Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

A store near me has a Kreo Starship Enterprise for $25. It looks like a fairly involved build which is what I'm craving, and apparently Kreo is pretty decent. Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

^^Thanks!

Edit: I've never used brick link but it seems really cool. Do minimum purchases apply to that specific seller or the site in general? Like, I need to a $2 minimum to buy those things but can't find more than .37c worth. is there any way to just look at a list of the sellers other stuff and add some parts that look like I could use?

Minimum purchases are set per-store.
Say you search for a store here. US-only stores. Top one has the piece for $.08, minimum buy of $1. If you click on the store name (Epicbricks), it will take you to that particular piece on their storefront. You can browse the rest of their items from the left pane. Add pieces to your cart until you hit the minimum, then you can check out.

Bricklink is really powerful, but the interface is archaic as hell and it's difficult to get the hang of. You can actually take a vintage set, Part it out, add it to your wishlist, then search for that wishlist by store with unique lots, and build the set from loose pieces. Sometimes it'll be cheaper than the set itself, and you can substitute common pieces for uncommon ones that may drive up the cost of the original set (like, say, for the earlier modular buildings).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If this thread were to buy any of the current sub-$100 Star Wars sets, what would it be? I haven't bought any Lego since The Milano last September.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If this thread were to buy any of the current sub-$100 Star Wars sets, what would it be? I haven't bought any Lego since The Milano last September.

75081 T-16 Skyhopper was a cool build and is larger than I expected

Man another high profile sealed set in which I have to order a replacement part because somehow they didn't put enough in the bag :(
This time I had to cannibalize a 4211536 from my Exo Suit in order to continue building this UCS Tie Fighter.
Last time i had to take a gear from another technic set :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
AT-AP for a cool walker type thing. Cantina if you want a playset, some iconic minifigs and Luke's landspeeder. For spaceship right now it's kind of ehhh. TIE Advanced Prototype maybe?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snowspeeder and AT-AT are both good too. I also really like the AT-DP even though it's from some cartoon. Probably would be my favorite walker if it had the nostalgia factor.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 8, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Snowspeeder and AT-AT are both good too. I also really like the AT-DP even though it's from some cartoon. Probably would be my favorite walker if it had the nostalgia factor.

What if I told you almost everything from Rebels is aping McQuarrie art? Even the color palette they are using is McQuarrie inspired.

Also, it's a pretty fun series.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I really like the TIE Advanced Prototype from Rebels set as well. It's very, very sexy looking and has completely destroyed my desire to pick up a UCS TIE as it's much more manageable in size, very swooshable, and comes with more minifigs for a fraction of the price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carteret posted:

What if I told you almost everything from Rebels is aping McQuarrie art? Even the color palette they are using is McQuarrie inspired.

That actually makes me feel even better about liking the design so much. I actually assumed they were aping Robotech. It looks like one of those pods had a baby with an at-st.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alabaster White posted:

A store near me has a Kreo Starship Enterprise for $25. It looks like a fairly involved build which is what I'm craving, and apparently Kreo is pretty decent. Is it worth it?

The brick quality of Kreo itself is really good. Strong, good clutch, etc, but they really don't have the designers at Hasbro that Lego have. The models are very 'bricky' still.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The brick quality of Kreo itself is really good. Strong, good clutch, etc, but they really don't have the designers at Hasbro that Lego have. The models are very 'bricky' still.

Oof, I got a good look at the inside and it's just... nothing. A Lego set would have like, cool internals with seats and control pads instead of just being hollow. Also the "kreons" are fairly terrifying and don't mesh at ALL with Lego minifigures, so I think I'll pass. I'm not exactly hard up for pieces.

Speaking of designers, I'm so jealous of the teams who get to design all these sets with their presumably infinite supply of pieces. Hell, I'm jealous of the people who get to put together the display models at the stores. All my MOC ideas are way too grandiose to accomplish with my sets (like a 100% recreation of Sen's Fortress), even though I have a shitload. What's a good place to start for something smaller and sensible?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 8, 2015

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Microscale stuff is probably your best bet. Easy to learn, not a high parts investment(unless you greeble the poo poo out of stuff)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

AzMiLion posted:

Microscale stuff is probably your best bet. Easy to learn, not a high parts investment(unless you greeble the poo poo out of stuff)

What? Like almost all your stuff? :v:

But yeah microscale is a great setting point.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

What? Like almost all your stuff? :v:

But yeah microscale is a great setting point.

120 ish pieces is perfectly acceptapble for a robot the size of a cigaret pack.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Alabaster White posted:

Oof, I got a good look at the inside and it's just... nothing. A Lego set would have like, cool internals with seats and control pads instead of just being hollow. Also the "kreons" are fairly terrifying and don't mesh at ALL with Lego minifigures, so I think I'll pass. I'm not exactly hard up for pieces.

Kreo, at least back when the Star Trek stuff was coming out, was the second best "Lego" there was.

Kreons are fun, they're a lego Mini-fig, but designed by a person that has touched an action figure.

If that Enterprise is the one I'm thinking it is, for $25 it's worth it to pick it up just to get a feel for a Lego Brick that isn't lego. Plus it has a few of the Kreo Light Bricks you can use for MOCs, also they are ungodly bright.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alabaster White posted:

Is it this one?

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/05/topless_toy_chest_building_the_kre-o_enterprise.php

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

All my MOC ideas are way too grandiose to accomplish with my sets (like a 100% recreation of Sen's Fortress), even though I have a shitload. What's a good place to start for something smaller and sensible?

I'm going to suggest you just get a small loan and do sens fortress cause I want to see that.

Good god could you imagine 100% recreation of the entire dark souls Map in Lego? poo poo would be glorious.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anora posted:

Kreo, at least back when the Star Trek stuff was coming out, was the second best "Lego" there was.

Kreons are fun, they're a lego Mini-fig, but designed by a person that has touched an action figure.

If that Enterprise is the one I'm thinking it is, for $25 it's worth it to pick it up just to get a feel for a Lego Brick that isn't lego. Plus it has a few of the Kreo Light Bricks you can use for MOCs, also they are ungodly bright.

Yeah, it's that one. It's been sitting in the freezer aisle of my local grocery store (????) for months now. I should mention that it's $25 CAD, so it's probably an even better deal than USD. I might go try it out. At least I can always salvage parts/sell it if I don't end up liking it.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm going to suggest you just get a small loan and do sens fortress cause I want to see that.

Good god could you imagine 100% recreation of the entire dark souls Map in Lego? poo poo would be glorious.

I know, right? :allears:
Technic pieces for the swinging axes, those weird two-piece boulders to drop down the chutes, a treasure chest with legs and arms (:haw:), maybe Bionicle parts for the Iron Golem... I've got the whole place laid out in my head and all the logistics, but goddamn it would cost so much money, and I don't have nearly enough space to actually build the drat thing. I'm still trying to pay off my credit card from all the regular Lego I've bought.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Carteret posted:

My thought was that they intended to make their designs a stepping stone between Revenge and New Hope, but it turns out they're really just going with McQuarrie designs. Vader's armor in Season 2 is straight from his artwork, despite being (nearly) identical in both trilogies.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

gently caress UCS star wars. :v:

I want more mega detailed classic cars in the vein of the bus or mini. A proper remake of the beetle would be rad too.

They did a Beetle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

They did a Beetle.

I know, I said a "proper remake". The beetle lego put out is an interesting model in its own way but the quality is nowhere near what the bus and mini have.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alright, I took the plunge and got the Kreo USS Enterprise. First impressions: the part that connects the nacelles to the disc-shaped portion of the ship is one massive piece that twists(??), while the base of the disc portion is another custom molded piece. Unfortunately the light functions are built into the gargantuan chassis part, unlike Lego's light bricks, so I can't really do anything about it. Lots and lots of custom-molded pieces, unfortunately. At least some of them are custom-printed, although there are still some stickers.
The Kreon figures are alright; they well built and have articulation, but their more realistic style doesn't really work with the medium of 'little plastic man'. Lego still has the better minifigures, I'm afraid. I also assume that this set is at least partially based on the 2009 film, because the face prints definitely resemble that cast over than the original series.

I'd have dug into it and built it already, but I noticed something terrifying that stopped me: the bags aren't numbered like Lego. This set is over 400 pieces, and it expects you to dump them all in a big pile and sift through them. The instruction booklet helpfully suggests that you sort them by color, which would be nice if the set wasn't 90% white pieces. Thanks, Hasbro.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Try the UCS Imperial Shuttle: 2.5k all white pieces in unnumbered bags.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Try the UCS Imperial Shuttle: 2.5k all white pieces in unnumbered bags.

God I'm glad they brought about the numbered bags. Anything above 200 pieces should probably have them.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Alabaster White posted:

God I'm glad they brought about the numbered bags. Anything above 200 pieces should probably have them.

My reaction to opening the VW Camper Van was "they MAKE sets without numbered bags?!" followed by crying for the next few days while I put it all together. All white and red.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alabaster White posted:

Thanks, Hasbro.

Thasbro.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Actually you can blame Lego for that one:
http://www.google.com/patents/US6554675

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Actually you can blame Lego for that one:
http://www.google.com/patents/US6554675

How can you patent sorting things into bags? Reading that patent I don't see any technical invention that allows easier bag sorting from a manufacturing standpoint.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

kefkafloyd posted:

How can you patent sorting things into bags? Reading that patent I don't see any technical invention that allows easier bag sorting from a manufacturing standpoint.

U.S. patent law recognizes methods/processes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Attempting to sort my old lego, please send help. (I have a whole nother box like the purple one to go through after)

I had/inherited a whole lot more sets then I remembered.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd come help but those couch cushions are giving me back pain just looking at them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Attempting to sort my old lego, please send help. (I have a whole nother box like the purple one to go through after)

I had/inherited a whole lot more sets then I remembered.

I'm doing the same with a massive tub of tiny detail pieces right now and all I can say is do it in half hour chunks for your own sanity.It'll be done when it's done.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

Bless you, The_Doctor.

By the way, have people seen the rumors regarding a Portal Lego Dimensions level pack? If the fuzzy boxart and leaked Walmart listings are correct, then it would seem like Lego Ideas is testing the waters for potential licenses.

riversarl fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2015

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
We had been saving up money to take a trip to Legoland California again, when my son's school offered tickets at a super deep discount for a 'field trip day'. Knowing I can't get anywhere on time any more with 3 kids, I decided to just take a peek at LegoLand Hotel's website just to see how much it would be to stay the night Since I was able to book it 2 weeks in advance and it's an off day, in off season we only paid $160 for the night. Room rates typically go between $300-500 a night during peak summer/peak days. It did include free breakfast and free parking, and the kids (4 & 6) have been bugging me about it since last time we went to Lego Land over a year ago. You do get to get into the park a half hour early as well. We stayed on a Wednesday night, and I was hoping the hotel wouldn't be very crowded, but it was. They did have some fun events for the kids in the evening. Dinner at the Bricks Family Restaurant was pretty terrible, especially at $22 Adult/$10 kids. Had I had it to do over again I would just have gotten sandwiches at the little cafe in the hotel instead. Breakfast however was super delicious, I stuffed myself silly. While we had a really great time, I would never spend more than $200 a night here.

Legoland was totally awesome as usual. It was overcast with chance of rain, so the park was mostly empty. Most rides had no lines, or very little wait. I finally got to ride Sky Cruiser because the line was 10 minutes long. Last time we were here was during spring break week, and it was super crowded, the line for Sky Cruiser was 2 hours LOL.

Now I was very disappointed though in the 'pick a brick' store where you can buy Lego by weight. Last year the had 2 full walls of bins full of bricks. However this time the shorter wall has been replaced with shelving for sets. The other wall had several empty bins, and several bins were duplicate parts. Nothing I would even consider 'slightly special'. Mostly just your standard 2x2 and 2x8 bricks in different colors and a few studs/1x1s in a few colors. They had doors with no frames, and the little cabinet doors with no cabinets. At those prices you are better off just buying a Creative Box. It makes me wonder if they are trying to do away with buying them by the pound? I wasn't expecting any super rare or special pieces...but when you're used to the pick a brick walls at a Lego Store, you sort of have expectations based on past experiences, and this was a complete embarrassment. I did try talking to a store clerk, but she was lost when I was trying to describe a piece to her (1x1 square with the round hole on the side), she said she had never seen them before. I told her they were in almost every set you build a little car with because they use them for sticking on the side mirrors. Then she tried to upsell me and get me to try and buy some more car sets. I know Legoland isn't owned by Lego Group, so I don't really know how far I would get with complaining about it to them.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Finished the Simpson's minifigure set today. Feels good man.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm doing the same with a massive tub of tiny detail pieces right now and all I can say is do it in half hour chunks for your own sanity.It'll be done when it's done.

Yeah, so far I've just been dividing into major groups, plates, bricks, technic, slopes, wheels, weird rear end parts/sort it later, and lovely megablocks banishment zone. Already realizing I probably need more boxes, and not looking forward to sorting out the little detail parts.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

anotherblownsave posted:

Finished the Simpson's minifigure set today. Feels good man.

Argh, still waiting for my Target to put them out.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I love the AT-DP set. This is the first Star Wars lego I've owned since the old Naboo starfighter in 1999 as a kid (7141 I think). Which wasn't exactly the best set.

The AT-DP looks awesome, comes with a pretty cool selection of minifigs and feels like it could be part of the OT rather than Rebels (I know it's based on old concept art).
My only let-down with it is that while the legs technically have a single point of articulation, you can't actually move either of them without making the model lose all stability. But as it's just going on my shelf I'm totally happy with it.

Used some spare train track as an improvised display solution for all my new empire guys since I have no spare bricks or plates right now. Some of them have joined the cause from my gf's 2014 advent calendar.

Haven't actually seen Rebels yet but I'm working my way through Clone Wars for the first time at the moment and having a pretty good time of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^Yeah the AT-DP is really great. I had this brief tinge of regret when I bought it, but once it was all assembled I ended up loving it.

Finished up that little mech and took some better photos of it. I'm really happy with how it came out and it's very sturdy and playable, so I think I'm gonna throw it on the ideas site and see if anyone bites. :awesomelon:

IMG_1522 by ]Nihilsmaw, on Flickr

IMG_1518 by ]Nihilsmaw, on Flickr

IMG_1520 by ]Nihilsmaw, on Flickr

IMG_1525 by ]Nihilsmaw, on Flickr

IMG_1528 by Nihilsmaw, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Got my vote, that's cool as gently caress.