Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Quarex posted:

Finally, real time with pause

Over my dead ranger's body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
To be entirely honest, I'd like my rangers to shoot at random members of small clusters of different enemy types with no way to tell them to focus on wounded targets. It would feel more authentic.

Obviously joking, but I would like to see a modern take on the old Bard's Tale/Wasteland combat system.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just beat the game today, after a long hiatus.

Whoever put in that song when you reach one of the final areas of the game (you know the one) is a genius.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
So I am at an impasse on whether to finish the game. I've been taking my time, mostly due to work and I reached the end of the Hollywood arc.
From the beginning I've been generous with staged saves, understanding the quick-saves can merge on occasion and it's worked out well for small-scale triggering bugs in the game. But now at Bastion I've walked in the secret door to get rid of the usurpers so the truce can go forward and I've hit a massive wall.

In Bastion everyone is hostile, the merchants, then my targets, then everyone outside except the slaves who I CAN release.

The gate of course will never open to the the next stage/radio area now.

I've looked this up and of course the answer is "rollback your save" since you are not supposed to have everyone hostile (my journal updates properly that I've done what I need) and I've done rollbacks at multiple stages and I'm afraid I have to do Hollywood from the very start again which I frankly will not do, there are other things I'm thinking of spending time on.

Anyone have better luck beating this bug?

I understand issues due to the vast differences in peoples PC setups/I've verified my Steam file and reviewed patch notes and have been patient with what has been a drat fine game so far but this is very disappointing.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Smuggins posted:

From the beginning I've been generous with staged saves, understanding the quick-saves can merge on occasion and it's worked out well for small-scale triggering bugs in the game. But now at Bastion I've walked in the secret door to get rid of the usurpers so the truce can go forward and I've hit a massive wall.
It's been a while but
I believe them going hostile if you "break in" either by going through the front door when told not to or when using the secret entrance is intentional.

Them going hostile is not a blocker. You can kill everyone and find the key to the radio installation on Mayweather's body.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brother None posted:

It's been a while but
I believe them going hostile if you "break in" either by going through the front door when told not to or when using the secret entrance is intentional.

Them going hostile is not a blocker. You can kill everyone and find the key to the radio installation on Mayweather's body.

I'll take a hard look at my saves because I never found a key after the beating death.

Thank you!

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was able to find a good save and fix the key situation, I'm going to finish this thing!

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Anyone know where I can grab those Good the Bad and the Ugly portraits that were posted up in here? I clicked through the portrait links but I haven't come up on them. After beating pillars of eternity with some gun dudes I have a powerful, mighty powerfuly, hankering to pop some dudes like blood sausages with sniper rifles and shot guns.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Ah yes, Bastion, where I discovered that explosives are actually what you should dump all your money into
:allears:

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

Ah yes, Bastion, where I discovered that explosives are actually what you should dump all your money into
:allears:

Haha. I did the same thing in that fight. It was wondrous :)

Smuggins posted:

I was able to find a good save and fix the key situation, I'm going to finish this thing!

Glad you got through it. I had some weird poo poo hit me in the Bastion too, but somehow worked it out, was definitely on the edge giving up but glad I didn't. The end is a pretty fun ride.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bastion wasn't quite the point I ran back to grab my horded explosives but Seal beach sure was. The final battle of the game went off like a terrible(wonderful?) 80's ex-Vietnam-Vet revenge action space opera. The whole team trundled in encumbered due to all the RPGS and grenades and hosed poo poo up.

May do another playthrough when the update hits. I have terrible idea to get Delta team after me now.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I never hoarded explosives, but I did realize near the end of the game that I had a billion unspent scrap and explosives kinda rule for combat and non-combat purposes.

So in my current playthrough I've got plenty of grenades and launchers stockpiled :getin:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I held onto most of my explosives in the event that I ever came across a really tough fight where I needed some extra power to get the win. That fight never really materialized, so at the end of the game I just pulled out everything I had in reserve and went to town with it. Good times.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Sweet.

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-01-05-wasteland-2-game-of-the-year-edition-features-over-4000-new-voiced-lines-and-it-s-still-growing

quote:

This summer inXile Entertainment will be releasing the Game of the Year Edition for Wasteland 2, and the PC version is being upgraded for free to this superior version. It's got some serious mutations on the way.

Already revealed is an upgrade to Unity 5 and fancy PBR effects to the environments for better lighting, but the studio is also "redoing all" humanoid models. There's also the new 'Quirks & Perks' trait system.

We should be able to further customise our band of Rangers by adding in these more unique flavours to their character, which can also be levelled up as we play. "Some will change how you play rather significantly, while others will be a little more benign in their influence. Many of them might give you more situational benefits/drawbacks, or things that could be both an upside or a downside depending on the context, for instance," explained a developer.

Combat gains a new Precision Strike feature that lets us target specific areas of an enemy, like their vulnerable fleshy limbs. "And you’ll need those options, because we’ve been hard at work hand-crafting each battle you’ll find yourself in."

nXile has been adding "new voiceover for key characters and story moments," they reveal. There's a big effort to give voice to more NPCs and CNPCs too.

"The plan is to add VO for all companion NPCs that journey with you in the world. Right now, they’ll bark dialog text but most of them don’t have an actual voice. Along with the CNPC’s, we’ve been going over the list of major characters in the game and working on casting for NPCs that we feel should have more of a voice. As of right now, we’re at over 4000 new voiced lines and it’s still growing," said project lead Chris Keenan in an interview with Shacknews.

Armour will also be visible on our rangers and we're also getting a better barter system which will "now display more information on what's currently equipped so you don't have to look at the store, exit to check your character inventory, then go back into the store again."

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those kinds of things really should have been in the game from the start, if we're being honest, but good on inXile for not just abandoning the game to go work on their next project but actually sticking with W2 in order push out major, free updates.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does the new version have gamepad support for PC?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why would it??

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

....because it's coming out for consoles.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Don't have the quote handy, but I think there was an interview with Fargo saying you could switch on the gamepad support if you wanted for PC.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

PC Master Race means I can use my 360 controller when I damned well please. I use my controller for PC games a lot. I wouldn't use it for WL2, but I'd be happy to have the option available for others. Sometimes it's nice to kick back on the couch, pipe your video to the tv and laze your way through a game. Many games designed for cross-platform release have mediocre keyboard and mouse controls as well.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Don't quote me on this because I'm too lazy to go and grab a source, but I'm pretty drat sure they've said that you'll be able to use the console interface with your X360 gamepad on PC, yeah.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The Joe Man posted:

....because it's coming out for consoles.

Wow, I completely missed that. Good for them!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Those updates sound basically amazing. It actually sounds like they listened to the reasonable complaints about combat and decided to fix things. And yes, I define "reasonable" as "the ones I personally felt were potential good ideas."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm still not convinced that character creation isn't going to be a hyper-specialized dump stat ridden mess. Better character graphics and visible armor tickles my pretty princess dressup bone, though.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Are they going to be making a balance pass for weapons/skills and whatnot? The way the skills turned out in this game (lockpicking, critical failures, heavy weapons, Bad/Kiss/Smart rear end) turned me off pretty much day 1 and I still haven't finished it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm still not holding my breath about the final quality of the game, but I appreciate they're making a good-faith effort to improve on some it's most egregious shortcomings the base game had. I really hope they make the skill system less punishing though, and drop the number of trash skill checks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm still not holding my breath about the final quality of the game, but I appreciate they're making a good-faith effort to improve on some it's most egregious shortcomings the base game had. I really hope they make the skill system less punishing though, and drop the number of trash skill checks.

I don't mind the number of skill checks, but don't make me savescum just to open a door to a new area.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Catts posted:

Are they going to be making a balance pass for weapons/skills and whatnot? The way the skills turned out in this game (lockpicking, critical failures, heavy weapons, Bad/Kiss/Smart rear end) turned me off pretty much day 1 and I still haven't finished it.

I'm sure they won't bother at all because... what

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

fennesz posted:

I don't mind the number of skill checks, but don't make me savescum just to open a door to a new area.

This is something that really gets me. Even a safe with a less than 10% chance of unlocking could be savescummed into succeeding if you have the patience (although you would probably only get bullets for a gun you don't even use), and it's seriously frustrating when I fail a lockpick which has 90% chance of succeeding. I think I prefer the Shadowrun Returns way of simply blocking the option off if your appropriate skill isn't high enough, and instantly allowing it if your skill is high enough. Wasteland 2 uses this system in the speech checks I think. Not being skilled enough I can accept, but having a chance and blowing it thanks to the RNG makes me sad. :saddowns:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Konsek posted:

This is something that really gets me. Even a safe with a less than 10% chance of unlocking could be savescummed into succeeding if you have the patience (although you would probably only get bullets for a gun you don't even use), and it's seriously frustrating when I fail a lockpick which has 90% chance of succeeding. I think I prefer the Shadowrun Returns way of simply blocking the option off if your appropriate skill isn't high enough, and instantly allowing it if your skill is high enough. Wasteland 2 uses this system in the speech checks I think. Not being skilled enough I can accept, but having a chance and blowing it thanks to the RNG makes me sad. :saddowns:

Yeah, I agree with this. It's dumb that in one game five points in a skill will pay off, but in another game it won't. Death to randomised skill checks.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Konsek posted:

The bolded part is what really gets me, though it applies to the game beyond skill checks. So much of the loot in this game is garbage (sometimes literally) that looting quickly becomes tedious, and getting trash from a locked or trapped box makes it that much worse. At the very least, a box that requires a skill check should have something worthwhile in it. Hoping for a complete overhaul of the loot/item system is a bit much, I suppose. Still looking forward to the other changes.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Spakstik posted:

The bolded part is what really gets me, though it applies to the game beyond skill checks. So much of the loot in this game is garbage (sometimes literally) that looting quickly becomes tedious, and getting trash from a locked or trapped box makes it that much worse. At the very least, a box that requires a skill check should have something worthwhile in it. Hoping for a complete overhaul of the loot/item system is a bit much, I suppose. Still looking forward to the other changes.

Another thing that Shadowrun Returns does well. Random useless loot is non existent, and it just gives you opportunities to grab money instead of loot, which cuts out the tediousness of hauling everything back to a trader. If you get loot, it's something good. Even if you don't want it you can sell it for a good price, but it's just a handful of things per mission. I sure as hell love being free from feeling compelled to loot a million chests and dead bodies in order to sell it later on for cash.

I will say for Wasteland 2, the traders were so few and far between and had such little money that I found myself only picking up stuff worth a lot of money for the weight. Although that still involves checking all the containers to see what's in there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's easy to cheat in Wasteland 2 so you can just give your main PC maxed out unlocking skills if you want. This has the added effect of letting you put points in to conversation skills and have multiple weapon skills on your characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think there probably is a bit too much trash loot in the game, but the item descriptions are often so good that I can forgive it. Buuuut...yeah, the 50th faded photograph was not adding much to my experience, no.

Dat dud grenade doe

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Quarex posted:

Dat dud grenade doe

I laughed my rear end off at that.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yes.

Catts posted:

Yes. A balance pass is being done on weapons, armor and the like, as well as loot drops and encounter design. This in part to account for new systems we're adding, but also just to improve and continue to polish the experience.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Hey Brother None, where are you guys casting for new vocals or who would I contact? Any info would be much appreciated; feel free to PM.

Thanks!

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Brother None posted:

Yes. A balance pass is being done on weapons, armor and the like, as well as loot drops and encounter design. This in part to account for new systems we're adding, but also just to improve and continue to polish the experience.
Awesome, can't wait to play the new version.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah this'll get me playing again. At the risk of reigniting old arguments, it just wasn't good enough to have such boring combat in a game that consisted mostly of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Brother None posted:

Yes.

Reduce AP for pistols or at least make it a perk! It'd give them a nice niche role in using them to finish off targets when you have 1 AP left or going full out pistol-leer and going :clint: on everything.

• Locked thread