Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I act like that sometimes in meetings on purpose so I don't get invited back to the really pointless and productivity-draining ones :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Picking up trash for a lot of money would be cool if you could smoke before and during it I guess

military.txt

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I like how "no netapp experience... that's a setback" is even a thing.

Like, I understand that SANs are complicated pieces of technology or whatever and that there is definitely some value in having netapp experience, but in both of the places I've worked at we ran multi-host xen or vmware clusters with ~250 VMs using netapp for storage and 99% of the day to day with them has been "expand volume, shrink different volume, possibly create new volume". Sometimes you might have to click a few dropdown menus to find the right graph so you can tell <department> that <application/service> is running at 4k more iops/sec than <previous version> and they might want to take a look at their poo poo. That's about the extent of my, admittedly pretty junior, experience with netapp stuff. They also have a pretty great powershell toolkit, so if you have even a passing familiarity with powershell you probably don't even have to open up the GUI.

If homeboy is interviewing for a literal Storage Engineer position and he doesn't have NetApp experience, sure, yeah, that's a setback... but if this is a generic sysadmin position and they can't be hosed to walk you through opening up the GUI and clicking on maybe 8 different buttons I'd be really worried.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

He's gotta be a troll, right?

..... Right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

He's gotta be a troll, right?

..... Right?

He's as real as it gets. We should probably treat him as a troll though.

This latest mess isn't even his best one. He had a fantastic blowup about women in tech a while ago.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

military.txt

Well I meant weed but :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I know multiple people who smoke before doing housework. I can't imagine they are as efficient, but it probably makes it a lot more fun.

A company's site near a reservation being trashed makes sense to me. White people trashed their continent, they trash white people's land. And it saves them money on paying for trash service.

I don't know Australia, it's just my understanding that they got treated at least as badly as natives in America. And it's hard to do that without literal death camps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A company's site near a reservation being trashed makes sense to me. White people trashed their continent, they trash white people's land. And it saves them money on paying for trash service.

I don't know Australia, it's just my understanding that they got treated at least as badly as natives in America. And it's hard to do that without literal death camps.

Is this actually a serious post because what what what

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

http://www.kooriweb.org/foley/essays/essay_8.html posted:

From the beginning of the British invasion of Australia (justified on the myth of terra nullius), the Indigenous people were slaughtered on a grand scale. In Tasmania between 1804 and 1834, the Aboriginal population was reduced from an estimated 5000 people to just 200, which represented a 90% reduction in just 30 years. In Victoria it has been estimated that the Koori population declined by about 60% in just 15 years between 1835 and 1850 as more than 68 individual ‘massacres’ were perpetrated in that period. Indeed, according to representative of the North West Clans of Victoria, Mr Gary Murray, of the 38 clans that lived in Victoria B.C. (Before Cook) only 24 today have living descendants. By 1850 virtually all active resistance to the invasion had been quelled in Victoria. Census figures published in March 1857 showed that only 1,768 Aborigines were left in all of that state. So comprehensive was the ‘ethnic cleansing’ of Australia that out of an estimated 500 language groups on mainland Australia when the British arrived, barely half that number of languages were to survive. By 1871, one correspondent, G. Carrington felt compelled to write,

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this actually a serious post because what what what

Like 90% of my posts, it is a mix of irony and honesty.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Reiz posted:

I like how "no netapp experience... that's a setback" is even a thing.
By the way can we have a mod change the title of the thread please

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

By the way can we have a mod change the title of the thread please

I work with a ton of clients that have Netapps and "experienced" Netapp techs to manage them. I'm always having to connect to the netapp myself to do things they can't figure out. All I typically need is to know the last snapshot date, and they can't usually do that.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:lol: at this thread.

My users keep attempting to download Chrome and get malware instead. How hard is this?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Lose all the weight you want, DAF, when chicks find out you attend bronycon they'll, first look it up, then sheepishly find someone else to chat with at the bar. Weirdo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GOOCHY posted:

Lose all the weight you want, DAF, when chicks find out you attend bronycon they'll, first look it up, then sheepishly find someone else to chat with at the bar. Weirdo.

Bar? Even that scenario is unlikely, considering most of his outbursts include "i know it's a tuesday night but i just drank an entire handle of rum at home alone so w/e".

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Today I had an engineer webex'd in to a computer running an RDP session to a laptop connected to the idrac of a server through a crossover cable so we could get console access.

I have since networked the idrac so I do not have to practice data center inception.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CloFan posted:

:lol: at this thread.

My users keep attempting to download Chrome and get malware instead. How hard is this?

If you do a Bing for Chrome you get a bunch of malware infected links before the chrome official link, only sometimes not all the time cannot figure out why but I've seen it on fresh installs it might have something to do with what IE version you have.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We recently put in Cisco Web Security and one of the features is that it blocks all web ads. So we get tons of calls about how Google/Bing/Yahoo search results get blocked.

The results they're clicking is the ads. drat search engines have ads for the first half dozen results.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It was freezing in there too.

lol what the gently caress am I doing

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 7, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hihifellow posted:

Today I had an engineer webex'd in to a computer running an RDP session to a laptop connected to the idrac of a server through a crossover cable so we could get console access.

I have since networked the idrac so I do not have to practice data center inception.

Not as inception-y, but I've had an ISP tech TeamViewer'd into my laptop connected via 3G and then via serial console to a router that they had hosed the configuration on before they shipped it to a new site with no existing connectivity.

Lots of repeated keystrokes, lots of frustration.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methanar posted:

I was trying to think of something witty to put here but I'm way too busy laughing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Can this go in the OP or something because lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Methanar posted:

turns out IT hell is a chicken coop and -1 degrees Celsius

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SaltLick posted:

turns out IT hell is a chicken coop and -1 degrees Celsius

IT Hell froze over? Time for emacs to shine?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I think you're posting in the wrong thread at this point...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Methanar posted:

That looks like one of the scenes astarwarbetamax shoots his YLLS mock photos in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So this company called imgix is very proud of their rackmounted Mac Pros.

Am I wrong to be very confused at pretty much every decision they made that led to this?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I might be mistaken but for a brief period I think Facebook used that hardware before they started doing the whitebox thing.

E: Ah, it was Mac Mini's

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah but that was for iOS testing, not for production.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inspector_666 posted:

Am I wrong to be very confused at pretty much every decision they made that led to this?

Macs are better therefore we need to put the trashcans in a rack. -the boss

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enjoy your out-of-band management.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Enjoy your out-of-band management.

Not only that, but if any single Mac Pro goes down (25% of each "drawer") then they have to take down 9% of each rack's capacity to even begin to troubleshoot it. They play that off as "well within our failure tolerances."

It seems completely bizarre to me for a company to base a web service on an architecture that is almost proudly not scalable/virtualizable.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 7, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Using a Mac for a data center is like using a Prius in a quarry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a few clients left who we haven't managed to drag away from using Macs as servers, Apple are so obviously giving up on the entire idea (poo poo QA on each release, no actual server product for 6 years etc) I wish they'd just admit it and release an OVA tied into an Apple ID or whatever, charge $100 for it and have it administered through Server.app. I don't want a Mac mini in a piss-poor rack kit just to perform a couple of tasks that haven't yet been taken over by Casper.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
One processor, two NICs, one PSU on the Mac Pro. They put OSX Server on the App Store. I know these are obviously running another OS, but I use OSX Server a little bit at work and it is so horrible I had to bring it up. I run it off a Macbook Pro because like Inspector said, you can't virtualize OSX legally :(

e: It's the MDM I'm using, and it breaks constantly. I need to look into Casper

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
We have a customer with a Mac Mini server that I cannot wait for it to die. I want to move them away from it completely, but since it still "works" they don't want to suffer the cost of changing over to something else.

It is currently running off a usb->ethernet adapter because the onboard ethernet port died. No one even noticed at first for several months because it fell back onto the wireless and the UniFi APs have perfect uptime. Of course then the wireless on it started acting up and disconnecting randomly. With any luck the stupid thing will explode, though hopefully a small one so nothing else on the rack goes with it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Seeing as they have a rack of supermicro machines right next to the mac minis, I bet they just went to one of those chinese vendors to customize a couple metal plates in a regular case. The Mac Mini rack looks almost like they stuck it in something meant for routing cables/fiber or something like that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Inspector_666 posted:

That's seem like such a waste of hardware, can't you virtualize OS X yet on non-apple hardware?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

That's seem like such a waste of hardware, can't you virtualize OS X yet on non-apple hardware?

Not legally, and not without various weird third party patches to prevent it from refusing to run due to detecting virtualization.

So completely unacceptable in a business situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

> wrote a lot of OSX software
> literally can't figure out how to port it to *nix or Windows
> I guess we're filling our rack with waste baskets