Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
one of your intro courses requires you to get your A+ cert anyway

and yes it is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do the rest of the MCSA tests compare to 410?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

It reminds me of those teachers that had me do programming exams on paper and wanted us to write out code by hand. What's the point of doing that? I feel that the exams would be much more forgiving if you had access to a powershell window.

My intro to programming class was like that. They had us write out pseudo code to make sure we understood the logical layout and concepts of coding. It felt annoying at first but I understand why they have you do it. Also get used to not having full access to a shell when testing. I don't know if they still do this but the Cisco tests I've taken (and failed) disable help and tab completion.

If I remember correctly there were a few questions on the 410 that ask for the best way to complete a task where the correct answer was still a CMD command and not Powershell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SaltLick posted:

I don't remember the numbers, but I remember for my MCSA Windows Server cert the first one was much harder. There is a lot you need to know for the MCSA and the most essential stuff (stuff that will basically be required knowledge for all those tests) is really tested on the first test. What, were there 3 tests? I think the 1st one really drilled you on FSMO roles and other pretty vital stuff whereas the other two took that knowledge somewhat for granted and started asking more specialized questions.

but please keep in mind that this is Microsoft and the way they handle selecting questions is probably magic so your experience may vary

quote:

If I remember correctly there were a few questions on the 410 that ask for the best way to complete a task where the correct answer was still a CMD command and not Powershell.

this is true

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

m.hache posted:

Thanks, book marked it and I'll start up tomorrow.

If anyone else can weigh in on http://www.amazon.ca/CompTIA-Security-SY0-401-Guide-Deluxe/dp/0789753332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430328547&sr=8-2&keywords=sy0-401

That'd be appreciated.

Ive heard a lot of praise for Gibsons 301 book, he has a 401, you may want to check into that.

Speaking of books, I just ordered the CCNA Data Center Library, it has a super fresh publication date of April 11 of this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Center-Offici...cna+data+center

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

My intro to programming class was like that. They had us write out pseudo code to make sure we understood the logical layout and concepts of coding. It felt annoying at first but I understand why they have you do it. Also get used to not having full access to a shell when testing. I don't know if they still do this but the Cisco tests I've taken (and failed) disable help and tab completion.

Oh it wasn't pseudocode. He was piping in the code directly to a compiler and dinging us for every syntax error.

Eonwe posted:

I don't remember the numbers, but I remember for my MCSA Windows Server cert the first one was much harder. There is a lot you need to know for the MCSA and the most essential stuff (stuff that will basically be required knowledge for all those tests) is really tested on the first test. What, were there 3 tests? I think the 1st one really drilled you on FSMO roles and other pretty vital stuff whereas the other two took that knowledge somewhat for granted and started asking more specialized questions.

but please keep in mind that this is Microsoft and the way they handle selecting questions is probably magic so your experience may vary

this is true

The test I did today had no mention of:

Trusts
FSMO Roles
User Creation
OU Management

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

ElGroucho posted:

ed: I can't believe I am memorizing IRQ bullshit right now

Lemme save you some time. There is NOTHING on IRQs in the current A+ exams(801 and 802). Don't bother studying anything that miiiight have seen common use before Windows XP.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 29, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

Lemme save you some time. There is NOTHING on IRQs in the current A+ exams(801 and 801). Don't bother studying anything that miiiight have seen common use before Windows XP.

:agreed:

the only exception is ports

yes you will need to what old rear end ports look by sight but I wouldn't study the Firewire ports tbh

also be able to look at a mobo and identify the parts on it

m.hache posted:

The test I did today had no mention of:

Trusts
FSMO Roles
User Creation
OU Management

wow

you got literally a completely different test than I did I guess

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought I was taking the wrong test at first.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Eonwe posted:

wow

you got literally a completely different test than I did I guess

The 410 has a pool of around 400 questions and they pick 40 of them at random. I didn't get any FSMO, OU or trust questions either. The User Creation question I got was the one I was thinking of where they want the CMD instead of Powershell.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

The 410 has a pool of around 400 questions and they pick 40 of them at random. I didn't get any FSMO, OU or trust questions either. The User Creation question I got was the one I was thinking of where they want the CMD instead of Powershell.

I got that one today too. It was like

"Which one of these commands can mass create users with the least amount of administrative effort" or something like that and it listed 4 valid ways to import users.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
microsoft exams are honestly awful to take

getting my Cisco certs and my Comptia certs were reasonably enjoyable, the Microsoft experience for certification is awful

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

m.hache posted:

I got that one today too. It was like

"Which one of these commands can mass create users with the least amount of administrative effort" or something like that and it listed 4 valid ways to import users.
Yup.

Really, make it hard but don't make my best option be checking the brain dump then walking it back to determine why that was the answer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

m.hache posted:

"How do you create a NIC Team in powershell" and they list 4 commands with slight variances in them that off hand I can't point out but given 5 seconds in powershell I could figure it out.

If it was my job to design a test that was easy for people to pass if they memorized test dumps, but hard for people with hands on practical experience, I think my tests would look just like Microsoft's.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If it was my job to design a test that was easy for people to pass if they memorized test dumps, but hard for people with hands on practical experience, I think my tests would look just like Microsoft's.

Sounds about right.

The kicker is I'm currently managing a small domain and I've rolled out a full array of features in here that they ask about on the exam, but "What's the first step to see the DNS cache" isn't exactly the first thing I remember. Give me 2 minutes in DNS manager though and I'll sure as hell be able to find it.

EDIT: I just checked and I had gotten that question right on the exam anyways but it was more of a guestimation than anything.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

microsoft exams are honestly awful to take

Great...

I'm taking an MCSA test next month and studying for it in part with TestOut's labs/software. Does anyone know how similar the TestOut test questions are to the actual exam?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This probably isn't going to fill you with a lot of confidence.

Wow, I didn't realize Testout still existed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This probably isn't going to fill you with a lot of confidence.

Wow, I didn't realize Testout still existed.

Yeah who knows. Maybe I'm just really bad at these tests.

Keep at it!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
for what its worth, WGU dropped TestOut as well for being very unlike the test

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
And if you are offered Transcender for free even, RUN AWAY.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:agreed:

Transcender is basically going to miss the forest for the trees in every way

When you are done with Transcender you'll know 100 minor facts about Windows Server you will never need but still not get the basic concepts

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
101 Hacks About Windows Server They Don't Want You To Know

34. Configure NTP settings in the registry!
65. Secure Your Website! HTTPS in IIS.
74. DNS Forwarding - or - 8.8.8.8
89. The Command Line, Part 1 - the "dir" command.

Don't miss our upcoming 'Advanced' series dedicated to the Get-ADUser command.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

for what its worth, WGU dropped TestOut as well for being very unlike the test

God I hope this is true because the way some of these questions are written really pisses me off.

Unrelated: Testout also likes to focus their quizzes on things they haven't bothered to teach you yet/hid in some two page text file.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Anyone recommend good practice exams for MTA certs?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Brocade offering up free training on vyatta. http://www.brocade.com/forms/jsp/nfv-certification/download.jsp?intcmp=lp_nfvcert_download_00001

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

God I hope this is true because the way some of these questions are written really pisses me off.

Unrelated: Testout also likes to focus their quizzes on things they haven't bothered to teach you yet/hid in some two page text file.

Taking an AD class right now with TestOut and it is poo poo. I miss my Cisco CCNA courses, now that was pretty well written!(except for the blatant adverts that were randomly shoved into parts of the curriculum)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Passed ICND1 today, it was honestly easier than I thought it would be. ICND2 in a couple of months I think.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Just passed ICND2 today with a 960. Woo!

I thought ICND1 was harder then ICND2. I barely squeaked by on ICND1.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Frag Viper posted:

:toot:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Frag Viper posted:

Grats! That's good to hear, taking a few days off before I dive into the material for ICND2.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Lotttts of STP and RSTP questions and there were a few OSPF, Frame Relay, and EIGRP simulations / simlets / testlets. Everything else was just troubleshooting. The ICND2 portion of Lammles book covered everything I encountered on the test. The CBT Nuggets ICND2 portion was also great at helping me pass. I'd pretty much read a chapter, then watch the corresponding CBT video and take every practice test I could.

There was no NAT or ACL stuff, I think that's all on the composite and ICND1 anyways.

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here

SaltLick posted:

Did 410 about 4 months ago and 411 a couple of weeks ago, and have to say 411 was alot harder for me. Atleast 50% of my questions were about NPS, RADIUS and DirectAccess, all of which I never use in my day to day work. 410 was probably only easier because most of it was about stuff I've been doing every day for the last 5 years.

Overall I think 411 was 50% NPS/RADIUS/DA and the rest was GPO's and DNS, with the odd straggler about DFS. A too many bloody powershell commands! Just one more...

Probably gonna do Sec+ after.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Solo posted:

Did 410 about 4 months ago and 411 a couple of weeks ago, and have to say 411 was alot harder for me. Atleast 50% of my questions were about NPS, RADIUS and DirectAccess, all of which I never use in my day to day work. 410 was probably only easier because most of it was about stuff I've been doing every day for the last 5 years.

Overall I think 411 was 50% NPS/RADIUS/DA and the rest was GPO's and DNS, with the odd straggler about DFS. A too many bloody powershell commands! Just one more...

Probably gonna do Sec+ after.

How common is DirectAccess in workplace environments anyways? It requires enterprise versions of windows and looks like a nightmare to set up so it can't be that common. Honestly I'm kind of wondering why it's a requirement at all.

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard
I work for a company with 8000+ end users running direct access so it is definitely around. Painful to administer but completely worth it.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

readingatwork posted:

How common is DirectAccess in workplace environments anyways? It requires enterprise versions of windows and looks like a nightmare to set up so it can't be that common. Honestly I'm kind of wondering why it's a requirement at all.

Actually isn't that bad to set up. I did my first DA deployment a few months ago - wasn't fun, but after going through it and understanding it better, I could probably hammer out a simple deployment in a couple hours if I had to.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

About...8 years ago, I took a Cisco Networking class my high school offered, and we to took the CCNA exam at the end of the class. I studied everything I could, and still came up short. Only 2 people out of like a dozen of us passed the CCNA. I feel like there must have been something finicky or super-strict about how the simulation parts of the exam wanted me to do particular things, because the questions were all easy. I even paid out of pocket to retake the exam, was as careful as I could be, and still didn't pass. It was pretty discouraging.

But now I'm at a career crossroads, and wondering if maybe I could use all these rudimentary networking skills I haven't forgotten to get into IT. If I wanted to take the CCNA exam again, uh, has it changed much in format since then? Can I expect same old console simulator problems?

Is there a good way brush up on the latest CCNA exam study material, or is 8 years long enough that I should just start from scratch, maybe even enroll in a class?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

FAT BATMAN posted:

About...8 years ago, I took a Cisco Networking class my high school offered, and we to took the CCNA exam at the end of the class. I studied everything I could, and still came up short. Only 2 people out of like a dozen of us passed the CCNA. I feel like there must have been something finicky or super-strict about how the simulation parts of the exam wanted me to do particular things, because the questions were all easy. I even paid out of pocket to retake the exam, was as careful as I could be, and still didn't pass. It was pretty discouraging.

But now I'm at a career crossroads, and wondering if maybe I could use all these rudimentary networking skills I haven't forgotten to get into IT. If I wanted to take the CCNA exam again, uh, has it changed much in format since then? Can I expect same old console simulator problems?

Is there a good way brush up on the latest CCNA exam study material, or is 8 years long enough that I should just start from scratch, maybe even enroll in a class?

CCNA curriculum has changed since then. Several things from the CCNP trickled down into it. At this point, the blanket statement should be for any aspiring CCNA takers - get Lammle's book, know it inside out, do his sims, pass. I killed my CCNA after going through his book easily.

http://www.amazon.ca/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I used Lammle as well

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Has anyone in here got a CCIE? I'm starting to feel like I'm at the point where I want to try and get the CCIE R&S. I've been doing networking (amongst server admin) for 8 years now and finally got my CCNP last year after dragging it out for so long that one of my first exams expired.
I'd really like some advice from someone who has done this already as to the best way to prepare? CBT Nuggets has always been my go-to for all of my Cisco training so far and has done me well, but is that sufficient for this?

As for lab equipment, here at work there is plenty of spare equipment I can dick around with. I've got spare 800 through to 4400 series routers, and 2960, 3560, 3750 switches that I can use. Will I need some of the big 4500+ series switches and the chassis' too or is it something I can get away without using?
I've read about some people recommending CSR1000v's to get it done, I've got a UCS ESXi environment for test stuff that I have access to with about 40 cores and 512GB ram spare right now which should be enough to run up a bunch of routers

Edit: gently caress me I found this linked on a cisco forum, is this for real?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Ahdinko posted:

Edit: gently caress me I found this linked on a cisco forum, is this for real?

I am working on my CCIE. I haven't taken the lab yet, so I can't attest to the actual topology on the Lab. That IPExpert topology is not as crazy as it looks at first glance. This is a wiring diagram, not the logical topology. Those are always more complicated than the actual logical drawing. Caveat: I haven't worked with IPExpert.
Let's break it down:
The ISP routers won't be under you control, they are to simulate multiple connections to the great big internet. You have multiple egress points to learn some traffic engineering. R21-25 are satellite offices
The area with R1 - R9 is your main corporate office. You have 4 switches to practice your L2 subjects and all routers are connected to the switches so you can make any combination of meshes between your routers. Just connecting two ports on a single VLAN will get you a point-to-point connection, multiple port in a VLAN can get you broadcast, private VLANs can give you point-to-multipoint, etc.
The other two areas are basically the same, with both switches acting as a psuedonode for all routers. So, yeah, it seems crazy at first, but it isn't so bad once you start putting the stuff together.

Anyway, best of luck on your journey to CCIE.