Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Homework is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tomarse posted:

Why do you need a skid steer? Get beer (& takeaway food) and then invite some mates round and tell them to bring a shovel and gloves with them to tear down the old shed and sort the base out and erect the new one. Old shed can be burnt while you sit around at the end of the night finishing the beer off (or if its metal go weigh it in and exchange for beer/pizza money)

Old shed is actually the back off a moving van. Something like the back of this, but likely at least 30 years old. Mixture of rotted wood and buckling tin.

And I need (okay want) the skidsteer because a) we don't know enough people around here <read, basically none> and b) I've been told I'm allowed to use part of the yard to build an R/C course so I want the skidsteer to do some of the grunt work on that. Its not that I couldn't hand-bomb it, but our summer is so short here that if I can get everything done in a single Saturday its a lot handier. Plus if I can get the gravel placed, leveled and packed I can put the new shed up and move everything into it straight from the falling-apart one, then trash it :P I miss being on the farm and demo'ing buildings with a skid steer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

And then stack that up with ever-decreasing funding (hell, in AZ, it was never there to begin with and yet somehow they're still cutting school budgets). One of the local districts has been gutted so badly they're going to four-day school weeks.

The state elected a superintendent with literally no qualifications, almost entirely because she had a (R) next to her name. The entirety of her campaign was "COMMON CORE IS BAD BECAUSE THE FEDS WANT IT". When even in this right-wing hell you still had some Republican politicians endorsing the Democratic candidate, you know it's bad.

Between her and the governor, public education has already taken such a massive kick in the junk in just the last six months or so that I really have to consider sending my daughter to charter / private schools when she goes into elementary school.

In the South, cutting and damaging Public Ed is being used as a way to kickstart private religious schools and force parents to either apply to a private Christian school or look in vain for a suitable public school.

There are 4 Christian Middle/High School charters within 10 miles of my house now.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Homework is bullshit.

And studies support this. Busy work does not encourage a desire to learn, nor advanced learning. What is missing is a way to get kids to actually WANT to learn, making it interesting over making it rigorous.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I get the idea behind the number line and the "representations" of base 10 units and all, but I can't help but feel the real problem with math in schools is that kids just don't see the applications.

I would much rather kids do a cross-spectrum project curriculum than just tests.

Give the kids something like, we need to build a bridge and it needs to have these requirements. Now how do you figure out how much money you need to buy all this poo poo? Add it up. What do we need to remove to hit this budget? We need to write a proposal for that poo poo, how do you do formal writing?

Math is loving cool as all hell when you're using it for something. Just handing out arithmetic worksheets is the best way to burn out kids, regardless of whether those worksheets are about number lines, or base-10 blocks or whatever.

Quoted for loving truth. I absolutely hated math in school because it was super boring pointless the way they had us working through the same worksheets and tests with no "hey, this can be used to do X", especially algebra and stuff. It wasn't until I went to trade school where he had to apply equations and stuff that I realized just how loving awesome math really is.

Also

Lightbulb Out posted:

Homework is bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Quoted for loving truth. I absolutely hated math in school because it was super boring pointless the way they had us working through the same worksheets and tests with no "hey, this can be used to do X", especially algebra and stuff. It wasn't until I went to trade school where he had to apply equations and stuff that I realized just how loving awesome math really is.

Same, I hated, absolutely HATED math in high school.

Now I'm in applied mathematics and physics and I LOVE it. Now that I can see how math works and its real world applications and attachments to physical ideas, its suddenly the most appealing thing I know.

We bore kids in public school with numbers that have no attachment to real world scenarios or physical phenomenon and science that is canned and dried to fit on a test. If we actually taught how math and science actually works with the world at large and nature, I think more kids would actually gain an interest.

Instead, we BORE them to death with it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 7, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

And studies support this. Busy work does not encourage a desire to learn, nor advanced learning. What is missing is a way to get kids to actually WANT to learn, making it interesting over making it rigorous.

Yeah, when I was in school I never did any homework, to the detriment of my grades. I enjoyed learning and school and would get my work done, but if I had to do any at home I refused to do it. I was a bad good kid.

You should have enough time to get your work done in school, where the school work is. Home work is time to do home work, like things that don't have to do with school.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

All this common core talk and chat about people's issues with spouses and stuff makes me think that maybe there is an upside to being a loser who never found a wife and had kids. Ok, it's a bit of a lonely upside sometimes, but got to search for that silver lining!
Being single is loving awesome. Live your life for yourself and enjoy it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Most of the time I do, but once in a while it would be nice to have that 'soul mate' that other people always talk about to share stuff with. Who knows, maybe some day I will, but yea, I don't really get all bummed about being single, and enjoy being able to just do whatever I want to do most of the time.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

A good friend of mine has been doing too well lately (a lot of big poo poo happened to him all at once), so I went out drinking with him to let him vent and whatnot. I've got a massive hangover today, and I woke up to remember its my anniversary.

I think today is going to be a rough one.

I was right, today is a rough one. I feel like loving garbage and I still have to change the oil and battery in my sister's Rabbit.

The Locator posted:

enjoy being able to just do whatever I want to do most of the time.

This is what I miss most about being single. going out with friends on a whim to come home and play dota 2 while smashed was a real good time.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

All this common core talk and chat about people's issues with spouses and stuff makes me think that maybe there is an upside to being a loser who never found a wife and had kids. Ok, it's a bit of a lonely upside sometimes, but got to search for that silver lining!

:shrug: I married a person who doesn't give a poo poo what I do, lets me enjoy my hobbies and supports everything I do. Its not impossible to be married and feel like you still have the freedom of being single. Most days outside of seeing her around the house and chit-chatting, I can't tell the difference.

I didn't want a soul mate. I wanted a friend. And it worked out in the long run. Sure, we have an unorthodox lifestyle, but it works for us.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Terrible Robot posted:

I absolutely hated math until I got to college and had a professor that consulted with NASA. He'd give us homework and test problems based on poo poo NASA had to figure out. Then math became enjoyable. There's times when I wish I was actually using my math minor and all the ridiculous math courses I sat through...then I go fix a gigantic supercomputer with a hammer and all is right in the world.

InitialDave posted:

It is pretty awesome most of the time, not going to lie. But sometimes you just want to cuddle dammit.

Uncle is dragging his feet deciding if he's going to let me take the MG or not. Just make a decision so I can start planning the rest of my summer and how I'm going to drain my fun money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: I married a person who doesn't give a poo poo what I do, lets me enjoy my hobbies and supports everything I do. Its not impossible to be married and feel like you still have the freedom of being single. Most days outside of seeing her around the house and chit-chatting, I can't tell the difference.

Grats on achieving the dream. I certainly did not meant to insinuate that a person can't be happily married, as I know plenty of people who are. I've just never found that person that I could be happily married to (or that could be happily married to me, which is probably a bigger barrier).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Grats on achieving the dream. I certainly did not meant to insinuate that a person can't be happily married, as I know plenty of people who are. I've just never found that person that I could be happily married to (or that could be happily married to me, which is probably a bigger barrier).

Its not easy finding that person. And InitialDave is right: You should make the most of being single. Don't rush it. I've been married almost 9 years now, its never been easy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

lecia, that's nuts that you think kids shouldn't have homework until middle school. I definitely had homework from 1st grade on.

leica posted:

Do you have kids? It's not nuts to not want my 7 year old in first grade to be all stressed out about homework and the dumbass common core tests. It takes him over an hour each day to do his homework....Again, FIRST GRADE.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Homework is bullshit.

CommieGIR posted:

John Hattie did an absolutely enormous meta-study on achivement in schools (that resulted in, among other things, a book: Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement; 2008) and to quote him from his 30 minute interview on BBC4 last year:

quote:

Homework in primary school has an effect of around zero.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

I used to teach piano to get through university and I can tell you your problem isn't with common core its with lovely teachers.

Actually, the teachers don't have a choice, common core is mandated and they have no choice. I don't really have time to get into it but it's a huge issue, there are people getting up in arms about it all over the country, the governor here in Florida put a stop to common core testing in the higher grades because so many people are complaining about it. The rabbit hole gets deep if you really want to research and get into it, but my point is the teachers really have no control over it and most of them despise common core.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Actually, the teachers don't have a choice, common core is mandated and they have no choice. I don't really have time to get into it but it's a huge issue, there are people getting up in arms about it all over the country, the governor here in Florida put a stop to common core testing in the higher grades because so many people are complaining about it. The rabbit hole gets deep if you really want to research and get into it, but my point is the teachers really have no control over it and most of them despise common core.

I'm going to highlight the biggest issue with this point.

Because Rick Scott is a loving moron. Should Common Core perhaps be more slowly introduced? Yes. But complaining because things are being changed is not a valid reason to block Common Core, nor are Rick Scott's reasons likely valid. He is toeing the party line, not actually worried about the VALID criticisms of Common Core. Rick Scott and his party have done very large damage to the US Education System, between pushing religious ideals in the classroom to cutting Public Education funding and THEN announcing how broken the Education System is, these people are the REASON we have the problems we do in Education.

Change is hard. Demanding we not change because it is hard is not a valid reason to not change.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm not saying what he did id right, more just pointing out the fact that common core has people's panties all in a wad, Rick Scott having a knee jerk reaction probably isn't helping I'm sure.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

leica posted:

Pretty sure you need to replace 'common core' with 'standardized testing' for this statement to be true. Common core is not what you're presenting it as, it's not a firm standard that all textbooks and teachers must adhere to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Yeah I'm not saying what he did id right, more just pointing out the fact that common core has people's panties all in a wad, Rick Scott having a knee jerk reaction probably isn't helping I'm sure.

Ah, okay. That's fair.

I'm sincerely frightened for my son's future. Both Education wise and quality of life wise, because of the poo poo I see happening between the push to defund public ed and the push to place an even more crushing financial burden in order to enter college, and the damage being done to education itself and the failure of people to adapt to the changes we need in education to create a more encouraging learning environment.

I mean, for fucks sake, Texas just cut $5 BILLION from Public Education as of today. $5 Billion. These people are the same ones going on and on about the country falling about while they kick out the supports.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Some dildo wearing a Monster hat and a lip ring just tried to race me in his Scion TC. My car is not even fast by any means but that was just sad.

I live with two middle school teachers who both teach in the ghetto and theor jobs sound loving miserable. Apparently you only get suspended for 1 day for bringing a loving knife to class and threatening a kid with it. I got suspended for 2 weeks in HS just for 1 punch.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 7, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

In the South, cutting and damaging Public Ed is being used as a way to kickstart private religious schools and force parents to either apply to a private Christian school or look in vain for a suitable public school.

There are 4 Christian Middle/High School charters within 10 miles of my house now.

Hey at least Gwinnett county has a sizable tax base and general affluence to support larger schools. We have neither of those in Hall. Well, we have Flowery Branch, which in and of itself is an example of horrific, racist gerrymandering specifically to benefit the Governor's grandson and ugh I just don't even want to talk about this again

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Hey at least Gwinnett county has a sizable tax base and general affluence to support larger schools. We have neither of those in Hall. Well, we have Flowery Branch, which in and of itself is an example of horrific, racist gerrymandering specifically to benefit the Governor's grandson and ugh I just don't even want to talk about this again

True, Gwinnett is not the worst off, but they are sure trying to catch up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Some dildo wearing a Monster hat and a lip ring just tried to race me in his Scion TC. My car is not even fast by any means but that was just sad.
Young guys are just dicks in their cars. I saw a nice grabber blue mustang today on the highway. He came up behind me but wasn't being a dick and riding anyones rear end, gave him a head nod when he passed and it was some middle aged guy. We hugged a couple curves together and gave each other a hard pass by and then a thumbs up and he took his exit.

Last week I went taking pictures and was making a right onto a street. I let an infinity go by and pulled out after him. Im following for a few seconds and he hits his brakes so I move over to pass and then he started pacing me not letting me by. Its some kid with a backwards hat. I had to slam on my brakes to get behind him so that I could make a right hand turn. Then he follows me half a mile down to the thruway and sped off into the distance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure you need to replace 'common core' with 'standardized testing' for this statement to be true. Common core is not what you're presenting it as, it's not a firm standard that all textbooks and teachers must adhere to.

On the surface it may not look that way, but again, do you have any kids in school?

It sure as hell seems like a firm standard to me from what I've seen, but what do I know.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

leica posted:

On the surface it may not look that way, but again, do you have any kids in school?

It sure as hell seems like a firm standard to me from what I've seen, but what do I know.

I do have a kid but far too young to be in school, but that has no bearing on your misunderstanding of what common core is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dude, it's really hard to watch you do this poo poo to yourself over and over and over. You're living paycheck to paycheck on a pizza delivery job and trying to get off the booze before it kills you, but you drove 70 miles to a concert, got drunk, just had to have that $40 t-shirt, just had to have that last shot, tried to drive home drunk, hosed up your car to the tune of at least a couple hundred bucks by hitting a loving concrete barrier while drunk driving and then driving around on the donut's rim. Not only that, but now you're going to miss out on a day's pay which you can ill afford when you have to buy a new tire.

We all want you to stick around, man :smith:

leica posted:

Seems to me like everybody has spent 20 years asking why all these other countries do so well at math and science, oh why can't little Timmy add and subtract... then we get guidelines in place that say controversial things like "Children should be able to add and subtract within 1000" and suddenly everyone loses their poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its not easy finding that person. And InitialDave is right: You should make the most of being single. Don't rush it. I've been married almost 9 years now, its never been easy.

I'll be 50 this summer. I think it's safe to say that I'm not rushing it. :toot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I do have a kid but far too young to be in school, but that has no bearing on your misunderstanding of what common core is.

Whatever dude, I'm just speaking from my experience with what my son is going through and from what the teachers have told us, but if you feel the need to enlighten me on what common core really is trying to accomplish (and why it's failing at it) I'm all ears.

Good luck when it's time for your kid to go to school, unless you avoid the whole thing by going the private route, which a lot of people are doing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Honestly I can't see a good reason to get married anymore. None of my previous girlfriends were so great that I would want to marry them.

Sign of the times or am I just weird? I'm sure my circumstances and outlook will change, but it's always made zero sense in my head.

Edit: Also possible that all my relationships have just been lovely ones. The longest ones were for three years each. One was a super good looking but also super crazy evangelical daughter of a Southern Baptist preacher. The other one was a tomboy that had less emotion than me (that's saying something...)

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 7, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Honestly I can't see a good reason to get married anymore. None of my previous girlfriends were so great that I would want to marry them.

Sign of the times or am I just weird? I'm sure my circumstances and outlook will change, but it's always made zero sense in my head.

I've come to about the same conclusion. Very very little interest in getting married and no interest at all in having kids. Marriage, well the second income and tax breaks would be pretty sweet. My parents laugh and say someday I'll change my mind, maybe they're right but so far it's a big nope.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Another thing that I found crazy was that my math teacher roomie said that 12 year old kids can't do basic addition and subtration until he puts a dollar sign in front of all the numbers. Then they can magically do it. :wtc:

We have 4 high schools with 1,500+ kids in each in our city and the vocational school is the best one. It has a waiting list and everything. I wish I thought to go there.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 7, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Another thing that I found crazy was that my nath teacher roomie said that 12 year old kids can't do basic addition and subtration until he puts a dollar sign in front of all the numbersm then they can magically do it. :wtc:

So it's like you and poor people, only with puddles.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Edit stupid phone!!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

addition and subtration

Super Aggro Crag posted:

all the numbersm

Day drinking or what? :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Nah I just suck at typing on my cellphone. I have fat man sausage fingers. Have a doctor appointnent today so I left work at noon. I got to splice a couple hundred pairs by myself for the first time today tho which was cool.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SuperDucky posted:

CommieGIR posted:

True, Gwinnett is not the worst off, but they are sure trying to catch up.

Oh god both you guys are stuck in the Gwinnett/Hall suburbs?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

I think Superducky is North Atlanta. I'm in Gwinnett.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

I think Superducky is North Atlanta. I'm in Gwinnett.

Coredump posted:

I lived in Buckhead and Decatur for a few years during undergrad at State. Originally from Flowery Branch, and right back here, now. I start a new job in Gainesville on the 1st (oh yeah, forgot to tell you guys about that, hell yes!!!) and as much as I love it and would want to have a reverse commute it just doesn't make sense to live in the city and commute an hour and half again. Maybe in a few years I can find a job ITP and move back. Being literally 4 minutes from the sailing club is nice, though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Adiabatic posted:

I swore up and down I'd never get married, like never ever and that it was just a silly idea. After 6 months of dating, my girl and I bailed on our hometown and moved across the country with barely any money and a $1500 jetta that got repoed 3 months later. Somehow we made it through all the poo poo that followed and 6 years later we got married. It just kind of happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

I lived in Buckhead and Decatur for a few years during undergrad at State. Originally from Flowery Branch, and right back here, now. I start a new job in Gainesville on the 1st (oh yeah, forgot to tell you guys about that, hell yes!!!) and as much as I love it and would want to have a reverse commute it just doesn't make sense to live in the city and commute an hour and half again. Maybe in a few years I can find a job ITP and move back. Being literally 4 minutes from the sailing club is nice, though.

Congrats on the job. Still going to Wurthersee?

• Locked thread