Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Astro Nut posted:

That or Aiden runs a vigilante twitter feed and updates on every crook he finds.

look at how he whips out his phone right after beating a dude down, he's gotta be taking a pic and posting it on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Personally I think they changed it because they realized being an ex-husband with kids would have required Aiden to have known the touch of a woman (enough times to have had TWO kids even) and realized that stretched plausibility too far. So, y'know, good call there.

Honestly, it still would have worked. The death of his daughter turning him into the antisocial moron we have now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nyagato posted:

They probably changed it to uncle Aiden so that his sister could do the big brother pun.

My guess is so they could have Aiden stay a creepy loner without adding "deadbeat dad" to his list of faults.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Hey, he pays his child support.

With the money he steals.

From his ex-wife's glove compartment.

Okay maybe making him an uncle was a better idea.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

dreezy posted:

Hey, he pays his child support.

With the money he steals.

From his ex-wife's glove compartment.

Okay maybe making him an uncle was a better idea.

There's really no way to make him redeemable and watching the game/script try is loving amazing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
As a weird uncle myself, or rather "the funny uncle" as my niece calls me, I feel very insulted by this game. I have way better fashion sense despite having less hair on my head than Aiden does and I never encounter invisible walls stopping me from driving small vehicles into narrow backyard regions :colbert: also why the gently caress are all the games lately just unable to get the name Aiden right in any concept?

Also um...wow lady how the gently caress did you make tickling sound like I had to go fix the printer, holy gently caress I do not care about this party can we just go to the ballpit or something like normal people?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ubisoft likes its animes, so they made Aiden the onii-chan with the kawaii imouto.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

FinalGamer posted:

Also um...wow lady how the gently caress did you make tickling sound like I had to go fix the printer, holy gently caress I do not care about this party can we just go to the ballpit or something like normal people?
I want to see the ball pit physics react to a motorcycle crashing into it, please let there be more physics objects later on.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
This is probably the only time I'll ever mention it in my own threads, but part of my job is running streams over at Volition. We'll be doing one in about 20 minutes over here where we play Gang Beasts.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Chip Cheezum posted:

This is probably the only time I'll ever mention it in my own threads, but part of my job is running streams over at Volition. We'll be doing one in about 20 minutes over here where we play Gang Beasts.

Unless I'm not allowed to ask for some odd NDA type reason, did your LP's/etc serve to buffer your resume/as an additional kind of portfolio?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chip Cheezum posted:

I am completely okay with this idea and really hope I'm home from work in time!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

chitoryu12 posted:

I am completely okay with this idea and really hope I'm home from work in time!

Volition does repost their streams to their Youtube channel. If you check it out now you can meet your new best friends, Distant Human and Skinballs.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

"HERE COMES UNCLE VASH THE STAMPEDE" made me loving lose it.

Bearpigman
Feb 19, 2013

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside"

Had to redesign the logo after that update

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I could absolutely imagine two insurance claims agents chasing Aiden across Chicago as he causes property damage and hurts folks.

I'm not so sure they would be super sympathetic to his cause but they sure as hell would be written better.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

pkfan2004 posted:

I could absolutely imagine two insurance claims agents chasing Aiden across Chicago as he causes property damage and hurts folks.

I'm not so sure they would be super sympathetic to his cause but they sure as hell would be written better.

It would probably be a really good buddy cop co-op game.

Aiden is the villain, a master hacker who went mad after his niece died because of his own actions.

The two agents were the best in the agency, but because of Aiden's actions, they now have to hunt him down and bring him to justice before the company runs out of money from all the insurance payouts. Along the way, they meet a massive amount of Chicago's most wanted, and discover the true meaning of teamwork.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

You can't blame yourself for that phone creeper dying, I think a car falling on somebody's head counts as an "Act of God".

e: Also what was with that non-octagonal stop sign? There was like a weird bottom corner sticking out that no stop sign has ever had.
Wasn't that just it being damaged when it got knocked down?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

chitoryu12 posted:

It recognizes him as a person, it just comes up with an error when trying to identify him because it just sees a blur of pixels. It can still identify that a human is standing there for it to try and process. Which means that theoretically, Aiden would be perfectly trackable by a smart user (or cTOS program) following whatever person registers on the cameras as "ERROR".

I remember reading about a real-life example of that, although I have no citation for it because I read it in some trivia book ages ago: a thief went through a very arduous process of removing his fingerprints, only to have it completely backfire because it meant he was the only person in the city without fingerprints.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Ted_Haggard posted:

Unless I'm not allowed to ask for some odd NDA type reason, did your LP's/etc serve to buffer your resume/as an additional kind of portfolio?

He talks about it on some of the streams he did post Duck Dynasty and he said that they did check out some of his stuff including the Hank the Chog video.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

pkfan2004 posted:

The soundtrack would sure as hell be better.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I know it's been said a lot, but Aiden is possibly the single most unappealing protagonist I've ever seen in this particular genre of game. And the thing is, it would've been so easy to MAKE him compelling, if not pleasant or likeable, if they'd just gone more whole-hog with him being a loving nutcase and made his failings as a person the crux of the plot instead of something it continually excuses with increasingly bullshit justifications.

The problem as I see it is the sharp disconnect between what the game REWARDS and what the game PENALIZES: it is literally, mechanically better to let a victim get beaten senseless or shot to death than it is to prevent a crime from occuring, because you still get a reward if you catch the criminal after they do the deed, but you get jack diddly squat if the crime doesn't occur. You are mechanically encouraged to be a creepy, freakish voyeur who allows bad things to happen to people so you can swoop in once the deed is done and 'protect them' to get benefits and social recognition, which is something you can only really describe as sociopathic. There's no diegetic acknowledgement of how completely demented this kind of behavior is, not even a thinly-hung lampshade, and when the only response you get from the game when you cause a twelve-car pileup that kills eight people to stop a crank-caller is 'JUSTIFIABLE FORCE,' it creates a sense of disconnected unreality that only serves to highlight how hopelessly self-serving the 'hero' is.

When you don't actually make an effort to explain the disconnect between player actions, mechanical rewards, and established narrative, it leaves a giant gaping hole in the experience, and you don't have any control over what incubates there. What incubates there in the case of Watch Underscore Dogs is a lingering, steadily-growing sense that Aiden is an insane hobo murderer, and not in any way that's funny or appealing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Also his voice is just the worst and I cannot handle it. Aiden swallowed an entire gravel road before recording. I'd rather deal with high pitched anime pre-teens than Aiden's awful narration any day.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pyroi posted:

Aiden is the villain, a master hacker who went mad after his niece died because of his own actions.

The two agents were the best in the agency, but because of Aiden's actions, they now have to hunt him down and bring him to justice before the company runs out of money from all the insurance payouts. Along the way, they meet a massive amount of Chicago's most wanted, and discover the true meaning of teamwork.

Great Joe posted:

The soundtrack would sure as hell be better.
I'm not gonna lie, what I'm asking for is Modern Day Chicago Trigun where Vash is not the good guy or some kind of pseudo-alien magic man thing and Meryl and Milly are the sole justified protagonists.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Pyroi posted:

Make the two agents actually insurance agents from rival insurance companies working together to deal with Aiden and BAM we've got Watch_Dogs_02:Insurance_of_Death

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Also his voice is just the worst and I cannot handle it. Aiden swallowed an entire gravel road before recording. I'd rather deal with high pitched anime pre-teens than Aiden's awful narration any day.

I kept forgetting to mention this, but yeah. It's really weird, too, because there's a point in the first update when Niki calls him about the party and he talks like a normal person and sounds just fine, but nearly all his other lines are read in this low-rent Christian Bale Batman voice and goddamn it's hard to listen to.

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Aiden is supposed to be the likeable uncle/dad of these kids! Then you steal your sisterwife's car, gently caress up the entire roadway of Chicago to catch a dude who made a call, and are a horrible hacker who caused a massive blackout that probably killed a dozen or so people after torturing a guy! So you are supposed to be sorta like, a redeemable dude but by the time the game wants you to know that you are already a bank robber, torturer, and mass murderer. Opps.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I'm going to play watch dogs again

Because of this thread

Please help

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Agent Interrobang posted:

I know it's been said a lot, but Aiden is possibly the single most unappealing protagonist I've ever seen in this particular genre of game. And the thing is, it would've been so easy to MAKE him compelling, if not pleasant or likeable, if they'd just gone more whole-hog with him being a loving nutcase and made his failings as a person the crux of the plot instead of something it continually excuses with increasingly bullshit justifications.

The problem as I see it is the sharp disconnect between what the game REWARDS and what the game PENALIZES: it is literally, mechanically better to let a victim get beaten senseless or shot to death than it is to prevent a crime from occuring, because you still get a reward if you catch the criminal after they do the deed, but you get jack diddly squat if the crime doesn't occur. You are mechanically encouraged to be a creepy, freakish voyeur who allows bad things to happen to people so you can swoop in once the deed is done and 'protect them' to get benefits and social recognition, which is something you can only really describe as sociopathic. There's no diegetic acknowledgement of how completely demented this kind of behavior is, not even a thinly-hung lampshade, and when the only response you get from the game when you cause a twelve-car pileup that kills eight people to stop a crank-caller is 'JUSTIFIABLE FORCE,' it creates a sense of disconnected unreality that only serves to highlight how hopelessly self-serving the 'hero' is.

When you don't actually make an effort to explain the disconnect between player actions, mechanical rewards, and established narrative, it leaves a giant gaping hole in the experience, and you don't have any control over what incubates there. What incubates there in the case of Watch Underscore Dogs is a lingering, steadily-growing sense that Aiden is an insane hobo murderer, and not in any way that's funny or appealing.

Aiden reminds me of Jack Slate from the Dead to Rights reboot with his :airquote:justice:airquote: being basically a huge crime of itself as well. But I think that was quaint in comparison to this poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This game would make more sense if it took place in Santa Destroy. Aiden would be, what, number 11 on the list?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Taken in isolation, without knowing about the many problems that the game went through in development - especially, in this case, the script revisions that left everything so hollowly inconsistent - Aiden almost works as a character. Not a particularly good one, but at least one with a consistent personality, given a better script.

On the principle of "the best villains believe that they're the heroes", Aiden comes close to almost being a good villain. He's tries to be a big-picture vigilante, letting crimes escalate for the sake of stopping them in progress so his reputation as a brutal justice machine can grow. One person with a broken leg, a hundred extra frightened criminals. To Aiden, this is an acceptable trade. He's not interested in just stopping individual crimes - he's interested in intimidating criminals in general. "Weird Uncle Pretends to be Batman" is a pretty drat accurate assessment of what Aiden thinks he's doing. He thinks that the system of justice is corrupt, slow, and ineffective, and his decision in the face of that is to bypass it.

A few dozen people get hurt when he does, but he causes more damage to the enemy at large. In his assessment of the situations, it's always for the greater good. He's adopted a scorched-earth policy about the lives and well-being of the citizens of Chicago. Aiden sees The Vigilante as a means by which he can circumvent the letter of the law in order to uphold the spirit of the law. Sort of like the version of Kingpin that's in the new Daredevil, someone who believes they're saving the city despite being one of it's worst elements.

Aiden is sure he's doing good, because he sees terrible things happening and nobody stopping them from happening. He buys drinks and clothing completely legitimately, because he doesn't feel like he needs those things to do his Important Vigilante Work. He's operating under an intense cognitive dissonance about his desire for justice and the unfairness of the random destruction he causes, and being an upstanding burger-consuming citizen is one of his ways of ignoring it. "See," he says to himself, "I only act that way when bad people force my hand. I'm a good guy. Sure sometimes people get hurt, but they'd be worse off without me." But then he goes around stealing money from his sister's glovebox and just doesn't think about it, because he can figure out how to justify that to himself, too.

He's trying to do good, but he ends up being a destructive maniac that might've worked as a recurring miniboss "flawed, brutal version of the main character" who's disillusioned with trying to take the high road, than as an actual protagonist.

But that's giving the writers waaaaay too much credit, and the Aiden Pearce that almost exists as a character is still just a crazy shithead.

Given the context of the game being pulled in different directions, there's no way that it was intentional, and that they just missed the mark in implementation. Aiden's clearly just a lovely, inconsistent garbage truck character, a bingo machine of 80% lovely person traits, 20% Weird Uncle.

e: that's way more words than I ever wanted to write about Vash the Stampuncle.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jonad posted:

I'm going to play watch dogs again

Because of this thread

Please help

I'm well ahead of you on this.

Also, at certain points (some it seems random, at other times it's related to missions), Aiden won't generate an error, but will pull up a different identity. I haven't been playing the game long enough to be sure but in the prison and at the auction Aiden's name changes to those fake identities and when I was playing earlier and dicking around with some random poo poo, while looking at Aiden, while he did get pixelated, it pulled up some random ID information instead of saying ERROR ERROR ERROR.

Also, if you don't like trying to gently caress with the vehicle take downs, Focus is amazing for shooting out tires. Chip should do this soon, so you can see how laughable the AI drives with no tires and how rapidly the game just says "gently caress it, crash the car".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gnome7 posted:

At least anime pre-teens sound slightly different at times.

Try and imagine Aiden excited about something. Because for me, the gravel overpowers everything and I don't think he can turn it off.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
That party might be nice, but it's not great. I expect better out of an Event Planner, which our Sister Wife apparently is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Loki_XLII posted:

That party might be nice, but it's not great. I expect better out of an Event Planner, which our Sister Wife apparently is.

I got confused by it. Sisterwife said that Sonephew wasn't talking to anybody after Daughterniece died, and it certainly didn't look like the party was very big, but somehow there were a plurality of kids, enough to be playing Vigilante?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

I got confused by it. Sisterwife said that Sonephew wasn't talking to anybody after Daughterniece died, and it certainly didn't look like the party was very big, but somehow there were a plurality of kids, enough to be playing Vigilante?

How do you play a game if you won't talk to anyone else? Games don't work like that. Especially pretend games.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Why are they having cake after all his classmates have left the party....?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

VoidBurger posted:

Why are they having cake after all his classmates have left the party....?

Probably because everyone heard Aiden coming and go the hell out of there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bobjr posted:

Probably because everyone heard Aiden coming and go the hell out of there.

"Is...is that somebody revving a motorcycle out front?"

*dozens of party guests scramble over the back fence in a desperate attempt to avoid being within fifteen feet of Aiden Pierce*

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

The worst part about the game for me was participating in the lead-up to its release. Speaking on a personal level, I was really intrigued by the potential in the crime-stopping events... obviously before the curtain was pulled back to show Watch_Dogs in an honest light. You can do a lot of interesting stuff with that mechanic alone, assuming that you don't treat it as a YES/NO quest reward like in the game proper. Do you stop a crime as soon as possible, or do you wait? In the game, that's not even a question- you have to wait, or it is seen as a failure because you didn't get to play Batman. But if it allowed players to stop the crime before it escalated and didn't treat that like a mini game-over, there is a fuckton of possible nuance right there.

If you take the responsible approach and intervene immediately (once the magic percentage makes it clear that it's inevitable), to everyone watching the scene unfold... you're just some psychopath who started beating a guy with a baton out of nowhere. You may know the truth of what would have happened, but to those witnessing it, you just assaulted an innocent man. With that in mind, do you hang back and wait for it to become a clear, undeniable threat? Do you actively make the decision to put someone's life at risk just for the sake of appearances?

The whole tech-psychic vigilante angle already assumes that you WILL intervene to stop a crime, so you kinda just have to roll with the basic approval of vigilantism from square one, but what is more important to you as the player and the character? The safety of the people that you want to help either way, or the public's view of you? Are you willing to look like a monster and have the city hate you for it just to save as many people as possible? Or do you want the reputation and feel like a hero, even if it means you have to juggle innocent lives in the process? But the game really has none of that. The victims are irrelevant to Aiden- you can save them, or you can let them die. All that truly matters is whether you get to show some bad guy how awesome you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or they could have given you more options to resolve that sort of scenario than "beat mans with baton".

• Locked thread