Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I've been inspired to go into adventure mode again thanks to these posts.

One question: My companion constantly tells me about poo poo I can go kill(rocs,hydras, armies, bandits, etc). Ending the conversation doesn't help. Is this A Thing now, or did I just happen to get a guy who really wants to make sure I know about every :iit: thing on the planet?

Great to hear! Also, yes; if you walk around town you'll overhear people telling each other these things too; it's not so much that they're warning you about stuff that it is small talk, apparently.

Pickled Tink posted:

You left out an important note about combat training. The material and quality of your weapon have an effect on how quickly you will learn. Better weapons slow learning down.

This was mentioned, briefly, but it does bear repeating! If you want to train a specific weapon you can up this faster if you find a really crappy one and/or wail on a sponge or something. Also, something I forgot to mention is that it's a good idea to train up wrestling and at least one weapon skill; grabbing a dude by the throat and going all out with a battleaxe is just as effective as it sounds.

(thank you also for your contributions to dragon-pummeling science)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Question about fortress mode. If I unforbid all of the practice bolts that have fallen into a channel, what happens to them? Do they get re-stacked? Or will my dorfs be filling their quivers with a single bolt at a time?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure it's the latter

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jothan posted:

Great to hear! Also, yes; if you walk around town you'll overhear people telling each other these things too; it's not so much that they're warning you about stuff that it is small talk, apparently.
I'd ask why they can't make small talk about the weather and the surrounding area, but this is Dwarf Fortress. They're lucky the weather isn't melting their faces off while the land beneath them makes the dead walk.

Speaking of which, I earned a title by beating up some goblin bandits. "The Sicknesses of Waddling." Charming.

All my traveling companion gained was an exciting introduction to the world of shield-bashing. Because he lost his weapon hand. I'm sure I could convince him to wield his axe again with inventory juggling, but :effort:.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bollig posted:

Question about fortress mode. If I unforbid all of the practice bolts that have fallen into a channel, what happens to them? Do they get re-stacked? Or will my dorfs be filling their quivers with a single bolt at a time?

It's the latter but with the most recent versions of DF they should be able to grab 20 or so single bolts.

Before they'd grab 2 individual bolts and go 'quiver full!' and of course it wouldn't be.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bollig posted:

They do not get stacked, but they will be collected and put back in the bins. Dwarfs that need bolts will load up their quivers until they have about 25 bolts total. For example, this guy has 27 assorted bolts in his quiver,

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Moridin920 posted:

It's the latter but with the most recent versions of DF they should be able to grab 20 or so single bolts.

Before they'd grab 2 individual bolts and go 'quiver full!' and of course it wouldn't be.

Angela Christine posted:

They do not get stacked, but they will be collected and put back in the bins. Dwarfs that need bolts will load up their quivers until they have about 25 bolts total. For example, this guy has 27 assorted bolts in his quiver,

Cool thanks.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Devlog time!

Toady posted:

Some time ago, I mentioned that as part of adding visitors to your fortress inn and tavern, we'd have more animal people running around. I put that in today -- there are now reasonably rare instances of animal people leaving the wilderness and becoming involved with civilizations. Our first was a red panda man that became an herbalist in a human village for some years before taking up a wandering life as a musician. In adventure mode, you can now play as animal people if they are close to a civilization. You can also play an adventurer from any population that has established itself as a regular part of life in a civilized site where you can normally play, so you could play an elf or even a goblin if some already live in a human city, say, but you can't currently select an amphibian person from the sewers. Next up we should have some dev log on fortress visitors!

Going to generate worlds until I get playable scorpion men.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Playing elves from dwarf civs might be fun.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Going to generate worlds until I get playable scorpion men.

The flying *iron whip* strikes the Reptile Man in the upper body.
The *iron whip* has lodged firmly in the wound!
Scorpion Man (To Reptile Man): Get over here!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited to be able to have fort citizens that aren't dwarfs.

You kind of can now but they don't really act like citizens so much as pets mechanics wise. Although any intelligent tame beast can become mayor (I like gremlin mayors).

\/\/\/ Since .34 at least

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 5, 2015

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

bollig posted:

Cool thanks.

Bins work with ammo now!?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
More adventure mode questions: Is the aggro system borked? I tracked down a vampire mentioned by one of my companions, accused her of being a night creature, she gave her speech, drew her knife...and then she just stood there. Accusing her again just had her spit at me*. Waiting around saw nothing happen. I vaguely recall that in past versions, uncovering a vampire had them attacking you right away.

Trying to attack her forced me to confirm with alt-y, although when I did attack her, nobody around seemed to care. But after I killed her, the nearby guards & my companions seemed to think I was an unhinged killer because of it. (Including the one that told me she was a vampire in the first place...)

*PROTIP: For free dodging training, find someone who'll spit at you repeatedly. Dodging out of the way of spit counts just as much as dodging actual attacks.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Bins work with ammo now!?
Yup. They have a for a while. They're also one of the few things where using bins doesn't cause massive job cancellation spam.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Haifisch posted:

More adventure mode questions: Is the aggro system borked? I tracked down a vampire mentioned by one of my companions, accused her of being a night creature, she gave her speech, drew her knife...and then she just stood there. Accusing her again just had her spit at me*. Waiting around saw nothing happen. I vaguely recall that in past versions, uncovering a vampire had them attacking you right away.

Trying to attack her forced me to confirm with alt-y, although when I did attack her, nobody around seemed to care. But after I killed her, the nearby guards & my companions seemed to think I was an unhinged killer because of it. (Including the one that told me she was a vampire in the first place...)

*PROTIP: For free dodging training, find someone who'll spit at you repeatedly. Dodging out of the way of spit counts just as much as dodging actual attacks.

Yup. They have a for a while. They're also one of the few things where using bins doesn't cause massive job cancellation spam.

You now have to alt-y against anything not currently assaulting you. I have no idea why she didn't attack you, but the people freaking out weren't freaking out because they think you just up and killed someone, it's because someone died in front of them. So, yes. The aggro system is a little funky, but i don't think you've gone and made any enemies for that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

More adventure mode questions: Is the aggro system borked?

Are you on the newest version? The aggro system was indeed borked but it should be fixed as of a couple updates ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm on 40.24, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Jothan posted:

You now have to alt-y against anything not currently assaulting you. I have no idea why she didn't attack you, but the people freaking out weren't freaking out because they think you just up and killed someone, it's because someone died in front of them. So, yes. The aggro system is a little funky, but i don't think you've gone and made any enemies for that.
I was just wondering because when asking people about myself(after telling them about conflicts where I slew bandits/the vampire) they say I'm a killer and unhinged. I know the "death is all around us...begone, fear!" poo poo is just normal ":derp: aaaaa death :derp:" stuff.

Although as long as I'm not making enemies because of it, it doesn't really matter if people think I'm a psycho. :v:

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
So last time I played seriously was probably back in 2011-12 or so, I got scared off by the military update, is there a recommended youtube tutorial series for getting up to date with the new hotness?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Konig posted:

So last time I played seriously was probably back in 2011-12 or so, I got scared off by the military update, is there a recommended youtube tutorial series for getting up to date with the new hotness?

Capt Duck's latest stuff is current.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
After all this talk of adventure mode and now knowing I can train throwing stuff with macros I fired up DF after a long while to give it a go. And wow, I don't die right away! There's just something gratifying about biting a guy's nose off then throwing it through his own arm, or holding a guy by the head while my goblin maceman pulps random parts of him.

What other cool stuff can I do? How else can I power myself up quickly other than by throwing stuff and grappling the local wildlife?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:frog: posted:

If the sparrow man bard visiting the fortress wrote a ballad about his experiences, would he set a lighter mood and sing about how all of the guests took their clothes off and held them in bundles while the dwarven fish cleaner recounted the tale of how the first dwarven queen came to power? Or would he travel the darker road and sing about the human swordsman that attacked the goblin dancer outside the gates, cutting him down without regard for dwarven law?

I think the clothing bug is caused by equipment code. Once I plugged the visitors into the new activities, they thought they needed to have citizen clothing sets defined and found they did not, so they prepared all of their clothes for storage. The murder of the goblin dancer is more likely the sort of thing you should expect. Visitors to the fortress ask themselves if they would be welcome before they come, but they can't account for other potential guests that might consider themselves at war or have a personal problem with them. It's possible we'll have some "neutral territory" behavior in place to curb the fighting if it is too common, but there's also room for the sheriff for crimes that are committed. It'll be lend a little spirit to the fortress, in any case.

Well, that's it. I'm excited to see some of these new social interactions. :holy:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

:frog: posted:

Well, that's it. I'm excited to see some of these new social interactions. :holy:

I can't begin to express how excited I am to watch this develop. It's incredible watching an RNG spit out a setting that lives in this detail.

plscks posted:

What other cool stuff can I do? How else can I power myself up quickly other than by throwing stuff and grappling the local wildlife?

Swimmin' and elf weaponry. Swimming still seems to be the biggest attribute booster, followed closely by drowning, and it looks like after some experimentation that climbing will train focus which will make it into that last post if I can confirm it. (Said experimentation was me falling down a hole and only managing to climb out after gaining 8 levels of climb, and then noticing I'd gained like two levels of focus)

If you want to get way stronger there's some incredibly overpowered goodies you can get your hands on if you want to raid a Tower or if you're feeling particularily suicidal a Vault. These are serious endgame things though and for that and other reasons you shouldn't do either of those until you're done grinding. They'll kill you very easily at any level in a game well known for how easily you die.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Come now, there's no need for spoilers. The first thing we do with every release is chop it in half and look for new poo poo in the spilled guts.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

Come now, there's no need for spoilers. The first thing we do with every release is chop it in half and look for new poo poo in the spilled guts.

Oh, sweet. In that case, for anyone who doesn't know, if you shove a necromancer into a locker and steal his book and read it (so far the one useful application of the reader skill) you become a necromancer, which means you no longer need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and you can raise 10 undead per turn for free forever. Some of your attributes also shoot up, but then you can no longer train them. There's a few other night creatures you can turn into for various benefits which all come with a huge attr gain and then the cap.

I have not personally been to a vault but I do know that it contains a horde of angels, far and away the most powerful entities in the game, and a slab containing a demon's true name (which probably also requires the reading skill but I haven't checked for myself).

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Anyone have that old recap about an adventurer fighting night dust horrors or something, and he turns into the same thing and becomes immortal but loses all his limbs and has to gnaw enemies to death? I think it ended when one of the original monsters kicked all his teeth out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The true name thing would be way cooler if you didn't die of crippling FPS death before you got anywhere near it since usually demons with vaults like to be the rulers of goblin nations which like to have 15,000 goblins in one dark fortress for you to navigate through.

At some point it's like I'm controlling the Mars probe; hit left and wait 10-15 seconds for my dude to move 1 square.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I WISH my characters had the life expectancy of a Mars probe. Mine usually get maimed by a tame duck or whatever less than a day after waking for the first time.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I just spent a couple hours grinding all the combat skills on my adventurer to legendary so I could completely exterminate a necromancer's tower and read 'The Unabridged Immortality' to turn into one myself, before storming the Vault of the God of Chaos and War and slaughtering the mighty Doom of Iskak!

Then I dodged off some stairs and instantly died five tiles from the slab.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I starved to death trying to figure out how to cross a stream.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Plek posted:

I WISH my characters had the life expectancy of a Mars probe. Mine usually get maimed by a tame duck or whatever less than a day after waking for the first time.

That's because they long for death from the moment you possess them. Yet all they can do is cry bitter tears.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Mygna posted:

I just spent a couple hours grinding all the combat skills on my adventurer to legendary so I could completely exterminate a necromancer's tower and read 'The Unabridged Immortality' to turn into one myself, before storming the Vault of the God of Chaos and War and slaughtering the mighty Doom of Iskak!

That... is a surprisingly relevant title.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Angela Christine posted:

That's because they long for death from the moment you possess them. Yet all they can do is cry bitter tears.

poo poo, that was a thing. Does anybody have that dev log?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

poo poo, that was a thing. Does anybody have that dev log?

Greiger posted:

In adventure mode your own character can cry. But we do not notice unless we closely examine our inventories, and it does not stop them from doing horrible things.

It is confirmed, we are uncaring gods/goddesses taking complete control over some poor sap. They see everything we make them do, they feel everything. They watch under no control as we mercilessly butcher their neighbors and friends. They cannot scream, all they can do is silently weep as the puppetmaster makes their arm swing the sword.”

:froggonk: posted:

Greiger’s is actually correct… sadly enough. The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can’t express themselves or take control… they can only cry.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
toady
Imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

toady
Has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwarf Fortress 2014 : I have no mouth and I must scream

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Mygna posted:

That is sad but not unexpected.

On a side note, how do I find a vault? I know there's a Legends Viewer program, but I'm on OS X and can't find an alternative. I can see that there are a couple in my world in Legends, but I have no idea how to actually find them in game.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

plscks posted:

That is sad but not unexpected.

On a side note, how do I find a vault? I know there's a Legends Viewer program, but I'm on OS X and can't find an alternative. I can see that there are a couple in my world in Legends, but I have no idea how to actually find them in game.

There is no in-game way of finding them yet, as far as I know. Only way to do it is:

• Look up the map square in legends viewer. Failing that, look up the name in legends mode, export the xml file and get the map coordinates out of it manually
  • Choose to embark a fortress in a copy of the world, find the map square (you can display the right coordinates by hitting n and placing a note in the top-left-most square, or just count manually)
  • The exact position is the one tile in this map square which you can't embark on

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Mygna posted:

It is inevitable.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

world sites posted:

Civilized World Population

11 Dwarves
6009 Humans
350 Elves
106465 Goblins
Total: 112835

:iit:

Does this mean I won't get any migrants and there'll only be four dudes left at the mountainhome?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

alphabrawl posted:

:iit:

Does this mean I won't get any migrants and there'll only be four dudes left at the mountainhome?
You'll get up to 11 historical migrants. Starting dwarves are randomly generated. You may get generated additional migrants depending on if that count is only counting living historical figures, or if it is also including the greater population of the civ which is non historical. Nope, you have a shitload of goblins. Congratulations. Rebuild Dwarven civilization!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm slowly catching up on the thread after not playing since 2014 was released. I made a new world, dominated by a dragon and a brush titan, where there is only one dwarven civilization left. They are, of course, at war with humans, goblins and elves. My expedition leader became Queen shortly before the first year ended. My question is, there was talk of a bug in this version where retired forts would always be taken over by the first group to attack them after they went to ai control; has this been fixed yet?