Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

baram. posted:

except low level runs gently caress those

SMRPG runners are pussies until a single-segment low-level run is made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Pneub posted:

they've done races of it before I'm almost certain. I think pie and 0xwas might've just done one a weekend or two ago.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

baram. posted:

they've done races of it before I'm almost certain. I think pie and 0xwas might've just done one a weekend or two ago.

http://www.speedrunslive.com/races/game/#!/smrpg/1

fake e. I wanna know what ant% is

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
man RPG Limit Break has been loving boring so far, don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This was a guy with a ton of empty seats in a lone room playing an FF:CC run for quite a while and urgh. At least the audio-video is more than fine, the layout is legitimately more than good enough for its purpose and not all tryhard with sharp corners and contrasts.

Still real uninteresting. Even if they took someone in to run my JRPG faves (Valkyria Chronicles which so many people claim is a JRPG starts soon) I'd struggle. More fun if there were co-op (players controlling characters in combat) Tales series runs in carefully practiced ways.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pneub posted:

sessh, 0xwas and iateyourpie have all done these, more than once.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What does any% mean for dustforce? Is there a notion of completing the game other than beating all the levels?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What does any% mean for dustforce? Is there a notion of completing the game other than beating all the levels?

Any% basically means you start with a save where the X-Difficults are unlocked and beat every level as quickly as possible (so it's technically a NG+ run, though that's a meaningless distinction here.) "Completing" the game from a fresh save requires SSing the main nexus levels then beating the other levels, and 100%ing the game is getting an SS rank on every level.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

King of Solomon posted:

Any% basically means you start with a save where the X-Difficults are unlocked and beat every level as quickly as possible (so it's technically a NG+ run, though that's a meaningless distinction here.) "Completing" the game from a fresh save requires SSing the main nexus levels then beating the other levels, and 100%ing the game is getting an SS rank on every level.

Ahh okay - playing with all the levels unlocked is what I missed.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SeXReX posted:

every time one of my speedfriends picks up Dustforce they always blueball me and do any%, then end up dropping it because you can't do dustforce without selling your soul to the devil.

The game has an absurd amount of depth in the mechanics. Its a platformer that you could play more or less forever.

ArfJason posted:

Still feeling bad for that dude who tried to do all ss at agdq and was stuck for half an hour on yotta

The number of people who have SS'ed yotta at all sits in the low 70s well over 2 years after its addition. I've managed to do this exactly once and its one of the gaming related things I'm most proud of accomplishing despite it being such a slow run.

Also, I mentioned that nerphs is the new WR holder for all levels SS. This actually happened just a week ago or so, and is the first run on DX to get sub 1 hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA1lZiX8CnM

He's also streaming practice / attempts right now:
http://www.twitch.tv/stygma24

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MVP posted:

man RPG Limit Break has been loving boring so far,

The speedrun event consisting entirely of games from a genre that are widely regarded as boring speedruns is in fact boring. Colour me shocked!

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
It's mainly that the Fire Emblem (gamecube?) game and most games so far aren't even visually appealing to watch. A lot of grindy and MMO-lite RPGs like Crystal Chronicles and Diablo 3 for the first day.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Cubey posted:

sessh, 0xwas and iateyourpie have all done these, more than once.

No resets?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Basically when nobody is talking its kind of relaxing for me, when they start talking I remember I'm watching a bunch of dudes grind RPGs and then it gets really boring

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pneub posted:

No resets?

Some dude dud the math on this once in pie's chat to figure out what the possibility of a no-reset low level run is. The number he came up with was impossibly huge, you'd win the lottery several times before you'd get a no-reset low level run. Like a one in 100 billion chance or some such insanity.

Or in other words, no. By single segment I assumed you meant in one sitting, which has been done. The first one I watched was pie and sessh, it was 20 hours or something silly.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Oh man, Castle of the Winds part one on RPG Limitbreak next. I don't think I've ever seen a run of it before and it's something I spent way too much time on when I was younger.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TGM isn't the only puzzgame you can speedrun

http://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/v/5004889

In order to fight Masked Satan you need to 1CC the game and have scored 180000 points up to that point. I snuck into the fight with 180656 points, had I been using a microphone you would have heard all sorts of heavy breathing followed by an ear shattering 'gently caress YES' when I finished it off.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
That Earthbound run was awesome. It's not Claude, but FFT is up next, so I recommend you watch RPG Limit Break if you enjoy FFT. :)

http://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cubey posted:

Some dude dud the math on this once in pie's chat to figure out what the possibility of a no-reset low level run is. The number he came up with was impossibly huge, you'd win the lottery several times before you'd get a no-reset low level run. Like a one in 100 billion chance or some such insanity.

Or in other words, no. By single segment I assumed you meant in one sitting, which has been done. The first one I watched was pie and sessh, it was 20 hours or something silly.
Isn't it not entirely random? The game, that is. Like, it might literally just be impossible from a cold boot to get all double-XP, and I seem to recall some nonsense about how the positions of the eggs might be correlated also.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

In order to fight Masked Satan you need to 1CC the game and have scored 180000 points up to that point. I snuck into the fight with 180656 points, had I been using a microphone you would have heard all sorts of heavy breathing followed by an ear shattering 'gently caress YES' when I finished it off.

grats now do yoco gm

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Why aren't you playing Puyo Puyo 1 instead, it's a lot faster to speedrun that game since the CPU can't fight back due to counterattack mechanics not existing in that game

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't it not entirely random? The game, that is. Like, it might literally just be impossible from a cold boot to get all double-XP, and I seem to recall some nonsense about how the positions of the eggs might be correlated also.

It is entirely random. It's essentially a 1 in 6 chance each battle, and unless I'm thinking about it wrong that'd mean each battle multiplies that chance by 6. It's not literally impossible, but it might as well be.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eonwe posted:

Basically when nobody is talking its kind of relaxing for me, when they start talking I remember I'm watching a bunch of dudes grind RPGs and then it gets really boring
Out of what I watched so far, Disgaea, Valkyria, Earthbound and FFT all had really good explanatory commentary, but you do have to like that sort of thing. For the most part there weren't any long quiet grinding sessions.

Hell, Dragon Warrior has tons of grinding and they still found ways to keep people entertained, so I really enjoyed that run too.

I didn't get to really watch Fire Emblem closely but it seemed like they were trying hard to explain everything in that one as well. And even stupid Skyrim is fun to watch because they basically pay no mind to how the game is supposed to go and abuse poo poo constantly.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't be so quick to dismiss everything, there are way fewer bad runs in the schedule than you might expect.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 14, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah I've enjoyed every run I've watched so far. That being said if you just straight up don't like RPG speedruns then well, yeah you probably won't enjoy watching one.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Cubey posted:

It is entirely random. It's essentially a 1 in 6 chance each battle, and unless I'm thinking about it wrong that'd mean each battle multiplies that chance by 6. It's not literally impossible, but it might as well be.

Don't forget Boomer/Exor, which is roughly 1/18.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The runs are good but there is like zero effort to make people donate and care about incentives. It took an hour into the FFT run for the reader to mention a bid war that closes two hours into the run.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tonfa posted:

The runs are good but there is like zero effort to make people donate and care about incentives. It took an hour into the FFT run for the reader to mention a bid war that closes two hours into the run.
I'm fine with that. The numbers aren't going to pick up until Friday anyway so there's no reason to be aggressive yet. They probably lose more donations by ending on Saturday night instead of going through Sunday, though I can guess why they did it.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Tonfa posted:

I dunno, I'd say it's more a symptom of traditional marathon late night wind down than reader apathy. Brossentia was pushing the hell out of incentives all through the Earthbound run giving reminders maybe every 15-30 minutes about then unmet incentives like the death glitch and stairs glitch. I can't imagine outside character names and saving/killing the animalsBoco how many other variables you can build donation incentives around for a FFT any% run.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Violently Car posted:

Don't forget Boomer/Exor, which is roughly 1/18.
If it's 1/18 then there's got to be some kind of correlation there, otherwise it'd be 1/36. If they aren't independent then it could be billions of times more likely!

because it'd still be orders of magnitude worse than anything anyone actually runs :ssh:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Why aren't you playing Puyo Puyo 1 instead, it's a lot faster to speedrun that game since the CPU can't fight back due to counterattack mechanics not existing in that game

The rotation engine is different and it throws me off, I also play casual matches on puyovs so going back and forth would be too much for my feeble brain.

I'm going to be on couch for the run of whichever localization of puyo 1 wins the bid war so I'll probably play some of that when I'm not practicing cheetah.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

people posted:

SMRPG luck stuff

Low level without the Lucky Stone/Hammer would be a neat run. It isn't anywhere close to arbitrary compared to a lot of popular speedrun catagories.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If it's 1/18 then there's got to be some kind of correlation there, otherwise it'd be 1/36. If they aren't independent then it could be billions of times more likely!

because it'd still be orders of magnitude worse than anything anyone actually runs :ssh:

One of the bosses doesn't give coins (I think it's Exor), so lucky can only show up for experience points.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SeXReX posted:

The rotation engine is different and it throws me off, I also play casual matches on puyovs so going back and forth would be too much for my feeble brain.

I'm going to be on couch for the run of whichever localization of puyo 1 wins the bid war so I'll probably play some of that when I'm not practicing cheetah.

I mean, you don't really need to be that well versed in PP1 as long as you can 5 chain consistently, since that's about all you need to rockrain the CPU. (PPVS also has different rules from any of the Puyo games since the developer just winged it instead of studying frame timings from the official games)

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Former Doom 2 UV-Speed (basically any% IGT) WR holder Looper streams now. He is the best Doom speedrunner that streams by far, the difference between his movement and someone like Dime is pretty crazy http://www.twitch.tv/looperkele

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I mean, you don't really need to be that well versed in PP1 as long as you can 5 chain consistently, since that's about all you need to rockrain the CPU. (PPVS also has different rules from any of the Puyo games since the developer just winged it instead of studying frame timings from the official games)

Ok ok I won't make excuses, I'm just bad at puyo. Plus the first game doesn't have a bad rear end secret ending like 2 does.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tonfa posted:

I appreciate them raising money (10k+ now) but I'm perfectly fine with just a lowkey streamed jrpg event without any charity work.

I missed the FFT run though. :( I didn't even know Tide ran it! Good run, worth a watch later, y/n?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BloodWulfe posted:

I appreciate them raising money (10k+ now) but I'm perfectly fine with just a lowkey streamed jrpg event without any charity work.

I missed the FFT run though. :( I didn't even know Tide ran it! Good run, worth a watch later, y/n?

The time wasn't special because of marathon safe strats but Tide did an insanely good solo commentary job for it all the way through, definitely worth a watch

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Ok ok I won't make excuses, I'm just bad at puyo. Plus the first game doesn't have a bad rear end secret ending like 2 does.

If you want to git gud the two most obvious things I can think of watching you play is to a) learn how to sandwich chain to give you more flexibility when building and b) learn how to transition so you can turn the corner and build upwards instead of panicking and setting off your chain early.

there's also c) play faster but thats something that comes naturally with practice because you spend more time doing and less time thinking due to muscle memory.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 14, 2015

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

MrLonghair posted:

Still real uninteresting. Even if they took someone in to run my JRPG faves (Valkyria Chronicles which so many people claim is a JRPG starts soon)

I was rewatching bits of RPGLimitBreak, and I honestly thought that Aatrek (under an obvious new name) was playing Valkyria Chronicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MVP posted:

man RPG Limit Break has been loving boring so far, don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

How about not making an event based around speedrunning RPGs, cripes I have no idea how anyone thought that was a good idea.

• Locked thread