Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the Netflix synopsis for AKA:Jessica Jones:

Ever since her short-lived stint as a Super Hero ended in tragedy, Jessica Jones has been rebuilding her personal life and career as a hot-tempered, sardonic, badass private detective in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Plagued by self-loathing, and a wicked case of PTSD, Jessica battles demons from within and without, using her extraordinary abilities as an unlikely champion for those in need... especially if they're willing to cut her a check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I wanna see Kingpin slam an infinity gem into his bellybutton and fly through the galaxy fighting Thor and Vision.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
In superhero stories anything goes and everything is true. It's part of the fun.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

According to what we know from Thor, their magic is actually just highly-advanced technology, beyond our understanding. Which is bullshit considering what it can do, but that is the canon explanation. How this relates to Dr. Strange and Iron Fist and the Hand I don't know. I'd love for Thor to see Dr. Strange cast a spell and just go "okay yeah that's magic."

I think one way they could make it work is the fact that a lot of humans have started showing up with seemingly magic powers they got from technology (i.e. the Hulk) so maybe the "technology" part in the crazy way the MCU works is what they did to give themselves superpowers in the first place. Though other things, like how hard Thor's hammer is to pick up, screams magic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think one way they could make it work is the fact that a lot of humans have started showing up with seemingly magic powers they got from technology (i.e. the Hulk) so maybe the "technology" part in the crazy way the MCU works is what they did to give themselves superpowers in the first place. Though other things, like how hard Thor's hammer is to pick up, screams magic.

The handle has highly advanced biosensors that gauge the Objective Worthiness Quotient in the holder's body and activate increased gravity generators inside the head if the OWQ doesn't meet a certain threshold

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wouldn't really care of it's magic or not. I would just care if it WORKS. "Oh, okay, this hammer can definitively tell who is worthy of ruling Asgard. I gotta give it a try. Oops. Well, no Asgard for me. Can we have one of these for the US? Can Odin make another? It doesn't have to be a hammer. It could be a club or whatever."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Serf posted:

According to what we know from Thor, their magic is actually just highly-advanced technology, beyond our understanding. Which is bullshit considering what it can do

Why is that?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burning_Monk posted:

One of the fun things in the 2099 comics was the Thorites, which were just that, a gang of Thor inspired zealots.

It also happened in the Ultimate Universe as well. Ultimate Thor was an environmental warrior who was cult worshipped as a Norse God, while most of the world viewed him as a nutcase with delusions of Godhood. The first volume played up the "is he really sane or not" angle quite well, only really answering the question in the final issues.

dj_clawson posted:

I wouldn't really care of it's magic or not. I would just care if it WORKS. "Oh, okay, this hammer can definitively tell who is worthy of ruling Asgard. I gotta give it a try. Oops. Well, no Asgard for me. Can we have one of these for the US? Can Odin make another? It doesn't have to be a hammer. It could be a club or whatever."

The US one would be a handgun that fires nuclear bullets painted with the stars and stripes but is only usable by the President because democracy.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

Habibi posted:

Why is that?

Just laziness on the part of the writers, I guess? I mean the Clarke quote is cool and the idea is neat, but it eventually begins to wear a little thin to me. I for one do wish they'd just straight-up own it and say Loki is a sorcerer and that Thor's hammer was made by dwarves with spells forged into it and it only works for the worthy because the hammer is loving magical. The way they've approached it so far is well and good, but I really dig the spiritual/magical elements of the Marvel universe and I hope they go nuts in Iron Fist and really embrace the weirdness of it all.

Mostly because rather than seeing things on an clear progression from "modern-day tech" ->"repulsors" ->"superhuman augmentation"-> "Asgardians and Mjolnir etc.", I'd rather see a line between rational science and technology and esoteric magical bullshit. Just because it's such a comic-book thing that exists in the Marvel universe.

But so far Marvel has been knocking things out of the park with how they introduce things into the MCU, so no matter what they do I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

zoux posted:

Thor is a God from Asgard though.

:agreed:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Serf posted:

Just laziness on the part of the writers, I guess? I mean the Clarke quote is cool and the idea is neat, but it eventually begins to wear a little thin to me. I for one do wish they'd just straight-up own it and say Loki is a sorcerer and that Thor's hammer was made by dwarves with spells forged into it and it only works for the worthy because the hammer is loving magical. The way they've approached it so far is well and good, but I really dig the spiritual/magical elements of the Marvel universe and I hope they go nuts in Iron Fist and really embrace the weirdness of it all.

Mostly because rather than seeing things on an clear progression from "modern-day tech" ->"repulsors" ->"superhuman augmentation"-> "Asgardians and Mjolnir etc.", I'd rather see a line between rational science and technology and esoteric magical bullshit. Just because it's such a comic-book thing that exists in the Marvel universe.

But so far Marvel has been knocking things out of the park with how they introduce things into the MCU, so no matter what they do I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thor is a God from Asgard though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

According to what we know from Thor, their magic is actually just highly-advanced technology, beyond our understanding. Which is bullshit considering what it can do, but that is the canon explanation.

How do you know what highly advanced technology beyond our understanding can do?

There actually was sort of a quasi-Neo Pagan Norse group in an Agents of SHIELD episode that was all about stealing the power of the Gods but it wasn't in the better part of the first season so no one remembers it.

The Asgardians themselves seem to think of us as pet monkeys except Thor, so that's why they don't give us any cool tech despite us being virtually identical to them.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Serf posted:

Just laziness on the part of the writers, I guess?

Sorry, I meant that as in, "Why do you think the high technology explanation for 'magic' is "bullshit?""

e: to expand, this is an old and established trope, formalized by Arthur C Clarke as "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." There's even an entire TNG episode devoted to it. Some of what we can do or almost do today would have been considered magic by the standards of even fifty years ago. So it just seems like an odd complaint - unless, as I guess you to some degree clarify, you would simply prefer a greater presence of actual, not super advanced technology masquerading as, magic, which is cool.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 11, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Please keep super hero shenanigans out of my street level vigilante story. The mystical kung fu ninja stuff is okay though because it's based on reality.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

There actually was sort of a quasi-Neo Pagan Norse group in an Agents of SHIELD episode that was all about stealing the power of the Gods but it wasn't in the better part of the first season so no one remembers it.

That was actually a great episode. Not a great tie-in with Thor 2, but a pretty cool look at how the Asgardian stuff is bleeding over into the normal world.

Habibi posted:

Sorry, I meant that as in, "Why do you think the high technology explanation for 'magic' is "bullshit?""

e: to expand, this is an old and established trope, formalized by Arthur C Clarke as "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." There's even an entire TNG episode devoted to it. Some of what we can do or almost do today would have been considered magic by the standards of even fifty years ago. So it just seems like an odd complaint - unless, as I guess you to some degree clarify, you would simply prefer a greater presence of actual, not super advanced technology masquerading as, magic, which is cool.

Yeah, you nailed it. It just feels like bullshit, and a way for the writers to say to the studio guys "it's not that weird, it's just super-advanced science, not magic. Audiences totally won't think we jumped the shark". It just feels like the safe move on their part. I find it funny that they go out of their way to explain this in the movie and yet I still hear people talking about Thor's "magic hammer" or Loki's "spells". I say embrace the magical bullshit and and the super-science bullshit in equal measure. Tony Stark builds suits that defy the laws of physics, and Thor is able to fly and summon lightning storms. Both are cool, but they look nothing alike to most people.

I have hope that with Dr. Strange and Iron Fist they will be embracing the weird mystical crap from the comics and I'm looking forward to it. Plus I believe Gunn confirmed that Adam Warlock's cocoon was in GotG so that would be fun to see as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

The Asgardians themselves seem to think of us as pet monkeys except Thor, so that's why they don't give us any cool tech despite us being virtually identical to them.

Well they live thousands of years and we live like, a hundred. So that might be why they think we are different. I mean, How old was Thor when Odin had to take his powers away and whip him into shape? How old is Loki while he's being a loving rear end in a top hat all the time? Sure people who are merely a few decades old can be trusted with any kind of technology.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

I have hope that with Dr. Strange and Iron Fist they will be embracing the weird mystical crap from the comics and I'm looking forward to it. Plus I believe Gunn confirmed that Adam Warlock's cocoon was in GotG so that would be fun to see as well.

It's not magic, it's just physics from another universe.

There, I just avoided magic really being magic so it fits with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's the lame explanation they can use if they want to when Doctor Strange and Iron Fist comes up.

Snak posted:

Well they live thousands of years and we live like, a hundred. So that might be why they think we are different. I mean, How old was Thor when Odin had to take his powers away and whip him into shape? How old is Loki while he's being a loving rear end in a top hat all the time? Sure people who are merely a few decades old can be trusted with any kind of technology.

Maybe if they gave us their awesome life extension technology we'd be able to build up thousands of years of perspective too. The jerks.

Loki: Throwing a "YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!" bitchfit for 1200 years.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It's not magic, it's just physics from another universe.

There, I just avoided magic really being magic so it fits with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's the lame explanation they can use if they want to when Doctor Strange and Iron Fist comes up.

Why would physics from another universe work in this universe? Or by "another universe" do you mean the MCU, because that works. Just call it magic, it's not like the audiences aren't already doing it. It's not a tough sell when you have the literal Norse pantheon as canon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dr. Strange is the most magical man of magic mans in the magical world of the marvel universe.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

Why would physics from another universe work in this universe?

Who knows? It's beyond mortal understanding. I'm just saying if they don't want to call it magic for whatever reason, it's easy to avoid it.

It's not really the literal Norse pantheon anyway. Germanic paganism is just fanfiction in this setting.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I thought this we pretty much settled in Thor 2 with Nat Portman talking about the Soul Siphon(?) or whatever just being a [*science thingy*] while they were examining her. Right before Odin calls her a goat.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Serf posted:

Yeah, you nailed it. It just feels like bullshit, and a way for the writers to say to the studio guys "it's not that weird, it's just super-advanced science, not magic. Audiences totally won't think we jumped the shark". It just feels like the safe move on their part. I find it funny that they go out of their way to explain this in the movie and yet I still hear people talking about Thor's "magic hammer" or Loki's "spells". I say embrace the magical bullshit and and the super-science bullshit in equal measure. Tony Stark builds suits that defy the laws of physics, and Thor is able to fly and summon lightning storms. Both are cool, but they look nothing alike to most people.
How are Asgardians billed in the comics? Are they magic or just super advanced?

I don't know, I guess I don't see it as a lazy copout, because in many aspects it takes a lot more work to maintain a "no no this is all just tech" explanation than just saying it's magic and calling it a day. If they do bring in the more mystical/magical poo poo that gets mentioned in here, I would probably enjoy the juxtapositions of real magic and tech magic.

e: I just realized that in the JL/JLU cartoons Asgardians are represented as, if not wholly than largely, magical, which I guess answers my first question. Though I suppose to cartoon didn't dwelve too heavily into those elements.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The magic-science boundary is really flimsy anyway since there's no reason you couldn't apply scientific methods to "magical" phenomena, unless they're inherently impossible to analyze. In which case they'd probably be almost impossible to utilize in a beneficial way anyway.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Habibi posted:

How are Asgardians billed in the comics? Are they magic or just super advanced?

I don't know, I guess I don't see it as a lazy copout, because in many aspects it takes a lot more work to maintain a "no no this is all just tech" explanation than just saying it's magic and calling it a day. If they do bring in the more mystical/magical poo poo that gets mentioned in here, I would probably enjoy the juxtapositions of real magic and tech magic.

e: I just realized that in the JL/JLU cartoons Asgardians are represented as, if not wholly than largely, magical, which I guess answers my first question. Though I suppose to cartoon didn't dwelve too heavily into those elements.

IIRC, Thor was originally a dude who found a magic staff and when he smacked it on the ground, he became Thor, so that seems pretty magic to me. I also remember Beta Ray Bill getting an equivalent that turns him back into his original Korbinite form, which I remember him finding pretty amazing despite being a cyborg beast-man space warrior from a dead galaxy.

And I don't think they do any work to maintain the super-tech explanation, so I don't see how it differs from just calling it magic. Jane Foster throws some technobabble at the Asgardians in Thor 2, but they just seem to shrug it off.

One cool thing about DC is that magic is totally a thing even in the mainline comics. Like straight-up one of Superman's weaknesses is "magic". There's magic in the Marvel stuff too, but recently it's been toned down or sidelined into its own thing. I think the biggest remaining representative of magic in main Marvel is Dr. Strange, and he's not even that big. Yet over in DC Wonder Woman is huge, and is an Amazonian warrior with a magic lasso and bracers.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

It also happened in the Ultimate Universe as well. Ultimate Thor was an environmental warrior who was cult worshipped as a Norse God, while most of the world viewed him as a nutcase with delusions of Godhood. The first volume played up the "is he really sane or not" angle quite well, only really answering the question in the final issues.

The US one would be a handgun that fires nuclear bullets painted with the stars and stripes but is only usable by the President because democracy.

Imagine how much easier our elections would be. Granted it would take some time to find candidates who were qualified to run, but once we were over that hurdle we would get a really great President.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dj_clawson posted:

Imagine how much easier our elections would be. Granted it would take some time to find candidates who were qualified to run, but once we were over that hurdle we would get a really great President.

No, no - I meant that being President is the criteria that allows you to use it, not being able to use it is the criteria to become President. Hence why I mentioned democracy being the thing that decided who used it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

dj_clawson posted:

Wasn't the moral of Thor 2 (inasmuch as it had one) basically "You have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to lead a nation" which is why Thor hosed off at the end? I thought that was funny given this was a Marvel movie.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Wasn't the moral of Thor 2 (inasmuch as it had one) basically "You have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to lead a nation" which is why Thor hosed off at the end? I thought that was funny given this was a Marvel movie.

I haven't seen two of the "canon" movies - the Edward Norton Hulk and Thor 2. I just know that Loki faked his death and became ruler in the end. It would be really great if we found out in Thor 3 that he's running the place and just doing an amazing job at it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

Dr. Strange is the most magical man of magic mans in the magical world of the marvel universe.
Even then I distinctly remember him saying in a comic in the 80's that his magic was "science that mankind hasn't discovered yet"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

dj_clawson posted:

I haven't seen two of the "canon" movies - the Edward Norton Hulk and Thor 2. I just know that Loki faked his death and became ruler in the end. It would be really great if we found out in Thor 3 that he's running the place and just doing an amazing job at it.

Well Asgard has interacted with TV stuff a couple of times since and it seems to at least be status quo so maybe Loki was just misunderstood and Thor really was massively under-qualified.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Well Asgard has interacted with TV stuff a couple of times since and it seems to at least be status quo so maybe Loki was just misunderstood and Thor really was massively under-qualified.

Or whatever, Loki's just really good at running poo poo. He's intelligent and a good schemer, so he could probably keep the peace and manage a kingdom without breaking a sweat. Certainly almost anyone could do it better than Odin did.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In Odin's defense he was actively looking to retire in both Thor movies so I guess he knew he was pretty burned out on it.

Back on topic: Apparently Matt Murdock was Jessica Jones' lawyer in the comics. Any chance of that happening in the show?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dj_clawson posted:

Or whatever, Loki's just really good at running poo poo. He's intelligent and a good schemer, so he could probably keep the peace and manage a kingdom without breaking a sweat. Certainly almost anyone could do it better than Odin did.

He's also extremely arrogant and self-centered, so is more likely to abuse a position of power, either deliberately or through callous misuse for self-indulgence. There's roughly zero chance he'll be shown to be a beneficent ruler of Asgard, even if he's shown to be good at scheming to get the throne.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
We all know you're just prejudiced against Frost Giants.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

He's also extremely arrogant and self-centered, so is more likely to abuse a position of power, either deliberately or through callous misuse for self-indulgence. There's roughly zero chance he'll be shown to be a beneficent ruler of Asgard, even if he's shown to be good at scheming to get the throne.

As long as he's Pro-Choice and anti-drone I'd vote for him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Loki has canonically used drones against his own citizens in the first Thor movie.

Also he's not even a real citizen of Asgard.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dj_clawson posted:

As long as he's Pro-Choice and anti-drone I'd vote for him.

Given the events of Avengers, he was for drones before he was against them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Loki has canonically used drones against his own citizens in the first Thor movie.

Also he's not even a real citizen of Asgard.

drat you Obama Laufeyson!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

nelson posted:

Please keep super hero shenanigans out of my street level vigilante story. The mystical kung fu ninja stuff is okay though because it's based on reality.

and what about the alias woman having super-powers but at the same time being street level as gently caress, what do you think of that

surc
Aug 17, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Just wait till Hercules gets introduced to the MCU right? Right? :smith:

Kevin Sorbo's getting a little old, I dunno if he could pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Kevin Sorbo will only appear if he can play a strawman atheist college professor who gets owned by all the much smarter religious people.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2015