Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Being a dickhead and making GBS threads rounds at anything that gets within my engagement envelope? Even the pubbies aren't stupid enough to steam ahead in a straight line these days. Which means playing guess the course and speed, which means 1-2 hits per volley, tops. Fire makes pubbies panic, and every other game at least one Fuso will listen and take a single volley potshot at whoever I left unable to turn, or whose engines I broke, which generally will actually hit and gently caress them right up.

You should fix your problem of missing 10/12 shots before you make any judgements on AP/HE. I assume you're in the Cleveland because you're even making this argument.

Unless there some inverse relationship between HE hits and module damage, you aren't even reliably doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Man, gently caress the 4.5km range on the Farragut's upgraded torps.

But gently caress yeah those guns:

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

orange juche posted:

Too bad there's no built in audio chat, then you could shout Allahu Ackbar and blast the nasheed saleel al sawarim as you crash your ship into another one.

I honestly prefer Ummati qad laha fajrun or Habbat karreeh but yes definitely.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, they're currently livestreaming from the supertest and it's pretty much confirmed at this point that BB players have been spoiled so far in terms of gun range thanks to the pagodas on IJN BBs. The New MexicoColorado :downs: (Tier 7) has a gun range of 15.2km before you upgrade the FCS. This is gonna be such a shitstorm on the forums. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 4, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
http://www.twitch.tv/wargaming/v/4693920

Armor, ship nerd out, us bb news, and Montana News :stare:.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

So, they're currently livestreaming from the supertest and it's pretty much confirmed at this point that BB players have been spoiled so far in terms of gun range thanks to the pagodas on IJN BBs. The New Mexico (Tier 7) has a gun range of 15.2km before you upgrade the FCS.
Kinda glad I picked up the Warspite because I guess it's good practice for US BBs then.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Found this on a forum, figured it could interest some of you.

Supposed to be win ratio per tier per ship type.

Red - IJN DDs
Orange - US DDs
Green - IJN CAs
Yellow - US CAs
Blue - IJN BBs
Purple - US CVs

More russian stats there :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6j7Fl_fmw

Krogort fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 4, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It seems to make a decent amount of sense, though I've no clue why the Fubuki has such a lower win ratio than the Hatsuharu, and seems to trend along the same lines as the ships themselves.

That is, a bunch of the high-tier lines just don't feel like upgrades at the moment, and that's a big issue. Comparing the Mogami to its "upgrade" the Myoko as an example, you're trading less armor, HP, maneuverability, and concealment for a small(though admittedly decent) increase in firing speed(though the turret turn speed is half again as long for some reason), and very, VERY slight boosts to torpedoes(which are hard to use with cruisers anyways) and AA. The placement of the third forward turret is worse too. Hell, the Tier 9 Ibuki is effectively just a Mogami with better torpedoes for that matter. Same guns(except with slightly worse turn speed), same maneuverability, less concealment and same armor/HP. The high-tier US cruisers run into a similar issue, and the said about some of the mid-tier IJN destroyers the better.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Crash74 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/wargaming/v/4693920

Armor, ship nerd out, us bb news, and Montana News :stare:.

Oh my god their historical military adviser can not handle the camera. I'm sure he is bright and knows his stuff but they should not have put him up there at all.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Oh my god their historical military adviser can not handle the camera. I'm sure he is bright and knows his stuff but they should not have put him up there at all.
Hahaha yeah jesus, I feel kinda bad for him.

Magni posted:

So, they're currently livestreaming from the supertest and it's pretty much confirmed at this point that BB players have been spoiled so far in terms of gun range thanks to the pagodas on IJN BBs. The New MexicoColorado :downs: (Tier 7) has a gun range of 15.2km before you upgrade the FCS. This is gonna be such a shitstorm on the forums. :allears:
It looks like you start seeing range parity starting with the NorCal though: it had something like 23.3km range with the upgraded FCS, and the Iowa had 21.2km before it's upgrade. Montana is 23.6km so it's only outranged by the Yamato by a kilometre or so.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Faildivisions are never not funny. The Langley used up pretty much all his torp bombers trying to nail me. They basically die at like one plane kill a second once within 25mm range.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Oh my god, the Wyoming is beautiful.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Oh my god, the Wyoming is beautiful.

It looks like it could be quite the pubstomp machine, being able to run away while still dumping a rear armament of eight 12-inchers on tunnelvisioning players chasing it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Listening to him try and explain turbo-electric propulsion or the all-or-nothing armor concept was painful

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I take it back. Torpbombers are really cool, and when you get about 10 into the broadside of a BB, and hear the really bassy sound of your achievement...pretty satisfying.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magni posted:

They better upgrade the gently caress out of the armor on the US BBs or nerf the IJN BBs to be equivalent or slightly better range, because being able to drop shells on enemy BBs a full 6-8km before their guns can even target you is just going to make literally noone use the US option.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Polikarpov posted:

Listening to him try and explain turbo-electric propulsion or the all-or-nothing armor concept was painful

Oh god I've got to watch this if it's somebody stumbling over basic ideas like "rather than using big expensive gears to go from the fast turbine shaft to the slow prop shaft use batteries and electric motors. Problem is it was heavier and treaty limits happened" and "put all the armor around the poo poo you need to float and fight, and if it isn't one of those, don't armor it so you don't set shells off."

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

xthetenth posted:

Oh god I've got to watch this if it's somebody stumbling over basic ideas like "rather than using big expensive gears to go from the fast turbine shaft to the slow prop shaft use batteries and electric motors. Problem is it was heavier and treaty limits happened" and "put all the armor around the poo poo you need to float and fight, and if it isn't one of those, don't armor it so you don't set shells off."

He didn't even manage to get the second idea across before time ran out. He seems like he can speak when he's not overthinking stuff and getting all tense. He just needs a lot more practice staying on a single topic as well as doing things while being pushed around by multiple sensory inputs.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

After two rounds against a Lexington in my Saipan I decided to give up and take a break for tonight.

Also, the next torpbomber upgrade makes them faster and more durable, but the torp damage is back to old levels. Is that worth it?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

orange juche posted:

They better upgrade the gently caress out of the armor on the US BBs or nerf the IJN BBs to be equivalent or slightly better range, because being able to drop shells on enemy BBs a full 6-8km before their guns can even target you is just going to make literally noone use the US option.

Insert name here posted:

It looks like you start seeing range parity starting with the NorCal though: it had something like 23.3km range with the upgraded FCS, and the Iowa had 21.2km before it's upgrade. Montana is 23.6km so it's only outranged by the Yamato by a kilometre or so.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, I get your point, but for example, unless they only begin the US BB line at T8 or so, the Kongo and the Fuso are going to absolutely dominate their US counterparts, no contest. If the disparity in range is something like 6-7km at that tier, I can't think of a single person who would be willing to sit through what is essentially being in a shooting gallery for IJN BBs for 2 tiers.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Michaellaneous posted:

After two rounds against a Lexington in my Saipan I decided to give up and take a break for tonight.

Also, the next torpbomber upgrade makes them faster and more durable, but the torp damage is back to old levels. Is that worth it?

Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed against a higher tier carrier. Carriers are notorious to get outmatched anything 1 tier above. In your case, the Lex was 2 tiers above, so there isn't much you can do. Just don't engage his fighters unless you have a 2 to 1 ratio and some cruisers are nearby.

Although the torp damage is lower, the upgrade is well worth it, especially if you do not do manual drops. There's nothing more infuriating as a carrier player than seeing your torpedoes crawl toward a target only to miss because they were not fast enough. Some ships can literally out run them. Less damage for more chances to hit. Thats the proper way to see it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

orange juche posted:

Yeah, I get your point, but for example, unless they only begin the US BB line at T8 or so, the Kongo and the Fuso are going to absolutely dominate their US counterparts, no contest. If the disparity in range is something like 6-7km at that tier, I can't think of a single person who would be willing to sit through what is essentially being in a shooting gallery for IJN BBs for 2 tiers.
I mean we'll see how it works out when they come out but the Warspite performs mostly fine with it's short range so I'm not too worried right now. :shrug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed against a higher tier carrier. Carriers are notorious to get outmatched anything 1 tier above. In your case, the Lex was 2 tiers above, so there isn't much you can do. Just don't engage his fighters unless you have a 2 to 1 ratio and some cruisers are nearby.

Although the torp damage is lower, the upgrade is well worth it, especially if you do not do manual drops. There's nothing more infuriating as a carrier player than seeing your torpedoes crawl toward a target only to miss because they were not fast enough. Some ships can literally out run them. Less damage for more chances to hit. Thats the proper way to see it.

What do you mean "not manual drops". I understand these words but surely only really awful people (pubbies) would not manually drop their torpedos?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Michaellaneous posted:

What do you mean "not manual drops". I understand these words but surely only really awful people (pubbies) would not manually drop their torpedos?

There are a few instances where you will have no choice. You cannot move your mouse outside the edge of the map, thus if a player is right against it, you might not be able to manually drop the torpedoes next to him. In those case, you will be forced to do a normal click and hope it hits.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

There are a few instances where you will have no choice. You cannot move your mouse outside the edge of the map, thus if a player is right against it, you might not be able to manually drop the torpedoes next to him. In those case, you will be forced to do a normal click and hope it hits.

Yeah but that is a rare case I assumed, it only happened once.
If I could select the spread with the automatic run I would probably do it more often. But as it is, manual is just too good to not use.

For bombers I still use automatic except for slow or stopped targets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

Idk, I don't take shots when people are tokyo drifting against the map edge, because the auto-plotter is complete bullshit when it comes to calculating a torp run against a map edge, and like you said, you can't get your mouse outside the map bounds.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also I am not sure what makes the bomber-hitcircle so huge, seemingly at random.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

orange juche posted:

Idk, I don't take shots when people are tokyo drifting against the map edge, because the auto-plotter is complete bullshit when it comes to calculating a torp run against a map edge, and like you said, you can't get your mouse outside the map bounds.

In those case, you are 100% right. Its not worth the try. There are other instances tho, such as a carrier that clings to the side in the hopes he won't get spotted or someone who is the last player on his team. There is also the odd times when you sent your planes, the guy starts tokyo drifting and you dont want to waste all that travel time because other targets are too far.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

orange juche posted:

It's not all that bad. It isn't too hard to close within 14 km in a Fuso, after all, and even though New Mexico's slower the armor is better. Battleships aren't as dangerous outside 15 km anyway; citadel hits at that range are only random, and the flight time is slow enough you can dodge shells in a battleship.

The range disparity is obnoxious on Kawachi because normal engagement range for battleships and cruisers is outside Kawachi range, I doubt it'll be so bad driving a battleship with cruiser range.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Also I am not sure what makes the bomber-hitcircle so huge, seemingly at random.

The pilots freak out when they start getting shot at by fighters/AAA.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I must be doing it wrong, because every time I try a manual drop with a two squadron pattern most of the torpedoes miss the target because the ship changed what it was doing while i switched between the planes :shrug:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 5, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NTRabbit posted:

I must be doing it wrong, because every time I try a manual drop all of the torpedoes miss the target :shrug:
Yeah I had this issue for a while but keep at it and you'll get it eventually and it's so much better than auto dropping.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
My team keeps blocking my torps, so frustrating.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

s1ppycup posted:

My team keeps blocking my torps, so frustrating.

Luckily it's self-punishing (do keep in mind launch angles).

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Torp them anyway, if you are not already. Watching the chat explosion will magically cure your frustration.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I must be doing it wrong, because every time I try a manual drop with a two squadron pattern most of the torpedoes miss the target because the ship changed what it was doing while i switched between the planes :shrug:

You can hold shift and press 2-3-4-5 to select multiple squadrons and command them as a pair. If I'm not specifically doing a split attack I usually group my torp bombers and use them as a single unit.

I did not have a single game tonight in either my Independence or Saipan where I was not overmatched either in quantity or tier. My first game was Ind v Indx2, second game Ind v Ind+Sai, third game Ind v Ranger+Saipan... However the other carrier drivers were all bloody idiots and allowed me to outmanuever their squadrons or bait them into getting slaughtered by friendly AAA. I'm getting better at manual drops, and there's no feeling like nailing an unsuspecting cruiser or DD, but goddamn if Fusos don't just fukin' eat a ton of torps.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Yeah, I stopped holding my torpedoes when people cross in front of me. Sometimes it's understandable but far more often it's some poop lord intentionally blocking me so it gets the damage instead of me.
Oddly enough I can't even remember the lady time I was hit by unintentional allied torpedoes, it's almost like you can prevent it by not driving like an idiot!

Also 90% of the team kills I see result from some pubbie intentionally blocking destroyer torpedoes for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I play almost exclusively DDs and I can count on one hand the number of times I've torpedoed friendlies. Every instance included a friendly DD, and every instance was of them maneuvering into my torpedoes when they would have otherwise not have been hit by them.

I mean, it helps to be aware of nearby allies so you don't have a FF incident, but sometimes you just can't cure stupid, except with torps to the face. Personally, most FF incidents I've seen pubbies commit are torpedo bombers missing a target and an ally floating right into them. Carriers seem to be much less aware of their teammates positioning than DDs are.