Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Teachers do, in fact, make fairly decent money. The problem is that they then have to turn around and spend half of it on their classrooms. So, the income might not necessarily be wrong, there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Look, there's been a lot of inflation between our time and the far off future of 2013.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Geomancing posted:

I think my favorite part of the little random bits of occupational data that is assigned to random NPCs wandering around is the massively inflated amounts of money that each person makes compared to real life. Teacher? 60 grand. Fast food clerk? 30 grand. It's ridiculous in most cases.
It's the only way they can justify selling $10 bottles of Beer Bottle.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrashCat posted:

It's the only way they can justify selling $10 bottles of Beer Bottle.

Mmmmmmm, Beer Bottle. Nothing like a nice cold Beer Bottle while hanging out with your friends at Sports Bar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Great Joe posted:

People call it a tutorial but it doesn't really teach you much at all. Final Fantasy 13 is just a poo poo game.

If you engage with the game instead of hating it and just waiting for it to become "good", it's actually very good at gradually introducing mechanics and letting you master them before introducing new ones. Now, I'm not saying this makes it a good game. FFXIII is incredibly flawed, mostly due to the sheer chaos that was it's development. I'm just saying that the20 hour tutorial works.

It's kind of the anti-SaGa, when you think about it, where they just throw you into the game without explaining anything. Ever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you engage with the game instead of hating it and just waiting for it to become "good", it's actually very good at gradually introducing mechanics and letting you master them before introducing new ones. Now, I'm not saying this makes it a good game. FFXIII is incredibly flawed, mostly due to the sheer chaos that was it's development. I'm just saying that the20 hour tutorial works.

It's kind of the anti-SaGa, when you think about it, where they just throw you into the game without explaining anything. Ever.

The problem is they spend way too long easing you in. There's a good several hours introducing you to the ATB bar by giving you battle upon battle of mashing X where it's impossible to lose. Then you have a couple hours introducing you to the actual combat system when you get Paradigms. Then you have a good 15 hours of learning how to balance your party by working with lovely 2-person parties. In pretty much every other FF game the "stuck with a lovely 2 person party" phase ends like an hour in. This game waits until like chapter 9 of 13 to take the training wheels off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Augus posted:

The problem is they spend way too long easing you in. There's a good several hours introducing you to the ATB bar by giving you battle upon battle of mashing X where it's impossible to lose. Then you have a couple hours introducing you to the actual combat system when you get Paradigms. Then you have a good 15 hours of learning how to balance your party by working with lovely 2-person parties. In pretty much every other FF game the "stuck with a lovely 2 person party" phase ends like an hour in. This game waits until like chapter 9 of 13 to take the training wheels off.

That's a good point. I was just answering the person saying t didn't teach you anything, which is untrue.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

Bluhman posted:

I really can't get over how all the outfits (we've seen so far?) are just palette swaps.

Thing is they're not all pallet swaps; somebody designed several different types of ugly coat and silly hat for Aiden...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bluhman posted:

I really can't get over how all the outfits (we've seen so far?) are just palette swaps.

I wonder how much the game could've benefited if the procedurally-generated vigilante segments had negotiation: They'd use those little randomized 'character traits' displayed when hacking them to get a rough personality, pick up clues on their chatlogs, and use that to try and persuade them to stop. And depending on what happens, with a bit of luck, you either get them to stop and a huge XP boost, have them grimly brush you off and postpone the killing (and then maybe negotiation becomes a non-option) or just go for the kill, or maybe they go crazy and just attack you.

Seems sort of odd that, for something that the game seems solely based around so far, it isn't very fleshed out.

Oh, yes, exactly, social hacks and negotiation.

Like the "social boss battles" in Deus Ex Human Revolution!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Samizdata posted:

Mmmmmmm, Beer Bottle. Nothing like a nice cold Beer Bottle while hanging out with your friends at Sports Bar.

I love going to Bar. I usually order sandwich and have drink.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

Man, doesn't Bar have the best Sandwich?

Although I found their Chicken Wing disappointing.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

I find bar always has Local sporting event on

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

djw175 posted:

At least three of them in the reviews say they couldn't afford it so you can knock $3600 off that.

That's still way too much money to make on a coat based on this game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Assassin's Creed has the same system of only having palette swap color clothes (at least until Unity, which was probably one of the best parts) and nobody complains about that.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Probably because the Assassin uniform looks decent, as opposed to the dumb poo poo Aiden wears.

You got me there, although Aiden blends into crowds about as well as most AssCreed characters do so it's even.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 10, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Assassin's Creed has the same system of only having palette swap color clothes (at least until Unity, which was probably one of the best parts) and nobody complains about that.

Probably because the Assassin uniform looks decent, as opposed to the dumb poo poo Aiden wears.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There's actually usually a few unlockable costumes on top of the color swaps.

Rogue for instance, has a bloody viking outfit.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Augus posted:

Do they actually tell you the plot at all during all that tutorial? Like having an actual way to tell what the gently caress's a Fal'cie and what's a l'cie? Cuz man, everything I hear about it, NOBODY tells me what the plot is, or even if there IS one.

(is it L'cie or i'cie btw I only ever see that written down and I really want to punch whoever made English lower-L and upper-i look the exact same in the loving face)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There were a few of them that were actually different but yeah about 80% of them were really just palette swaps even if they do look less dumb than Aiden's palette swaps.

Just points to Ubisoft being massively unimaginative with clothing, I mean if they had no imagination to make a female assassin playable for being "too difficult to program" then what else do you expect from them? :v:

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

Do they actually tell you the plot at all during all that tutorial? Like having an actual way to tell what the gently caress's a Fal'cie and what's a l'cie? Cuz man, everything I hear about it, NOBODY tells me what the plot is, or even if there IS one.

(is it L'cie or i'cie btw I only ever see that written down and I really want to punch whoever made English lower-L and upper-i look the exact same in the loving face)

Nah, all that poo poo is in the gargantuan appendix the game has, The Datalog. Hope you came ready to study (I love FF13 a lot for some reason). They totally forgot to have a fish out of water protagonist so everyone in game pretty much already knows all the poo poo going on so you have to go read the encyclopedia to learn what they already know. I have a bit of a feeling that Watch_Dogs may run into a similar issue but not actually have the courtesy of having an encyclopedia to look at to explain some bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm a big sucker for flawed games so I can't bring myself to hate this one completely.

Like, I'll play Escape Dead Island, from a gameplay standpoint it's pretty awful, but the writer did some gutsy and experimental things with it by having most or all of what goes on possibly be a hallucination on the part of the main character; everything gets really weird really fast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a little early for me to be making this kind of statement, but the big thing I'm noticing is that the game itself seems very dull. There are games that are incredibly flawed but very interesting at the same time, like Nier, but Watch Dogs seems like a cookie cutter Ubisoft open world game without the things that made the recent Far Cry games fun. Then you have Black Flag, which takes the generic Ubisoft template and does something unique with it (making the base assaults a naval fight that transitioned into an on-land takeover of the fort was super cool). The blackout was visually interesting but the rest of the hacking stuff is a little bland to me. Again, it's way too early to know how the game will pan out, but if I had bought the game myself I'd probably have lost interest by now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've only been playing the AssCreed games sporadically the last few years, so apologies if I'm wrong, but with them at least there's also the aspect of building up your costume through obtaining new gear and such, so you get visible changes and updates as you progress. But I suppose that's still separate of whole costume sets, so fair enough.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Astro Nut posted:

I've only been playing the AssCreed games sporadically the last few years, so apologies if I'm wrong, but with them at least there's also the aspect of building up your costume through obtaining new gear and such, so you get visible changes and updates as you progress. But I suppose that's still separate of whole costume sets, so fair enough.
Some of the games have that and some don't

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

Some of the games have that and some don't

Most of them do have changes to your outfit as you get upgrades which is what I think he's talking about.

Replacing armor bits, bigger quivers/knifebelts, extra scabbards, etc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of them do have changes to your outfit as you get upgrades which is what I think he's talking about.

Replacing armor bits, bigger quivers/knifebelts, extra scabbards, etc.

There's also usually one out two outfits that are completely different, like the special armor you get for doing all the tombs in AC2.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Neopie posted:

Teachers do, in fact, make fairly decent money. The problem is that they then have to turn around and spend half of it on their classrooms. So, the income might not necessarily be wrong, there...

Depends a lot on where you're teaching, and what kind of benefits you get rather than just gross income. Most school districts try to keep it reasonable based on cost of living for the area, but for example in my home state, that still only means an income of about 35,000 dollars per year.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Begemot posted:

There's also usually one out two outfits that are completely different, like the special armor you get for doing all the tombs in AC2.

Until AC3 this was the Paradigm. In 3 they started making it so that every different costume was different but harder to get. One of the problems they have though is that they don't make sure that costumes fit into the story.

In Unity I remember a mission where you walk into an office and are told that your hood makes you look sinister. At the time I was wearing the best costume I had (yay stats) which didn't actually have a hood.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Stormgale posted:

I find bar always has Local sporting event on

And next Friday, there's even supposed to be Bands playing at the bar!

I sure hope no biker gangs show up, I might be wearing the wrong cut..

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FinalGamer posted:

The (massively abridged) plot is basically, God creates robo-gods, who create robo-demi-gods (Fal'Cie) and humans. Then god fucks off. The Fal'Cie are tasked to govern humanity (shape the land, provide food, light shelter, etc), but one group get bored of this, and want god to come back to them. Because they can't self-terminate they concoct this convoluted plan to kill loving everyone in the hope god will take notice, so brand select humans with a "focus" to do their bidding. These branded humans (L'Cie) get access to magic, and can summon transformer personas. However, they're on a time limit - if they don't finish their focus before it runs out, they turn into a rock-crystal zombie (Cie'th) - if they do they get naked and turn into a crystal statue where they're in stasis until they're needed to do some random stuff for the Fal'Cie again.

The main characters come into it when they're branded and gotta figure out what they've got to do for all this, admist a kitchen sink drama blah blah blah. Then the game ends on a literal Deus ex Machina that is is only explained in the sequel, as is some big plot thing about a magic gate that only appears in a Latin cipher on one of the transformer summon's shield (that you will never be able to see clearly ingame), and in one datalog that you can only read by defeating an optional boss that you can only access after beating the game, and completing a very long hunting side-quest. And then the plot of the sequels are essentially non-sequiturs to the first.
---

I've just caught up to the videos, and I can't get over how visually unappealing the main character's costume is (Uncle Vash the Stampede aside :v:), or the main character's personality, for that matter.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FFXIII sucks. Watch______________Dogs sucks.

But a game about Sazh Katzroy being batdad because gritty cyberpunk Chicago's robot overlords turned his son into a crystal would own.

edit. also I'm sorry, but Sazh's jacket outstyles Aidens by orders of magnitude. This is a suit they should make merchandise worth several grand on:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 11, 2015

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mazed posted:

FFXIII sucks. Watch______________Dogs sucks.

But a game about Sazh Katzroy being batdad because gritty cyberpunk Chicago's robot overlords turned his son into a crystal would own.

edit. also I'm sorry, but Sazh's jacket outstyles Aidens by orders of magnitude. This is a suit they should make merchandise worth several grand on:

Maybe if Aiden kept a chocobo in his hair, he would be a better dad uncle.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I agree that Sazh's outfit loving owns but quite frankly ANY outfit in Final Fantasy is better than Aiden's because even the dumbest ones have SOMETHING new about them.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The (massively abridged) plot is basically, God creates robo-gods, who create robo-demi-gods (Fal'Cie) and humans. Then god fucks off. The Fal'Cie are tasked to govern humanity (shape the land, provide food, light shelter, etc), but one group get bored of this, and want god to come back to them. Because they can't self-terminate they concoct this convoluted plan to kill loving everyone in the hope god will take notice, so brand select humans with a "focus" to do their bidding. These branded humans (L'Cie) get access to magic, and can summon transformer personas. However, they're on a time limit - if they don't finish their focus before it runs out, they turn into a rock-crystal zombie (Cie'th) - if they do they get naked and turn into a crystal statue where they're in stasis until they're needed to do some random stuff for the Fal'Cie again.

The main characters come into it when they're branded and gotta figure out what they've got to do for all this, admist a kitchen sink drama blah blah blah. Then the game ends on a literal Deus ex Machina that is is only explained in the sequel, as is some big plot thing about a magic gate that only appears in a Latin cipher on one of the transformer summon's shield (that you will never be able to see clearly ingame), and in one datalog that you can only read by defeating an optional boss that you can only access after beating the game, and completing a very long hunting side-quest. And then the plot of the sequels are essentially non-sequiturs to the first.
...thank.

God, I did not miss anything, thank you so much for the recap. :) Good to know my perception that this game's sense of story immersion is nowhere near as good as Mass Effect's was never wrong.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Okay for gently caress's sake, Aiden's outfit is a boring jacket and a stupid hat but it is really not that bad. Are you seriously suggesting that a bland, sweaty coat is actually worse than this?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Misread nm

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God drat can we stop talking about Final Fantasy? If there is anything Goons get more obnoxious about than Final Fantasy I haven't found it.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

dreezy posted:

Okay for gently caress's sake, Aiden's outfit is a boring jacket and a stupid hat but it is really not that bad. Are you seriously suggesting that a bland, sweaty coat is actually worse than this?

Tidus has the absolute worst outfit in both style and function. Seriously, he plays a sport centered around swimming and he is wearing overalls.

The problem I have with Aiden's design is that the developers tried to make his jacket part of a vigilante costume as well as part of everyday attire. No one else appears to wear clothes like his, yet the only change he makes when crime fighting is to pull up a scarf-mask. His hat, the back of the coat, and his scarf all have bat-symbol-style designs that happen to be unremarkable to eye witnesses. The game would solve this problem by having more characters wearing designer coats.

Compare Aiden's and Cole McGrath's designs: Both characters have unique and easily distinguished designs. Neither will be lost in a crowd. However, Cole's costume in both if 1 & 2 looks like clothing gathered naturally, like something anybody could gather to make a 'costume,' which is odd because, while Aiden tries to hide his identity, Cole wants people to know he's a hero/villain.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

God drat can we stop talking about Final Fantasy? If there is anything Goons get more obnoxious about than Final Fantasy I haven't found it.

I think you have your answer

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spiritus Nox posted:

In my opinion, they were at their best when I personally was at the age to be most susceptible to dumb anime plots.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Cole's Infamous 1 outfit is literally a tracksuit which makes sense since he's an on foot courier. In part 2 he goes for a more superhero/villain attire that's still obviously modified over the counter athletic wear

The characters of Second Son and First Light have distinctive and yet "normal" outfits as well. Delsin wears a jeans, a hoodie and a jacket (which has different designs based on player preference and his alignment.) Fetch has a very punk outfit and mostly distinguishes herself with dyed hair.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I wanna know what Aiden's Persona would be and how he would look in Battle Panties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"We've got an APB out, suspect is caucasian male, 6'2", wearing a gabardine, scarf, and three layers in balmy 70 degrees weather. Coat, cap and scarf all have the same symbo- oh, you got him already? Ok then."

• Locked thread