Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cheese posted:

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Jacket, Patagonia Houdini and Outdoor Research Ferrosi. I wore all 3 of these jackets each day, sometimes layered and sometimes solo. Super happy with all 3 - the Houdini especially was perfect for the "its hot when we walk but suddenly COLD WIND out of no where". Slept in the Ghost Whisperer with the Ferrosi on top and it was great.

Houdini owns bones for high activity stuff. Moving too fast for a jacket, but you want to keep the wind and light precipitation at bay? Houdini and a tee. The houdini shirt is so underrated, it's easily my most used jacket & it's also pretty much the perfect solution for overcast Seattle weather for day to day wear if you get it in black or something.

I've been thinking about trying out combining a nano air and houdini for my insulation layer -- breathability when I want it, houdini underneath to block wind at high altitude, standing still, or on particularly windy days. If anyone's had the same thought and tried it out please let me know how it went before I drop $300 on a glorified sweatshirt.

In general I've been trying to split things up into layers to get the most versatility/options out of the weight I pack. Thinking about switching from zipoff nylon pants and tights to ul shorts + high activity synth tights + warm sleeping merino tights + rain kilt + wind pants since I can carry all 4 of those for the same weight as a normal pair of pants.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've always done a gore tex layer over the top of a puffy. The issue with that is if you do start to get warm your waterproof layer will trap the sweat and get your down layer wet.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

n8r posted:

I've always done a gore tex layer over the top of a puffy. The issue with that is if you do start to get warm your waterproof layer will trap the sweat and get your down layer wet.

That's what I've been doing, except cheap rain shell instead of actual gore tex. I'm basically experimenting with alternate approaches to the puffy/gore combination that would be better suited for high activity so I don't end up with a sweatbox and I can maximize the amount of time I can actually wear my layers for while moving before they get stripped. Right now the idea is most breathable hardshell I can find + houdini + nano air + synthetic shirt (dayhikes for dry time) or merino shirt (backpacking for smell) The idea being I could throw the houdini in there whenever the lack of wind resistance gets in the way, or the hardshell is overkill, since a small houdini weighs basically nothing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

n8r posted:

I think planning on bringing a bag that you need have to wear all of your clothes to stay warm is a bad idea. Your clothes get wet and you freeze your nuts off. Seems like common sense to me.
Why wouldn't I wear them? I mean, I would counter with "Why bring a heavy sleeping bag rated for super cold temperatures that will be so hot that I have to sleep in my underwear when I am already packing a half pound puffy down jacket anyway?". Obviously this is somewhat facetious since you can buy a 20 degree quilt that weighs 2 pounds which will handle literally everything from freezing nights to warm summer, but I specifically bought a lighter 40 degree quilt because I'm a hot sleeper.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If there are ballers on a budget looking at the Hoodini, I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt that I bought for about $40.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...&colorFamily=07

There's no hood, but the sleeves are sufficiently long and torso just barely long enough for me, who is very long in both places and something I find Patagonia always comes up a little short in. There's a light fleece lining on the DriClime, so maybe people feel it's a little too warm compared to the Hoodini?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I kind of really want a Houdini but I don't need one...it's just a bit lighter than the OR Helium II that I use double duty as a wind breaker/rain jacket and while it'd be more versatile in areas that don't expect a lot of rain, I can't justify the cost right now.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

If there are ballers on a budget looking at the Hoodini, I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt that I bought for about $40.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...&colorFamily=07

There's no hood, but the sleeves are sufficiently long and torso just barely long enough for me, who is very long in both places and something I find Patagonia always comes up a little short in. There's a light fleece lining on the DriClime, so maybe people feel it's a little too warm compared to the Hoodini?

it also weighs 3 times as much as the houdini because of that lining, you won't wear it as much as the houdini because of the lining, and what's the point of a windshirt without a hood? also houdini is really long in the torso, if other patagonia stuff hasn't worked out for you -- i'm 5'9 and the small ends around at the bottom of my rear end. not that it's a horrible jacket or anything, it's just not filling the same niche as the houdini (wind/UV resistance with minimal weight and insulation and good breathability)

i'm always ballin' on a budget ultralight + ultracheap, but the houdini is definitely a piece i'm glad i didn't cheap out on. actually, i almost got it in bright yellow for $40 when it was on sale at REI but i'm glad i didn't because the houdini in black is also my #1 most used casual outerlayer for day to day stuff (and it dries quick as hell in black.) it's really fitted and plain, which is nice if you want to wear techwear stuff off the trail and not look like a total nerdshoe.

you can get cheap windshirts at goodwill and stuff though, they're all over because people get them for jogging. Just look for a thin light weight nylon jacket that says "NIKE" on it. women's section especially is FULL of them and most of them are unisex colors and cuts anyways. most of them don't have hoods that will stay up in the wind tho.

Levitate posted:

I kind of really want a Houdini but I don't need one...it's just a bit lighter than the OR Helium II that I use double duty as a wind breaker/rain jacket and while it'd be more versatile in areas that don't expect a lot of rain, I can't justify the cost right now.

i wish i went with the helium ii first, living in the NW, but they're both nice to have. i feel like any rain shell, h2 included, would be a little too warm for high activity outside of winter with just a shirt underneath, but i can walk around in the houdini and a poly tee in 80* weather like it's nothing. i get all kinds of stares from people thinking i'm walking around in a rain jacket on nice but windy days. houdini's the ultimate "i want to have something on but it's not raining hard" jacket.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 7, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cheese posted:

Why wouldn't I wear them? I mean, I would counter with "Why bring a heavy sleeping bag rated for super cold temperatures that will be so hot that I have to sleep in my underwear when I am already packing a half pound puffy down jacket anyway?". Obviously this is somewhat facetious since you can buy a 20 degree quilt that weighs 2 pounds which will handle literally everything from freezing nights to warm summer, but I specifically bought a lighter 40 degree quilt because I'm a hot sleeper.

Well as I said, if your clothes are wet you may not have enough of a bag to stay warm. Having a relatively warm bag is a good safety buffer if the temps drop or your gear gets wet.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

n8r posted:

Well as I said, if your clothes are wet you may not have enough of a bag to stay warm. Having a relatively warm bag is a good safety buffer if the temps drop or your gear gets wet.

I mean, I guess anything is possible. My sleeping quilt and puffy are both in water proof sacks, so I would imagine if one is wet then the other is too. I might have gone a different route if I expected rain, but I felt like this was a good setup for a dry few days with high heat and cold nights.

I love mine so much - kind of wish I had gotten black instead of blue for on the street use, but its great either way.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

it's really fitted and plain, which is nice if you want to wear techwear stuff off the trail and not look like a total nerdshoe.

Wear the bright yellow jacket anyways. Who gives a gently caress! I don't know about you but my dignity is surely worth less than $200.

EDIT: Be the cretin only you can be

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

wearing techwear off-trail looks way less nerdy once the techwear gets very dirty

my rain jacket is yellow and reflective for biking, and it's dirty with 8 years of dirt and bike grease from daily commuting, and i love it, i'm going to be so sad when it dies and i have to get a shiny new one :(

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Everyone wears technical stuff nowadays. It's all bright-colored North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Polartec, Helly Hansen everywhere in the city, it has become loving fashion. I recently saw a woman pushing a stroller down a shopping street in her Barney-purple 500$ Arc'Teryx Beta AR. Wear your nerdy gear when you like and where you like.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theroachman posted:

Everyone wears technical stuff nowadays. It's all bright-colored North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Polartec, Helly Hansen everywhere in the city, it has become loving fashion. I recently saw a woman pushing a stroller down a shopping street in her Barney-purple 500$ Arc'Teryx Beta AR. Wear your nerdy gear when you like and where you like.

It's great because I have no clue about fashion and yet I look cool now.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
BF and I went to the North Face outlet in Castle Rock sometime last year. He was wearing his summit series soft shell when we went in. The clerk complimented him, since "Summit Series is so fashionable!" Urgh. But, it is pretty typical Colorado High Fashion to trot around in gear by certain manufacturers. Me, I fly under the radar in my Rab shell. No one is the wiser!

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
What is the general strategy for cooking while it is raining? I'm imaging a scenario where it is pouring rain with no sign of letting up, and it is meal time. Do you just tough it out and cook in the rain with a rain jacket? Cook in a tent? Bring a tarp to set up and cook under? Snack on some gorp until the rain lets up?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Scottw330 posted:

What is the general strategy for cooking while it is raining? I'm imaging a scenario where it is pouring rain with no sign of letting up, and it is meal time. Do you just tough it out and cook in the rain with a rain jacket? Cook in a tent? Bring a tarp to set up and cook under? Snack on some gorp until the rain lets up?
Assuming by "cooking" you mean "heating up a small cup of water", then I would think your tent would be ok?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Scottw330 posted:

I just cook in the vestibule.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

cheese posted:

Assuming by "cooking" you mean "heating up a small cup of water", then I would think your tent would be ok?

Yeah, boiling a liter of water for freeze dried meals or cooking some pasta, nothing fancy.

I usually dont like eating or cooking anywhere near a tent because I dont want to spill food and attract bears, but I'm definitely tempted if it is raining.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Save me jeebus posted:

I just cook in the vestibule.
This. If it's raining chances are it's windy enough to not have to worry about exhaust. Goes without saying but don't ever leave your cooking setup unattended.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015
Out of the blue here, but I'm going on a 800 mile hike for the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan over two months and was wondering about the issue that's always kicked my rear end to some degree; chafing.

In the past what's worked for me is just slathering bodyglide over thighs, rear end, strap contact area, etc. I was just wondering if there was a less smelly alternative that has worked for everyone else. Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones. I was thinking of a tarp for shelter, 550 cord, a few bungees, and maybe a really light sleeping bag.

Here's my packing list so far:

550 Cord
Tarp for shelter
Bungees
Light sleeping bag
Couple lighters
Goretex top-bottom for rain
Compass
Phone
Rape Whistle
Bright fabric for emergency
GPS
iodine tabs for emergency
Extra set of boots (wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible)
Six pair of socks (in the past I used fox rivers, decently satisfied with them)
2-Quarts Water
And the assorted pilgrimage stuff that they give you

Any thoughts on this? It's kind of a strange path, sometime it's pretty isolated for tens of miles, but then there are quite a few towns/temples along the way. It's the least populated of the major islands, so it isn't like there's a huge city every two feet either. I'm trying to keep the weight fairly low in order to keep my target distance of 25m a day, so cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 8, 2015

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Scottw330 posted:

Yeah, boiling a liter of water for freeze dried meals or cooking some pasta, nothing fancy.

I usually dont like eating or cooking anywhere near a tent because I dont want to spill food and attract bears, but I'm definitely tempted if it is raining.

The ants in North Carolina were always worse than the big wildlife. You'd be convinced that you'd cleaned it all up perfectly and they'd still find something to swarm over. We always would end up having to eat a significant distance from our campsite.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 8, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

NonNCO posted:

The ants in North Carolina were always worse than the big wildlife. You'd be convinced that you'd cleaned it all up perfectly and they'd still find something to swarm over. We always would end up having to eat a significant distance from our campsite.

But then again, ants don't really come out in the rain do they?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

NonNCO posted:

Out of the blue here, but I'm going on a 800 mile hike for the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan over two months and was wondering about the issue that's always kicked my rear end to some degree; chafing.

In the past what's worked for me is just slathering bodyglide over thighs, rear end, strap contact area, etc. I was just wondering if there was a less smelly alternative that has worked for everyone else. Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones. I was thinking of a tarp for shelter, 550 cord, a few bungees, and maybe a really light sleeping bag.

Here's my packing list so far:

550 Cord
Tarp for shelter
Bungees
Light sleeping bag
Couple lighters
Goretex top-bottom for rain
Compass
Phone
Rape Whistle
Bright fabric for emergency
GPS
iodine tabs for emergency
Extra set of boots (wondering if anyone knows a good non-military boot, I was used to using nike SF and standard issue boots, which were terrible)
Six pair of socks (in the past I used fox rivers, decently satisfied with them)
2-Quarts Water
And the assorted pilgrimage stuff that they give you

Any thoughts on this? It's kind of a strange path, sometime it's pretty isolated for tens of miles, but then there are quite a few towns/temples along the way. It's the least populated of the major islands, so it isn't like there's a huge city every two feet either. I'm trying to keep the weight fairly low in order to keep my target distance of 25m a day, so cutting out food/cooking stuff/tons of heavy poo poo in general was important to me and there seems to be enough civilization that I can eat along the way.

If you have cash I would buy an io get weight tent and a good pack back (got to REI and try them on) or buy one from zpaxk or ULA. I love my ULA.

Go online and read gear lost for the pct and carry as little as possible. I didn't see a stove or water filter among your gear.

Hiking in running shorts and or rights has eliminated chaffing for us.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

or buy a kilt and go commando. popular on the AT

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

NonNCO posted:

I've never had chafing issues, not sure if it's due to the underwear I wear or not, but they seem quite popular. Might give a pair of these a try: Exofficio boxer briefs.

What's your laundry situation going to be? 6 pairs of socks is overkill if you get nice wool socks (smartwool, darn tough, etc).

Here's my list for the 300 miles I did last summer. Once you're over about 50 miles, 300 might as well be 3000 when it comes to gear. You obviously won't need a bear canister so that'd drop >2 lbs off your pack weight.

Where are you located and what's your budget?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
In the entertainment industry the chafing is called "gig butt" and is both prevented and treated by Gold Bond powder. If you hunt around drug stores you can find these little travel sized bottles of it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

NonNCO posted:

Also, looking to buy a civilian with comfy straps for 25 miles/day pace, wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones.

In my experience, most civilians object to being carried 25 miles, but they do appreciate the use of comfy straps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm definitely not a legit backpacker / hiker, but 25 miles per day sounds like am insane pace. Do people really hike at that?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yes but it depends on the terrain and fitness of the person. 20 miles per day is usually a long day for a lot of people who aren't just doing straight up fast packing

It's probably a bit ambitious over 800 miles unless you're used to that pace already and planned around it

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Saint Fu posted:

I've never had chafing issues, not sure if it's due to the underwear I wear or not, but they seem quite popular. Might give a pair of these a try: Exofficio boxer briefs.

What's your laundry situation going to be? 6 pairs of socks is overkill if you get nice wool socks (smartwool, darn tough, etc).

Here's my list for the 300 miles I did last summer. Once you're over about 50 miles, 300 might as well be 3000 when it comes to gear. You obviously won't need a bear canister so that'd drop >2 lbs off your pack weight.

Where are you located and what's your budget?

Thanks, I'll check out of the briefs. That's been the only thing that's held me back, and I agree, six pairs might be overkill if I'm able to do laundry. Also, that's a great list and I appreciate you linking it.

Levitate posted:

Yes but it depends on the terrain and fitness of the person. 20 miles per day is usually a long day for a lot of people who aren't just doing straight up fast packing

It's probably a bit ambitious over 800 miles unless you're used to that pace already and planned around it

It's possible that it might be a bit of a tall order, but I've done similar distance per day, although that was only for 150 miles over the course of a week. It's just something that I'm trying to see if I can do, and it hits quite a few really old temples; it beats finding another place to live over the summer and paying rent.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm definitely not a legit backpacker / hiker, but 25 miles per day sounds like am insane pace. Do people really hike at that?

Some of the hikes I've been on were really just weighted runs; we'd do 12 miles over hills in 2 hours + or - a few minutes, dry weight 45 pounds with 4 quarts of water. Granted, they were runs. Actually, at a 3 mph pace with 20 lbs, 25 miles is definitely doable. The biggest issue I'd run into in the past was chafing, and bodyglide took care of almost all of that. The only downside is that it stinks and I'm not sure if I want to carry two months worth of it.

NonNCO fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 8, 2015

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

NonNCO posted:

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

This stuff rules.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015

Thanks, I'm going to bring some along.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really really fast for most people, especially if there's any kind of elevation gain.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
25 mile days usually mean hiking from sunrise to sunset with a few breaks spaced throughout the day. I personally wouldn't enjoy that for 800 miles unless completing the trek is the primary goal as opposed to seeing and experiencing things along the way.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Saint Fu posted:

25 mile days usually mean hiking from sunrise to sunset with a few breaks spaced throughout the day. I personally wouldn't enjoy that for 800 miles unless completing the trek is the primary goal as opposed to seeing and experiencing things along the way.

25 miles at 3 mph comes out to ~8.5 hours per day of hiking, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Get going by 8am, hike till noon, take a lunch break for half an hour, hike till 5pm. You could add in four 15-minute stops along the way and you'd only have to hike till 6pm. That leaves you plenty of light to enjoy the morning and evening hours. The trick with doing long distances is always just putting in the time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

depending on your fitness and the altitude changes it can be hard to average 3mph in some places. Just depends.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

It is so close to Gold Bond, it might be the same stuff, just more expensive.

Honestly I would do an add for GB if they asked, that stuff is the only thing that keeps me going some days.

Edit: Strong opinions about ball powder itt.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

25 mi/day sounds really ambitious to me, esp for that long of a trip. Do you have a contingency plan for if a few days in you decide "this sucks, i wanna slow down"?

Also seriously what did you mean by you want to "buy a civilian"? Is that some word for backpack I've never heard?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

alnilam posted:

Also seriously what did you mean by you want to "buy a civilian"? Is that some word for backpack I've never heard?

A civilian backpack. As opposed to a surplus ALICE pack or a standard-issue MOLLE pack. The guy is pretty obviously an American military veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah yes. Everyone knows there's two types of military backpacks and only one civilian.