Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I was super excited about checking out the new Mazda3s today until I realized that unless you shell out for the top two packages you get a center mounted analog speedo and a tiny lovely digital tach.

I realize how nitpicky that is but gently caress if I've not completely lost interest. :unsmith:

Is the new Mazda2 not coming to the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SuperDucky posted:

I'd also like to personally thank the dude who uploaded this vinyl flac rip of the entire album in 2.8k kbps @96khz. I'll take your 1.15gb/song sizes and raise you a 3tb hdd, sir! :filez: :getin:

Resample to 16/44.1, anything else is a waste of space and resources.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

I was super excited about checking out the new Mazda3s today until I realized that unless you shell out for the top two packages you get a center mounted analog speedo and a tiny lovely digital tach.

I realize how nitpicky that is but gently caress if I've not completely lost interest. :unsmith:

Is the new Mazda2 not coming to the US?

Good question. You can at least get it as a Toyota. Or it probably is a Scion. I forgot what it's called.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddamn, another earthquake in Nepal, 80km from Kathmandu

They're even evacuating our IT guys in Kolkata from their offices now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The Mountain is Angry.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Liquid Communism posted:

The Mountain is Angry.

Quick, someone convince Tom Hanks to jump into a volcano.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
It's a strange experience, the first time you're looking at your boss, and he is just absolutely not getting a report you've created, for him, to understand "that insane wizardry" you've created (see: somewhat simple and horribly coded automated report in Excel using VBA lmao).

Then he tells you that he and a co-worker talked about it for half an hour and "pretty much have it figured out". The report.

Dude just walked into my office and had me explain my report to him. The thing that I created to dumb down and fully explain the thing I made for him.

I understand why engineers can become very antisocial.

:psyduck:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

The Mountain is Angry.

I thought it got rid of all the rich white people for this year?

Is it shorter than K2 yet?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:

Where the gently caress do you live? Half a mil gets you a hell of a nice house here, 100-150k will get you an older (60s-70s) home that needs a little bit of work in a decent neighborhood, or if you don't mind a long commute into Dallas, 150k gets you a brand new 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage a bit out of town (a friend of mine bought a brand new house that was about 1400 sq ft with a 2 car garage for $130k last year, though it's out in the boonies - which is fine, he works in the far northern suburbs of Dallas anyway, so his commute is only about 30 minutes).

The house I'm in now is about 20 years old, decent size (2300 sq ft, 2 car garage, 4 bed/2 bath), has fiber to the home (one of the first neighborhoods in TX to get fiber), and valued by the county at ~215k with the land (it's actually worth a bit more with the improvements we've done, could probably sell for 230k). This is considered an upper middle class subdivision. All it really needs to sell is a little updating (door knobs, light fixtures, bathroom fixtures, that kind of stuff - polished brass on everything just screams 90s).

I almost bought a house about 10 years ago for 80k; needed roof work, but was otherwise in good shape - just needed some updating. Older house (early 70s) with window ac units and central heat, nice neighborhood with tons of trees, seller was willing to pay closing costs and for an inspection, but the only loan I could qualify for was an ARM, and gently caress a bunch of that. IIRC it was a 3 bed/1 bath with a 1 car garage, around 1600 sq ft. With my luck it would have wound up being like kastein's house :v: except it was on a slab foundation instead of pier and beam.

This is the perk of living in the midwest, everybody else is too smart to live here which makes nice houses fairly cheap.

A year and a half ago, for $150k I got a 2,200 square foot house in an upscale neighborhood complete with a finished basement, a pool, a massive fenced-in backyard (with a flagpole at the back, wtf), sprinkler system, sunroom, 3bd-2.5 bath. It needs some updating (built in '81 and the double-pane windows are original) but it'd be a cool couple mil elsewhere.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And here i'm living in my 60k shoebox.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

There is a scary amount of people in this emergency room bent over with abdominal pain and those green bags they give you to barf in. I've counted 5 so far including the person I'm with.

I got taken the gently caress out a few weeks ago by this weird bout of gastroenteritis or whatever. Out both ends for several days, then gone like it was nothing.

When I got back to work, a few days later my coworkers' kids came down with it. Then the coworkers. Then the coworkers' spouses.

Whatever this is is going around, I guess?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 12, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma X posted:

Quick, someone convince Tom Hanks to jump into a volcano.

Someday we'll send a copy of Catch Me If You Can back in time and his accent in that film will be enough to get him chucked into a volcano for real.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

some texas redneck posted:

Where the gently caress do you live?

Try looking for housing near Boston. We live in Watertown MA now (up the road from where the Marathon bomber was shot! :v:) and what we pay in rent for a 2br 1b apartment would get you a $350k house just about anywhere else. If you want a 1br condo in the area, come with 300. If you want a detached house, come with 600. If you want a nice detached house, show up with a mil. No shortage of buyers at those prices either, so don't expect to negotiate down much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

It's a strange experience, the first time you're looking at your boss, and he is just absolutely not getting a report you've created, for him, to understand "that insane wizardry" you've created (see: somewhat simple and horribly coded automated report in Excel using VBA lmao).

Then he tells you that he and a co-worker talked about it for half an hour and "pretty much have it figured out". The report.

Dude just walked into my office and had me explain my report to him. The thing that I created to dumb down and fully explain the thing I made for him.

There's definitely a skill in explaining anything computer related to people who don't understand computers.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

angryhampster posted:

Morning View was a great album, but I loved (and still love) SCIENCE. It's in my Maxima's CD changer now. The whole thing is just :catdrugs:

This is my last week on 2nd shift. Tonight I celebrate with a Stone limited release Barleywine and too many tortilla chips.

I love stone brewing. Science is loving sweet. Incubus is coming to Atlanta in August, you're a good dude.

KozmoNaut posted:

Resample to 16/44.1, anything else is a waste of space and resources.
You can have space efficiency over my cold, dead RAID5

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

thank mr. skeltal

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mother loving physical therapy. Is it too late to go back home and nap for the rest of the day?

e. My physical therapist is awesome -- I had trouble making appointments, so she's been sneaking me in during cancellations. Unfortunately, that means PT at 8 AM sometimes. I'm walking without a cane now, though, so I guess it's worth it?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty much. When you have to make a dumbed down report to explain the already dumbed down version you start to question things. What is logical to an engineer is loving magic to a lot of people. On the other hand there's all sorts of poo poo I look at and wonder wtf while others can explain it and make me look like an idiot. This is also why I'm learning the linux sys admin side of things, our admins make my head spin sometimes.

Safety Dance posted:

Mother loving physical therapy. Is it too late to go back home and nap for the rest of the day?

e. My physical therapist is awesome -- I had trouble making appointments, so she's been sneaking me in during cancellations. Unfortunately, that means PT at 8 AM sometimes. I'm walking without a cane now, though, so I guess it's worth it?
Worth it if you're improving. I've always detested physical therapy. Sure it works most of the time and they know wtf they're doing but you will hate them 99% of the time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Have you actually driven it? I've put a few miles on my sister-in-law's 2014 Mazda3 and the digital tach really isn't that much of an issue.

:smuggo: Besides, you should be able to shift without watching the tach.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

NitroSpazzz posted:

Worth it if you're improving. I've always detested physical therapy. Sure it works most of the time and they know wtf they're doing but you will hate them 99% of the time.

Broke my arm when I was 9. Physical therapist caught me by surprise and tried to YANK my arm straight against a table. I punched her in the mouth while, according to my mom, "speaking in tongues or some poo poo"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I got taken the gently caress out a few weeks ago by this weird bout of gastroenteritis or whatever. Out both ends for several days, then gone like it was nothing.

When I got back to work, a few days later my coworkers' kids came down with it. Then the coworkers. Then the coworkers' spouses.

Whatever this is is going around, I guess?

I was out for a weekend with it. My daughter had strep throat all weekend. Yeah, there's something or multiple things going around and it all sucks.

iwentdoodie posted:

Broke my arm when I was 9. Physical therapist caught me by surprise and tried to YANK my arm straight against a table. I punched her in the mouth while, according to my mom, "speaking in tongues or some poo poo"

I would imagine "gently caress you you loving gently caress!" counts as speaking in tongues!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

In the ongoing saga of the roomie drama, he's taking back Cheaty McDickTick. She cried rape and he believed it enough to give her another shot :rolleyes:

Sigh. Whatever. His life, his choices. Told him I don't want her around, she's not welcome, and that I don't want to see her, speak to her, or even acknowledge her presence. He wants to give her another chance, that's his decision. I'll be here if he needs anything but he's on his own when it comes to that gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

In the ongoing saga of the roomie drama, he's taking back Cheaty McDickTick. She cried rape and he believed it enough to give her another shot :rolleyes:

Sigh. Whatever. His life, his choices. Told him I don't want her around, she's not welcome, and that I don't want to see her, speak to her, or even acknowledge her presence. He wants to give her another chance, that's his decision. I'll be here if he needs anything but he's on his own when it comes to that gently caress.

:catstare: Time to move, eh?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Time to move, eh?

Already working on that, believe me :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T1g4h posted:

Awwwww she was just practicing how to give BJs on some other guy so that it would be better for your roommate! :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

T1g4h posted:

I'm sorry but your roomie is dumber than a bowl of mice.

:(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Awwwww she was just practicing how to give BJs on some other guy so that it would be better for your roommate! :v:

:lol:

It's not cheating, it's gaining valuable experience! :v:

88h88 posted:

I'm sorry but your roomie is dumber than a bowl of mice.

:(

The thing that bugs me more than anything is that this exact thing has happened to him before. He even said she gives him the same vibe as one of his other cheating whore exes. Like, he's been in this same loving situation and knows how that turned out :(

He even cited one of my previous relationships and was like "Look at you and (girl), you took her back." To which I replied "Yeah, and she hosed me over again and I spent like a good year of my life in pure misery and now I don't even speak to her. Look how that turned out!"

I dunno man. He has to make his own mistakes and he's not gonna listen to me or anyone else. I'll be here for him if and when he needs, but I made my feelings on her and this situation perfectly clear and wished him good luck with it all. Dude's one of the few close friends I have left, I don't want to see him get hosed over again but I can't very well force him to not do this :sigh:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you actually driven it? I've put a few miles on my sister-in-law's 2014 Mazda3 and the digital tach really isn't that much of an issue.

:smuggo: Besides, you should be able to shift without watching the tach.

I haven't driven one yet, and I've driven a few manual vehicles with no tach just fine, it's just a stylistic pet peeve I have. Honda got it right with their analog tach and digital speed readout.

Chevrolet got it right on the Sonic but wrong on the Spark. :psyduck:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

T1g4h posted:

The thing that bugs me more than anything is that this exact thing has happened to him before. He even said she gives him the same vibe as one of his other cheating whore exes. Like, he's been in this same loving situation and knows how that turned out :(

He even cited one of my previous relationships and was like "Look at you and (girl), you took her back." To which I replied "Yeah, and she hosed me over again and I spent like a good year of my life in pure misery and now I don't even speak to her. Look how that turned out!"

I dunno man. He has to make his own mistakes and he's not gonna listen to me or anyone else. I'll be here for him if and when he needs, but I made my feelings on her and this situation perfectly clear and wished him good luck with it all. Dude's one of the few close friends I have left, I don't want to see him get hosed over again but I can't very well force him to not do this :sigh:

Sometimes, all you can is warn people of a mistake. It's not until they experience the consequences that they actually learn anything (and even then it can take a few times).

In other news:

Yard progress! The whole backyard has been graded and now it's time to remove all of the track marks, small divots, smooth everything out and bring all of the rocks and branches to the surface. They have specialized machines for this, but why would I spend money on renting one of those when I can just as easily lash 4 logs together and tow it behind a backhoe?

There is one issue with doing it this way, this will bring all of the rocks and twigs and poo poo to the surface but I have no way of gathering all of that poo poo up without getting out and picking it up by hand. I've got some ideas bouncing around about how to pick that stuff up, but we'll see what happens.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 12, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Road course with World Racing League.

Whoops, can't help you then - the WRL race on the weekend of the 30th is at Texas World Speedway near College Station, not Texas Motor Speedway outside of Fort Worth. About 200 miles difference, there. TMS is the NASCAR and Indycar track, and that's the one I'm near.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My landrover has somehow passed its MOT test today first time with only one advisory:

:britain:

I thought that it was actually leaking less now than it ever has before. I think he may have just put that on to make up for not having anything else to pick on (I usually get a list)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

My landrover has somehow passed its MOT test today first time with only one advisory:

:britain:

I thought that it was actually leaking less now than it ever has before. I think he may have just put that on to make up for not having anything else to pick on (I usually get a list)
:toot:

I once heard of someone failing a Landie on "Handbrake mechanism not connected to rear axle"...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

:toot:

I once heard of someone failing a Landie on "Handbrake mechanism not connected to rear axle"...

Yeah, doesn't surprise me!

This tester is sound and fails me for things that I deserve to fail for.

He used to be a lot stricter on brake adjustment imbalance and handbrake efficiency but mellowed after I paid him one year to fix the brake adjustment after he failed it and he found it a PITA too (and he has a garage, a set of brake rollers and a tapley meter vs my gravel car park covered in skid marks).

I think his chassis poking arm is also getting weaker now. I noticed a likely looking scab on the centre x-member behind the gearbox at the weekend and haven't had a fail for it which has surprised me. I shall probably crawl under and poke it myself now..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shampoo posted:

Try looking for housing near Boston. We live in Watertown MA now (up the road from where the Marathon bomber was shot! :v:) and what we pay in rent for a 2br 1b apartment would get you a $350k house just about anywhere else. If you want a 1br condo in the area, come with 300. If you want a detached house, come with 600. If you want a nice detached house, show up with a mil. No shortage of buyers at those prices either, so don't expect to negotiate down much.

Goddamn. You can get a cheap 1 bedroom condo here for 10% of that. Yes, 30k. I've seen them go for less, even.

It'll be in the ghetto of the ghetto, but it'll be yours. An older one in a decent area starts around 60k.

CornHolio posted:

This is the perk of living in the midwest, everybody else is too smart to live here which makes nice houses fairly cheap.

A year and a half ago, for $150k I got a 2,200 square foot house in an upscale neighborhood complete with a finished basement, a pool, a massive fenced-in backyard (with a flagpole at the back, wtf), sprinkler system, sunroom, 3bd-2.5 bath. It needs some updating (built in '81 and the double-pane windows are original) but it'd be a cool couple mil elsewhere.

Very nice. Though I wouldn't count Texas (at least DFW) as the midwest. But it does sit right at the tail end of tornado alley, so you're going to need a new roof or new fence now and then.

We have the original double pane windows as well, and most of them need replacement (most have fogged to some extent). That'll be fun, especially with the alarm system and recessed contacts for it (most of which have had to be replaced as well, at least the builders left enough slack to pull the old contacts out and attach new ones). I'm pretty surprised to hear that a house from 81 has double paned windows, single pane was the norm back then, wasn't it? I've lived in places built in the late 80s/early 90s with single pane..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 12, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phb0uF2sPQ

MCM are finally testing their new Mad Max S15 :getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phb0uF2sPQ

MCM are finally testing their new Mad Max S15 :getin:

gently caress Top Gear, the last episodes of MCM and Roadkill have utterly blown it away

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

gently caress Top Gear, the last episodes of MCM and Roadkill have utterly blown it away

um excuse me sir, you're not allowed to talk poorly about top gear because it is some irl lol stuff ok sir

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm looking at a dead man, a dead man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

I haven't driven one yet, and I've driven a few manual vehicles with no tach just fine, it's just a stylistic pet peeve I have. Honda got it right with their analog tach and digital speed readout.

Chevrolet got it right on the Sonic but wrong on the Spark. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's not ideal, but it does respond quickly. That said I couldn't stand the Civic's dash for more than the week I had one as a rental; the split arrangement is just too wonky for me. They got the CR-V just fine though, analog across the board.

And yeah, the Sonic's dashboard is a slick little setup. Shame the rest of the car probably isn't all that good.

• Locked thread