Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

How Much Art posted:

Looks like Norm is doing a live feed of the Masters on Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GiPL9cC8A0

Sandwich Bonanza Vol. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He's also doing it right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_MNlfeQOI

Eb
May 6, 2003
For some reason Deaf Frat Guy from the Adam Carolla Show is critiquing the player's fashion. That's really the highlight so far.

majestic sea cow
Dec 10, 2010

How Much Art posted:

Looks like Norm is doing a live feed of the Masters on Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GiPL9cC8A0

whats the deal with this, i could see the countdown when is still had over 24 hours to go, now the vid is set to private. did i miss it or can i catch it somewhere else?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

majestic sea cow posted:

whats the deal with this, i could see the countdown when is still had over 24 hours to go, now the vid is set to private. did i miss it or can i catch it somewhere else?

Classic Norm.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Your guess is as good as mine. I watched a few minutes of it live, Norm looked disheveled and miserable. I decided I would skim through it later, and now it's disappeared.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Goddamn Norm guy is ridiculous.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you guys are really goin to town on those sandwiches..

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Boy, those Salt and Pepper ones are peppery.

Eb
May 6, 2003
Watching the Todd Glass episode again and I'm dying, Norm is so loving on point loving with this guy. God drat I hope they weren't kidding about season 3 starting in June.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does Todd Glass ever tell jokes or does he spend all his time monotonously dissecting other peoples' jokes like he did on Norm's podcast?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Todd Glass ever tell jokes or does he spend all his time monotonously dissecting other peoples' jokes like he did on Norm's podcast?

Yeah, that's his thing.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
For all you West coasters: Norm is co-headlining with none other than Roseanne on May 8th at the Grove in Anaheim, California. Slam purchased my tickets immediately, it'll be my first time seeing Norm live. Super excited.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Advice posted:

For all you West coasters: Norm is co-headlining with none other than Roseanne on May 8th at the Grove in Anaheim, California. Slam purchased my tickets immediately, it'll be my first time seeing Norm live. Super excited.

Goddamn, I'd love to see that show. Should be great.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe he'll gently caress her in the rear end on stage.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Maybe he'll gently caress her in the rear end on stage.

Turns out he buttfucked her so hard she is going blind.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

A couple of standup recordings just went up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMNdxDa7u4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37j0_reifbo

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
who Jackie

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Riptor posted:

who Jackie

"So Roseanne's sister is washing her big fat rear end in the sink..."

I desperately wish I knew who that comic was.

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 6, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How Much Art posted:

"So Roseanne's sister is washing her big fat rear end in the sink..."

I desperately wish I knew who that comic was.

It's been a while since I listened, but I think Danny Zuker names him when he tells the story on How Was Your Week?

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Thanks I'll check that out!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How Much Art posted:

Thanks I'll check that out!

If he doesn't mention it there, then I forgot who it was ~exactly~. But I do remember googling a black stand-up who had a very short and unsuccessful career in the 90s. If Zuker doesn't name him, it must've been a podcast with Jake Fogelnest since he brings it up a lot.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9I9zafXQkk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I like Norm, I like him a lot, but it's a real drat shame to see so much SOME GADGET and KIDS THESE DAYS shtick. God I still love his delivery, but yikes that material.

I probably linked my favorite before but its been a while: Gordon Ramsay vs Norm MacDonald on the last days of NBC Conan

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Wow, that's amazing... I even got choked up when he was on about a month ago and he got this huge reaction from the audience.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I love that you can hear Dave laughing the hardest in the background.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Arbite posted:

I love that you can hear Dave laughing the hardest in the background.

You see this for sure on his Conan spots, but Norm seems to be a real "comedian's comedian". I love his turn on the Bob Saget roast where the audience greets him with lukewarm befuddlement, but half of the dias are falling out of their chairs laughing (I think the broadcast shows Wayne Brady and Rob Schnieder actually crawling and begging for mercy)

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

You see this for sure on his Conan spots, but Norm seems to be a real "comedian's comedian". I love his turn on the Bob Saget roast where the audience greets him with lukewarm befuddlement, but half of the dias are falling out of their chairs laughing (I think the broadcast shows Wayne Brady and Rob Schnieder actually crawling and begging for mercy)

I agree but Norm also does a real french Canadian sense of humour in english. It's hilarious how much his pacing and punch lines sound like a sarcastic french mother sometimes.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I think a lot of his style is what you might be able to call "in-jokes", it's almost like he's making fun of jokes when he tells them. I really hate using this term, especially negatively, but I think

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I like Norm, I like him a lot, but it's a real drat shame to see so much SOME GADGET and KIDS THESE DAYS shtick. God I still love his delivery, but yikes that material.

really missed the point. I honestly believe that was half the joke. The man is just over 50, he's not 100 years old. He knows what a smartphone is and how it works, the joke is just how ridiculous the concept of a phone being that powerful really is. Then he stretches it out to see how far the audience will let him take it. First he makes the observation, but he does it in a Normy kinda way, using his mannerisms and tone of voice, "Hey, people take pictures with their phones, etc" and then he takes it further, "If you used a telephone and tried to take a picture, people would look at you odd.", which is classic Norm ridiculousness. Of course nobody ever did that. He takes the classic comedian's observation, but then he takes it like four steps too far until it's ridiculous just to imagine. The whole time using amazing deadpan to make it seem like he's still making common observations. Then he takes it a bit too far, pantomiming the act of using a rotary phone to take a photo, but the audience isn't biting as much, so he giggles and backs off. This was all carefully calculated. If he was in front of a bunch of comedians who were loving it through this point, he probably would have kept going.

Norm is definitely not an everyman's comedian. He's no Mencia or Cook, he definitely would never be trusted with a late night endeavor like Leno or Letterman. When I went to see him and Roseanne last week, the crowd was OBVIOUSLY there for Roseanne. Much older crowd, she got a standing ovation at entrance and exit, meanwhile Norm who was technically headlining met with mixed reactions from the crowd. My group was definitely the only ones dying at his entire set. It's just not some (most) people's cup of tea, I guess.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Advice posted:

I think a lot of his style is what you might be able to call "in-jokes", it's almost like he's making fun of jokes when he tells them. I really hate using this term, especially negatively, but I think

really missed the point. I honestly believe that was half the joke. The man is just over 50, he's not 100 years old. He knows what a smartphone is and how it works, the joke is just how ridiculous the concept of a phone being that powerful really is. Then he stretches it out to see how far the audience will let him take it. First he makes the observation, but he does it in a Normy kinda way, using his mannerisms and tone of voice, "Hey, people take pictures with their phones, etc" and then he takes it further, "If you used a telephone and tried to take a picture, people would look at you odd.", which is classic Norm ridiculousness. Of course nobody ever did that. He takes the classic comedian's observation, but then he takes it like four steps too far until it's ridiculous just to imagine. The whole time using amazing deadpan to make it seem like he's still making common observations. Then he takes it a bit too far, pantomiming the act of using a rotary phone to take a photo, but the audience isn't biting as much, so he giggles and backs off. This was all carefully calculated. If he was in front of a bunch of comedians who were loving it through this point, he probably would have kept going.

Norm is definitely not an everyman's comedian. He's no Mencia or Cook, he definitely would never be trusted with a late night endeavor like Leno or Letterman. When I went to see him and Roseanne last week, the crowd was OBVIOUSLY there for Roseanne. Much older crowd, she got a standing ovation at entrance and exit, meanwhile Norm who was technically headlining met with mixed reactions from the crowd. My group was definitely the only ones dying at his entire set. It's just not some (most) people's cup of tea, I guess.

This is about the best description of Norm I've ever seen. Well written. How the gently caress did you get in here?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Goddamn, that some some classic Norm. :(

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I agree but Norm also does a real french Canadian sense of humour in english. It's hilarious how much his pacing and punch lines sound like a sarcastic french mother sometimes.

really? Interesting. Can you elaborate on this

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of classic Norm, lets revist the time that Regis hosed him right in the rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-jxs2KE4s

Still makes me a little mad.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There is a Chevy Facebook ad about Norm not understanding how to use emojis, so Norm has to go to emoji school so a bunch of models can teach him how to use emojis. Anyone else see this? Just a fever dream I had?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Okay no the Norm Emoji Chevy Advertising Web Series is real https://youtu.be/_ks1gQKdtgA

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking of classic Norm, lets revist the time that Regis hosed him right in the rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-jxs2KE4s

Still makes me a little mad.

Are you talking about just the fastest finger part?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Okay no the Norm Emoji Chevy Advertising Web Series is real https://youtu.be/_ks1gQKdtgA

What the hell? Where is part two?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Boatswain posted:

What the hell? Where is part two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmNwy62NW0

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
That is so dumb but good for Norm to get some work I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cadence
Dec 31, 2007

Boatswain posted:

That is so dumb but good for Norm to get some work I guess :v:

Norm is so great that a poorly conceived and deeply out of touch ad from a giant company for a product I don't want is fun and endearing.

• Locked thread