Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Sorry, the only obsolete dinosaurs crawling down the road in my neck of the woods are in cars.

Because your DRZ doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Because your DRZ doesn't work?

I appreciate the effort, but this doesn't make sense. :sigh:

ought ten posted:

Last week I saw a tortoise that might have had its back half crushed. I was too horrified to stop. Sorry for being a bad person and rider. You can have my bikes if you want.

Next time run over the front end to put it out of its misery.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Poor thing was about 2 feet across, I think it would have invoked Newton's 3rd law. I did think seriously about going back to finish it off, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to cleanly kill a tortoise with a knife.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's harder than you think and they fight to the bitter end. The one time I nearly fainted was when I started empathizing with a snapper that my friend killed by stabbing it in the neck with a leather man over the course of 25-30 minutes. Fucker fought hard and was still snapping 2 in sticks they were distracting him with before he died.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

It's harder than you think

Thanks to the miracle of random web surfing, I JUST figured out who your av is.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Marv Hushman posted:

You should watch An Idiot Abroad, it is amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Now you can laugh with the rest of us.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
In my experience, the easiest way to move a snapper across the road is to hit it with a stick until it bites on and then pull/toss. Repeat as needed.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EX250 Type R posted:

In my experience, the easiest way to move a snapper across the road is to hit it with a stick until it bites on and then pull/toss. Repeat as needed.

Or just pick it up. It's a snapper. They're not flexible creatures.

e: If you don't know what you're doing then you might just lose a finger/hand. So for most people a stick is probably better :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

EX250 Type R posted:

Also the way to expose its neck for an extended leatherman stab party!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

It's harder than you think and they fight to the bitter end. The one time I nearly fainted was when I started empathizing with a snapper that my friend killed by stabbing it in the neck with a leather man over the course of 25-30 minutes. Fucker fought hard and was still snapping 2 in sticks they were distracting him with before he died.

gently caress dude, was he using the pliers?!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Someone fishing for bass had it hooked and it was about 2.5 foot or so and a beast. My buddy asked if he could have it and they said yeah but they only had it hooked. We didn't have a pistol cause it was a little community lake and the biggest knife was the big blade on a leatherman.

They kept trying to pull its head and neck out by the hook but those fuckers are strong and it kept fighting back, and my buddy was apprehensive so he was trying to get on it without getting bit. Let's just say he missed vital stabs many many times and I had to go lay down by the lakeside cause that bastard fought strong enough to deserve his life but he wasn't going to keep it. He was bleeding like a motherfucker and still fighting like the start. Kids came around and were pestering him with sticks while this was going on and he was snapping em like he'd snap your forearm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
On a lighter note I took a nice ride!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Does your buddy also torture cats in his spare time?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Marxalot posted:

Or just pick it up. It's a snapper. They're not flexible creatures.

e: If you don't know what you're doing then you might just lose a finger/hand. So for most people a stick is probably better :v:

The smaller ones I will just boot out of the road but the big bite-off-half-your-foot sons of bitches get the stick

Backov posted:

Does your buddy also torture cats in his spare time?

They get pretty loud so its not really a hobby compatible with city life

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Welp, looks like my bike isn't getting a good jump, time to pull the battery inside after work tonight and charge it. :( have to take the car today.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Looks like Victory is going to take a stab at the Isle Man TT with an electric bike.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/12/8589315/victory-electric-race-motorcycle-isle-of-man-tt

One of the comments in that article points out that Polaris bought Brammo Bikes back in January and probably made this possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That is indeed one of the Brammo race bikes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Flikken posted:

Welp, looks like my bike isn't getting a good jump, time to pull the battery inside after work tonight and charge it. :( have to take the car today.

I took the car today too. I'm not going to make the same mistake that I did last summer of leaving my car in the garage for 6 months until I have to buy a new battery. The poor thing needs to be driven every once in a while.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Arghhh. It's a beautiful day for a ride and I threw my neck out this morning and now I can't ride.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I passed the MSF over the weekend and took my first by myself ride yesterday for about 50 miles. Was quite possibly the best thing ever.

That's my story.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

ninmeister posted:

I passed the MSF over the weekend and took my first by myself ride yesterday for about 50 miles. Was quite possibly the best thing ever.

That's my story.

I took the MSF 12 years ago, going for a ride is STILL the best thing ever.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ninmeister posted:

That's my story.

I still remember my first ride home with my new bike. The streets were empty and the night air was just cold enough to sting when I got into the 50s. It was a loving Holy experience.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ninmeister posted:

That's my story.

If it were any shorter, it'd be a haiku. That's a good thing. You're to be commended for not invoking freedom, the old west, self-actualization, self-reliance, zen, death, minimalism, wind, wolves, the edge, the road(s) less traveled, James Dean, Lawrence of Arabia, George Orwell, and Love & Rockets.

[coming from someone who invoked pretty much all of these things, except for the wolves]

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There was no Seafoam in the garage and the stone floor was heaped with the scalped and naked and partly stripped screws of some four carburetors who'd barricaded themselves between the smoldering embers of the engine and the great sleeping airbox, so pale with dust like shades of figures erased upon a board.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marv Hushman posted:

[coming from someone who invoked pretty much all of these things, except for the wolves]

You need to work on that. Might I suggest this?

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm the guy in the white beard on the shirt.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

captainOrbital posted:

There was no Seafoam in the garage and the stone floor was heaped with the scalped and naked and partly stripped screws of some four carburetors who'd barricaded themselves between the smoldering embers of the engine and the great sleeping airbox, so pale with dust like shades of figures erased upon a board.

Clearly, the writers outnumber the photographers on CA and should be rewarded with a thread that encourages long form self-indulgence.

Ripoff posted:

You need to work on that.

I've never understood the connection between motorcycles and default iconography. Isn't there some point where the lack of originality triggers a gag reflex? And the poor graphic artists...there has to be a high suicide rate among them in this realm. I mean, after the fourth time dealing with an HD marketing rep who insists that an eagle is NOT OPTIONAL!!!!!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh I have some long form self indulgence coming. Do I ever. You're all going to suffer through my florid prose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Oh I have some long form self indulgence coming. Do I ever. You're all going to suffer through my florid prose.

Motorcycle madlibs for all your navel gazing needs.

My engine insert italics insert bold.

shrieked
Purred
Moaned
Screamed
Groaned
Whined
Shuddered
Inhaled
Rumbled
Grumbled
Mumbled
Whirred
Squeeled
Blared
Chortled
Whaled
Murmured
Roared
Stopped

to A halt
To Life
Like a cat
Violently
And I had to lay'er down
Because it is Italian/British/Japanese/poo poo

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks like the local Triumph/KTM/Zero shop is doing trackdays with demo bikes. $190 per day, and you can try out a 1290 super duke, RC390, daytona 675 or Zero SR at the Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton. June 8th or August 30th. I'm gonna try to head to one. Hopefully I get my fork springs and shock swapped out by then.

Im headed out to that too. Pm me if you make it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

You beat my "it's the question thread when z3n responds joke", you jerk

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

It appears my SuperDuke troubles have, hopefully, come to an end for now.

Quick recap since my original posts were many pages ago: after taking the SDR out from winter storage it quickly developed oil pressure troubles. Hauled to service, the service guys (the one which did most of the work is actually a really sweet young lady) determined the oil pressure regulator piston was stuck due to a manufacturing defect. Waiting for parts and time to actually do the repairs ensued. Bike still under warranty.

So, now I have the bike back and running as good as ever. It turned out that they had to basically take apart the entire motor and lubrication system, from pistons to cams to valves. All the relevant parts were okay, but they had to replace seals all over. They measured the compression (and power on the dyno), everything checks out.

That not being enough, they also found out that I've the unfortunate distinction of having one of those early 1290s that suffer from the same leaky air filter issue as some 1190 Adventures. This had possibly contributed to the oil pressure regulator troubles. Apparently KTM could never identify which VINs were affected so no recall was issued. :shrug: That's part of the reason they ended up checking the pistons and heads so thoroughly. There's now a new airbox with a tighter fit and better seals.

I saw the work breakdown list, the total work done was on the order of 25 hours. :stare:

Everything is documented anyway now, and I was assured that any further engine troubles would be considered part of this warranty issue even if they occurred years down the road. (EU consumer legislation works that way in any case, a manufacturer has liability for manufacturing defects for the entire "reasonable life" of the product.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This leads me to believe KTM are like That Guy who'd rather spend three grand rebuilding his engine when it blows up down the line instead of spending $100 an oil change every year to prevent it blowing up to start with.

Alternatively: KTM are like GM and have calculated that it's cheaper/easier to make bikes with a possibility of defect and rely on the service network to fix things later, rather than just test things and make poo poo properly before releasing a new model.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I dont know that there is a possibility of building a bike on a production scale that has no defects. Looks like KTM took good care of him.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

http://pchipsta.tumblr.com/

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 13, 2015

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

bird cooch posted:

I dont know that there is a possibility of building a bike on a production scale that has no defects. Looks like KTM took good care of him.

Yeah, the only thing I'm not real happy with is the amount of time all this took and that they didn't offer any sort of compensation for that (a loaner bike or something, like I'd've gotten a loaner if it was my car under warranty repair). I have neither any real reservations about the quality of the work itself, nor any reason to doubt the service won't handle any followups properly.

KTM is basically still a small manufacturer (that has had to grow rather a lot in recent years), and their heritage remains largely from the two-stroke MX side. It's a bit different making a 2t dirtbike which is expected to have shitloads of gunk everywhere and to require rebuilds every 500km, from making a 180hp state-of-the-art roadbike and they obviously still have things to learn quality-control-wise. If this is the price of their not being a Honda I can live with it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLxGFLpOl0

If that could go more than 25 MPH someone with a more interesting life than me could make sick videos for me to watch.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BlackLaser posted:

If that could go more than 25 MPH someone with a more interesting life than me could make sick videos for me to watch.
Google "quadcopter racing".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLxGFLpOl0

I can't wait until the first time some base jumper tosses one off a cliff having forgotten to turn it on.

This is the best thing.

nsaP posted:

You beat my "it's the question thread when z3n responds joke", you jerk

:toot:

rmdx posted:

Yeah, the only thing I'm not real happy with is the amount of time all this took and that they didn't offer any sort of compensation for that (a loaner bike or something, like I'd've gotten a loaner if it was my car under warranty repair). I have neither any real reservations about the quality of the work itself, nor any reason to doubt the service won't handle any followups properly.

KTM is basically still a small manufacturer (that has had to grow rather a lot in recent years), and their heritage remains largely from the two-stroke MX side. It's a bit different making a 2t dirtbike which is expected to have shitloads of gunk everywhere and to require rebuilds every 500km, from making a 180hp state-of-the-art roadbike and they obviously still have things to learn quality-control-wise. If this is the price of their not being a Honda I can live with it.

Glad to hear it got sorted out with minimal issues and long term support - I need to do a valve adjust on mine and change the oil/tires for the trackday :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

Im headed out to that too. Pm me if you make it.

I'm gonna sign up for the august one. It lands on a Sunday and there's a better chance for clear weather.

Edit: slot bought for Aug 30, hope I don't yard sale my bike before then!

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 14, 2015