Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Glad to see my boss didn't learn his lesson. Taking a long rear end breakfast after we got reamed out yesterday for doing the same thing.

It's like you work with Rhyno's friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've been shopping around for a fun weekend car, settling on a Mustang.... until last night when I found a heavily optioned, 2 year old 500 abarth manual w/ 22k at a Fiat dealer for $16,500, and negotiated down to $15,000. It was a stupid amount of fun to drive.

Tell me to buy it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Glad to see my boss didn't learn his lesson. Taking a long rear end breakfast after we got reamed out yesterday for doing the same thing.

Jesus dude, reading your posts about work makes my job seem like a walk in the park, thank you. I may not make a ton of money but I'll take the tradeoff all day long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

It's like you work with Rhyno's friends.

Hey I told all those guys to get hosed months ago!

Oh an the girl with the nice butt? Found out she's loving 18 years old. God drat am I a creepy old gently caress.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
18 years old is like peak butt age I don't see what the problem is.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Had a gut ultrasound this morning, got to see my kidneys, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, who knows what else.

The nice lady says everything looks OK so no chestbursters or anything, so now on to the gastroenterologist on Monday to see what the hell keeps giving me terrible acid reflux and stuff.

Anybody know anything about Clonzepam? It's something for anxiety/panic disorders and doubles as a muscle relaxant. I was prescribed it to help me sleep. I decided that instead of the evening, yesterday I'd take my half-dose in the late morning, and I felt great all day. Does that mean I have high anxiety and that medically lowering it makes me OK?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 8, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I've put my 2 weeks in at West Marine. Last day is the 22nd. I made a 4k sale yesterday so its not like they're going to fire me. Currently listening to hellacopters, not taking calls, and cracking my first beer in preparation for sloughing off around 5 in order to get to a buddy's wedding.

Happy Friday.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I accepted an offer with another company yesterday. Only 6 months with my current company after 6 years and 8 years respectively at my previous 2. This place was a nightmare, and luckily the owner is known throughout the industry as a bastard, so burning this bridge won't affect my career. The recruiter that got me this job didn't have a clause that I have to work here for at least 12 months, and he got me the new job too. $60,000 in his pocket in 6 months thanks to me... the guy really owes me a beer.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Taco Box posted:

Wait, you guys have a nice system that you celebrate and everything and they're trying to privatize it? WTF is wrong with this planet? I live in the US and this healthcare system is a clusterfuck and pretty much a reflection on the growing wealth gap. If you can afford it, it's the best in the world. If not, FYGM, peasant.

Just FYI the reason our health care "if you can afford it" is the best in the world is because it's privatized. Part of the huge health care cost we bear is funneled back into research and development (either by government orgs or private companies). 40% (around 1200) medical research and biology articles published in 2009 in a selection of over 18,000 journals were by US doctors. In fact, the US's output was 6 times higher than the next country down, Great Britain.

I could go on regarding research spending of US vs. other countries and # of significant medical advances but TBH I don't wanna take the time to transplant the data sources.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Sigma X posted:

Just FYI the reason our health care "if you can afford it" is the best in the world is because it's privatized. Part of the huge health care cost we bear is funneled back into research and development (either by government orgs or private companies). 40% (around 1200) medical research and biology articles published in 2009 in a selection of over 18,000 journals were by US doctors. In fact, the US's output was 6 times higher than the next country down, Great Britain.

I could go on regarding research spending of US vs. other countries and # of significant medical advances but TBH I don't wanna take the time to transplant the data sources.

This is where things get muddy. Just because the US is privatized, does not mean the higher research/publication output is not a result of public funding though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

This is where things get muddy. Just because the US is privatized, does not mean the higher research/publication output is not a result of public funding though.

Yeah, a lot of private research still gets funded by government grants.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sigma X posted:

This is pretty loving wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh great, time to unsubscribe.

See you guys in June I guess, I'll be working on cars instead of turning this thread into D&D-lite.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: n/m

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Found a big stray doofy lab the other day. Kept him at the house for a few days while looking at lost/found ads. Gave up, had a free moment and took him to the vet to check for a chip and WOOHOO! he's got a chip.

Called the owners, met them, passed him to them and their kids, everybody happy and crying.

Now my dog is in a funk because apparently they had some pretty good parties while we were at work/school. Mostly I found dog hair on everything.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
A very friendly cat just showed up in the back yard.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the point trying to be made is that the US "private" health care system is over 50% paid for by the government directly. It is the best because we spend more per capita and overall than any other country by a country mile.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I rescued a bird from my neighbor's dogs

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I got that Navy job in Maine I talked about back in the March thread. Well, I have to pass all their background checks and do some other stuff before it's officially mine but no reason I should have a problem with that. Guess I have to start looking for apartments around Portsmouth NH.

I almost didn't get it because when you apply to the government you're supposed to ignore the one page max length on resumes, just put everything down. Last week someone from HR called me and said I was being removed from consideration because my engineering experience wasn't detailed enough on my resume. This pissed me off because it meant the guy who interviewed me wasn't involved in the final decision which is bullshit. Luckily not even a day later the guy that interviewed me went out of his way to email me and get a detailed list of work related experience and made sure it got to the correct people. He did all this because he personally thought I should be hired and wants to work with me :unsmith:.

I'm pretty excited but I still nervous about the whole thing. I've never gotten an apartment or moved at all (college doesn't count). Plus I don't know anyone in that part of NH/ME. It is still New England and a sub four hour drive from home.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Lightbulb Out posted:

A very friendly cat just showed up in the back yard.

drat, he looks just like my gray tuxedo that passed away suddenly last year :smith: Give that catte some rubs for me.

I'm glad it's Friday, this week was starting to drag rear end.

SFH1989, you'll be in NEAIs backyard, and they're all a bunch of stand up guys

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 8, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CommieGIR posted:

This bird looks particularly grumpy considering you saved him.

SFH1989 posted:

I got that Navy job in Maine I talked about back in the March thread. Well, I have to pass all their background checks and do some other stuff before it's officially mine but no reason I should have a problem with that. Guess I have to start looking for apartments around Portsmouth NH.

I almost didn't get it because when you apply to the government you're supposed to ignore the one page max length on resumes, just put everything down. Last week someone from HR called me and said I was being removed from consideration because my engineering experience wasn't detailed enough on my resume. This pissed me off because it meant the guy who interviewed me wasn't involved in the final decision which is bullshit. Luckily not even a day later the guy that interviewed me went out of his way to email me and get a detailed list of work related experience and made sure it got to the correct people. He did all this because he personally thought I should be hired and wants to work with me :unsmith:.

I'm pretty excited but I still nervous about the whole thing. I've never gotten an apartment or moved at all (college doesn't count). Plus I don't know anyone in that part of NH/ME. It is still New England and a sub four hour drive from home.

Awesome news, sometimes there are decent people out there. Buy this dude a beer/coke/hooker.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

This bird looks particularly grumpy considering you saved him.

It always looks grumpy because its a fuzzy ball of rage after being manhandled by a dog. But its eating and pooping and doing baby bird stuff, so I guess its okay.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

Anybody know anything about Clonzepam? It's something for anxiety/panic disorders and doubles as a muscle relaxant. I was prescribed it to help me sleep. I decided that instead of the evening, yesterday I'd take my half-dose in the late morning, and I felt great all day. Does that mean I have high anxiety and that medically lowering it makes me OK?

Also known as Klonopin. Same class of drugs as Valium, Xanax, etc, just a bit weaker and with less "what memory?".

Don't drink with it, and don't stop taking it without talking to your doctor, the withdrawal can be ugly depending on the dosage you're on.

And yeah, it's possibly anxiety.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

And our boss boss that yelled at us sent us 32 WRONG wireless access points to hang so there's nothing to even do today.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CommieGIR posted:

If he's not flying in a couple of days you'll need to see if there's any bird rescues in the area that might want to help. It'll be a long shot though since it isn't a raptor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If he's not flying in a couple of days you'll need to see if there's any bird rescues in the area that might want to help. It'll be a long shot though since it isn't a raptor.

Already contacted a couple, and they think its a European Starling and don't want to rescue it as its considered a pest species, and I have no idea where the dogs got the bird from, so I can't put it back where it came from.

Thankfully, our vet advised us on caring and feeding it, we're trying to imprint on it with Starling recordings, and hopefully once its ready to fly it'll go off on its own.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMOyURq9os

Oh hey look, another dumb reboot. Can't wait to see this one bomb :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went out to the middle of bumfuck nowhere yesterday with my friend to pull seats out of a Ranger. Managed to bust my knuckle, and one of the passenger side rear bolts took a solid ten minutes of *turn* *single-click* *turn* ratcheting to get it off. Fortunately, the Ranger was at some dude's shop and not a scrap yard. The guy was nice enough to let me borrow his pneumatic impact for the driver's seat.

Then it started raining, and I had to take my friend's truck to buy a tarp while he pulled trim pieces off of the junk truck.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

CommieGIR posted:

Already contacted a couple, and they think its a European Starling and don't want to rescue it as its considered a pest species, and I have no idea where the dogs got the bird from, so I can't put it back where it came from.

Thankfully, our vet advised us on caring and feeding it, we're trying to imprint on it with Starling recordings, and hopefully once its ready to fly it'll go off on its own.

Starlings can mimic human speech!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZYG00_qvE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone know if there's a way to correct amblyopia in adults? I suppose I could start wearing an eyepatch again but I feel like until I get my astigmatism corrected fully it won't do much.

It's weird, I have the same brightness and field of view with my left eye that I have with my right eye. There's just a secondary focus superimposed slightly upwards.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 8, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Crossposting birds pic I posted earlier in a birding thread. Went to the farm store today and these shitheads were waiting for a feeding in the gardening section. They were right next to an open garage door and frequent passers-by.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Re: Birdchat, I don't understand how anyone could not love Starlings.

They're gorgeous birds. We have a family that has a nest built in the gutters over our shop at work. Always love seeing them when I come in during the mornings :3:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I took off the masking tape and re-attached most of the lights & chrome on the Midget yesterday. It's looking really loving good, hoping to get the rest of the bits back on tonight, then install the windshield whenever I can get my neighbor to come over and help.

It looks so drat cheery in that bright yellow paint :kimchi:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

CornHolio posted:

It means benzos/benzodiazepines feel hella awesome to take any time of the day. Be very careful with it - they're addictive as gently caress especially if you're prone to anxiety normally. Yes, they can help with that but personally I'd stay away unless really, really needed ie "I have to give a presentation to the whole company and am terrified of public speaking"

If your doc is script happy and you take them consistently for a couple of years and try to go off, well... you can Google "benzo withdrawals" for fun research.

I ain't a doc or trying to scare you, but they're a powerful thing and I personally think they get handed out too easily to unsuspecting people.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I volunteered for a temporary position at work and found out today that I didn't get it. I have to go to a meeting later and I think it'll be too discuss about who did get that position and how we'll manage the changes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

It means benzos/benzodiazepines feel hella awesome to take any time of the day. Be very careful with it - they're addictive as gently caress especially if you're prone to anxiety normally. Yes, they can help with that but personally I'd stay away unless really, really needed ie "I have to give a presentation to the whole company and am terrified of public speaking"

If your doc is script happy and you take them consistently for a couple of years and try to go off, well... you can Google "benzo withdrawals" for fun research.

I ain't a doc or trying to scare you, but they're a powerful thing and I personally think they get handed out too easily to unsuspecting people.

I heard they were addictive, and that's why I'm taking half-doses. My prescription is for a whole dose. I think they're like .5mg pills so it's tiny. I almost wonder if the effect they're having is strictly placebo, actually.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Awesome news, sometimes there are decent people out there. Buy this dude a beer/coke/hooker.

He seemed pretty cool when I talked to him and I guess I was right.

Can't wait to get "Live free or die" license plates.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

T1g4h posted:

Re: Birdchat, I don't understand how anyone could not love Starlings.

They're gorgeous birds. We have a family that has a nest built in the gutters over our shop at work. Always love seeing them when I come in during the mornings :3:

Their invasive, damaging to different crops and not even native to the Americas.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Their invasive, damaging to different crops and not even native to the Americas.

But they're so pretty :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

T1g4h posted:

But they're so pretty :allears:

That I'll give you. They are very :3:

Still plenty of people that would go back in time and punch Eugene Schieffelin right in his gob though.

• Locked thread