Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I have a CCIE R/S; I passed the v4 lab in 2010. I have no idea if that IP Expert topology is representative of the current lab or not. The troubleshooting section I had in V4 was about 30 routers, but the build portion was still just 6 routers, 4 switches, 3 backbone devices. The number of devices in troubleshooting actually made things easier, the issue tickets all concerned different sets of routers with no inter-dependencies.

INE makes a lot of good study material. For a lab I'd suggest looking into VIRL, it fills in the layer 2 stuff that GNS3 won't do. Additionally it allows running IOS-XE, IOS-XR, and ASA (not necessarily relevant to the R/S material though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
With the last day to test for 640-461 ICOMM being August 14. 2015, does anyone have an idea of when the new test and study material starts getting rolled out? Apparently its going to be my next cert.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

inignot posted:

I have a CCIE R/S; I passed the v4 lab in 2010. I have no idea if that IP Expert topology is representative of the current lab or not. The troubleshooting section I had in V4 was about 30 routers, but the build portion was still just 6 routers, 4 switches, 3 backbone devices. The number of devices in troubleshooting actually made things easier, the issue tickets all concerned different sets of routers with no inter-dependencies.

INE makes a lot of good study material. For a lab I'd suggest looking into VIRL, it fills in the layer 2 stuff that GNS3 won't do. Additionally it allows running IOS-XE, IOS-XR, and ASA (not necessarily relevant to the R/S material though).

Will VIRL do all the stuff I need? I remember looking at it when it came out last year and being a bit disappointed but to be honest I haven't read much on it since. I've got switches coming out of my ears, 10+ 3560's I can play with here, but routers are where I might come up short. I've got probably 5x 881/887/891's, 2x 1841's and 2 x 1941's. I've got two 2900's of some model that I can't think of right now, a 3925E and a 4451-x.
I've gotta send one of the engineers out to go and decom about 20 1841's though so I'll be up to my eyeballs in those if theyre any use for CCIE.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 5, 2015

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Had an issue with the CCNA DC books I just bought, fired a question to Wendell Odom, the author, on his Facebook page and he responded in less than 12 hours. I am cool now!

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Ahdinko posted:

Will VIRL do all the stuff I need? I remember looking at it when it came out last year and being a bit disappointed but to be honest I haven't read much on it since. I've got switches coming out of my ears, 10+ 3560's I can play with here, but routers are where I might come up short. I've got probably 5x 881/887/891's, 2x 1841's and 2 x 1941's. I've got two 2900's of some model that I can't think of right now, a 3925E and a 4451-x.
I've gotta send one of the engineers out to go and decom about 20 1841's though so I'll be up to my eyeballs in those if theyre any use for CCIE.

My son wants to try for ccna this summer so if you're willing to part with some of that gear I'll happily take off of your hands.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Ahdinko posted:

The latest release of VIRL added the layer 2 & ASA VM images. Physical gear is great if you have it, depends on what you want to do. Physically mirroring an IPExpert or INE lab topology may still involve finding different interfaces, or having to adapt to different interface numbers from what is in the vendor initial configs. INE already has adapted their CCIE RS v5 workbook topology to VIRL:

http://blog.ine.com/2014/12/04/using-cisco-virl-for-ccie-preparation/
http://ieoc.com/forums/t/31223.aspx

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

inignot posted:

The latest release of VIRL added the layer 2 & ASA VM images. Physical gear is great if you have it, depends on what you want to do. Physically mirroring an IPExpert or INE lab topology may still involve finding different interfaces, or having to adapt to different interface numbers from what is in the vendor initial configs. INE already has adapted their CCIE RS v5 workbook topology to VIRL:

http://blog.ine.com/2014/12/04/using-cisco-virl-for-ccie-preparation/
http://ieoc.com/forums/t/31223.aspx

Ahh that was it, it didn't do layer 2. I'll give it a whirl in combination with my switches as its pretty cheap and sounds like it does alot now. Its nice being able to see all the wires and blinky lights sometimes.

XakEp posted:

My son wants to try for ccna this summer so if you're willing to part with some of that gear I'll happily take off of your hands.

I'm in the UK and its not mine to sell but rather my work's

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 5, 2015

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
From Lamelle's CCNA DC book. Is it just me, or is the second "any" after the destination host address an error? This is NX-OS specific.

pre:
Write an ACL to deny unencrypted web traffic FROM any source TO host 10.10.1.110
Nexus7k(config-acl)# deny tcp any host 10.10.1.110 any eq 80

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
What's the go-to book for Network+ these days? School suggest using this one. I got labsim but I figured reading through a book might help too and would like one that won't make me wanna stab my own eyes. Is Lammle as good there as he is in CCENT/CCNA?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can't go wrong with Lammle

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Zeratanis posted:

What's the go-to book for Network+ these days? School suggest using this one. I got labsim but I figured reading through a book might help too and would like one that won't make me wanna stab my own eyes. Is Lammle as good there as he is in CCENT/CCNA?

I can't speak for the latest version but I found the Darril Gibson Sybex book to be fantastically concise and easy to read. I supplemented with the Professor Messer videos, but those probably weren't necessary.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Any good place I should start so I can stop working crap call center IT and actually do an help center desk job?
I have some cisco under me, but could use a re-fresher/never got my certs due to dropping out of college at the time.
I'm getting up there in age and I wana work a career not some soul crushing IT job for an ISP.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone here still doing courses at Stanly? If so, this might be of interest to you:

quote:

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sheep posted:

Anyone here still doing courses at Stanly? If so, this might be of interest to you:

I saw that 50 spots were opened up to the next 175 people on the waitlist. I replied within 10 minutes of getting it so hopefully I'm able to get into the next class at the end of May. Sucks for people in those states.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me a couple hours to reply. Hopefully I'll get in. :ohdear:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you're talking about the CCNA course they just added, there are several other community colleges in NC that offer the exact same program online.

I've no idea about he VMware course though, they kept telling me I'm able to register but I think I'm gonna put it off until they update for the latest version of vSphere.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sheep posted:

I had gotten this as well back last year when I signed up and completed the course. You have absolutely nothing mailed to you except a congratulatory letter/certificate at the end. I'm pretty sure they report the class completion to VMware so that you can take the VCA test via your vmware candidate number or ID or something. I just used a relatives out of state address to register and was completely fine.

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE
Anyone recently take the CCNA Security exam? I have noticed in CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant Udumy videos, they use a version of CCP that has a navigation bar on the left... The version I downloaded from Cisco looks nothing like that. The version I downloaded has large buttons, almost looks like a smartphone app or something. Should I try to find the right version? Does the CCNA Security exam even touch the CCP UI/menu? I dislike the fact they are pushing CCP in this exam anyways :bahgawd:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone do ccna voice recently? Been reading it and it looks deceptively easy which is kind of worrisome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HotCarl posted:

Anyone recently take the CCNA Security exam? I have noticed in CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant Udumy videos, they use a version of CCP that has a navigation bar on the left... The version I downloaded from Cisco looks nothing like that. The version I downloaded has large buttons, almost looks like a smartphone app or something. Should I try to find the right version? Does the CCNA Security exam even touch the CCP UI/menu? I dislike the fact they are pushing CCP in this exam anyways :bahgawd:

The exam does and it stinks. The good news is that if you've ever used a GUI before you can probably just rear end yourself through the testlet questions that are like "press the right buttons to apply an ACL to f0/1" or whatever. The bad news are the "what menu is command x found under" questions.

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE

Alain Post posted:

The exam does and it stinks. The good news is that if you've ever used a GUI before you can probably just rear end yourself through the testlet questions that are like "press the right buttons to apply an ACL to f0/1" or whatever. The bad news are the "what menu is command x found under" questions.

Yeah I could probably wing the testlets, but the second part is what I'm afraid of. I guess I have to figure out what version of CCP to use. Thanks for answering.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you pass the CCIE written and they refresh the exam before you take the lab, do you have to retake the new written version?

Also, anyone taken the new CISSP yet?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

m.hache posted:

It reminds me of those teachers that had me do programming exams on paper and wanted us to write out code by hand. What's the point of doing that? I feel that the exams would be much more forgiving if you had access to a powershell window.

Catching up on the thread after vacation. For what it's worth, if you're applying for a job that will involve significant "programming" duties, you WILL have to write poo poo on a whiteboard. Dinging candidates for minor mistakes is dumb, and most places won't do that. They may even say "pseudocode is OK, just do your best". But if you list Python on your resume, be ready to write 50 lines of something resembling Python on the whiteboard.

I've interviewed at one of the major Web companies for a sysadmin job, and they absolutely expect you to be able to whiteboard code. Full disclosure: I didn't get the job :saddowns:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

m.hache posted:

Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

I'm thinking of canceling my 70-410 appointment at the end of the month. I haven't had my heart in studying at all and I honestly don't even know where to begin. If you're on your second go and studying and still can't sink it, there's no hope for me.

I was going to go for second shot, but I'll just end up feeling bad about myself.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

psydude posted:

If you pass the CCIE written and they refresh the exam before you take the lab, do you have to retake the new written version?

No. CCIE R&S recently got upgraded to version 5. If you passed the version 4 written, you can still take the version 5 lab. There is one caveat to that: once you pass your written, you have to do your first lab attempt within 18 months and actually pass the lab within 3 years, otherwise you have to redo the written.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I'm thinking of canceling my 70-410 appointment at the end of the month. I haven't had my heart in studying at all and I honestly don't even know where to begin. If you're on your second go and studying and still can't sink it, there's no hope for me.

I was going to go for second shot, but I'll just end up feeling bad about myself.

Honestly if you've already paid for it I would hammer it out and see how you do.

Like I said, I probably just got really lovely questions. After I failed the first time I went back and studied like mad my weak areas, and they weren't even on the second exam.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm up for my 70-410 R2 and 70-411 R2 this summer (as well as my CCNA R&S). I'll be done the classes for 70-687 and 70-688 in a couple weeks but I can't afford to take the exams yet, nor am I quite sure I want to. Is there much demand for MSCA-Win8.1 in the kind of system administration environment that's looking for a CCNP/RHCSA/MSCA-Server2012? Or is it just a waste of time and money?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any stock goon recommendations on a book for the CCENT?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Lammle CCNA book and just cover the ICND1 topics. That book, and CBTNuggets videos along with Boson NetSim helped me get my CCNA.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The Lammle CCNA book and just cover the ICND1 topics. That book, and CBTNuggets videos along with Boson NetSim helped me get my CCNA.

Nice, thanks!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I'm looking for some opinions from all you tech savvy people. I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I'm moving into a computer network defense / cyber threat intelligence position in the near future. I have a CISSP now, but all my other certs are computer forensics related and forensics have been my focus the past 7 years or so. I don't have a ton of network experience so I'm considering doing some training/certification to brush up my technical skillset on the network end. Anyone have any suggestions on certs or training that would support that goal? The position is definitely information security oriented, but I'm wondering if getting stronger on network skills would be beneficial too. I have a gi bill that's begging to be used, so I have some flexibility with what kind of training I do.

So what do you think, goons? My primary goal is info security, but I'd like a solid networking base to augment that. Should I hit some basic networking certs, or just focus on more information security certs? What certs should i look at to complement my CISSP?

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

udemy still has the ten dollar course sale going on.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

If you're going down the Cisco track, Chris Bryant's material is pretty great. Sitting for my CCNP Route 300-101 test next week and his stuff on BGP has been excellent.

EDIT: Guess the sale is still going for a little while longer:

https://www.udemy.com/courses/featu...e&utm_term=hero

gooby pls fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2015

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
I've decided to go ahead with CCNA Security 640-554, but I can't find any local training.

I'm a hands-on learner, so what's my best bet in terms of labs and course material?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any stock goon recommendations on a book for the CCENT?

Odom's book did good for me, as well as this guys videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO74ZTcc648

Just print out the Exam Objectives for CCENT and watch the relevent videos are they are slightly out of order around the mid point.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gooby pls posted:

udemy still has the ten dollar course sale going on.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

If you're going down the Cisco track, Chris Bryant's material is pretty great. Sitting for my CCNP Route 300-101 test next week and his stuff on BGP has been excellent.

I'm not seeing the sale?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Sale is over. It's the second one they did this year though. 1 was in late Feb, the other one based on my email was April 27. They only lasted about 3-4 days each.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Is it worth studying for the CISSP if I don't have the experience to go along with it? I mean, what happens if I take it and pass it?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I'm looking for some opinions from all you tech savvy people. I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I'm moving into a computer network defense / cyber threat intelligence position in the near future. I have a CISSP now, but all my other certs are computer forensics related and forensics have been my focus the past 7 years or so. I don't have a ton of network experience so I'm considering doing some training/certification to brush up my technical skillset on the network end. Anyone have any suggestions on certs or training that would support that goal? The position is definitely information security oriented, but I'm wondering if getting stronger on network skills would be beneficial too. I have a gi bill that's begging to be used, so I have some flexibility with what kind of training I do.

So what do you think, goons? My primary goal is info security, but I'd like a solid networking base to augment that. Should I hit some basic networking certs, or just focus on more information security certs? What certs should i look at to complement my CISSP?

ccna, pentester academy certs then oscp.

In that order.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elucidarius posted:

Is it worth studying for the CISSP if I don't have the experience to go along with it? I mean, what happens if I take it and pass it?

Then you have to find another CISSP to certify that you have appropriate industry experience. Guess how hard that is.

That does not, however, preclude you from having to know the poo poo in a job interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

That does not, however, preclude you from having to know the poo poo in a job interview.

Trick question, CISSPs don't know poo poo.

I'll be here all week, try the veal!