Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

Yeah I think this is the most important bit. What made me think of it was my parents. Seems like every time I visit, I'll notice something like "hey, your belt squeals a bit at startup, you should look at the belt and tensioner" and they look at me like I'm crazy because it's not broken yet. When my dad gave me his truck, I had to do a bunch to it. Brakes, an oozing axle seal, bushings, tires, clutch hydraulics, steering rebuild... it's not that it suddenly started having problems as soon as the title had my name on it instead of his, it's just that I noticed them and decided to fix them instead of continuing to drive it like he would have for who knows how long.

I honestly look up to you on a profound level. You broke out o your parent's lazy ways and learned to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicles. That's a huge thing to do. People like yourself are responsible for making things better. If you'd been born into North Korea's royal bloodline, maybe it wouldn't be a third-world shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
As a mechanical person I think I suffer from a lot of false positives. Particularly with suspension. Like you're trying to track down a noise and spot some ball joint boots that look old and worn and then suddenly you have a shopping cart with $500+ dollars of suspension parts at your favourite online store.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Am I being dumb or is something funky going on? My first thought was "That's not a Cadillac, that's a Yukon or something." I posted it to FB and a (opinionated, jerk) of a friend is like, "Uh, GM uses the same bodies across different platforms so yeah they're basically the same thing."

But I feel like it's more of someone took a Suburban or something and slapped some Cadillac badges on it. It just doesn't look right. Then again, maybe it's a beat to hell Cadillac with some poo poo aftermarket taillights and I'm just a doof :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

First generation Escalades were a far cry from the gaudy tackmobiles we see today.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

QuarkMartial posted:

Am I being dumb or is something funky going on? My first thought was "That's not a Cadillac, that's a Yukon or something." I posted it to FB and a (opinionated, jerk) of a friend is like, "Uh, GM uses the same bodies across different platforms so yeah they're basically the same thing."

But I feel like it's more of someone took a Suburban or something and slapped some Cadillac badges on it. It just doesn't look right. Then again, maybe it's a beat to hell Cadillac with some poo poo aftermarket taillights and I'm just a doof :v:

The 99 and 2000 Escalades looked like that - but that one has aftermarket tailights. They looked almost exactly like the GMC Yukon on this first generation. Both have the piece of trim at the bottom of the tailgate just like this one does.

The Cadillac badge there is in the wrong place - it's supposed to be smaller, and the word "Escalade" are at the bottom right on a real one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Safety Dance posted:

First generation Escalades were a far cry from the gaudy tackmobiles we see today.

Oh wow. That's a lot closer looking than I ever imagined.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Those taillights look like GMT400 Suburban, which is before the first gen Escalade (GMT800)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

VAG's maintenance monstrosity has been reborn with 4 more cylinders. Chains are up against the firewall as god intended.

I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a 2016+ A8 with this engine for a steal in 5 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucksakes.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Tekne posted:

VAG's maintenance monstrosity has been reborn with 4 more cylinders. Chains are up against the firewall as god intended.

I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a 2016+ A8 with this engine for a steal in 5 years.

No they're not, look at the flywheel mount at the bottom of the picture.

That said, those chains are still going to give service writers a priapism when one comes in on a flatbed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

No they're not, look at the flywheel mount at the bottom of the picture.

That said, those chains are still going to give service writers a priapism when one comes in on a flatbed.

Yes they are, look at the shape of the valve cover in the top pic.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Those taillights look like GMT400 Suburban, which is before the first gen Escalade (GMT800)

They were identical to the Denali in almost every way.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Stock. Could be the one you saw was just tarted a real one up with oogly tail lights and an oversized wreath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

Yes they are, look at the shape of the valve cover in the top pic.

I agreed with the previous poster, read your post, scrolled back up, and started laughing out loud.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Tekne posted:

A W12?

I don't get what the groove looking things in the cam bearing surfaces are for.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The grooves on the right are supposedly for deactivation.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Joe Mama posted:

I annoy the poo poo out of my girlfriend with my "Why the gently caress is the space-saver on the driving axle" tirades.

What I've been noticing a lot lately are the leftovers from some dipshit driving on a low profile tire flat or mostly flat until the tread portion of the tire basically gets cut loose from it's sidewalls. Just drive along the highways and ramps and you'll eventually come across a sad, lonely tread abandoned by it's sidewall parents.

Are these not truck retreads?

fakeaccount posted:

I honestly look up to you on a profound level. You broke out o your parent's lazy ways and learned to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicles. That's a huge thing to do. People like yourself are responsible for making things better. If you'd been born into North Korea's royal bloodline, maybe it wouldn't be a third-world shithole.

I think this is just due to being a car guy with mechanical intuition, and my dad is really not. He's more of an "A->B driving appliance" and "ignore stuff until it breaks" kind of person, and I'm the opposite. :shrug:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My next car is gonna be a loving Honda.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spog posted:

As I waited at a roundabout, a large black Range Rover with added bling pulled up alongside me.

It had a weeny spacesaver that didn;t look big enough to hold the weight of the car at standstill, let along moving.

Sure enough, as I predicted, he floored it round the corner and straight up to 77mph.
Too bad he didn't go the extra 11MPH so you could see some serious poo poo.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Raluek posted:

Are these not truck retreads?

I watched someone in a Jetta get the full force of a retread blowing out while they were mere feet from it the other day. I have no idea what kind of damage it did but they pulled over immediately dragging a pile of tire pieces with them.

If for no other reason than this, don't tailgate trucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

My next car is gonna be a loving Honda.

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nmfree posted:

Too bad he didn't go the extra 11MPH so you could see some serious poo poo.

Iunno, diff failures aren't as exciting to see as they are to hear.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

Honda can't make a transmission, Toyotas are impossible to work on and full of internet car forum social stigma, Mazdas rust, and I don't know, has Nissan done anything since 2003?

Speaking of Nissans and donuts, I saw an Altima last weekend with one on the front right weaving through traffic. I was doing 80 and they passed me like it was nothing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FogHelmut posted:

Honda can't make a automatic transmission

Their manuals are fine, and only certain auto boxes stuck.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tekne posted:

The grooves on the right are supposedly for deactivation.

It's Audi's variable valve lift system.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Nissan already pushed right through into American car territory with the 2.5L and the magic exploding 5 speed autos

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Throatwarbler posted:

It's Audi's variable valve lift system.

That looks just great. Imagine when one individual actuator fails - one cylinder running on one cam profile, and others not. Just imagine troubleshooting THAT.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sitting at a stoplight this morning I look over to the left and think I see smoke. Keep watching, yep, smoke. Smoke shouldn't be coming out of the hood on a Toyota van, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depends.. was the smoke from grilling burgers?

Because I'd be down for that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The first Escalade was at the very tail end of the GMT400 platform. Honestly not sure why they even bothered. I wish I had a cameraphone ~13 years ago; at the job I had at the time, we had a regular customer who drove what was clearly an early GMT400 Suburban that they were trying to convert into an Escalade. In the year I worked there I never saw it progress beyond "primer and exposed bondo".

Also, post more pictures dammit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Sitting at a stoplight this morning I look over to the left and think I see smoke. Keep watching, yep, smoke. Smoke shouldn't be coming out of the hood on a Toyota van, right?

This reminded me of something that happened last week:
Dring home from work I smell something straight up awful like burning tar,
since they are doing construction near work, I though maybe it was that.
It got worse and worse as I drove, I looked ahead for the normal looking shitbox that had been turned into an oilburner due to neglect.
Nope..
A decent looking 5 year old Lincoln suv in front of me is slightly emitting a bit of smoke from the engine bay. I dind't follow for much longer but really wanted to see when it was going to catch full on fire. I can't imagine what it smelled like in the cabin considering I was behind it with my windows up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I once drove over a freshly tarred road on my bike and got that poo poo caked on everywhere. It smoked and smelled from getting heated up by the engine for a long time.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I saw a guy in a 00's Cadillac CTS with like a 1 inch tree in his trunk yesterday. He had his hazards on and kept pulling over to the side of the road to let people pass him because he was going like 20 mph. Part of the tree was dragging on the ground (and bouncing up and down, grinding the tree even more into the road.)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Didnt vw decide to integrate a turbocharger into the head of one of their new 4-cyl engines also recently?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

0toShifty posted:

That looks just great. Imagine when one individual actuator fails - one cylinder running on one cam profile, and others not. Just imagine troubleshooting THAT.

...so, the same as any Honda VTEC engine?

Audi at least had a good reason to put the timing drive in the back of the engine, and the problems associated with those engines were to do with defective timing chain guides in the first few model years. They changed the defective parts with stronger ones on later models and the problem was solved, and the layout is still used. The placement of the timing chain really isn't a big deal, VAG is hardly the only company that does it, V6 Mustangs and Explorers also have timing chains on the firewall side, and.....uh...I don't know where I was going with this

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know where I was going with this

You were about to prove that VW's are the most reliable cars on the road.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

track day bro! posted:

Didnt vw decide to integrate a turbocharger into the head of one of their new 4-cyl engines also recently?

Just the exhaust manifold I think. Also it might be a new ford engine that's like that.

I could see the sliding cam thing getting stuck and breaking off the actuator.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

jamal posted:

Just the exhaust manifold I think. Also it might be a new ford engine that's like that.

I could see the sliding cam thing getting stuck and breaking off the actuator.

BMW is putting the turbo in the exhaust manifold on the new b series engines coming out this year for the LCI refresh. Lots of positive talk about lag reduction. I'm just going to hope the turbos keep getting and 8 year warranty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

BMW is putting the turbo in the exhaust manifold on the new b series engines coming out this year for the LCI refresh. Lots of positive talk about lag reduction. I'm just going to hope the turbos keep getting and 8 year warranty.

This isn't new, a lot of manufacturers integrate the hot side into the manifold now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Three months old, I installed this tire myself back in Feb. Sorry dude, I'm not giving you any more "road hazard" claims on your tires. I told you you needed an alignment last time you were here.

:siren: I SHOULD USE TIMG TAGS :siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)