Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

What are the requirements? Just Server 2012 + Win 8 Enterprise right?

You can pretty much only get it with an Enterprise Agreement / Software Assurance... I think the cheapest you can pull that off is something like ~$100/year per PC. But that gives you Windows 7/8/10 Enterprise and then you can use Direct Access / Applocker / Windows to Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have a permissions issue that I can't figure out and what's ticking me off is that I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but I can't see what it is.

I have deployed a brand new windows image to a server after sysprepping the gold image, telling it to preserve credentials. I have created a new user that is in the administrators group on the local server.

When I am logged on at the console and try to create a new file under c:\inetpub\[WebRootFolder] by RightClick-New the only option (instead of a list of the new files types to create, including New Text File) is New Folder with the little security shield next to it:

If I right click on my desktop, the full list of file types appears.

Creating a new file on my desktop and copying it to the web root, I get the following security popup:

If I click continue, the file copies just fine. Similarly, I cannot save a notepad file into that location unless I've "Run As Administrator" for notepad.

Clearly this is a permissions issue but I can't figure out how to remove this block as this is a development server and I do a ton of dev work straight on the console.

I've tried moving the UAC slider down to never notify and have verified that my logon is a local log on with local admin rights. This server is not a member of a domain.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 1, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Take a look at your NTFS ACL, paste it here if you'd like, your Administrators group probably has limited permissions similar to System32.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

At a remote office I'm going to be migrating DHCP duties from the current DHCP server, our router, to the win2k8 r2 server that is located in the same office. I've put together a checklist of things to do to make the change but I'm wondering if I should delete all the DNS records for clients in this subnet just before I switch on the new DHCP service. Currently DNS records at this location are kinda...screwy (duplicates, and it looks like there may be AD replication issues, but thats a whole other problem), and I'd like the machines to pull fresh addresses from the new server and then update DNS with the new address. The subnet isn't changing, it's staying 192.168.30.x/24. It's only about 35 workstations at this location so we're not talking a large number of addresses. Am I overthinking this and is this step completely unnecessary?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am (I'm running tcpview, procmon, etc, as well), and that was my assumption at first too. But WebDAV isn't installed on the server, and the feature/component isn't on this workstation either. I tried fooling around with the network provider order too, no effect.

Weird, I'd be half tempted to check out what it's actually requesting with tcpdump or wireshark.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I have a valid license to upgrade a machine from Win 8.1 to Win 8.1 Pro. The upgrade process keeps failing with a non-specific error ("Something went wrong"). So far I have tried:

-Completely updating the machine​
-sfc /scannow
-Disabling Nalpeiron Licensing Service
-Clean boot
-Refreshing the computer
-Doing a clean reinstall
-Calling Microsoft support (complete dead end)

Am I missing anything? I can't think of what else to try.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

theperminator posted:

Weird, I'd be half tempted to check out what it's actually requesting with tcpdump or wireshark.

It's not actually requesting anything. There are 3 tcp syns over about 15-20 seconds, times out with no ack because the destination doesn't permit port 80 inbound, and then starts the SMB authentication over 445. It's the weirdest goddamn thing I have seen in a long time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thread might like this..

So I'm the Active Directory Lead for a major airline. They use RSA for remote access and they're stuck on 7.1 coz they're stupid and gently caress, please, don't make me explain. So 7.1 isn't supported for Server 2012, only 2008 R2. So I look at their release doco for 7.1 and they say 'only a domain controller running 2008 R2 in 2003 Active Directory Emulation mode'.

What? Go and poke the Solution Architects and ask what the gently caress is this, I've never heard of it. They all shrug and say they haven't either. So I email back RSA saying there is no such thing as 2003 Emulation mode and do you mean the functional level of the forest? Tech support jockey gets a bit pissy and says but I refer you to page blah of our lovely document, it says it in there. I say I don't care what you've written in your document, you're making the poo poo up. I need to be sure you mean functional level of the forest because huge corporate production network, airline, you get the idea?

He comes back later and says yes, their documentation is 'worded poorly' and they meant functional level. This is RSA, as in the loving huge vendor of cryptographic solutions. This is the release documentation for their flagship product, the thing that generates the key tokens and you give to all your users.

IT. We make it up as we go along.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

parasyte posted:

Enterprise is volume-licensing only, but isn't quite how it used to be. Enterprise used to only be available with software assurance, but last year it was changed to be a separate license. Which is pretty great for people who don't update since it's less expensive to get those Enterprise features, but it's more expensive initially to get any of the Software Assurance features since Pro-only SA was discontinued.

That's still $100/year per machine just to let it have Enterprise on it though? Were I to go that route the Microsoft licensing portion of the IT budget would be about half of what I budget for repairs and replacement in any year. The total number I'd be looking at is a drop in the bucket of the overall budget but I'd much rather throw that money at upgrading some lovely piece of our network infrastructure somewhere instead.

In conclusion goddamnit Microsoft just let me use DirectAccess without a subscription :sigh:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tony Montana posted:

He comes back later and says yes, their documentation is 'worded poorly' and they meant functional level. This is RSA, as in the loving huge vendor of cryptographic solutions. This is the release documentation for their flagship product, the thing that generates the key tokens and you give to all your users.

IT. We make it up as we go along.

Because the IT security industry is nothing more than racketeering at times. Symantec managed PKI is impressively dumb, watch as I take 2 minutes to export the non-exportable private keys so the infosec guys at this 60,000 employee company can login remotely using a Linux.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take a look at your NTFS ACL, paste it here if you'd like, your Administrators group probably has limited permissions similar to System32.

That was it. When I added the user explicitly to the folder, it worked fine.

What I don't understand is that this user account is added to the computername\Administrators group and this group as full control to the folder. Any idea how that could happen?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mr. Clark2 posted:

At a remote office I'm going to be migrating DHCP duties from the current DHCP server, our router, to the win2k8 r2 server that is located in the same office. I've put together a checklist of things to do to make the change but I'm wondering if I should delete all the DNS records for clients in this subnet just before I switch on the new DHCP service. Currently DNS records at this location are kinda...screwy (duplicates, and it looks like there may be AD replication issues, but thats a whole other problem), and I'd like the machines to pull fresh addresses from the new server and then update DNS with the new address. The subnet isn't changing, it's staying 192.168.30.x/24. It's only about 35 workstations at this location so we're not talking a large number of addresses. Am I overthinking this and is this step completely unnecessary?

Turn on DNS scavenging and secure dynamic DNS updates, that should fix your "screwy" DNS records. You don't have to delete the DNS records when you switch to the new dhcp server, everything will self resolve eventually once you have DNS scavenging and secure dynamic DNS updates turned on.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

devmd01 posted:

Turn on DNS scavenging and secure dynamic DNS updates, that should fix your "screwy" DNS records. You don't have to delete the DNS records when you switch to the new dhcp server, everything will self resolve eventually once you have DNS scavenging and secure dynamic DNS updates turned on.

Muchas gracias senor!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

Out of curiosity, any other manufacturers have similarly easy to configure site to site VPN setups?

Also, what's the deal on reselling Meraki stuff? It looks like since it's bound to an account once you're done with it your options are trash it and that's about it.

Dragging this one back from the past, but I've been out of the country for a week :toot:. Sophos have RED boxes which are a plug-and-play remote office VPN solution, it looks like Sonicwall are moving in that direction with their TZ-series coming with GMS and tying back to an NSA appliance at a central location as well.

Expect everything to do it soon, basically.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

DirectAccess is so good :D

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
If anyone is interested, SCCM 2016 Technical Preview is available for download

Here!

Hopefully I'll have some free time this week to stand up a VM and try it out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hasn't that been available since a while now? It looks like either January or October. Man MS makes this stuff so hard to figure out.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This one was just announced from Ignite this morning. I figured if people like Johan Arwidmark are making a big deal out of it, it must be new.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server-c...brid-cloud.aspx

Looks like its a new revision of the technical preview. It adds things like DSC, native SSH and a bunch of :yayclod: monitoring

Edit - SCCM 2012 and 2012 R2 Service Pack next week

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmg...on-manager.aspx

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 4, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sacred Cow posted:

Edit - SCCM 2012 and 2012 R2 Service Pack next week

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmg...on-manager.aspx

Yay, I'm so happy I can do Windows 10 in SCCM 2012 R2.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nano Server is really exciting. About time, too.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

m.hache posted:

Look into the GPO itself. For each folder being redirected open up the properties and look for the following:

Make sure the "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed" is selected. This should migrate the info back to their local profiles.

If it's a lot of content the login could take a looong time.

ok so yes. it is a LOT of content. In testing it does the whole thing during "applying folder redir policy" so users can't do anything until it's done syncing. Yuck.

Here's what I think I'll do - is move the folder redirect shares somewhere else but keep the GPO pointing to the original place. that way they will have "blank" folders. Then remove the GPO. Then tell them "all your stuff is in your U: drive" :-/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Jeoh posted:

Nano Server is really exciting. About time, too.

Could some explain what's so cool about nano-server?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

One of the interesting things is being able to give you developers a true "private cloud" experience on prem. Their apps get staged and deployed using DSC, developers monitor via Visual studio, and you significantly close the footprint on a windows instance.

You begin to turn windows from a pet-centric platform to a cattle. Plus, RIP wow64 finally.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

ok so yes. it is a LOT of content. In testing it does the whole thing during "applying folder redir policy" so users can't do anything until it's done syncing. Yuck.

Here's what I think I'll do - is move the folder redirect shares somewhere else but keep the GPO pointing to the original place. that way they will have "blank" folders. Then remove the GPO. Then tell them "all your stuff is in your U: drive" :-/

Honestly, I would just cut them over small groups at a time.

It may suck that they have to wait 10 minutes to log in but that's just once. If your end game was to get them onto the local systems just rip off the proverbial band aid. Send out emails to the select groups warning them of the slow logins a few days prior and you should be fine.

Alternatively, if you don't mind keeping them as roaming profiles, use robocopy to move them. You can maintain permissions that way so you just need to redirect the GPO to the new drive

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
So this is pretty great. It lacks the audit trail of a 3rd party appliance/service but I'm leveraging it to finally get us away from using the same local admin password on all of our servers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We use TPAM from Dell/Quest so this new tool is redundant for us, but it's really good that MS is releasing it!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hihifellow posted:

So this is pretty great. It lacks the audit trail of a 3rd party appliance/service but I'm leveraging it to finally get us away from using the same local admin password on all of our servers.

That looks great. I'm going to push this out to our clients too as it's a goddamn nightmare hodgepodge of local admin passwords on our clients. Time to test!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hihifellow posted:

That.....that is insanely cool. Not a week ago, we had an entire department freaking out because their new IT manager started randomizing local admin passwords on systems (and writing them down, of course). This department had everything cryptowalled last year and has a long history of terrible practices, mind you. This may prove useful for those bitching about inconvenience.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Roargasm posted:

More of a server 2012 thing but try the following commands in Powershell to make sure everything is enabled:

Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Desktop"
set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp' -name "UserAuthentication" -Value 1
set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server'-name "fDenyTSConnections" -Value 0

This worked immediately, no reboot even! Thank you very much.

Demie posted:

If you want to RDP into a Win8/2012+ puter from your Win7 desktop, you have to go into the win8 VM's firewall settings and disable security on remote desktop protocol rules. That's the only way I have found to make it work.

This makes perfect sense. I remember all the times I've seen "cannot verify the identity of the remote computer" before. I guess they've tightned things up a bit.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Agrikk posted:

That was it. When I added the user explicitly to the folder, it worked fine.

What I don't understand is that this user account is added to the computername\Administrators group and this group as full control to the folder. Any idea how that could happen?

It's a UAC thing: local console sessions running under credentials that are in the local Administrators group are actually running as standard user accounts. When you try to access something, and the only way you'll be granted access is because you belong to the local Administrators group, then the calling application (Windows Explorer) needs to be elevated.

Notepad works when you Run as Administrator because it's elevated. But you can't elevate all of Windows Explorer; all those UAC prompts you get are only for the underlying call -- i.e. to enumerate a folder or modify a file. If a particular call isn't UAC-aware then it's going to have its access denied.

So that's why if you add your user account directly you won't get cockblocked by UAC. It's a pain so I usually work around it by remotely accessing the machine's ADMIN$ share, which works in my environment because we don't have Remote UAC enabled.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms15-may ugh what a month

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone know of a good checklist to go through when replacing a DC from 2003 to with a new one with 2012 R2.

I've read over http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro...erver-2012.aspx but this feels like way too little.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I did that exact upgrade a year ago and honestly there's not much more to it than that link. We were running constant domain controller health checks throughout the whole process (dcdiag on 2012 r2 is pretty extensive, and repadmin /showrepl still works) and verifying service records were correct in DNS but beyond that there really wasn't anything else.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Methanar posted:

Does anyone know of a good checklist to go through when replacing a DC from 2003 to with a new one with 2012 R2.

I've read over http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro...erver-2012.aspx but this feels like way too little.

Anyone know of a good check list for 2008 R2 to 2012 R2? I imagine it's even more straight forward, but it'd be nice to have steps laid out.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Look on the bright side, pretty much every single update this month is a critical security update, so it's not like you have to spend any time investigating before approving them for installation.

:suicide:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Shuntly posted:

It's a UAC thing: local console sessions running under credentials that are in the local Administrators group are actually running as standard user accounts. When you try to access something, and the only way you'll be granted access is because you belong to the local Administrators group, then the calling application (Windows Explorer) needs to be elevated.

Notepad works when you Run as Administrator because it's elevated. But you can't elevate all of Windows Explorer; all those UAC prompts you get are only for the underlying call -- i.e. to enumerate a folder or modify a file. If a particular call isn't UAC-aware then it's going to have its access denied.

So that's why if you add your user account directly you won't get cockblocked by UAC. It's a pain so I usually work around it by remotely accessing the machine's ADMIN$ share, which works in my environment because we don't have Remote UAC enabled.

Huh. Well whadaya know about that?

This was really interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok Win Enterprise thread, evaluate and discuss.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3062591
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3062591.aspx

Being at the leading edge is fun, when it's not breaking poo poo either now or in the future. It's gone from schema update from some random on a forum (lol no we're not doing that) to being now an official MS thing.

I'm thinking of reasons to shoot my Desktop Manager down but maybe he's really onto something this time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Its on my to do list on back burner, one of the domains I manage only has 100ish machines, what could go wrong?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Ok Win Enterprise thread, evaluate and discuss.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3062591
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3062591.aspx

Being at the leading edge is fun, when it's not breaking poo poo either now or in the future. It's gone from schema update from some random on a forum (lol no we're not doing that) to being now an official MS thing.

I'm thinking of reasons to shoot my Desktop Manager down but maybe he's really onto something this time.

I posted it halfway up the this page and it's not a bad idea, especially if you have nothing managing local admin passwords except a spreadsheet you hope people keep updated (or worse, the same password for everything (like us :cry:))

As far as impact it's pretty drat minor. I mean if your AD is held together with rope and ritual sacrifices yeah it might break something, but if you're in that situation you've got more important things to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hihifellow posted:

your AD is held together with rope and ritual sacrifices

A Challenger Appears! (for new thread title)