Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Narcissus1916 posted:

This week's episode would be a perfect time to delve into how hosed up democratic elections (or the press) are these days.

But instead, he'll probably mention it at the top of the show and then pivot to discussing... con men or faulty mechanics or some other wanky obvious target.

Any hope of the bugle maybe being the place to find Oliver talking about the Uk election?

Yeah it's already out https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle/bugle-292-a-career-defining-election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Narcissus1916 posted:

This week's episode would be a perfect time to delve into how hosed up democratic elections (or the press) are these days.

But instead, he'll probably mention it at the top of the show and then pivot to discussing... con men or faulty mechanics or some other wanky obvious target.

Why? Yes I'm aware that it was a major conservative victory and the UK may withdraw from the EU and that the SNP sweep could lead to Scotland then leaving the UK and joining the EU but who cares and why should we?

Also is there a more obvious topic than how hosed up democratic elections, the press being garbage, and campaign finance are?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IRQ posted:

Also is there a more obvious topic than how hosed up democratic elections, the press being garbage, and campaign finance are?

Any one of those would be better than exposing the evils of... tobacco, lone sharks, and the fashion industry.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yeah if he cared about public safety he would have done a show about packs of sharks instead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Narcissus1916 posted:

Any one of those would be better than exposing the evils of... tobacco, lone sharks, and the fashion industry.

I'd love to hear the premise for a segment about elections that doesn't come off as sour grapes.

"Elections are evil because... the wrong parties win!"
"People are tricked into voting for the candidates whose policies... they agree with!"
"When people are unhappy with the economy, inner city violence and racial tensions flamed by the party in power, they stupidly... vote for change."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

I'd love to hear the premise for a segment about elections that doesn't come off as sour grapes.

"Elections are evil because... the wrong parties win!"
"People are tricked into voting for the candidates whose policies... they agree with!"
"When people are unhappy with the economy, inner city violence and racial tensions flamed by the party in power, they stupidly... vote for change."

It's pretty easy to talk about the problems with elections without politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mky11UJb9AY

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
CGP Grey is good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Yeah if he cared about public safety he would have done a show about packs of sharks instead.

:golfclap:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

For starters there's the fact that one party can get 2.5 million votes and 8 seats while another party can get 3.8 million votes and 1 seat, or one party can get 1.2 million votes and get 1 seat while 1 party can get 1.5 million votes and get 56 seats.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

For starters there's the fact that one party can get 2.5 million votes and 8 seats while another party can get 3.8 million votes and 1 seat, or one party can get 1.2 million votes and get 1 seat while 1 party can get 1.5 million votes and get 56 seats.

I will not have you besmirch the time-honored tradition of gerrymandering and general election fuckery. It's not our fault that everyone is running the old versions of democracy while only Germany and Japan seem to have gotten the most recent system updates.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

EDIT: Never mind. Wrong thread.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

EDIT: Never mind. Wrong thread.

In case you're still lost: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380930

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Somehow the thread decided to unbookmark itself for me and I thought it had been deleted. Weird.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

I will not have you besmirch the time-honored tradition of gerrymandering and general election fuckery. It's not our fault that everyone is running the old versions of democracy while only Germany and Japan seem to have gotten the most recent system updates.

Germany's election system is dog poo poo retarded too. "Oh we recognise the issues with single-seat constituencies so we made half the seats proportional, problem solved" :downs:

It's a tad more complicated than that (especially in regards to the distribution of seats) but isn't exactly a shining beacon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Two houses, lower house representational districts with preferential (instant-runoff) voting, upper house proportional voting.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Two houses, lower house representational districts with preferential (instant-runoff) voting, upper house proportional voting.

American supremacy affirmed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

American supremacy affirmed.

I... huh?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

I... huh?

It's. Irish. Joe.

Seriously man.

He wasn't even TRYING there.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Xoidanor posted:

Germany's election system is dog poo poo retarded too. "Oh we recognise the issues with single-seat constituencies so we made half the seats proportional, problem solved" :downs:

It's a tad more complicated than that (especially in regards to the distribution of seats) but isn't exactly a shining beacon.

MMP owns actually, and leads to parliaments that are totally proportionate to the party vote.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Xoidanor posted:

I don't know if you're German but I am and that's not how our system works. If you are German, please inform yourself about the meaning of Erst- and Zweitstimme before the next election, ta

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Exclamation Marx posted:

MMP owns actually, and leads to parliaments that are totally proportionate to the party vote.

So does party list proportional representation and you don't have to deal with districts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't know if you're German but I am and that's not how our system works. If you are German, please inform yourself about the meaning of Erst- and Zweitstimme before the next election, ta

Was I not clear on that I'm aware that there is more to it than that? :bang:

If I'd levy a critique against the german system it is that its ungodly complicated in the ways it bends over to compensate for the negative effects of single-seat constiuencies, to the level where one might wonder if it hadn't been simpler to forgo them altogether. As for its results, yeah its as fine as any other proportional system.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 10, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

It's. Irish. Joe.

Seriously man.

He wasn't even TRYING there.

Normally he's at least understandable, even if he's totally wrong. There he just confused me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Orange Devil posted:

So does party list proportional representation and you don't have to deal with districts.

Local representatives do important work for their constituents tho

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Holy poo poo we need every agency to have a mascot RIGHT loving NOW

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've seen gifs of that mascot running through explosions but what's the story behind that?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I laughed so hard at that mascot minefield clip, I started weeping and now my whole face hurts.

That was just too amazing and I, too, need a frame of reference for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

axeil posted:

Holy poo poo we need every agency to have a mascot RIGHT loving NOW

they sort of already do this concept in japan.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
really? oliver should do a bit on japanese mascots that would be great

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've seen gifs of that mascot running through explosions but what's the story behind that?

I'm sure no one will be surprised that the answer is "Japanese TV gameshow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDDOk_GECc

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Who are we supposed to be angry at this week?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Man, US labour laws are really lovely. I mean, I kind of already knew that but it's nice to get a reminder every now and then.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

Who are we supposed to be angry at this week?

Republicans.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
That "gently caress the mothers" policy you guys have in the US is really, really pissing me off. And I don't even have to live there.

For comparison, here is how the matter is handled in my country, one of the poorest countries in Europe which was part of Soviet Union a bit more than two decades ago.

1. 18 months paid maternity leave.
2. "Mother's salary", which means you continue to get the same salary as when you were working, paid by the government.
3. If you were not working previously, you get the minimum salary.

Actually it's "parental leave", because fathers can take it too, if they wish (one parent at a time, though).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OhYeah posted:

Actually it's "parental leave", because fathers can take it too, if they wish (one parent at a time, though).

Only one parent at a time? I'm sorry you're forced to live in such a backwards shithole.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OhYeah posted:

That "gently caress the mothers" policy

Actually it's gently caress anyone who isn't rich. I mean really get it right.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

tbh those mothers should be glad they get to go back to work asap so they can work off the $10,000+ medical bills they were sent home with.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

IRQ posted:

Actually it's gently caress anyone who isn't rich. I mean really get it right.

I went to the show's facebook page and read the comments. Now I wish I hadn't. So many people yelling stuff like "WHY SHOULD I WORK TWICE AS MUCH SO THAT SOME oval office MOTHER CAN TAKE TIME OFF???".

Uhm, because her baby

1. Is your future employee, or
2. The future customer of the product of service you are providing, and
3. A future taxpayer that makes sure you still get to use public services in your old age.

How come there are so many people in this otherwise great country that can't see 2 inches past their own nose?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OhYeah posted:

I went to the show's facebook page and read the comments. Now I wish I hadn't. So many people yelling stuff like "WHY SHOULD I WORK TWICE AS MUCH SO THAT SOME oval office MOTHER CAN TAKE TIME OFF???".

This is actually somewhat understandable when you consider how little time off we get in this shithole of a country. If we had reasonable workdays and time off you probably wouldn't see that position expressed so often, but this is ARE CUNTRY so a horrible injury or illness getting you out of work is practically a vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know how Steve Scully can do his job without a bar under the desk.

OhYeah posted:

How come there are so many people in this otherwise great country that can't see 2 inches past their own nose?

• Locked thread