Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You want bleak, watch Threads.

Then take the next day off to recover.

You think that's bad, just look at any thread here! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A little derail, sorry. Going back to the Henry Darger posts from a couple days ago: y'all think there's enough interest for a PYF thread on outsider artists/musicians? Most aren't necessarily scary enough to post in here (some might be unnerving, like Daniel Johnston crashing a plane), but I find some of their stories fascinating as heck. Disclaimer: I have an MA in art therapy, so I probably find outsider art/music more interesting than other folks.

edit: eh, hell, I'll copy Johnston's weird tale, for those of you into plane crashes:

quote:

In 1990, Johnston played at a music festival in Austin, Texas. On the way back to West Virginia on a small, private two-seater plane piloted by his father Bill, Johnston had a manic psychotic episode believing he was Casper the Friendly Ghost and removed the key from the plane's ignition and threw it out of the plane. His father, a former Air Force pilot, managed to successfully crash-land the plane, even though "there was nothing down there but trees". Although the plane was destroyed, Johnston and his father emerged with only minor injuries. As a result of this episode, Johnston was involuntarily committed to a mental hospital.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 13:43 on May 8, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

A little derail, sorry. Going back to the Henry Darger posts from a couple days ago: y'all think there's enough interest for a PYF thread on outsider artists/musicians? Most aren't necessarily scary enough to post in here (some might be unnerving, like Daniel Johnston crashing a plane), but I find some of their stories fascinating as heck. Disclaimer: I have an MA in art therapy, so I probably find outsider art/music more interesting than other folks.

There are currently threads in PYF about your favorite songs that are about cannibalism and for posting photos of things you've bought recently. I think there's plenty of room.

Go for it. It'll make some people happy, and we might learn something, too!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, you'd think planes wouldn't work like a car and that if you take the key out midflight it wouldn't turn the engine off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And why would Casper crash a plane? That seems more like a Woody Woodpecker thing.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Linked from the macro thread of all places, but it turns out Saddam Hussein hired a calligrapher to make a Qu'ran inked from the ol' president's blood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Quran

I mean, that'd be sort of awesome in a horrible way but did you read that link? It's actually Saddam's own blood. Still gross but not supervillain insane. If it was even actually his, or any, blood in the first place.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

You know, you'd think planes wouldn't work like a car and that if you take the key out midflight it wouldn't turn the engine off.

Must've been an Acme Corp plane -- those guys have had a lot of issues with their product designs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

NLJP posted:

I mean, that'd be sort of awesome in a horrible way but did you read that link? It's actually Saddam's own blood. Still gross but not supervillain insane. If it was even actually his, or any, blood in the first place.

I consider the act of paying someone to write a book in your own blood unnerving, and this information is stored on a wikipedia page. Apologies for not posting about serial killers and/or plane crashes.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

NLJP posted:

Did you misread the original post like I initially did, and think "the president" referred to Bush? Saddam was a "president" too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pookel posted:

Did you misread the original post like I initially did, and think "the president" referred to Bush? Saddam was a "president" too.

My initial misreading of it was that it was the blood of the president of Iraq before Saddam, but honestly his own blood is just as creepy. Though Wikipedia seems to think he either lied about the amount of blood or whose blood it was.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Terrible Opinions posted:

My initial misreading of it was that it was the blood of the president of Iraq before Saddam, but honestly his own blood is just as creepy. Though Wikipedia seems to think he either lied about the amount of blood or whose blood it was.

Maybe Saddam was a big KISS fan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_%28comics%29 (jump down to the paragraph about Marvel Comics)

When I was a kid, the nuns at my school autobanned anyone from bringing this comic book in to school.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I wonder if anyone's ever written a Bible in blood. Seems like something some medieval mystic might have done.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I blame this thread and all the plane crash stories. A plane just crashed into interstate 285 today in Atlanta.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I blame this thread and all the plane crash stories. A plane just crashed into interstate 285 today in Atlanta.

Wikipedia link?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jack Gladney posted:

And why would Casper crash a plane? That seems more like a Woody Woodpecker thing.

He wanted his dad to be with him forever...on the other side :unsmigghh:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

pookel posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever written a Bible in blood. Seems like something some medieval mystic might have done.

While not written in blood. I've always found the legend of the Codex Gigas pretty interesting.

quote:

According to one version of a legend that was already recorded in the Middle Ages, the scribe was a monk who broke his monastic vows and was sentenced to be walled up alive. In order to forbear this harsh penalty he promised to create in one single night a book to glorify the monastery forever, including all human knowledge. Near midnight he became sure that he could not complete this task alone, so he made a special prayer, not addressed to God but to the fallen angel Lucifer, asking him to help him finish the book in exchange for his soul. The devil completed the manuscript and the monk added the devil's picture out of gratitude for his aid.[1][16][17] In tests to recreate the work, it is estimated that reproducing only the calligraphy, without the illustrations or embellishments, would have taken 5 years of non-stop writing.[14]

Not all cars operate like this as I found out when a friend of mine removed the ignition tumbler from the steering column of his Caprice Classic while do 60+ down the highway. Scary, unnerving, & hilarious (afterwards).

Dr. Benway has a new favorite as of 17:53 on May 8, 2015

Cloverfx
Mar 21, 2008

No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.

Last Chance posted:

Wikipedia link?

Not Wikipedia, unfortunately- it happened around 10am today.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/plane-crash-at-i-285-at-peachtree-industrial/nmCCn/

Seems like 4 dead- missed everyone on the interstate but clipped a truck.

Cloverfx has a new favorite as of 17:14 on May 8, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dr. Benway posted:

While not written in blood. I've always found the legend of the Codex Gigas pretty interesting.
Well, that led me to a very creepy Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement :nms: Disturbing pic on this page.

quote:

Immurement (from Latin im- "in" and mūrus "wall"; literally "walling in") is a form of imprisonment, usually for life, in which a person is, for example, locked within an enclosed space and all possible exits turned into impassable walls.[1] This includes instances where people have been enclosed in extremely tight confinement, such as within a coffin. When used as a means of execution, the prisoner is simply left to die from starvation or dehydration. This is distinct from being buried alive, in which the victim typically dies of asphyxiation.

In Persia, c. 1900:

quote:

Another sad sight to be seen in the desert sometimes, are brick pillars in which some unfortunate victim is walled up alive...The victim is put into the pillar, which is half built up in readiness; then if the executioner is merciful he will cement quickly up to the face, and death comes speedily. But sometimes a small amount of air is allowed to permeate through the bricks, and in this case the torture is cruel and the agony prolonged. Men bricked up in this way have been heard groaning and calling for water at the end of three days

pookel has a new favorite as of 23:24 on May 8, 2015

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah, I thought the phrase "the ol' president's blood" meant that he used the blood of his predecessor. Which, yeah, would have been some supervillain poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The "written in human blood thing" has led me to look up some interesting wikipedia articles/google searches. For instance:

Anthropodermic bibliopegy or books bind in human flesh (like Evil Dead's Necronomicon)

While we are talking about old creepy books, there is the Malleus Maleficarum which is not bound in human flesh, nor is it written in human blood. Instead it is a very old book about how to deal with pesky witches in 15th century Europe. It goes into some heavy details and is pretty much a creepy book altogether in my opinion.

If you aren't into books that are bind or not bind in Human flesh, nor do you care if such book was written in human blood or not, nor do you care about those pesky medieval witches, you might still like to visit Sedlac Ossuary, a church made up of human bones. An estimated 40,000-70,000 skeletons were used in the interior.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

pookel posted:

Well, that led me to a very creepy Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement

Pretty hosed up picture on the wiki page.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
There's also a bone chapel in Rome, I forget what it's called because I don't speak Italian, but it's a Capuchin monastery. No photos allowed, but they have a lot of monks' skeletons dressed in their habits suspended from walls of bones. It's amazingly cool and complex, but they do kinda rush you through it. There's one at the Franciscan church in Evora, Portugal as well, very intricate but much smaller and they also rush you through. Those of you who are okay with sacrificing size and quality for an in-depth look at a skeleton chapel should visit Faro, Portugal outside of peak tourist season. I rolled up in early June and spent an hour chilling and sketching in this, completely alone except for a nice tortoiseshell cat who clearly lived there, as there were dishes and a little cat house in the courtyard next to it. I could have touched the skulls if I wasn't superstitious and also not a jerk who goes around smearing their hands all over historical relics:

Oh yeah speaking of things written in blood, once I was doing archival research and got a bundle of papers that were SUPPOSED to be nice, simple, un-scary ship's ledgers, and stuck in the middle was a sworn deposition that a guy in 16th-century Peru was who he said he was and not an impostor. The signature was faded almost to nothingness, but there was a very helpful "WRITTEN IN HIS OWN BLOOD" scrawled next to it in ink. That was pretty creepy.

CrotchDropJeans has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 8, 2015

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

MrMidnight posted:

Pretty hosed up picture on the wiki page.

Yeah Jesus Christ. I also like the line "Some ambiguous evidence exists of immurement as a practice of coffin-type confinement in Mongolia" right next to the loving picture of a Mongolian woman confined to a coffin-like crate.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Yeah Jesus Christ. I also like the line "Some ambiguous evidence exists of immurement as a practice of coffin-type confinement in Mongolia" right next to the loving picture of a Mongolian woman confined to a coffin-like crate.

Poor lady managed to get one arm out but she probably killed herself faster due to asphyxiation.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MrMidnight posted:

Poor lady managed to get one arm out but she probably killed herself faster due to asphyxiation.

Despite the morbid nature of it this sounds like a win considering the long drawn out alternative.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, i'm reading Killer Show about the 2003 Station nightclub fire and ugh. Everything that could go wrong did: Sleezy club owners using low quality material and cutting corners, a neighbor complaining about sound so some doors were blocked, a bricked up fire door from decades before, a very narrow front door. And on top of that you have this unfortunate conversation only hours before the fire.

quote:

Interviewed about a stampede that killed 21 people at a Chicago nightclub three days earlier, state Fire Marshal Irving J. Owens says Rhode Island’s fire codes all but eliminate the chance of a catastrophic nightclub fire in the Ocean State. “It’s very remote something like that would happen here. Interviewed about a stampede that killed 21 people at a Chicago nightclub three days earlier, state Fire Marshal Irving J. Owens says Rhode Island’s fire codes all but eliminate the chance of a catastrophic nightclub fire in the Ocean State.

If anyone's curious the nightclub's website is still online

http://web.archive.org/web/20030214163647/http://thestationrocks.com/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pookel posted:

Well, that led me to a very creepy Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immurement :nms: Disturbing pic on this page.

In Persia, c. 1900:

I think the creepiest thing about that were the religious figures who voluntarily did it, leaving just enough room to receive food and water.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think the creepiest thing about that were the religious figures who voluntarily did it, leaving just enough room to receive food and water.

Isn't that just a slightly more extreme version of what monks and nuns were doing anyway?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pookel posted:

Blood makes a really lovely ink.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BattleMaster posted:

Isn't that just a slightly more extreme version of what monks and nuns were doing anyway?
Theoretically, but in practice some people who chose to become immured were doing so to protest the fact that abbeys were gettin rich and failing to live up to their orders. Of course, anchorites weren't exactly fully cut off from society despite being in their little rooms - the sheer number of church edicts reminding people "if you're an anchorite you're supposed to sit there and be quiet, not entertain visitors and teach school and have tea parties through your window" implies that, well, they were entertaining visitors and teaching school and having tea parties through their windows

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I keep wondering about something that seems crass to ask, re: anchorites and the like.

Where did they poop???

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

I keep wondering about something that seems crass to ask, re: anchorites and the like.

Where did they poop???

Like everyone else at the time I'm going to guess "in a pan that they threw out the window"

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

pookel posted:

Where did they poop???

Simple! Become a mellified man, eat honey until even your poop is honey and then die and then become yummy human candy sold on the black market!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I am 100% sure, but also 100% unable to remember the source (it sounds like something Chaucer'd write but I don't think it's from Canterbury), that I've read about a ribald story from some medieval literature which involved an anchorite farting and/or pissing out the slot when someone was praying to them

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

Like everyone else at the time I'm going to guess "in a pan that they threw out the window"
But .... they didn't have windows? I wonder if they really were handing out pans through the food slot. The other option I can think of is that the room would include some sort of hole-in-the-floor pit toilet.

I especially wonder this when they talk about people walled up with only a "tiny" slot for food.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

edit: eh, hell, I'll copy Johnston's weird tale, for those of you into plane crashes:

If only they had an airframe parachute

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Fortunately, Wikipedia's Anchorite article knows exactly what everyone's first question is:

quote:

Anchorites' bodily waste was managed by means of a chamber pot.[10]

Morn
Aug 29, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Here's a interview with the Second Office on the Titanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzqJiowdwhA

His accent's a joy to listen to and his role in the shipwreck is pretty crazy.

He then got swept overboard when the ship went down and made his way to a capsized lifeboat

Not sure how relevant this is to the discussion at hand, but some in the Titanic community have actually gone as far as to suggest or at least infer that he (being the senior surviving officer) may have colluded to toe the company line in his opinions ex post facto. One common argument centers around the fact that several survivors swore the ship broke in half as it was sinking, only to be refuted by various WSL et al personnel. A good example is in Archibald Gracie's book (published posthumously; he died only months after the sinking) where Gracie examines Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic and questions Lightoller on a few events that night. (Gracie was actually near Lightoller when the final plunge started). One of the things Gracie brings up are the many claims the Titanic snapped in half as it sank. Lightoller said he did not think it possible, and said the only weakness would have been in the expansion joints. It's been a while since I read the book, but I think Lightoller basically said he thought people saw the expansion joints and (due to the trauma of the night) let their imaginations run a little wild with fear. In any event, it seemed clear he was dismissing the breakup eyewitnesses entirely as unreliable.

So, according to the theory of some people, he may have been influenced to downplay the weakness in the design and debunk reports regarding it since he was an employee. If you look at survivor's accounts and even testimony before senate and British inquiries, it seems many people saw the ship break (and heard it) as it sank. WSL (if it really took the claims serious in private) obviously would have a good reason not to admit their ships could break in two, since they lost one of the biggest ships they had, had one near duplicate of it in service; and another one on order for a 1915 delivery.

Then there are the claims Ismay (chairman of the WSL) sent out some weird messages; and the usual hotly debated 'mystery' ship that didn't come to the rescue, etc.

Whatever the case, the guy had some big ones to sail his yacht to Dunkirk and back.

Morn has a new favorite as of 02:48 on May 9, 2015

Morn
Aug 29, 2012
OP - If you want something sort of scary and unnerving, check out all the WWII T-2 tankers that broke in half (during service and after the war). Some of them vanished with little trace. It seems the problems with the ships was known during WWII, but they were never withdrawn. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Schenectady

The SS Marine Sulphur Queen was one such tanker, modified postwar to carry ore; it is thought it may have broken in two around 1960. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Marine_Sulphur_Queen

Or the similar pre-WWI colliers which sank without a trace; the Cyclops and it's sister the Nereus and Proteus about 20 years later. Again, probable structural or maintenance issues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nereus_%28AC-10%29

Not sure if there is interest in maritime stuff, but 1961 Texas Tower IV is pretty crazy; the USAF decided to build some little offshore radar stations on the east coast. They proved to have some structural issues. TTIV was apparently built on an unsuitable location, and I guess no one cared or caught it so people died. So one night a big nor'easter comes in and batters the thing. About 30 guys were on it awaiting evac, but the seas were too rough and the rescue boat stood by after TTIV's commanding officer told them he thought they could manage for a few hours. About 15 minutes later the whole thing falls into the ocean taking everyone with it. Engineering failure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Tower_4

now with links!

Morn has a new favorite as of 03:00 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

But .... they didn't have windows? I wonder if they really were handing out pans through the food slot. The other option I can think of is that the room would include some sort of hole-in-the-floor pit toilet.

I especially wonder this when they talk about people walled up with only a "tiny" slot for food.

Most of the actual anchorite dwellings I've seen had windows for light and stuff at least