Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
EL OH EL

primadonna modders are everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Spookydonut posted:

The logical conclusion is to add wheels to your lander and do horizontal take off.

Didn't somebody build a Munar lander that served as its own gantry with wheels and whatnot using Kerbal Robotics? I think they might have used it in the Kerbal Countdown contest, too.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, how did that turn out?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Parts I would like to see in the game:

-A doodad that helps to right tipped over landers. Native it is just a 1.25m part that can extend teleoscopic poles outward or something.

-Specialized landing legs that 'grip' the surface and resist horizontal motion on the ground.

-Heat resistant tiles that can be placed to protect vulnerable components from heat damage during takeoff or landing.

-A specialized radiator/coolant system that uses coolant. Gets 'consumed' like ablatives do, but unlike them can be stored in tanks and transferred around. Requires an engineer to operate.

-Engineering bays which hold 1 or 2 engineers. These bays enhance the engineers own abilities, reduce power consumption of all onboard systems by a percentage, improve solar panel and RTG efficiency, and store a little bit of every resource type. They'd be great for space stations , mining rigs and/or colonies.

-Articulating wings, and wings that can fold completely into the fuselage part they are a part of.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'd actually love to build a horizontally oriented, wide lander so that it would more easily land on its rear end where it lands, but without fairings its aerodynamic features in launch would be... questionable. I'm thinking something like two lander cans attached side by side. Maybe use the inline cockpit instead?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I killed Jeb. :(

Now Bill gets into all my rockets, I could have sworn I saw a post here say that you could re-order your kerbals in the astronaut complex, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how to do it?

I'm running into the same problem, fellow Jeb assassin!

Does anyone know the best way to get around having bill jump into every rocket?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe some kind of 'sled runner' attachment that would allow you to slide forward? Give it really high impact tolerance?

It would be so much fun to land on minmus, val or eeloo by belly landing and sliding a few kilometers to a stop. Then you could take off by accelerating again and ramping off a hill!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RoverDude posted:

RE the latter - correct, no rocket parts. You want to build rocket X, and it gives you a breakdown of all of the stuff you have to assemble to make it,
How abstract is the stuff? Are we talking "you need x polymers, y metals, and z electronics" or "x of metal A, y of metal B, z of polymer W, and a mark II control panel"?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Splicer posted:

How abstract is the stuff? Are we talking "you need x polymers, y metals, and z electronics" or "x of metal A, y of metal B, z of polymer W, and a mark II control panel"?

Probably more the former than the latter, but TBD

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh for fucks sake.

It was supposed to be just a quick science grab on the Mun. Just chuck Jeb and Bob up there in a completely new designed ship, finance it through some "Submit Science from Space around the Mun" missions and come home with a couple hundred science Points.
Well as it turns out two of the four lander legs were phantomlegs. As in, i could see them on the ship and extend them but when i tried to land on them they just passed through the floor.
The ship survived this landing intact...except for the engine.

So Val had to go up and get the Boys home. Everything was working fine, landed a mere Kilometer away from the crashed ship, transfered everyone over...and im missing about a 100 m/s deltav to get home....
So now i have a ship with full tanks and no engine next to a ship with an engine and no fuel....

Bill? You're up next...

Keep it up, and you'll eventually have your whole crew of kerbonauts on the Mun and no money to hire new ones.
This poo poo right here, is what makles KSP great.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Luneshot posted:

I really wish we had Lagrangian points, even with no other 3-body effects modeled. I know that's not feasible, but I'd love to have a station at Kerbin-Mun L2 or an observation satellite at Kerbin-Sun L1, or Trojan asteroids at L4 and L5.

I just read up about the Lagrangian point (I barely understand the concept so far) and am wondering, why is it not feasible? Is it just current game mechanics preventing it or are there other issues?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dalael posted:

I just read up about the Lagrangian point (I barely understand the concept so far) and am wondering, why is it not feasible? Is it just current game mechanics preventing it or are there other issues?

In KSP you're only ever affected by the gravity of the body that you're currently inside the Sphere of Influence of. You can't have Lagrange Points because you need to be affected by the gravity of multiple bodies for it to work.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you over RCS your ships like me, there's a surprising amount of dV in there. I got greedy biome hopping the other night and left myself about 150dV short of an orbit, but I was able to circularize on RCS and then bring my mother ship down to the lander's orbit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dalael posted:

The game mechanics as designed do not support it. In KSP currently you are only affected by one gravity well at a time (1-body), which is why we have SOI change points where you for instance swap from being affected by Kerbin's gravity to being affected by Mun's gravity.

Lagrange points are points in space where two or more gravity wells cancel eachother out, which is impossible to model in 1-body physics. You could fake it by putting a virtual sphere of influence where the points should be, but it wouldn't be really crappy from a gameplay perspective.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dalael posted:

Lagrange points are caused by the interaction of the gravities of two bodies, e.g. Kerbin and the Mun, on a third body, e.g. a spaceship. However in KSP you're only ever affected by the gravity of the body you are orbiting, so no interaction.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any way to build surface stations without unlocking rover parts? How do you get the different pieces together?

I've never built a surface station before, so I only have a slight idea of what to do, does anyone have a link to a tutorial that shows some techniques?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Icedude posted:

In KSP you're only ever affected by the gravity of the body that you're currently inside the Sphere of Influence of. You can't have Lagrange Points because you need to be affected by the gravity of multiple bodies for it to work.

Collateral Damage posted:

The game mechanics as designed do not support it. In KSP currently you are only affected by one gravity well at a time (1-body), which is why we have SOI change points where you for instance swap from being affected by Kerbin's gravity to being affected by Mun's gravity.

Lagrange points are points in space where two or more gravity wells cancel eachother out, which is impossible to model in 1-body physics. You could fake it by putting a virtual sphere of influence where the points should be, but it wouldn't be really crappy from a gameplay perspective.

Splicer posted:

Lagrange points are caused by the interaction of the gravities of two bodies, e.g. Kerbin and the Mun, on a third body, e.g. a spaceship. However in KSP you're only ever affected by the gravity of the body you are orbiting, so no interaction.

Thanks for the explanation. Is that something the KSP developers have in mind to fix one day or is this something they just can't add at this point? Can they change the 1 body physics?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The problem with production chains is when a given resource only has a single use. It feels unnecessarily grindy. If however X resource can be put forward to make Y different things, that feels more like progression and leads to interesting choices.

Really, as a gameplay mechanic, off-world shipyards should make the game more fun, and take away the grind that is launching disparate ships to later assemble them in orbit with lovely docking ports. It should open a new gameplay dynamic. I think being able to recycle already in-orbit crafts would also be an excellent intermediary mechanic that eventually leads rocket manufacture (and could also create a series of "recover X part in orbit for recycling" contracts).

If setting up long, obnoxious production chains is less rewarding than just making a bigger rocket, what's the point?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Unimpressed posted:

Is there any way to build surface stations without unlocking rover parts? How do you get the different pieces together?

I've never built a surface station before, so I only have a slight idea of what to do, does anyone have a link to a tutorial that shows some techniques?

You'll have to do it in one big single piece, if possible. If you're on minmus, you can try docking parts of the station on top of each other.

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

Dalael posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Is that something the KSP developers have in mind to fix one day or is this something they just can't add at this point? Can they change the 1 body physics?

No. Simulating n-body gravity gets complicated fast and isn't something that is easily time-accelerated. Also, the minor perturbations of other bodies is what causes orbits to decay. My understanding is that the appeal of lagrange points is that they help minimize the need for stationkeeping. With 2-body physics you can just put something in kerbo-stationary orbit and it stays there.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

The new aero model might be a little more difficult at times, but you can still get ridiculous things through the atmosphere. I just got this monstrosity to Minmus so it could land horizontally, and shuttle fuel from the mining operation to orbit. It only took a couple misfires before I got the ascent pinned down and the gimbals dialed in. At least try something before you write off an idea. Plain Jane rockets are boring.

I call it the Elephant Beetle. It doesn't look as phallic when landed.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Are there any mods that let me launch from different planets/moons straight from VAB? Not something like EPL, where you do a bunch of hauling parts to a planet and setting up logistics, but straight up design ship in vab -> click launch button -> menu asks "Launch from where?" -> I blast off from Eve or whatever. I guess I could always hyperedit myself from the KSP launch pad to the surface of wherever, but that sounds a bit time consuming to figure out what coordinates to use.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

RoverDude posted:

Probably more the former than the latter, but TBD

From what I hear of your resource chain idea, it reminds me a lot of Space Engineers. Would you say there's a lot of similarity?

Personally, I love when resource chains, logistics, etc, turn a giant puzzle to solve. I think that with a too-simple resource chain, the only challenge is found in launching and landing big unwieldy parts.

Unimpressed posted:

For bases on low-gravity worlds, you can also assemble it in space with docking ports and then carefully land it as one giant assembly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

RoverDude posted:

That's kinda where I was going for something more interesting. Meaning, not add complexity in the length of the chain, but add complexity on the potential diversity. Tanks are easy as hell to make. A science lab, not so much.

I do get the desire for an Ore->Rockets abstraction, it's just not my thing (it's one of the bits I never liked about EL). But then the plus is you could just use the stock drills and such. A compromise might be that you can get 90% of the stuff from Ore, but there's some margin that you are going to have to ship in. Dunno. Would have to noddle it over.

I'd be 100% onboard an eve type thing where different things costs stuff, though might be hard to do with modded parts? Or do you have some space magic way to figure out what everything needs procedurally?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Realistically is there any point waiting and hoping for a version of KSP that can handle space stations and the like without dying on itself? When the very engine it's built on can't deal with it i mean, and the UNITY people aren't focusing on upgrading that part/can't figure it out afaik.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Not sure if anyone else here uses MechJeb+FAR, but since FAR updated today I figured MechJeb needed an updated MechJebFARExt. Seems to be working alright in the limited testing I've done so far. Still very sensitive to overcontrolled rockets (tweak down control surfaces if you have them).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Dongattack posted:

Realistically is there any point waiting and hoping for a version of KSP that can handle space stations and the like without dying on itself? When the very engine it's built on can't deal with it i mean, and the UNITY people aren't focusing on upgrading that part/can't figure it out afaik.

KSP can handle space stations just fine. The problem with sandbox games like this is that people increase the complexity of their builds until the engine can't handle it, then complain. If the game is optimised for more parts, the process is repeated but now the complaint is that the game can't handle 200 part stations rather than 150 part stations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

junidog posted:

Are there any mods that let me launch from different planets/moons straight from VAB? Not something like EPL, where you do a bunch of hauling parts to a planet and setting up logistics, but straight up design ship in vab -> click launch button -> menu asks "Launch from where?" -> I blast off from Eve or whatever. I guess I could always hyperedit myself from the KSP launch pad to the surface of wherever, but that sounds a bit time consuming to figure out what coordinates to use.

There's Kerbal Konstructs and the various config packs for it like Kerbinside, but they only let you add new launch sites to Kerbin itself, AFAICT, not to other bodies.

Unless and until EPL is updated (or someone writes a replacement for it, a day that cannot come soon enough), your only options are to HyperEdit stuff into place, or to launch the parts from Kerbin and assemble them at their destination using KIS.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Didn't somebody build a Munar lander that served as its own gantry with wheels and whatnot using Kerbal Robotics? I think they might have used it in the Kerbal Countdown contest, too.
That was me! :buddy: I actually managed to launch it with FAR and DRE without fairings, because I wasn't using Proc Fairings yet then and KW's weren't big enough without making the rocket unnecessarily big to match.

http://imgur.com/a/FOViO

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

slogula posted:

No. Simulating n-body gravity gets complicated fast and isn't something that is easily time-accelerated. Also, the minor perturbations of other bodies is what causes orbits to decay. My understanding is that the appeal of lagrange points is that they help minimize the need for stationkeeping. With 2-body physics you can just put something in kerbo-stationary orbit and it stays there.

Orbital decay is also caused by lumpy gravitational fields, because planets and moons are generally not uniform in shape or density.

Would a pseudo-n-body system (planets and moons on rails) have an analytical solution, allowing for easy timewarp?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
While you can't reuse previously launched satellites, I just realized if you have multiple accepted contracts before you launch then the same satellite can hit as many orbits as the delta-v allows. I got two Mun satellite contracts complete with a single satellite and if I had a relatively low equatorial Kerbin contract I could have picked it up on the way as well.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Once you get to the big money contracts all the smaller ones seem pointless.

I just did a big 3 contract (fly by mun, minimus and duna) with a $43,000 rocket and pocketed $555,000.

At that point the parts testing contracts should just go away.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've done a few Munar flybys now, as well as setting up a cool polar probe like halfway between Kerbal and the Mun. Speaking of polar probes, I thought I'd be hot poo poo and, while on a simple tourist orbit mission, also bring along a orbital scanner probe, which I could leave behind in orbit. So after a couple of failed rockets because having two giant scanners sticking out the top of your rocket fucks the aerodynamics a bit awkward, I managed to successfully complete the mission, hooray! I go back to my probe and find out that it needs to be on a polar orbit, not a standard one, gently caress!

Luckily, I'd kind of overfuelled my ship, and the decoupling had thrown it off the equator somehow (or I hosed up the takeoff, I can't recall) so the rocket segment had just enough fuel to change the inclination into a polar orbit, a true victory for Kerbalkind. Next step, scanning the Mun!

Is there a reason why my scanner only gave land data, incidentally? Do I need a different type of scanner for ocean and atmo data?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Regarding off-world launching, I'd like to see something as simple as this:

Spacedock/launchpad parts can construct vessels with mass up to the part's mass, and launching from them costs extra (cost multiplier based on location). That's it. No fiddly resources at all, no mining. It's just all abstracted. I don't see the point of that stuff. What I do see the point of is, once you've demonstrated you can deliver a certain mass somewhere, being able to jump to just having a new, similarly massed craft there.

Once I'm done updating Station Science, I might look into hacking EPL to do this. Looks like it's fully open licensed.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

JB50 posted:

Once you get to the big money contracts all the smaller ones seem pointless.

I just did a big 3 contract (fly by mun, minimus and duna) with a $43,000 rocket and pocketed $555,000.

At that point the parts testing contracts should just go away.

testing contracts are easily the worst part of early career mode if you don't want to exploit things like the different ksp biomes

i'd love it if they required you to do something like build a rocket with X number of parts that reaches a velocity of X m/s instead of just putting a specific part onto a rocket and pressing the spacebar at the right time

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eth0.n posted:

Regarding off-world launching, I'd like to see something as simple as this:

Spacedock/launchpad parts can construct vessels with mass up to the part's mass, and launching from them costs extra (cost multiplier based on location). That's it. No fiddly resources at all, no mining. It's just all abstracted. I don't see the point of that stuff. What I do see the point of is, once you've demonstrated you can deliver a certain mass somewhere, being able to jump to just having a new, similarly massed craft there.

Once I'm done updating Station Science, I might look into hacking EPL to do this. Looks like it's fully open licensed.

Sounds awesome, and a barebones system like that would be a good starting point for anyone who wants to add back in resource mining or other dependencies.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Maybe I just suck at video games but the new aero model just makes ascent too much of a pain in the rear end to be fun. I can get to orbit eventually, most of the time, but I don't want to have to revert to tweak my rocket/ascent profile 5 times before I get to orbit. I can do an ascent just fine in Realism Overhaul too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

stuart scott posted:

Maybe I just suck at video games but the new aero model just makes ascent too much of a pain in the rear end to be fun. I can get to orbit eventually, most of the time, but I don't want to have to revert to tweak my rocket/ascent profile 5 times before I get to orbit. I can do an ascent just fine in Realism Overhaul too.

At what point of your ascent are you having problems, and how fast are you going?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Below 10k, and probably too fast. But I do make an effort to stay below terminal velocity.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How hard are you turning? like if you go above like 5% aoa you're probably turning too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Tip over about 5 degrees right after launch and try to follow surface prograde, pretty much.