Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

the first one got about 5k and said that the game would be released in wint3er 2012... >_>;;;

Look man it costs a lot of time and money to put katakana subtitles on everything like it's a Final Fantasy article on wikipedia.

Realtalk tho I was pretty bummed to see Shnabubula helping them beg for scraps. He's way too good of a composer to work with a crew as disorganized as Americana Dawn.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the katakana subtitles are the most inappropriate thing considering that the game is about colonial america

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Look man it costs a lot of time and money to put katakana subtitles on everything like it's a Final Fantasy article on wikipedia.

Realtalk tho I was pretty bummed to see Shnabubula helping them beg for scraps. He's way too good of a composer to work with a crew as disorganized as Americana Dawn.

how would you feel if I told you that harmony of dissonance composer Soshiro Hokkai (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxs-WEFRJY) bothered to take a day off from drinking his sorrows away to make a song for the game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grandia 2 is good, right?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/acclaimed-dreamcast-rpg-grandia-ii-coming-to-steam/1100-6427252/

quote:

Grandia II for Steam is being remastered using the game's Dreamcast version, which was published in 2000. In addition to an HD visual upgrade, Grandia II on Steam will have both mouse and keyboard and gamepad support as well as Steam achievements and Trading Cards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grandia 2 is good. I'm also glad they're using the Dreamcast version instead of one of the completely hosed ports.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, Grandia 2 is pretty good. It's also very much a late 90s JRPG, but you're okay with that, right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Surprised they even found the assets and code to do that port, that's cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When are we getting a Skies PC port sega

Where's Skies

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, Grandia 2 is pretty good. It's also very much a late 90s JRPG, but you're okay with that, right?

Oh yeah definitely. Hope we get more JRPGs on Steam.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

When are we getting a Skies PC port sega

Where's Skies

This is the question that will never be answered to our satisfaction :sigh:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I am literally playing through Grandia 2 for the first time right now. It's a blast to play, and the story/characters are fun enough. Stoked to see the PC JRPG trend continue.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Oh, sweet. I remember buying Grandia 2 for ps2 after liking Grandia 1. Needless to say I played it for all of 30 minutes; maybe I can actually finish it this time!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Levantine posted:

This is the question that will never be answered to our satisfaction :sigh:

If they can get Grandia 2 to port over, there's some hope at least.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah definitely. Hope we get more JRPGs on Steam.

Falcom said some of their games have sold more on Steam than they did on Playstation. So you'd think JRPG developers have to start looking at Steam as an additional market, even if it's delayed.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
The Symphonia discussion was a couple pages ago but I'm just gonna put my two cents in and name it as one of my all time favorite RPGs. I've been a fan of JRPGs since I was about 9 years old and Symphonia was the only one I knew of on the GC so it made my day when I got it and it wasn't total garbage, and then the plot had its hooks in me from the first big twist on. Of course 90% of the acting and 70% of the writing are terrible but the plot outline was solid enough to keep me interested for over 100 hours and it's still the only game thus far that I've logged that much time in - not to mention the only JRPG wherein I have actually put the effort to beat the secret boss on the hardest difficulty

Secret boss spoilers: Abyssion is a loving chump if you know how to combo, it's really just a war of attrition because he has so much loving HP and you can only carry so many healing items.

ANYWAY to segue rather artlessly, I haven't played any other Tales games (and not that many other JRPGs really), can anyone recommend me one? I really liked Symphonia's combat and music, and I didn't think the story was too bad either so there's something to go on. I've also heard SMT and Persona are real good...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Xillia are probably your ideal if you liked Symphonia.

The main character of Abyss is a cock for the first ten hours or so, but he's meant to be, so don't let it get to you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Xillia are probably your ideal if you liked Symphonia.

The main character of Abyss is a cock for the first ten hours or so, but he's meant to be, so don't let it get to you.

He also gets rightfully poo poo upon by everyone else for being an rear end in a top hat too :allears:. If you want to try a Persona game, Persona 3 FES is where you should start. P3 Portable has better gameplay, but the 3d model cutscenes are reduced to Visual Novel still portraits, and it sounds like your more in it for the story.

Persona 4 is also an absolute gem and better in every regard. You can play either one first, there's no real continuity other than being in the same world.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The other characters in Abyss are much bigger assholes than Luke even at his worst.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

On a similar note, the "what is a JRPG" discussion a few pages back reminded me that I've never played a Tales game. If the series only had one game to impress me, which one would you recommend? I have the systems to play anything but but Vesperia, Xillia, and Zestiria.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Shame, Vesperia is hands-down my favorite Tales game. Maybe check out Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia in Japan or picky English-speaking circles), it had really fluid combat and was 2D rather than 3D. Being a PS1 title, it will, of course, be a little ghetto whenever it employs modeled effects.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Erebus posted:

Falcom said some of their games have sold more on Steam than they did on Playstation. So you'd think JRPG developers have to start looking at Steam as an additional market, even if it's delayed.
You underestimate how controlled by stodgy old men Japanese game companies are. New ideas take a looooong time in any company that's even slightly big.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is a new market and potential profit, but it isn't like putting games on steam would turn around a company's fortunes by itself.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I've been playing Mana Khemia and I really dig the fast paced and tag-team battle system. Any recommendations of games similar to it other than the sequel?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Grandia 2 is good. I'm also glad they're using the Dreamcast version instead of one of the completely hosed ports.

I remember my PC-version having a number of infuriating bugs, but what was wrong with the PS2-port? I forgot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I've been playing Mana Khemia and I really dig the fast paced and tag-team battle system. Any recommendations of games similar to it other than the sequel?
atelier escha and logy is by the same company has a somewhat similar combat system, though it's much less of a straight-up JRPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Microcline posted:

On a similar note, the "what is a JRPG" discussion a few pages back reminded me that I've never played a Tales game. If the series only had one game to impress me, which one would you recommend? I have the systems to play anything but but Vesperia, Xillia, and Zestiria.
abyss or symphonia probably

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Libluini posted:

I remember my PC-version having a number of infuriating bugs, but what was wrong with the PS2-port? I forgot.

Some bad lag in places and sometimes battles don't load textures. There's probably other issues but that's all I remember.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lovely early PS2 lack of any anti-aliasing made everything look jaggy as gently caress compared to the DC version too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Speaking of Persona 3, I'm playing it for the first time and just got Aegis. I usually level all my Persona characters equally but she seems pretty useless. Should I include her in the levelling cycle or not bother?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

il_cornuto posted:

Speaking of Persona 3, I'm playing it for the first time and just got Aegis. I usually level all my Persona characters equally but she seems pretty useless. Should I include her in the levelling cycle or not bother?

I'd say yes, because she has all types of Phys attacks and it frees up the Protagonist to play spellcaster more.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Aigis also learns a bunch of useful buffs and support skills. Her lack of elemental damage and limited selection of multi-target attacks mean she can't deal with large groups of regular enemies as fast as some other characters, but she's pretty good to have around in long boss fights.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Gust announced a new crossgen IP if anyone's interested.

EDIT: And to further spite ImpAtom NIS announced yet another Witch sequel.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 12, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Microcline posted:

I'm very much extrapolating from your exclusion list since it doesn't include Graces but if you happen to speak Japanese check out the PS2 Destiny remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Gust announced a new crossgen IP if anyone's interested.

EDIT: And to further spite ImpAtom NIS announced yet another Witch sequel.

Hey, maybe they'll make the gameplay in this one better. And the plot. And the graphics.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tired Moritz posted:

Mana Khemia and it's sequel are effectively the final form of a battle system that had been evolving from the three Atelier Iris games, also on PS2. If you don't mind the fact that you'll be essentially downgrading the battle system, go for those three games. The first one is effectively skippable, it's kinda rough around the edges and had no real idea what it wanted overall. The second one is one a lot of people like, but despite the third one being very sidequest oriented with the main plot taking a backseat, it's by far my favorite due to having a more evolved version of the battle system, getting it quite close to the level of the first Mana Khemia.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Tired Moritz posted:

They brought that battle system back for Atelier Shallie.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Radiant Historia for the DS is turn-based but it has a similarity to Mana Khemia inasmuch as there's a set turn order, you can manipulate it, and you can do combos with that. It also has moving enemies around on a grid to limit what they can do or make them take more damage. It's not exactly the same thing, but I enjoyed it.

wateyad posted:

They brought that battle system back for Atelier Shallie.
I thought 2 and Shallie were less exciting than 1, not so much because of the system but because of how well the first Mana Khemia used the system. Nearly every character has a cool thing they do with the battle system, like the guy whose abilities manipulate the turn cards (which is also used defensively since he can delete enemy time cards) and the girl who takes dozens of turns in a row. Also the growth system it had being based on making stuff was really cool, although MK1 had some weird balance issues were a few characters went long stretches of the game being unable to level because their progress was gated by an item you couldn't actually create yet.

I'd kill for more executions like it. Shallie is pretty good though, and it has a selectable difficulty mode to make the inevitable breaking of the game over your knee a little longer in coming. It's just not as good as the MK games. Like man, I want a 2.5D game with a system like MK pretty bad right now.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Nakar posted:

I thought 2 and Shallie were less exciting than 1, not so much because of the system but because of how well the first Mana Khemia used the system. Nearly every character has a cool thing they do with the battle system, like the guy whose abilities manipulate the turn cards (which is also used defensively since he can delete enemy time cards) and the girl who takes dozens of turns in a row.

Uh, MK2 and Shallie both also do this.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

wateyad posted:

Uh, MK2 and Shallie both also do this.
They're not as impactful. Roxis and Miruca don't even compare for example as there are just not enough enemy time cards for Miruca's deletion ability to be all that useful, it doesn't do anything else, and Miruca can't switch with other characters freely because most of her cards disappear if she leaves the front row (which is required when you're switching, so that's kind of an issue). And MK2 kinda spread everybody's skills a bit thin because there were more characters due to the two parties thing. Using a character in MK1 felt like you were fundamentally altering the rules of the game in their particular fashion with each character in the party, MK2/Shallie are a lot more whole-party focused and it's more about using everybody. There's not some huge noticeable difference in how Wilbell and Keithgriff operate in Shallie, for example; they play closer to the rules than the MK1 cast which more aggressively breaks them.

Arguably that makes it more balanced but MK2 had a number of broken characters anyway. Shallie's a bit better except for Jurie being ridiculously loving overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let's all instead talk about how atelier iris 2 is not a good game and that gray deserved to be in a better game than that

drat AI2 was boring as sin and also it softlocked on me because I completed a battle too quickly lmao