Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

chumbler posted:

I hope they have some night stages planned, because the place being lit up by bioluminescent squids and fluorescent paint would look so good. Why is Nintendo the only company that seems to remember what both color and art direction are at the same time?

I think that nighttime stages are activated when you got the vote stuff going. In the direct it showed that once the plaza transforms to let you choose wrong or choose #teamcat the regular stages were also suddenly at night and with fireworks going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

bobjr posted:

Kind of sucks this game won't have voice chat, if only to help coordinate your team.

I think the pretty rapid fire nature of the matches made that not such a big deal. Each one was what, 2 minutes a piece? After which you're switching teams and shuffling around and such.

Although when they roll out the "play with friends and shuffle teams and gently caress around" bullshit i'm hoping they patch it in since then it'd actually be useful and not just something people use to annoy the poo poo out of you.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The lack of team communication means that calling your teammates to come to your side at a strategic moment doesn't really work. All you have is a "C'mon" button and it's really not clear to a new player what that even means. If I see it I have no idea if the person is trying to do something rad like bring us all in to pop the Bubbler or if they're just being a jackass and spamming a button.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

bobjr posted:

Kind of sucks this game won't have voice chat, if only to help coordinate your team.
choosing not to put in voice chat was the best decision Nintendo made if they want the game to be in any way kid friendly.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
When did Bloopers become humanoid?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dizz posted:

When did Bloopers become humanoid?

Age 14, apparently.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Rocketlex posted:

Age 14, apparently.

So has Mario been killing babies this whole time?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So only 5 multiplayer maps at launch?

I understand that there will be post launch maps, and I am sold on the game anyway, but I suspect it will take a beating in the reviews for this. Unless the single player is substantial.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rocketlex posted:

Age 14, apparently.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Unlucky7 posted:

I understand that there will be post launch maps, and I am sold on the game anyway, but I suspect it will take a beating in the reviews for this. Unless the single player is substantial.

Previews have made single player seem pretty substantial. It wouldn't be the first shooter to launch with a selection of maps that small either, TF2 launched with 6.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Unlucky7 posted:

Seems like single player will indeed be pretty substantial.

But really, how many maps did TF2 have at launch? I don't remember it being that much more. Eight or so?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

All Frogs posted:

So has Mario been killing babies this whole time?

Yes but also Bloopers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I hope I am not being too down on this game. I just want it to do well :ohdear:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So do Inkay turn into a humanoid at age 14 too and hate Octillery?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

They showed a bunch more future maps in the direct, it looks like they'll be updating it substantially for a while.

Voice chat doesn't really seem necessary if you're checking the map often, although it will be interesting to see some matches between some really coordinated teams.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Seems like single player will indeed be pretty substantial.

But really, how many maps did TF2 have at launch? I don't remember it being that much more. Eight or so?

TF2 launched with six maps.

I'm not too worried about the map count, but it seems odd that there are maps that were shown off long ago, but won't be there at launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They said they'll be releasing more maps for download in the immediate launch window (so before the big August update, I guess?)

They also said that when the game launches they'll be limiting the map choices to one of two maps, with the eligible maps cycling every 4 hours or so, so regardless of which ones people do/don't like, you'll be playing all of 'em at some point.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So when you transform you're just turning back into a baby?

drat it must be tough being a parent in this world, where your baby can move twice as fast as you

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The second demo window should be starting in about 10 minutes or so.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nihilarian posted:

choosing not to put in voice chat was the best decision Nintendo made if they want the game to be in any way kid friendly.

but kids are the one who are doing the cursing usually.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The second demo window should be starting in about 10 minutes or so.

It's up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Taint Reaper posted:

but kids are the one who are doing the cursing usually.

Doesn't change the fact that its less kid friendly with swearing. Its also usually the teens doing it. Nintendo probably wants 5 and 6 year olds to be able to play.

Skill matching could help fix that, Mario kart already has that so it wouldn't be un-nintendo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm playing with the Charger more this time, and I'm really coming to appreciate how to can quickly affect a long horizontal line. Uncharged shots are also useful.

I'm also experiencing some teleporting enemies this time, but I'm also playing against more usernames from Japan, so I guess that's to be expected.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Yeah, keep quitting/switching weapons and it'll start matching you with more people near you as time goes on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm playing with the Charger more this time, and I'm really coming to appreciate how to can quickly affect a long horizontal line. Uncharged shots are also useful.

I'm also experiencing some teleporting enemies this time, but I'm also playing against more usernames from Japan, so I guess that's to be expected.
I'm also playing with the charger more and yeah I'm liking it a lot more the more time I give it. Charged shots make it really easy to dive into enemy territory, and uncharged shots are pretty effective for cleaning up. Also if you go into the options and up the sensitivity a little bit, I think it makes the gyro controls even better.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

homeless snail posted:

I'm also playing with the charger more and yeah I'm liking it a lot more the more time I give it. Charged shots make it really easy to dive into enemy territory, and uncharged shots are pretty effective for cleaning up. Also if you go into the options and up the sensitivity a little bit, I think it makes the gyro controls even better.

The big thing for me is I've worried less about sniping enemies and more about painting in their vicinity, like was suggested earlier. Even if you don't get the kill, you can slow them down for your teammates.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Splat roller sucks butt. That is all.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Damone posted:

It's up.

And down :)

I only played with the charger a couple rounds, couldn't really get it to work. Anyway, the roller is OP and it's not clear why any other weapon should merit consideration after that.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
Splatroller gets way more interesting when you realize it also basically functions as a shotgun. Got some really good close range kills vs other rollers.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Another fun hour. I only used the Charger this time and had a really fun time. Also, I tried it without gyro aim for exactly one round before deciding that was absolutely not going to work.

One of the victories I was part of was 67.4% to 12.9%, which was the most crushing disparity I've seen yet.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

And down :)

I only played with the charger a couple rounds, couldn't really get it to work. Anyway, the roller is OP and it's not clear why any other weapon should merit consideration after that.

I played 12 rounds with the Sub machine paint gun and got 1st every time. Paint rollers are giant targets.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I definitely want to try the roller on a map with many flanking opportunities. After all, that's what it's for besides covering ground.
I also love popping the super behind cover to gently caress up people on high ground.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

One of the victories I was part of was 67.4% to 12.9%, which was the most crushing disparity I've seen yet.

I had a match where we just utterly walked all over a team of 4 Rollers. We had them trapped in their spawn within the first 30 seconds or so and they never got out. Score was like 89% - 5%.

Last match of the hour was a pretty even match, we just pulled that one out 49.4 - 49.2. Makes me kinda wish there was voice chat just for moments like that.

Weapon tiers seem to me to be Splatter Jr. > Roller > Splattershot >>>>>>>>>>> sniper rifle charge thing. Which I'm okay with, because you can tell the poo poo players by the ones who use the sniper. I'm glad there's finally a shooter that's not sniper friendly, because it's the class of cowards and bitches.

Evil Eagle posted:

I played 12 rounds with the Sub machine paint gun and got 1st every time. Paint rollers are giant targets.

Boy, you were carrying one garbage team there.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also, I tried it without gyro aim for exactly one round before deciding that was absolutely not going to work.
Same here. I thought I would hate the gyro aim but it's actually pretty helpful for a game that involves this much interaction with the environment.

I played with a couple of the guns for a few rounds before I tried the roller, and I'm probably never going back. I love that the roller makes a shooter like this accessible to people like me who are pretty crap at shooters but still like to play them every once in a while. Plus, painting! So awesome.

After just a few rounds I started to get really annoyed at people who, after respawning, RAN back to an area to paint instead of swimming through the ink to get there more quickly. Gah.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Evil Eagle posted:

I only got up to 12 kills max :/

Yeah 1:1 with a long hallway is pretty bad. But rolling up behind 2 of them in a firefight is quite nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dastardly posted:

I definitely want to try the roller on a map with many flanking opportunities. After all, that's what it's for besides covering ground.
I also love popping the super behind cover to gently caress up people on high ground.

I think roller players are getting a little too cute with the super, I was seeing it more as a giant "ENEMY HERE" beacon than a threat. Also one person tried to pull it out when I was moving towards them rather than just running me down with the roller. I think people are starting to find the weapon they like though, god help us when the full game tosses in a bunch of others.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
This game is fun as hell, it was worth waking up early on a Saturday. I'm pretty terrible at most shooters but with the roller I was almost always the top player on my team. A roller with a splatershot for cover is a pretty good combo for covering up a lot of ground in your teams color. Would be nice if they at least had a basic way of communicating with people like the lobby for a race in Mario Kart

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oopsie rock posted:

Same here. I thought I would hate the gyro aim but it's actually pretty helpful for a game that involves this much interaction with the environment.

I spent the second hour trying to get used to gyro aiming and I just couldn't, it's not clicking with me. It probably didn't help that it kept configuring my aiming so that holding the gamepad level would aim me straight up in the air.

I guess I'll try again when the full game comes out, but I think I'm going to be an analog stick man, at least for close range stuff like the roller and Splatter Jr.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Got my first chance at the game since I was asleep during the first session. Jr. seems to be my weapon of choice, good for covering area whilst also doing some damage at a distance. That and the bubble shield has saved my rear end a few times already.

I really do love how the game design provide considerations that you'd never even need to think about in another game though. Being careful with grates whilst in squid form, looking at the map to suss out enemies when paint suddenly appears, the choice to spawn in to help your ally or to go to part of the map that everyone seems to have forgotten about, and is ripe for the taking. I think the teams being decidedly small, aside of making it easier on Nintendo's servers, actually works well to keep it from being possible to absolutely control the map, thus keeping the possibility of a turnaround by the losing team quite viable. I'm a little unused to being unable to change my weapon loadout mid-battle (then again, its been a while since I played online shooters in general), but it does provide an odd dynamic of having to make the best of what you've got. Though uh, I feel sorry for whatever sods are stuck with all snipers in a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damone
May 3, 2009
How does one not get 4 digits with a splat roller. Other than that most of my games have been hilariously close with less than half a percentage deciding between matches. Ink those walls too guys!

• Locked thread