Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does that bundle apply to any 980 I can find or only specific models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

Another pic surfaced, seems it is a tube-connected radiator like the 295X2.

Yeah, one thing I really like about this is the tiny size as well as the radiator. There's no space needed on the board for the memory, so they just made it tiny and threw on a CLC. I have to say, that's a really loving sweet design.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cat doter posted:

It's no being dramatic, it's being pragmatic. The value of the card is probably gonna plummet pretty soon and I'm unhappy with the state of AMD's driver support (bad performance on new releases etc). I'm just gonna stick with nvidia from now on.

No, you're being dramatic. "I'm going to sell off my 290 before the value drops" is undramatic, reasoned, and pragmatic.

cat doter posted:

loving hell AMD you're becoming a parody of yourself, ANOTHER 7850 refresh? REALLY?! uuugghhhhrhghghrhghgrrrrr

This is all 28nm's fault, loving old as poo poo process die shrink your poo poo already GPU vendors god drat

Perhaps since HBM is new tech they're having trouble getting a lot of it made so it'll just be on the high end stuff, and maybe it'll actually be super impressive! One can hope, because gently caress me AMD are really shooting themselves in the foot, they're not competing with nvidia well enough for them to matter. This is starting to get a little worrying. A world where nvidia are unstoppable is not a world I want to live in. Competition is good.

I kinda feel like just selling my R9 290 and going nvidia asap.

That is dramatic.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ars has a story about AMD wanting to refocus on performance and stop just being the "low cost" alternative. As they say in the story, AMD has promised big things before, but this is an unusual amount of self-awareness and humility.

edit: Also yes, those are OEM cards and probably don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Does that bundle apply to any 980 I can find or only specific models?

It's specific retailers

http://www.geforce.com/FreeAdventures

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Help me, I have a perfectly good 980 that I want to swap for a Titan X :homebrew:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Anti-Hero posted:

Help me, I have a perfectly good 980 that I want to swap for a Titan X :homebrew:

This but a GTX 770 I bought last year and I want a 980 so I can turn The Witcher 3 all the way up.

edit: vv Yeah I should just wait for the 980 ti if I'm going to pay that sort of money.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 7, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

havenwaters posted:

This but a GTX 770 I bought last year and I want a 980 so I can turn The Witcher 3 all the way up.

980 Ti comin'.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I also have a 980 that I sorta want to upgrade to the eventual Ti version :ohdear:

e: :shepspends:, the more appropriate emote.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This generation isn't the Titan going to be faster than the x80Ti?

Edit:regarding game performance, I mean.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Anti-Hero posted:

No clue, but the TI will certainly be cut down to either 6 or 9gb of memory.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, you're being dramatic. "I'm going to sell off my 290 before the value drops" is undramatic, reasoned, and pragmatic.

That is dramatic.

The tone may have come off as dramatic, but all I meant was AMD is loving up bad in a way that's worrying because the enthusiast GPU space needs healthy competition to drive the tech forward. Considering how competition hostile nvidia can be, if they end up pushing AMD out of the market that's bad for everyone. And it's not just in the hardware space either, they're not competing even remotely with their drivers. Big CPU overhead, slow to implement optimised game drivers. They're a bad choice for anything other than a very basic, cheap rig and even then I might recommend against them and tell people to get a 750ti instead. AMD used to live in that range.

I just wanna cut my losses at this point and go with nvidia, even though I want competition to thrive, they're just not providing a compelling product. I'm hoping that changes with HBM and DX12 fixes whatever the hell is wrong with their DX11 overhead but I'm not holding my breath.

So yeah, wasn't trying to be dramatic, just bewildered and frustrated.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anti-Hero posted:

I doubt it, there's no precedent so far - the pattern has consistently been that Titan is released, then a lower VRAM and much cheaper Geforce version hits that performs identically (bar the VRAM).

cat doter posted:

They're a bad choice for anything other than a very basic, cheap rig

I wouldn't agree:- there are plenty of people using AMD cards in modern games without huge issues, and right now they still have the best cards in the price point between the Geforce 960 and 970.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For what it's worth one of the leaks said the 980Ti will be clocked ~130mhz higher than the Titan X, but their overclocking headroom will be more or less identical so it hardly matters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

HalloKitty posted:

I doubt it, there's no precedent so far - the pattern has consistently been that Titan is released, then a lower VRAM and much cheaper Geforce version hits that performs identically (bar the VRAM).

I wouldn't agree:- there are plenty of people using AMD cards in modern games without huge issues, and right now they still have the best cards in the price point between the Geforce 960 and 970.

Yeah, beyond 750ti and 970 territory lots of AMD options are far more compelling, at least in terms of price/performance. I'd grab a 280x over a 960 any day, and you can usually find the former for cheaper.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Isn't the R9-290 basically 80% of a 970 for 66% of the price? That's not a bad option either if R9-290s are still around $210.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And about 50% more power, but if power usage, heat, and noise aren't concerns, getting a non-blower 290 is a pretty good idea.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, there's still an argument to be made for their mid-ish range stuff but there's still a chance of a new game coming out having inexplicably terrible AMD performance (happens way too frequently). You're just more likely to have a more consistent experience with nvidia at this point. I think too often people just regard raw specs and forget that AMD often drops the ball on their driver support.

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't the R9-290 basically 80% of a 970 for 66% of the price? That's not a bad option either if R9-290s are still around $210.

In terms of raw performance, yes. I should say so no one misconstrues what I'm saying, I like my R9 290, it's a good card, and when the support is there and everything is working well, it runs games exceedingly well and it scales with higher resolutions like a loving champ. The 290 at its current price point is a very competitive purchase, I just wish AMD's whole lineup was like that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Water cooled cards are actually p. cool since you can keep the chip much cooler while also running much quieter. You can pick up a 120mm CPU AIO at Newegg for like $40 and AMD would buy wholesale, not retail. If people do it for a 88W CPU then why wouldn't it make sense on a 250W GPU too? That board is tiny for a flagship card, you could do some really cool, really quiet, really tiny mini-ITX builds with those even before the 395x2 comes out.

Its possible they need a more powerful cooler even if they kept the TDP reasonable - HBM may be more power efficient, but it'll dissipate into a smaller chip and there will be a lot less surface area to stick heatpipes onto. They supposedly are releasing air cooled reference cards too, so it's probably not impossible, but it's a certainty that they'll be hotter than the liquid cooled cards.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
So that picture of the 390X is apparently a fake.

http://wccftech.com/fake-render-amd-radeon-r9-390x-internet/

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
AMD drivers are fine and have been fine for awhile man. I don't think anyone cares or wants to talk you out of switching to Nvidia. If you want to switch, go for it.

Edit: just for a point of reference, what have you been having problems with?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Not him, but AMDs drivers have some severe CPU bottlenecking issues on Project CARS. It uses DX11s optional command lists to achieve multi-threaded rendering, which AMD has never bothered to implement except as a one-off for Civilization V.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

repiv posted:

Not him, but AMDs drivers have some severe CPU bottlenecking issues on Project CARS. It uses DX11s optional command lists to achieve multi-threaded rendering, which AMD has never bothered to implement except as a one-off for Civilization V.

Yeah, for me it's nothing specific, but it's stuff like this, and way more often than I'd like. The fact that I'm downloading project cars right now means I'm super happy!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The sad part now I think of it is that the Xbox One runs the game perfectly, on an AMD GPU, on a weak-rear end CPU with DX11. Microsofts AMD drivers do multi-threading better than AMDs AMD drivers :eyepop:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

"Perfectly" on the Xbox one meaning sub-1080p and probably around 30fps of course

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

A lot of new releases have an "AMD cycle" where they get released, run bad on AMD GPUs (but generally well enough to be playable) and you either play through the game in a sub optimal way or wait a week or possibly weeks or even months for a driver update that fixes the issue. It's a lot of fun.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

beejay posted:

"Perfectly" on the Xbox one meaning sub-1080p and probably around 30fps of course

It holds 50-60fps on a 1.7ghz APU, and resolution is irrelevant since that doesn't increase CPU load. Meanwhile the PC version chokes before hitting 60fps at similar settings on a 4790K@4.5ghz.

It's the same GPU architecture, the same graphics API and the same performance but the later requires an order of magnitude faster CPU to pull it off.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 8, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

repiv posted:

It holds 50-60fps on a 1.7ghz APU, and resolution is irrelevant since that doesn't increase CPU load. Meanwhile the PC version chokes before hitting 60fps at similar settings on a 4790K@4.5ghz.

It's the same GPU architecture, the same graphics API and the same performance but the later requires an order of magnitude faster CPU to pull it off.

oh my god the 290 is under the 660ti? ffffffffffff should have got the ps4 version

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

A lot of new releases have an "AMD cycle" where they get released, run bad on AMD GPUs (but generally well enough to be playable) and you either play through the game in a sub optimal way or wait a week or possibly weeks or even months for a driver update that fixes the issue. It's a lot of fun.

I never play games until they're $5 on steam so AMD has been a good buy for me :v:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

cat doter posted:

How long until AMD fixes Kotor 1?
I got a Steam copy of that earlier this year and tried it on a 6850, you have to turn off shader effects (aka everything that looks halfway nice) or the game crashes instantly. Apparently the OpenGL driver was patched to cope for some time, then something broke it again and never got taken care of.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

cat doter posted:

oh my god the 290 is under the 660ti? ffffffffffff should have got the ps4 version

I guess I'll hold onto my 660Ti a while longer and wait for Pascal. Pascal will be the true game changer anyway.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

cat doter posted:

It's no being dramatic, it's being pragmatic. The value of the card is probably gonna plummet pretty soon and I'm unhappy with the state of AMD's driver support (bad performance on new releases etc).
Hahahaha resale value of high end GPU's was most always poo poo anyways vs new price. I hope you're trolling otherwise you're a sucker if you ever buy based on used resale value.

Seriously sucks with those rebrands confirmed though. Its worse now than it was with nV and their 8xxx rebranding.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Thinking about getting a 970 4gb card. Right now I have a corsair modular 450w power supply. I think I have last years i5 and an ssd with a gtx 760 sc currently.

The recommendations on the evga page say the 970 requires a 500w supply. Is that accurate or will my current supply work?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Thinking about getting a 970 4gb card. Right now I have a corsair modular 450w power supply. I think I have last years i5 and an ssd with a gtx 760 sc currently.

The recommendations on the evga page say the 970 requires a 500w supply. Is that accurate or will my current supply work?

Yes. The 970 uses the same amount of power or less

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Water cooled cards are actually p. cool since you can keep the chip much cooler while also running much quieter. You can pick up a 120mm CPU AIO at Newegg for like $40 and AMD would buy wholesale, not retail. If people do it for a 88W CPU then why wouldn't it make sense on a 250W GPU too? That board is tiny for a flagship card, you could do some really cool, really quiet, really tiny mini-ITX builds with those even before the 395x2 comes out.

Its possible they need a more powerful cooler even if they kept the TDP reasonable - HBM may be more power efficient, but it'll dissipate into a smaller chip and there will be a lot less surface area to stick heatpipes onto. They supposedly are releasing air cooled reference cards too, so it's probably not impossible, but it's a certainty that they'll be hotter than the liquid cooled cards.

Liquid cooling is pretty much ideal but it just bodes poorly that its a factory thing. You can be sure nobody at AMD was really like "well this works really great with air but wouldnt water be even better?" especially to anybody who counts money or thinks about market appeal. But in general I'm sure it will be pretty awesome, on the that side of things.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I guess I'll hold onto my 660Ti a while longer and wait for Pascal. Pascal will be the true game changer anyway.

That's just in project cars, usually the R9 290 trounces the 660ti but of course you get instances like that where AMD performs poorly. It's probably a complex problem, perhaps the developers were only really given resources to optimise by nvidia, perhaps AMD's drivers are just borked for that game or perhaps nvidia maybe made it difficult for slightly mad studios to get help from AMD, but that's a bit too conspiratorial for me. The end result is the only thing that matters anyway.

sauer kraut posted:

How long until AMD fixes Kotor 1?
I got a Steam copy of that earlier this year and tried it on a 6850, you have to turn off shader effects (aka everything that looks halfway nice) or the game crashes instantly. Apparently the OpenGL driver was patched to cope for some time, then something broke it again and never got taken care of.

I played through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood recently and that performed quite well. Mostly locked 60 at ultra except in some cases where there were a lot of zambies. That game is opengl I'm pretty sure, so it's not all bad. When The New Order came out though it ran really awful with the pages per frame setting above 16. Now I can run it at 64 no problem.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Hahahaha resale value of high end GPU's was most always poo poo anyways vs new price. I hope you're trolling otherwise you're a sucker if you ever buy based on used resale value.

Seriously sucks with those rebrands confirmed though. Its worse now than it was with nV and their 8xxx rebranding.

I never buy cards specifically with resale in mind, but I like upgrading semi frequently so I try to sell my current card when there's something worth upgrading to so I can subsidise the cost of the new card. You never do that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cat doter posted:

That's just in project cars, usually the R9 290 trounces the 660ti but of course you get instances like that where AMD performs poorly. It's probably a complex problem, perhaps the developers were only really given resources to optimise by nvidia, perhaps AMD's drivers are just borked for that game or perhaps nvidia maybe made it difficult for slightly mad studios to get help from AMD, but that's a bit too conspiratorial for me. The end result is the only thing that matters anyway.

Slightly Mad Studios posted:

We’re reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We’ve provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year.

:shrug:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ahahahaha I thought about this too but thought it was too stupid to be possible.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
As much as people like to say AMD drivers are fine now, they've been nothing but a pain in the rear end on my laptop. It's an HP with i7, 8GB ram and AMD 6750M card in it and I've had a lot of issues with it. GTA5 for example still doesn't work at all, doesn't even launch. I really wish I'd gone with Nvidia mobile gpu. M

On the desktop side I've gone from 8800GT->560Ti>660Ti>970GTX without major issues, the only really notable fuckup I remember was when they hosed up a driver update and removed termal throttling back in 8800GT days, had it running at 100C for a day before they released a fix. Made a decision to stay away for awhile after the amazing fuckup that was my ATI1950PRO card, and it's been working well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For anyone who's buying a 970 soon, Newegg has that new ASUS revision in with the open blower cooler for $329: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

The Strix is :10bux: cheaper with a rebate, and supposedly has their special 'DIGI+' VRM voodoo. The 'Turbo' is sort of a warmed-over stock card.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 8, 2015