Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One month until nWo Nightcap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

My favorite thing about WCW is that after it died they made Nitro a Raw main event featuring Booker T defending against Buff loving Bagwell and then everyone was confused and hated it, just like a real Nitro :unsmith:

Buff loving Bagwell in lazy-rear end WCW mode.
Apparently he arrived about 20 minutes before the bout was due to start.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So I googled Booker T and apparently he won a WWE Championship? Was that well received or not? Because while he was over in WCW, he wasn't THAT over and after 1998 or so he seemed to be way slower in the ring.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

1st AD posted:

So I googled Booker T and apparently he won a WWE Championship? Was that well received or not? Because while he was over in WCW, he wasn't THAT over and after 1998 or so he seemed to be way slower in the ring.

He won the Big Gold Belt, actually. This was during his time as King Booker, so it was kind of awesome.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Did he start holding up both hands and yelling SIX TIME! SIX TIME! or does that count as a different championship since it's in WWE?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I remember seeing that WCW site a while back and was sad to learn that I could no longer send an E-Card to my friends.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Under the vegetable posted:

Did he start holding up both hands and yelling SIX TIME! SIX TIME! or does that count as a different championship since it's in WWE?

This was post-coronation, so he simply held up his royal pinky to signify his greatness.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This was post-coronation, so he simply held up his royal pinky to signify his greatness.

ALL HAIL KING BOOKAAAAH

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

Booker T was awesome at all times, including his WWE run. His World Title reign was cool, he had Finlay and Regal as his Royal Court, he was a great heel, it was awesome.

TNA doesn't count because it doesn't loving exist. It never happened.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, Booker T ruled I don't know what you're talking about. King Bookah 4 life.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rotinaj posted:

TNA doesn't count because it doesn't loving exist. It never happened.

Then who was the Legends Champion?!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Was it in TNA where Booker started talking with an accent for no reason?

Not his King Booker accent.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Was it in TNA where Booker started talking with an accent for no reason?

Not his King Booker accent.

Then what KIND of accent?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I had to google it because I couldn't even remember. Maybe it is his King Booker accent? I haven't listened to his promos from that time in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0O7Q4p-c0

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He was doing a Last King of Scotland impersonation that was the worst.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Revelations! Goldberg/Hogan on free TV wasn't because Hogan wanted to prove he was a draw.

Turner executives went to WCW shows in Atlanta. A Turner exec asked Bischoff point blank how many people he's going to draw at the Georgia Dome next week and he blurted out 30,000. Bischoff called up WCW HQ and said that the main event next week is Goldberg/Hogan. JJ Dillon said "uh you can't do that, that's a PPV match" and Bischoff told him just do what I say dammit. They drew 40,000 and Hogan got a PPV payday for doing the Goldberg match on Nitro.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A question that may have been asked but after reading Death of WCW I'm curious about: If WWF had crumbled in 1996, due to the declining talent pool, the lawsuit and other issues, and WCW had taken over as the only Wrestling show in town, would the company still have eventually died out due to the multitude of issues that did eventually destroy it, or would the infusion of WWE talent, including writers and bookers I assume, have kept it afloat and still running to this day?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

OldTennisCourt posted:

A question that may have been asked but after reading Death of WCW I'm curious about : If WWF had crumbled in 1996, due to the declining talent pool, the lawsuit and other issues, and WCW had taken over as the only Wrestling show in town, would the company still have eventually died out due to the multitude of issues that did eventually destroy it, or would the infusion of WWE talent, including writers and bookers I assume, have kept it afloat and still running to this day?

I guess it depends on whether or not Ted Turner remained in power or the AOL Time Warner merger still happened.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

A question that may have been asked but after reading Death of WCW I'm curious about : If WWF had crumbled in 1996, due to the declining talent pool, the lawsuit and other issues, and WCW had taken over as the only Wrestling show in town, would the company still have eventually died out due to the multitude of issues that did eventually destroy it, or would the infusion of WWE talent, including writers and bookers I assume, have kept it afloat and still running to this day?

A world where WWF died in 1996 is one that likely looks similar to what we have today, except Nitro and Thunder are on instead of Raw and Smackdown.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Vince ends up going to work for Bischoff, politics his way up the ranks, becomes head booker instead of Russo, and when the AOL/Time Warner merger comes still buys the company out for a song.

In the end nothing changes except no XFL or Linda Senate runs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Scott Steiner never goes on to get banned from the hall of fame ceremony

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince ends up going to work for Bischoff, politics his way up the ranks, becomes head booker instead of Russo, and when the AOL/Time Warner merger comes still buys the company out for a song.

In the end nothing changes except no XFL or Linda Senate runs.

Vince talks Ted into buying the NFL, Jane into running.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

WCW goes strong for a little while, collapses under the weight of it's own incompetence/corporate disinterest. Vince assembles an ownership group similar to the alleged Bischoff/Fusient deal. Vince buys WCW, rebrands it as the WWF (since in this timeline, their collapse predates the World Wildlife Fund's lawsuit). Life goes on almost exactly like what you see today only with Vince having to answer to his corporate sponsors.

Edit: This would however likely prevent HHH's rise to power. So there's that.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 24, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ChrisBTY posted:

WCW goes strong for a little while, collapses under the weight of it's own incompetence/corporate disinterest. Vince assembles an ownership group similar to the alleged Bischoff/Fusient deal. Vince buys WCW, rebrands it as the WWF (since in this timeline, their collapse predates the World Wildlife Fund's lawsuit). Life goes on almost exactly like what you see today only with Vince having to answer to his corporate sponsors.

The origin story of Vince-Prime.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

The origin story of Vince-Prime.

We then get Vince's recon punches!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Revelations! Goldberg/Hogan on free TV wasn't because Hogan wanted to prove he was a draw.

Turner executives went to WCW shows in Atlanta. A Turner exec asked Bischoff point blank how many people he's going to draw at the Georgia Dome next week and he blurted out 30,000. Bischoff called up WCW HQ and said that the main event next week is Goldberg/Hogan. JJ Dillon said "uh you can't do that, that's a PPV match" and Bischoff told him just do what I say dammit. They drew 40,000 and Hogan got a PPV payday for doing the Goldberg match on Nitro.

That story doesn't add up as Bresloff was the source on the original story and thus knew how many people they were expecting before the match was booked which he gave to Hogan.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 24, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

That story doesn't add up as Bresloff was the source on the original story and thus knew how many people they were expecting before the match was booked which he gave to Hogan.

Are you implying that my source which said that Hogan was making a zillion dollars a show on Thunder in 1996 is wrong?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you implying that my source which said that Hogan was making a zillion dollars a show on Thunder in 1996 is wrong?

I'm saying I doubt the credibility of a murderer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I'm saying I doubt the credibility of a murderer.

That was never proven about Drew Peterson and you know it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro is on the air TONIGHT and EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT FROM NOW ON. That's right, we're moving to the final resting place of THUNDER.

Tonight's show:

Who is DDP bringing in to DELIVER THE BANG to Hogan and Rodman?

Lynn Denton vs Disco Inferno

Public Enemy vs Horace and SICK BOY

GOLDBERG VS RICK FULLER

Alex Wright vs Eddy Guerrero

Riggs vs Konnan

STEVIE RAY VS MONGO MOTY 1998

Chris Benoit vs Bret Hart

The Giant vs Kevin Greene

AND SO MUCH MORE!

Tune in at 7:30 for SOMETHING, 8 PM for Nitro and SSW after Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am so sad I missed that

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It's the most interesting thing to watch what WCW PPVs are already on the network while reading the Death of WCW. I wish they had all of the '99 Nitros archived already because those sound really trainwreck bad.

Dennis Rodman getting paid insane amounts of money and no-showing, white hummers being driven by Carmen Electra(citation needed), Jay Leno in the ring and a terrible Tonight Show Bischoff parody...man, the stuff dreams are made of.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's the most interesting thing to watch what WCW PPVs are already on the network while reading the Death of WCW. I wish they had all of the '99 Nitros archived already because those sound really trainwreck bad.

Dennis Rodman getting paid insane amounts of money and no-showing, white hummers being driven by Carmen Electra(citation needed), Jay Leno in the ring and a terrible Tonight Show Bischoff parody...man, the stuff dreams are made of.

We've just reached the Tonight Show stuff during Wednesday Nitro, I have been dreading these.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So did Kevin Sullivan just given up at this point or has Bischoff completely taken over booking? I'm not sure what the chronology is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would joke around and ask you if Bischoff is going to beat Jay Leno by having a referee count him out in an empty ring, but I know that the reality was worse.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
All I remember about that angle was Karl Malone and DDP wrestling in a tag match and Malone hitting a Diamond Cutter on someone.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

1st AD posted:

All I remember about that angle was Karl Malone and DDP wrestling in a tag match and Malone hitting a Diamond Cutter on someone.

Malone hit the Diamond Cutter on Curt Hennig during the Hogan/Goldberg title match on Nitro. Actually looked pretty good.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

DoctorDelaware posted:

Malone hit the Diamond Cutter on Curt Hennig during the Hogan/Goldberg title match on Nitro. Actually looked pretty good.

I loved when that happened. I know everybody says it was a terrible business decision but for a kid who never got to see PPVs, Goldberg beating Hogan was my greatest wrestling memory.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burt Buckle posted:

I loved when that happened. I know everybody says it was a terrible business decision but for a kid who never got to see PPVs, Goldberg beating Hogan was my greatest wrestling memory.

From a creative standpoint it was pretty weak too because that match had 4 days of build to the TV audience (and about as much internally.) We got no chase because people were panicking and the chase would have been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

From a creative standpoint it was pretty weak too because that match had 4 days of build to the TV audience (and about as much internally.) We got no chase because people were panicking and the chase would have been cool.

Didn't he crush Hall to "prove" he was worthy to face Hogan the week before (because apparently a hundred match winning streak doesn't cut it)? I swear that happened.