Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

:frogout:

More seriously, given our history I don't really mind the Secret Service going overboard when the President is around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why doesn't he just travel by chopper if surface travel shuts down entire cities?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

More seriously, given our history I don't really mind the Secret Service going overboard when the President is around.
It's not that the Secret Service is being unreasonable, it's that the President visiting a city doesn't generate nearly as much value as pain it causes the locals.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

It's not that the Secret Service is being unreasonable, it's that the President visiting a city doesn't generate nearly as much value as pain it causes the locals.

So, once he's in the White House, the President should just lock himself in and not leave until his term is over?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baronjutter posted:

Why doesn't he just travel by chopper if surface travel shuts down entire cities?

For the most part he does, but most buildings aren't built with helipads so he still needs to travel by car part of the way. The East Coast deals with this sort of thing a lot more than the West Coast does, so I don't think that we've got too much to complain about.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

So, once he's in the White House, the President should just lock himself in and not leave until his term is over?

How essential are fundraisers to the functioning of our government?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

The President should weigh: A) the importance of physically going to any particular location, B) What level of protection they think is necessary for that location, and C) The local effect of applying that level of protection, and make an informed decision about what to do. Given the existence of Skype and military bases, any rational analysis is going to fall on the stay home side pretty often.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

twodot posted:

The President should weigh: A) the importance of physically going to any particular location, B) What level of protection they think is necessary for that location, and C) The local effect of applying that level of protection, and make an informed decision about what to do. Given the existence of Skype and military bases, any rational analysis is going to fall on the stay home side pretty often.

Well they do weigh those things in the balance, but frankly the importance of the president physically going to any particular location is always high, since it's the president and if it wasn't important then they'd be doing something else. The level of protection is also always going to be high. The local effect of applying that level of protection is generally going to be low, since it usually only lasts for a few hours at a time, and rarely repeats for more than a day or two. The only time that it becomes an issue is when the president goes to the UN, which is in the middle of Manhattan and the visits there typically take several days and cause such massive impacts to New York traffic that even the Secret Service tries to take it into consideration.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Kaal posted:

Well they do weigh those things in the balance, but frankly the importance of the president physically going to any particular location is always high, since it's the president and if it wasn't important then they'd be doing something else.
This is just "The President is by definition correct." which I'm going to go ahead and totally reject. Details I have about this visit:
There is a fundraiser.
He's going to say words supporting some trade legislation.

I don't see any reason to tolerate literally any level of disruption for this.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

twodot posted:

This is just "The President is by definition correct." which I'm going to go ahead and totally reject. Details I have about this visit:
There is a fundraiser.
He's going to say words supporting some trade legislation.

I don't see any reason to tolerate literally any level of disruption for this.

Hah, ok, call the governor and see if she thinks that your commute is more important than the president visiting her and her state.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
My commute and the other hundred thousand people on the road.

If he's going to a private fundraiser he can loving sit in traffic like everyone else.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Thanatosian posted:

it would be nice if the president, senate, and congrephth were held to something approaching the same standard as a normal humon workor yes

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Kaal posted:

Hah, ok, call the governor and see if she thinks that your commute is more important than the president visiting her and her state.
You realize that my whole thing here is that I think that people in power don't give a poo poo about people not in power. Noting that the governor also doesn't care doesn't work against that position at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

twodot posted:

You realize that my whole thing here is that I think that people in power don't give a poo poo about people not in power. Noting that the governor also doesn't care doesn't work against that position at all.

Especially when it's another ugly part of our modern nightmare of campaign financing.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Nobody gives a poo poo what your thing is honestly. Oh no the president has a security detail, stop the presses. Of all the pissant things to get :qq: about.

Ernie Muppari posted:

it would be nice if the president, senate, and congrephth were held to something approaching the same standard as a normal humon workor yes

No, actually it makes a lot of sense that the most powerful person in the world is treated differently than joe bob over at the local grocery.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

twodot posted:

Hey that's not entirely fair, I'm not in power and I also don't care about your commute. :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tsa posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo what your thing is honestly. Oh no the president has a security detail, stop the presses. Of all the pissant things to get :qq: about.

No, actually it makes a lot of sense that the most powerful person in the world is treated differently than joe bob over at the local grocery.

I disagree, abolish class. Joe at the grocery store's life and safety should be held equally important as anyone else's. Of course people with actual daily threats to their lives need more security resources, but only because their life is in actual danger, not because they are "more important".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm sorry, I went to school in California and it stuck.

Please don't expel me to the barbaric regions that surround us. :ohdear:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

tsa posted:

Pretty much. Being inconvenienced once every couple years for an hour is hardly the kind of thing to be whining about. Folks who live in and around the Washington Beltway deal with this sort of thing just about every week. Welcome to the world, etc.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

tsa posted:

and that's why they get to spend less time doing their very important job

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
I mean if you don't like it why not become president and change it? If a poor black boy from Chicago can do it I'm wondering what everyone's excuse is.

It's weird to see a lot of people jumping on this right wing talking point though, dude has an expensive plane and car to go around in, get over it. He's not a prisoner; he is allowed to travel to various functions within reason.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I disagree, abolish class. Joe at the grocery store's life and safety should be held equally important as anyone else's. Of course people with actual daily threats to their lives need more security resources, but only because their life is in actual danger, not because they are "more important".

Class isn't involved here, it's status based on profession. Fire trucks and ambulances also get right of way on the roads because they're considered "more important". Roads and transit get closed down for public events all the time, even when it inconveniences people that don't want to attend. Society endures.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

tsa posted:

I mean if you don't like it why not become president and change it? If a poor black boy from Chicago can do it I'm wondering what everyone's excuse is.

lol

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

tsa posted:

It's weird to see a lot of people jumping on this right wing talking point though, dude has an expensive plane and car to go around in, get over it. He's not a prisoner; he is allowed to travel to various functions within reason.
I'm disputing what exists within reason here. Attending a fund raiser isn't a reason to inconvenience anyone. I get this happens with some frequency, but that doesn't make it good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Come to Idaho and you won't ever have to worry about the secret service ruining your commute.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Damnable black helicopters will buzz you while you're camping though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Same.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
He's in Portland to give a speech at nike headquarters promoting the trans Pacific partnership.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ernie Muppari posted:

I'm not really interested in exploring the potentially history-changing outcomes of having the president stuck in traffic on I-5. I certainly don't mind waiting a little bit for someone who regularly faces assassination threats, and who's predecessors have been assassinated.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twodot posted:

It's not that the Secret Service is being unreasonable,

I dunno, I think it's likely that the Secret Service goes overboard in some ways that are essentially rear end-covering. Like shutting down light-rail trains for a large area whenever the President's on the move even if there aren't any at-grade crossings anywhere between where the President is and where he's going.

I don't have a huge problem with loving up traffic for a day or two since it's only every few years that it happens anyway. The thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the thought that people trying to take an alternate form of transportation would also be held up seemingly needlessly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
These days literally everything the secret service does is rear end-covering.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there a thread where the Trans-Pacific Partnership is being discussed? OPB did an interview with the White House press secretary this morning and he said that TPP will supposedly cause Nike and other places to "create tens of thousands of jobs" in the US. Is there any reasoning behind how that's supposed to work, beyond "it's free trade lol"?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
No and further more it's classified. Because negotiations are still on going with different countries, releasing the terms of the agreements may cause S. Korea to balk because say... Vietnam got better terms. :911:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

twodot posted:

I'm disputing what exists within reason here. Attending a fund raiser isn't a reason to inconvenience anyone. I get this happens with some frequency, but that doesn't make it good.

What about critical mass? Antiwar protests? Prowar protests? Timbers games? Train jumpers? Just part of modern life. And not riding a bike.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I certainly don't mind waiting a little bit for someone who regularly faces assassination threats, and who's predecessors have been assassinated.

Have there been any credible assassination threats? I've heard of crazies going too far with talk on the internet, but that's about it. What is there that could penetrate his limo that would possibly be prevented by shutting down a train that doesn't even come within eyesight of him?

This isn't a loving war zone.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

sullat posted:

What about critical mass? Antiwar protests? Prowar protests? Timbers games? Train jumpers? Just part of modern life. And not riding a bike.
I don't even understand what you are asking. Train jumpers are unambiguously bad. Obviously they will happen sometimes, but it would be good to reduce the rate.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

oxbrain posted:

Have there been any credible assassination threats? I've heard of crazies going too far with talk on the internet, but that's about it. What is there that could penetrate his limo that would possibly be prevented by shutting down a train that doesn't even come within eyesight of him?

This isn't a loving war zone.

How would you know if the President's route doesn't come within eyesight of the rail? The Secret Service mixes up routes and methods of transportation all the time, and it's likely that there are backup routes where they would need the rail shut down.

As far as credible threats, you'd have to define what credible means since the standard is to investigate everything and part of being president is receiving a whole boatload of them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Solkanar512 posted:

How would you know if the President's route doesn't come within eyesight of the rail? The Secret Service mixes up routes and methods of transportation all the time, and it's likely that there are backup routes where they would need the rail shut down.

This is absurd, since they don't clear the sidewalks wherever the motorcade might pass by, and that offers a much better position than "eyesight of the rail". If we're going to accept total paranoia why not just issue a total curfew for the metro area whenever the President is in town?

Hell, there's only like 160 light-rail cars or so in the whole system anyway. Just stick a couple National Guard soldiers on each car.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is there a thread where the Trans-Pacific Partnership is being discussed? OPB did an interview with the White House press secretary this morning and he said that TPP will supposedly cause Nike and other places to "create tens of thousands of jobs" in the US. Is there any reasoning behind how that's supposed to work, beyond "it's free trade lol"?

There is literally nothing beyond conspiracy theory level of speculation and any thread devoted to it will devolve into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd put those claims of Nike's on par with Boeing's claims that giving them tax breaks will make them bring more jobs to Washington.

• Locked thread