Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
One night here http://www.beaumontinn.com/rooms.html with my husband and parents to kick off a three day adventure on the Bourbon Trail through Kentucky. Going to have a fancyish dinner and bourbon tasting there, then spend the next three days driving around and touring bourbon distilleries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

sleppy posted:

Is there something I'm not getting, or is that just a lovely tiger?

It's based on Minhwa art - a Korean folk art style:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

That's some Mog in the Dark poo poo right there.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Daimo posted:

That's some Mog in the Dark poo poo right there.

Mog drops acid.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

My Galaxy S3 died while I was out of down yesterday, and I semi-impulse bought a 32GB Galaxy S6. Bluetooth audio has been weirdly choppy, so it may be going back if I can't resolve the problem.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

My Galaxy S3 died while I was out of down yesterday, and I semi-impulse bought a 32GB Galaxy S6. Bluetooth audio has been weirdly choppy, so it may be going back if I can't resolve the problem.

My s3 is on the ropes and I'm considering upgrading as well. Any other problems? Besides the bluetooth?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

RisqueBarber posted:

My s3 is on the ropes and I'm considering upgrading as well. Any other problems? Besides the bluetooth?

Besides the bluetooth issue, the biggest annoyance so far is that it seems a lot pickier about USB cables than my S3 was. I've got a couple of chargers in my car, and the USB connection was so tenuous that just gingerly handling the phone would cause charging to start and stop every few seconds. If it's better with other cables, this isn't a dealbreaker for me; I'd like to start moving toward wireless charging anyway.

Other things I've noticed:
  • Lollipop has a built-in flashlight accessible through the pull down menu (if you add it there), but there's no widget for it, so I had to download a 3rd party app.
  • You can't cycle through home screen pages by continuing to swipe in one direction. Apparently this is a limitation of TouchWiz.
  • By default the leftmost page of your home screen is an RSS app or something that launches when you swipe over to it. This can be disabled, at least.
  • What was the context menu button on the S3 is now a task switcher button. Long-press starts split-screen. Not a problem, necessarily, but it'll take some getting used to.
  • Long-press on the home button, which brought up the task switcher on the S3, now brings up search.
  • So far I don't see a way to add slide-to-launch apps to the lock screen like the S3 does. You can launch the phone and the camera from the lock screen, and that might be it.

I imagine I'll notice other little things here and there. I've got two weeks to return it if I come across any dealbreakers, but I'm reluctant to do that unless I really have to.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Congrats on your disposable income!

Seriously that thing is awesome and I wish I could somehow justify a $300 soft cooler... :smith:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

Besides the bluetooth issue, the biggest annoyance so far is that it seems a lot pickier about USB cables than my S3 was. I've got a couple of chargers in my car, and the USB connection was so tenuous that just gingerly handling the phone would cause charging to start and stop every few seconds. If it's better with other cables, this isn't a dealbreaker for me; I'd like to start moving toward wireless charging anyway.

Other things I've noticed:
  • Lollipop has a built-in flashlight accessible through the pull down menu (if you add it there), but there's no widget for it, so I had to download a 3rd party app.
  • You can't cycle through home screen pages by continuing to swipe in one direction. Apparently this is a limitation of TouchWiz.
  • By default the leftmost page of your home screen is an RSS app or something that launches when you swipe over to it. This can be disabled, at least.
  • What was the context menu button on the S3 is now a task switcher button. Long-press starts split-screen. Not a problem, necessarily, but it'll take some getting used to.
  • Long-press on the home button, which brought up the task switcher on the S3, now brings up search.
  • So far I don't see a way to add slide-to-launch apps to the lock screen like the S3 does. You can launch the phone and the camera from the lock screen, and that might be it.

I imagine I'll notice other little things here and there. I've got two weeks to return it if I come across any dealbreakers, but I'm reluctant to do that unless I really have to.

Requesting updates.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Oh, I almost forgot: the rear camera protrudes from the phone, so the phone can't lay flat when placed on its back. As far as I'm concerned, some kind of case is basically mandatory now. Also, I'm not sure I see the purpose of putting glass on the back of the phone. It's heavier and slipperier than it needs to be, it's more vulnerable to damage than metal would have been, and any aesthetic value it has is lost because, again, you basically have to have at least a soft case.

Edit: Also, no access to the battery or SIM card, no SD slot.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

LoveMeDead posted:

One night here http://www.beaumontinn.com/rooms.html with my husband and parents to kick off a three day adventure on the Bourbon Trail through Kentucky. Going to have a fancyish dinner and bourbon tasting there, then spend the next three days driving around and touring bourbon distilleries.
You're going to have fun. Used to live in ky and it's always a blast doing this.
If you like Makers you should join the ambassadors program. You get free stuff in the mail. Glasses, stir sticks, coasters etc all dipped in wax of course. You also get your name on a barrel. Then get the option to buy your own single barrel bottle out of the barrel and dip it yourself.
https://www.makersmark.com/ambassadors/new

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

This is the only acceptable man-purse. Awesome purchase. My buddy has a yeti cooler and that thing is pretty amazing. Bag of ice last about a week in there and actually refreezes the water as it thaws.

Also, I like that they seem to have a sense of humor in advertisement

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I went to Franklin's BBQ in Austin where the line is...

Showed up at 830 where my spot was maybe 5 feet past that silver car on the left. Ate at 130. Hung out with friends, drank beer, and played cards on a fine Saturday afternoon while waiting for some god tier bbq.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

This is the only acceptable utilikilt.

rotaryfun posted:

This is the only acceptable fedora.

rotaryfun posted:

This is the only acceptable anime.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

I went to Franklin's BBQ in Austin where the line is...

Showed up at 830 where my spot was maybe 5 feet past that silver car on the left. Ate at 130. Hung out with friends, drank beer, and played cards on a fine Saturday afternoon while waiting for some god tier bbq.

I can't fathom waiting in line for 5 hours just to eat. In fact I'm not sure there's anything I'd wait in line for 5 hours for.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't fathom waiting in line for 5 hours just to eat. In fact I'm not sure there's anything I'd wait in line for 5 hours for.

A lifsaving surgery?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I waited a couple hours to eat at Hot Doug's once. It wasn't worth it, even the duck fries.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yea you have to go into it with the mindset of you're hanging out with friends and then around lunchtime you eat good food.

It was a fun experience

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SaltLick posted:

Yea you have to go into it with the mindset of you're hanging out with friends and then around lunchtime you eat good food.

It was a fun experience

I'll bet when you go on vacation, you just sit in a lounge chair next to the pool.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

I'll bet when you go on vacation, you just sit in a lounge chair next to the pool.

I bet your minimum wage job doesn't allow you to take vacations

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sigma X posted:

You shouldn't bet

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PCOS Bill posted:

I bet your minimum wage job doesn't allow you to take vacations

Bill youre my favorite

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My question is if they're only able to serve ~10 people an hour how do they stay in business?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Volume! ...wait. If I have some sort of internet device I can make 5 hours seem like nothing. I bet this place serves run of the mill BBQ and hired a marketing guy who decided to pay people to make a huge line just to build up hype from day one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

davebo posted:

My question is if they're only able to serve ~10 people an hour how do they stay in business?

They certainly serve more than 10 a hour. The place opens up at 11 you just have to get there super early to secure a spot in line.

Obama recently cut in line in order to get some so i guess being president has its perks

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

This is the only acceptable man-purse. Awesome purchase. My buddy has a yeti cooler and that thing is pretty amazing. Bag of ice last about a week in there and actually refreezes the water as it thaws.

Also, I like that they seem to have a sense of humor in advertisement

So glad I wasn't the only person to notice this. No ring though.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

SaltLick posted:

They certainly serve more than 10 a hour. The place opens up at 11 you just have to get there super early to secure a spot in line.

Obama recently cut in line in order to get some so i guess being president has its perks

How was it?

I don't know if I could wait in line that long. 5 hours at the beach with book, lounge chair, and cooler would be awesome. The BBQ place would smell awesome though. They should have a BBQ place at the beach where you stroll in, grab a number and go set up and relax to wait for awesome food.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I heart bacon posted:

How was it?

I don't know if I could wait in line that long. 5 hours at the beach with book, lounge chair, and cooler would be awesome. The BBQ place would smell awesome though. They should have a BBQ place at the beach where you stroll in, grab a number and go set up and relax to wait for awesome food.

The brisket was phenomenal. The turkey was really good but I think I like my favorite place here in Houston a bit better. I'm not a big sausage guy but this was the best sausage I've ever had. Pork ribs were delicious and I really wish I had gotten a beef rib. So all in all it was worth the wait and most excellent.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
With places like that they are bound to sell out of stuff, too. Nothing worse than waiting in line to find out they sold out of brisket or something.

For content: I bought a hand exercise ball so I can build my hand strength back up. I tore a ligament a year ago and I still can't grip or hold normally. It's very soothing to squish on it all day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

and 2 rolls of bags.

Gonna get my suffocate on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

and 2 rolls of bags.

Gonna get my suffocate on.

Sous vide?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, just run of the mill storage for food.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I once did a website for a company that makes Sous vide machines and in the internal documentation for them it was clearly laid out that the whole process of cooking like that was so the dumbest of the dumb could not gently caress up what they were doing.
Everytime I see chefs on TV getting a boner about cooking this way I think back to that documentation and laugh until I throw up.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

peter gabriel posted:

I once did a website for a company that makes Sous vide machines and in the internal documentation for them it was clearly laid out that the whole process of cooking like that was so the dumbest of the dumb could not gently caress up what they were doing.
Everytime I see chefs on TV getting a boner about cooking this way I think back to that documentation and laugh until I throw up.

I mean, it makes sense to idiot-proof a device meant to cook meat at such low temperatures.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toast Museum posted:

I mean, it makes sense to idiot-proof a device meant to cook meat at such low temperatures.

I just remember there was a section (this was a trade document meant for the buyers) that had a bullet point list of people it was aimed at and it being all for trainees etc, it's just an observation that sprung to mind.

Until then I thought it was some super hard elite way of cooking, going from TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3urixmWsWM

I dunno, maybe it's just me but there is an OMG SOUS VIDE vibe about it sometimes

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 00:16 on May 12, 2015

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I just remember there was a section (this was a trade document meant for the buyers) that had a bullet point list of people it was aimed at and it being all for trainees etc, it's just an observation that sprung to mind.

Until then I thought it was some super hard elite way of cooking, going from TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3urixmWsWM

I dunno, maybe it's just me but there is an OMG SOUS VIDE vibe about it sometimes

I'm pretty sure it used to be until it exploded in popularity and the prices of home sous vide setups became cheaper. It used to be incredibly expensive unless you wanted to DIY-rig up something that looked like you were making an explosive device from stuff you found in your garage.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

colas posted:

I bet this place serves run of the mill BBQ and hired a marketing guy who decided to pay people to make a huge line just to build up hype from day one.

I can see how you'd think that from the pictures, but... No, it really is obscenely good. A curve-wrecker if there ever was one.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Trabant posted:

I can see how you'd think that from the pictures, but... No, it really is obscenely good. A curve-wrecker if there ever was one.

Franklins is loving phenomenal, and absolutely worth the wait. It's definitely not a daily experience, or a solo one for that. Get a couple of people, chairs and a cooler of beer and hang out for a couple hours and then eat some of the best barbecue of your life.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Crunkjuice posted:

Franklins is loving phenomenal, and absolutely worth the wait. It's definitely not a daily experience, or a solo one for that. Get a couple of people, chairs and a cooler of beer and hang out for a couple hours and then eat some of the best barbecue of your life.

It may well be, but after drinking for a few hours could you really accurately judge? Maybe that's why they make people wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I guess after 5 hours of wait your brain refuses to process that it wasn't worth it and makes what you ordered taste like ambrosia to avoid psychological discomfort.