Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle? At what point is it acceptable to expect that things will need occasional replacement?

This seems like a lot of teeth gnashing over something pretty minor.

From the companies that brought you: "Our Cruise Control can light the vehicle on fire....when the vehicle is off" and "Your huge SUV still has worse crumple zones than a small sedan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

From the companies that brought you: "Our Cruise Control can light the vehicle on fire....when the vehicle is off" and "Your huge SUV still has worse crumple zones than a small sedan"

Don't forget the classic "we knew our ignition switches were poo poo and did nothing about it until the issue got several people killed"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

"Your huge SUV still has worse crumple zones than a small sedan"

I thought crumple zones were largely an afterthought on body-on-frame vehicles to begin with...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Going off memory here, but I think they started actually making body on frame trucks crash-safe in the mid 2000s.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Of course no manufacturer has ever done something so foolish as making a gas pedal that sticks or using a water pump impeller that melts at 212F.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yep. Our 4th gen 4Runner got quite good safety ratings, at least as far as BoF trucks go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

Yep. Our 4th gen 4Runner got quite good safety ratings, at least as far as BoF trucks go.

That's a Toyota. Not a domestic.

2001 F-150

2001 Dodge 1500

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 4, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Don't forget the classic "we knew our ignition switches were poo poo and did nothing about it until the issue got several people killed"

In addition to that, there's the "we did get around to fixing the bad ignition switches but kept the part and revision number the same so there's no way to tell the good and bad ones apart besides physical inspection. But now that we have no choice but to perform a massive recall, physical inspection would be very time consuming and potentially inconsistent so we'll have to replace ALL OF THEM."

As a mechanical engineer that has done a lot of drafting and documentation, this was the most egregious detail in that whole scandal. :psyduck:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, doesn;t matter. Even Japanese made or designed there, made in Thailand, BOF commericial utes/trucks that we get in aussieland used to be terrible. Didn't have to conform to passenger vehicle standards, so they didn't. One of the main reasons I planted my arse into an aussie ute instead. Before that I had Japanese made or branded commercial utes which rode like a truck and had low safety ratings.
They have improved now, but it was later than mid 2000s here, more like late 2000s when they wanted to sell dual cabs to families and brought out new models.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, they were all terrible 2 star ratings here for ages too, even Japanese made. Didn't have to conform to passenger vehicle standards, so they didn't. One of the main reasons I planted my arse into an aussie ute instead. Before that I had Japanese made or branded commercial utes which rode like a truck and had low safety ratings.
They have improved now, but it was later than mid 2000s here, more like late 2000s when they wanted to sell dual cabs to families.

That was the trick: In 2001, even shoddy imports like VW and others were getting better front crash survivability ratings than domestic trucks and SUVs.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Problem has always been, being commercial vehicles, they are normally 2 generations behind in safety features. Best thing about the aussie ute was it is based on the latest passenger vehicle (possible difference being rear axle to account for the load). But from front door forward and sidewards, (ie the passenger compartment) it is the same safety level as the passenger vehicle sedan/wagon. E: That, and the engine options is why I love the aussie ute so much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 4, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Problem has always been, being commercial vehicles, they are normally 2 generations behind in safety features. Best thing about the aussie ute was it is based on the latest passenger vehicle (possible difference being rear axle to account for the load). But from front door forward and sidewards, (ie the passenger compartment) it is the same safety level as the passenger vehicle sedan/wagon

The Ford Explorer suffered from the same weaknesses as the F-150, being roughly the same design.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
We didn't have the explorer here (maybe we did once, for a year, a long long time ago). We had/have the 'escape' and the local 'territory' based on the falcon platform. When ford AU shuts down we will probably get the explorer, or something made in Thailand based on the mazda/ranger platform.
I don't think f series trucks, or anything based on them is ever going to be sold here as a mainstream vehicle to be honest though as fuel is expensive here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 4, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Edward IV posted:

As a mechanical engineer that has done a lot of drafting and documentation, this was the most egregious detail in that whole scandal. :psyduck:
You will be glad to know that first-tier aerospace companies totally never do this, ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

The Ford Explorer suffered from the same weaknesses as the F-150 Ranger, being roughly the same design.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:doh: Thanks for the correct.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When will these kids learn, that's why you don't stretch your tires.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I'm only aware because of my unfortunate firsthand experience.

Twice the junked cars to choose from!

:v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I remember being a kid of the 90s hearing all the moms going on and on about how safe their Explorers/Expeditions/Suburbans/etc. were. For the children.

I mean I guess if you were planning on hitting another (smaller) car they would be pretty drat safe. :downs:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Read the book High and Mighty for a look at SUV philosophy from the turn of the century.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

I guarantee the Expedition (which was F150-based) was hilariously unsafe too, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every year, a new and even more gigantic Canyonero-like Ford SUV beginning with "Ex". When the Excursion came out I did that Seinfeld gif in real life.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Data Graham posted:

Every year, a new and even more gigantic Canyonero-like Ford SUV beginning with "Ex". When the Excursion came out I did that Seinfeld gif in real life.

HEY NOW, what's wrong with using a F750 SUV for day to day travel!?! (At least it's not a semi-SUV?)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

I remember being a kid of the 90s hearing all the moms going on and on about how safe their Explorers/Expeditions/Suburbans/etc. were. For the children.

I mean I guess if you were planning on hitting another (smaller) car they would be pretty drat safe. :downs:

This is pretty much what I was getting at - crumple zones are largely irrelevant when your vehicle's primary defense strategy is to outmass and outsize most other vehicles on the road.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Fire Storm posted:

HEY NOW, what's wrong with using a F750 SUV for day to day travel!?! (At least it's not a semi-SUV?)

You may joke, but there's a legit market for this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F650_Pickups

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

This is pretty much what I was getting at - crumple zones are largely irrelevant when your vehicle's primary defense strategy is to outmass and outsize most other vehicles on the road.

It's an unfortunate facet of mental health treatment in the country today that being a complete sociopath is not only unrecognized and untreated but offered a tax break.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Door Frame posted:

You may joke, but there's a legit market for this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F650_Pickups

A Chinese guy runs a company (in the US!) that takes an F650, bolts a whole bunch of cheap sheetmetal to the outside to make it look like an armored vehicle - it is emphatically *not* armored in any way, and then sells them in China for $500k.

http://www.usspecialtyvehicles.com/#!vehicles/albumphotos3=2

Literally the only selling point s are a) MADE IN USA MURICA and b) all the sheetmetal makes it look big. I'm only unhappy because I didn't come up with the idea first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

2001 F-150

Stepdad owns a 2001 F-150 extended cab, exactly like the one pictured, aside from exterior color and wheels.

That's one of a few reasons I refuse to get in it (the main other reason is his horrible driving, I can't believe he hasn't lost his license with all the tickets he racks up). Even when I drive it myself, I immediately know my knees will become the crumple zones if I hit anything. You just know from how everything is positioned.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rainwulf posted:

That was the much maligned rover/kia sedona V6 of hell, the one that leaked oil so bad that some engines had to be replaced before actually being rolled out onto the yard as NEW STOCK.

This deserves some kind of award. Has a bigger failure ever occurred?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

Stepdad owns a 2001 F-150 extended cab, exactly like the one pictured, aside from exterior color and wheels.

That's one of a few reasons I refuse to get in it (the main other reason is his horrible driving, I can't believe he hasn't lost his license with all the tickets he racks up). Even when I drive it myself, I immediately know my knees will become the crumple zones if I hit anything. You just know from how everything is positioned.

You probably know more about this than I do but I am pretty sure texas and rhode island are the only states with no points system, thus why he hasn't lost his license.

I do love how those F150s set themselves on fire with the cruise system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.usspecialtyvehicles.com/#!vehicles/albumphotos3=2

Literally the only selling point s are a) MADE IN USA MURICA and b) all the sheetmetal makes it look big. I'm only unhappy because I didn't come up with the idea first.
Added comedy: his site doesn't work on mobile devices because it requires flash and if the test fails it forces you to go try and download it.

Not a good spokesperson for USA MURICA.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Isn't there some kind of loophole with trucks where they don't have to meet the same safety standards as they are not classed as cars?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

You probably know more about this than I do but I am pretty sure texas and rhode island are the only states with no points system, thus why he hasn't lost his license.

I do love how those F150s set themselves on fire with the cruise system.

Hey now Illinois also gives no fucks about how much of a poo poo driver you are.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigPaddy posted:

Isn't there some kind of loophole with trucks where they don't have to meet the same safety standards as they are not classed as cars?

As far as I know, yes. If you think normal cars fare poorly in a rollover situation, just wait until you see what happens to a truck. :stonklol:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BigPaddy posted:

In the US, vehicles over a certain GWVR are considered differently by the EPA, so on 3/4t and above trucks you can have diesel engines and whatnot, and they don't have to provide any fuel economy information for consumers.

As far as "safety standards" go, it's really more of an excuse for carmakers to complain about than anything real. What "safety standards" are there? I'm genuinely curious because I don't think there really are any. Other than things like must have ABS and 1 airbags I don't know of any that would seriously impact cars that would currently be sold. Certainly there is no requirement for any carmaker to disclose to their customers any crash test information - e.g. there are no publicly available crash test ratings that I am aware of for any US market Land Rover/Range Rover vehicles, the NHTSA's star rating system is completely voluntary and JLR has never submitted to it, while the IIHS has no interest in doing any crash tests on their own. Range Rovers might fold up like a cardboard accordion in a 35mph crash for all I know, and nothing is stopping their sales.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 5, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I get your point for US Domestic vehicles but a Range Rover is a bad example as you can just pull the Euro NCAP test results http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/land-rover/range-rover/10934 as I doubt they are going to make less safe cars for the US market as it would cost them more than just using the same tooling for all their cars.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Throatwarbler posted:

In the US, vehicles over a certain GWVR are considered differently by the EPA, so on 3/4t and above trucks you can have diesel engines and whatnot, and they don't have to provide any fuel economy information for consumers.

As far as "safety standards" go, it's really more of an excuse for carmakers to complain about than anything real. What "safety standards" are there? I'm genuinely curious because I don't think there really are any. Other than things like must have ABS and 1 airbags I don't know of any that would seriously impact cars that would currently be sold. Certainly there is no requirement for any carmaker to disclose to their customers any crash test information - e.g. there are no publicly available crash test ratings that I am aware of for any US market Land Rover/Range Rover vehicles, the NHTSA's star rating system is completely voluntary and JLR has never submitted to it, while the IIHS has no interest in doing any crash tests on their own. Range Rovers might fold up like a cardboard accordion in a 35mph crash for all I know, and nothing is stopping their sales.

I would have thought that the Euro NCAP results will give you a pretty good indication for any US market cars too (obviously where the same model is are also available in Europe)

While specifications may vary slightly for the US versions, I suspect it shouldn't be too hard to find out what these differences are and you can tell if they would affect the safety rating.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Throatwarbler posted:

No, it is very real. ABS, ESC, side impact standards, headon impact standards, survivability, multistage airbags, even pedestrian impact safety and survivability when not wearing a seatbelt are criteria that must be met. FMVSS and many other standards are what you want to read for more info on this, I can ask around at work and get more info if you want. Even just FMVSS is a book the size of a medium phone book or small factory service manual however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

2001 F-150

2001 Dodge 1500

I guess it doesn't matter that my brother doesn't ever wear a seatbelt (he's a cop). If he ever hits anything he's toast anyway. He drives a 2001 half ton Chevy.