Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Poque posted:

I have no idea how people would vote if it were Will/Rodney/Dan....would Rodney win? :psyduck:

Hali: Rodney?
Jenn: Rodney
Joe: ???
Shirin: Rodney
Tyler: Will or Rodney?
Mike: ???
Sierra: Will or Rodney?
Carolyn: Will?

Who cares it'd be great. :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poque posted:

I have no idea how people would vote if it were Will/Rodney/Dan....would Rodney win? :psyduck:

I suspect that the people on the show don't find Will as much of a piece of human garbage as we viewers do. But yeah Rodney might well win in that situation.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would love to see a Rodney win. Best Worst Winner.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's a fairly unique situation where the goats are driving the game and two of the three remaining viable winners (Sierra and Carolyn) are just riding on their coat tails.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I didn't get to watch this til a bit late, and the pages and pages of casting comments threw me off a little, but darn, that was not as exciting as I had hoped. :(

I'm kind of confused about Carolyn's endgame at this point. I feel like she would have been a lot better off if she had pushed the Dan angle/still flushed out MIke's idol/still had Tyler around for one more vote. She's managed to keep the perceptual heat off of herself as a challenge threat, as long as Tyler was around. Now she's lost that "anyone good at stuff besides Mike" advantage - because now she's the only other one good at anything. AND she lost her best ally. I just can't put all the pieces together.

Does anyone wanna bet that Dan's extra vote somehow get's used in the most boring possible way ever? Because that's just kind of how I think of these people at this point. :lol:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Speculating about the advantage and what Jeff has said about how it plays out: It is supposed to be part of a big or important move, which given the current state of the game I could only see as either ousting Caroline with idol in pocket or Rodney. Jeff could be full of it though.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Poque posted:

They'd all vote for the inevitable little girl Jeff interviews in the reunion.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I hate this show.

When is the next episode?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IRQ posted:

I suspect that the people on the show don't find Will as much of a piece of human garbage as we viewers do. But yeah Rodney might well win in that situation.

Hali, Joe, Jenn, Shirin, and Mike all hate Will.

Will hasn't done poo poo and is a goat. Nobody ever talks about voting him out because there's no chance he'll win. Rodney would win in that case because he's been playing the game and is the least objectionable person, hard as that is to believe.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i don't think i can live in a world where dan, will, or rodney wins this game

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm just vaguely confident that Jeff wouldn't call this one of his favorite seasons with a Dan/Will/Rodney win.

Something on RHAP got me concerned though. If one of them does win the season, the best way to draw attention away from that would be to announce America's choice contestants for a Survivor All-Star season. :tinfoil:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Boston Rod winning is the best possible result. I'd settle for Mike, but Boston Rod winning on the first try would be pretty hilarious. The nightmare scenario is also the most likely, Carolyn winning.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mike won't lose if he makes it to the finals, but I just don't see his path there without going on a challenge immunity run. Carolyn seems like the only other possible winner for it to be anywhere near a good ending for the season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Met posted:

Mike won't lose if he makes it to the finals, but I just don't see his path there without going on a challenge immunity run. Carolyn seems like the only other possible winner for it to be anywhere near a good ending for the season.

She's deserving, but she irritates the hell out of me. I find her the most annoying person left by a wide margin.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BGrifter posted:

She's deserving, but she irritates the hell out of me. I find her the most annoying person left by a wide margin.

I can't argue with that.

So this is the order of winning for the rest of the players, right? No matter what 2 or 3 people make it to the finals, this is the placement they would win the game? It's really wild that it's just so definitive. I don't think we get a lot of seasons like this.

Mike
Carolyn
Sierra
Rodney
Dan
Will

MAYBE Dan can pull ahead of Rodney. But that's really it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I seriously think Mike is going to get to Dan and offer up his challenge comp chewing stick as a show of good faith.
Dan will use his double and bounce Mama C on a REVOTE between Mike and M.C.

If Carolyn doesn't play her idol on the first vote, she's unable to play it on the revote right? :confused:
And does Dan's double extend to a revote scenario?

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Met posted:

I'm just vaguely confident that Jeff wouldn't call this one of his favorite seasons with a Dan/Will/Rodney win.

Jeff wildly exaggerating how good the upcoming season is?!?? WHAT YOU SAY

I would pay good money for a final 2 of Dan and Will.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly think Rodney could beat Sierra - he has a much stronger strategic argument to make.

If by some force of nature we had a final two between Dan and Will I honestly would not know what to do.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I personally would enjoy every second of Jeff awkwardly trying to put lipstick on the pig.

Of course Dan or Will would have to win final immunity for that to happen. Unless someone got sick and evacuated at the last minute!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wouldn't hesitate to root for Dan in a Dan vs Will final two. Dan is a loudmouthed, ignorant, condecending jackass, but 90% of his problem is being utterly clueless and incapable of imaging what it must be like to be on the other side of a conversation with him. Will is malicious in a way Dan really isn't.

That said, Boston Rod is still the only acceptable winner. :colbert:

Edit: Imagine the players in the season after next watching Boston Rod's winning game and deciding that's the strategy to emulate. :stare:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Guys, just look at Mikes twitter and than look at the twitter of the 31 other people running to be on Survivor 31. There is not one "vote for me tweet" from him.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Guys, just look at Mikes twitter and than look at the twitter of the 31 other people running to be on Survivor 31. There is not one "vote for me tweet" from him.
He's under CBS mandated Twitter blackout rules since his season is in progress.
Has Carolyn been chirpy on the tweety?
My guess is no on that as well.

Yer reading too far into this.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

BGrifter posted:

Boston Rod winning is the best possible result. I'd settle for Mike, but Boston Rod winning on the first try would be pretty hilarious. The nightmare scenario is also the most likely, Carolyn winning.

i'd accept rod as a comedy option winner if he didn't go off on that loving "women need to hold themselves to a higher standard" nonsense earlier in the season. i don't want that guy to have a million dollars. it's kind of incredible that since then, however, someone has still managed to be a bigger shithole (will) so in the insane case of a will/rod final 2 then i would have to regrettably root for rod, but it would be a bad result and huge disappointment either way. i would actually want dan to win in a will/rod/dan final 3. but again, still a disappointment.

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square

Robnoxious posted:

He's under CBS mandated Twitter blackout rules since his season is in progress.
Has Carolyn been chirpy on the tweety?
My guess is no on that as well.

Yer reading too far into this.

There's no Twitter blackout this season, a lot of the cast members have been very active on there. He's still reading too much in to it though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adus posted:

i'd accept rod as a comedy option winner if he didn't go off on that loving "women need to hold themselves to a higher standard" nonsense earlier in the season. i don't want that guy to have a million dollars. it's kind of incredible that since then, however, someone has still managed to be a bigger shithole (will) so in the insane case of a will/rod final 2 then i would have to regrettably root for rod, but it would be a bad result and huge disappointment either way. i would actually want dan to win in a will/rod/dan final 3. but again, still a disappointment.
you find Rodney more offensive than Dan? Rodney's thing was stupid but it mostly just seemed ignorant and that was awhile ago. Dan's said so many mean and dumb things

Also, a funny thing about Dan: he auditioned for Survivor maybe more than anyone else in history and drove like 100,000 miles to go to all the Survivor auditions. His dream comes true and he gets on and not only is he not an early boot, he realizes he's gonna go deep. He gets the first ever vote doubler. He goes into confessionals and thinks he's giving them absolute gold, "Somebody slap this woman!" Finally it's over and he thinks, wow, that was the experience of a lifetime. He goes home and is celebrated all across his silly little town in Maine where he lives.

And then the show airs.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Exactly!
You can tell in every word he says he never forgets he's on TV and in his mind he's giving them pure Survivor Gold.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

oneof27 posted:

Exactly!
You can tell in every word he says he never forgets he's on TV and in his mind he's giving them pure Survivor Gold.

Same thing that Max did constantly, too.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

I've definitely wondered about what it's been like for Dan and his family watching the show and found this article: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/15/maine-contestant-finds-survivor-dream-comes-with-nightmares/

Dan and his friends are basically chalking it all up to a combination of selective editing and his willingness to call people on their poo poo (because who doesn't love that) and last but not least 'hey you try living with Shirin while you're starving and see what happens'. That's kind of the only thing Dan can say at this point because I really doubt the editing made him pointlessly mocking Shirin to her face look worse than it was but I also don't see why a bunch of his friends (and Sierra?) would suddenly lie and start spinning tales about what a good guy he is.

To me this is why Survivor's so great - that under certain conditions and with certain personality types mixing that a good dude by all accounts can behave like a casually misogynistic and completely oblivious bully. And to me it's the bullying aspect that makes Dan so much less sympathetic than Rodney, who while just as casually misogynistic and ignorant never really comes off as mean-spirited. I just can't imagine what it's like being in a bar with 200 friends and family watching the ugliest version of yourself on national TV - what a surreal experience.

Unmerciful fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 9, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Unmerciful posted:

I've definitely wondered about what it's been like for Dan and his family watching the show and found this article: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/15/maine-contestant-finds-survivor-dream-comes-with-nightmares/

Dan and his friends are basically chalking it all up to a combination of selective editing and his willingness to call people on their poo poo (because who doesn't love that) and last but not least 'hey you try living with Shirin while you're starving and see what happens'. That's kind of the only thing Dan can say at this point because I really doubt the editing made him pointlessly mocking Shirin to her face look worse than it was but I also don't see why a bunch of his friends (and Sierra?) would suddenly lie and start spinning tales about what a good guy he is.

To me this is why Survivor's so great - that under certain conditions and with certain personality types mixing that a good dude by all accounts can behave like a casually misogynistic and completely oblivious bully. And to me it's the bullying aspect that makes Dan so much less sympathetic than Rodney, who while just as casually misogynistic and ignorant never really comes off as mean-spirited. I just can't imagine what it's like being in a bar with 200 friends and family watching the ugliest version of yourself on national TV - what a surreal experience.

Foley said he had no way of knowing Oskooi’s personal history and apologized to her on Twitter, saying, “Shirin, there r no words to express how sorry I am about my cruel words.”

sounds like he's really sorry.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I love the idea the only reason there is inequality in society is our continued insistence on talking about inequality. :911:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poque posted:

Foley said he had no way of knowing Oskooi’s personal history and apologized to her on Twitter, saying, “Shirin, there r no words to express how sorry I am about my cruel words.”

Ah, he's one of those "there's a black president racism is over stop talking about it now guys!" kind of assholes too.

Dan's assholeishness is like layers of an onion.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Poque posted:

Haha I hadn't seen that FB post - to me that makes the story even more fascinating. Can Dan be such an insincere rear end in a top hat and so proudly ignorant and privileged but also a devoted husband and such a good friend that people are lining up to give testimonials and Sierra flies cross country to watch the show with him? Apparently that's the case but it seems very weird to me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Unmerciful posted:

Can Dan be such an insincere rear end in a top hat but also a devoted husband and such a good friend that people are lining up to give testimonials and Sierra flies cross country to watch the show with him? Apparently that's the case but it seems very weird to me.

Wow I'd like to live in whatever world you do.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Poque posted:

He's adopted, he can't help it.

e; What about adopted children's rights? :mad:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

aidoru posted:

He's adopted, he can't help it.

Perhaps his bioloigcal parents knew how lovely Dan would be and bailed

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

BGrifter posted:

I wouldn't hesitate to root for Dan in a Dan vs Will final two. Dan is a loudmouthed, ignorant, condecending jackass, but 90% of his problem is being utterly clueless and incapable of imaging what it must be like to be on the other side of a conversation with him. Will is malicious in a way Dan really isn't.

Dan is contemptuous to everybody, including himself. That doesn't make it OK, but at least he doesn't spare himself.

Unmerciful posted:

Haha I hadn't seen that FB post - to me that makes the story even more fascinating. Can Dan be such an insincere rear end in a top hat and so proudly ignorant and privileged but also a devoted husband and such a good friend that people are lining up to give testimonials and Sierra flies cross country to watch the show with him? Apparently that's the case but it seems very weird to me.

You know, I think he can be that kind of guy. He simply has a case of oblivious foot-in-mouth disease. I don't like him, but I could see him definitely being an utterly loyal friend through thick and thin. See how he talked to Will after the two votes on him.

That's the first I'd heard of Sierra doing that, do you have a link? A mature person on Survivor could go through 39 days of hell, come out the other side and say: Hey, we were all starving, hot, cold, sleep-deprived, stressed, and fighting each other for a million dollars. Now that the game is over, I'll give everyone a mulligan and see how they are when we aren't going through the toughest experience of our lives. You see Jeff talk about how everyone on Survivor is a Family, and it's not surprising considering the unique, highly stressful shared experience they went through together. If Sierra and Dan can be friendly enough to set aside their differences and spend a day together, I think that speaks highly of them whatever their edit may be.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Unmerciful posted:

The answer to your question is yes. It is weird, but people can be both beloved members of a community, loved deeply by their family members, and liked by many people, and still be gigantic pricks about people that are different from them. In fact, I'd venture to guess most people have an issue that when it comes right down to it, makes them a demonic shitbird. Survivor provides ideal conditions for triggering the inner rear end in a top hat, especially when people are confronted with others from vastly different backgrounds.

Also, there are plenty of misogynists that never fail to treat their wife with respect. It is SO WEIRD.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
If I were betting on this I'd call Mama C as this season's winner after that last episode. I can't remember her ever being a target or not in the majority, she has an idol, she's won immunities, and she seems to come off as a strategic player.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

If I were betting on this I'd call Mama C as this season's winner after that last episode. I can't remember her ever being a target or not in the majority, she has an idol, she's won immunities, and she seems to come off as a strategic player.

She's a lizard person wearing a human skin, I think she's going to win too.

(Don't confuse this with some sort of anti-Sematic Jewish Illuminati joke- look at her face when she smiles after defeating somebody :stonk:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Carolyn has tattooed eyeliner. I'm pretty sure anyways. That's my Carolyn fact.

• Locked thread