Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
For those of you wondering like I am: Lucifer's album is set for release around June 16th. I was hoping it was out already and missed it.

edit: oh hey new page, for context Lucifer is billed on the High on Fire tour that just announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

The rear end Stooge posted:

"Slow Mover" is the doom metallest band name I have ever heard.

And they're like the only non-doom band on that bill! They're more fuzzy stoner hard rock.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

It appears that Matt Pike has officially run out of new riffs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It sounds a lot like Frost Hammer, and even very similar to Slave the Hive which is going to be on the same album.

But its still better than anything you guys suggested on the last page :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When a new HOF album comes out, sometimes I don't like it straight away. Then I go back to it a week or two later and love it. Happens every time.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I like HoF because they are consistent, I know what to expect on each album. The only ones that feel really different are the first 3, in my opinion. Blessed Black Wings in my favorite, but I still listen to them all every now and again. They're kinda like Motorhead in a way.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Still loving love that first album though, I could just keep listening to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjZ3eIF0c0

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 13, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hof was great for the first 3 albums

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dyna Soar posted:

hof is great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Woke up to an email saying I might be interviewing Ufomammut today before I see them. Anything I should ask if it winds up working out?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd love to know what their relationship is with their engineers and mixers. I think their albums are very well recorded and produced and would like to hear what sort of input the band have on all that.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm so bummed I'm probably not going to be able to see Ufomammut. The show I could make is 4 hours away on a Friday. That same week I'm already seeing Incantation on Monday (in town) and Conan on Wednesday (1 hour out of town). There's no way I can justify trekking to Raleigh to myself, to my current bank account and to my family. Maryland Death Fest is a blessing and a curse.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Woke up to an email saying I might be interviewing Ufomammut today before I see them. Anything I should ask if it winds up working out?

ask them what their favourite giallo movies are

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new hof song is loving great. I don't understand how Matt Pike has gotten better as a vocalist despite the constant smoking and alcoholism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well the fell through but I still get to see the show for free!

Haha just kidding both Reggie's and Ticketfly are both incompetent/willfully bad about refunds. Whatever, I'm supporting a good band.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 14, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HoF are definitely great, theres always a handful of songs on each album that are really awesome and work well live.

10,000 years is probably my favorite, but I feel like their writing has gotten better since then.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'd be interested to know what Italian bands they feel they're influenced by. Like have they been listening to Paul Chain, or old italian prog, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ufomammut were pretty good. Their encore was like three or four songs (although really they just went off stage earlier than most bands would) and they seemed really excited to be playing for an all-new audience, as this is their first full tour of America. Usnea and Bloodiest were alright. Also I got a rad shirt, which is the first band shirt I've bought in like a year and first since I moved to Chicago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just started my morning by listening to Dead Roots Stirring by Elder and holy poo poo I'm an idiot for not noticing this in 2011. Somebody get this band on a bill with Wo Fat and Church of Misery and start a riffpocalypse.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm catching that tour but I have to wait until literally the last date, a month away D:

Really I should just be grateful that they even booked a Milwaukee date.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If anyone's curious about a setlist, they play all of Ecate, leave the stage, come back and play three or four songs. Oroborus and God are among them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That sounds pretty great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just started my morning by listening to Dead Roots Stirring by Elder and holy poo poo I'm an idiot for not noticing this in 2011. Somebody get this band on a bill with Wo Fat and Church of Misery and start a riffpocalypse.

I dont care much for Knot and III but yes, I had this revelation one day and I now listen to it probably every day.

Dead Roots Stirring is probably the best song I have listened to in my life.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I'm listening to Sleep's Holy Mountain a lot lately and by god this is one of the best things. I've been watching LotR and playing Skyrim a lot, so to hear really heavy doom about astral dragons flying to mars is awesome.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Full new Weedeater album streaming here: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/toke-up-and-stream-all-of-weedeaters-groovy-doom-lp-goliathan

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

This is gonna be awesome. Four great bands on one hot night.

The drummer for Venomous Maximus lives 4 houses down from me and they're not playing ONE show in our town. So very not cool.

I get it though. When they toured for the last album, they played House of Blues here on a Monday night. The venue was half full and the crowd was full baked. I loved it, but man if there were more than 100 people at that show I'd be surprised.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been sleeping on this new Bell Witch for a while but now I feel like a dummy for doing that because god drat :stare:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's pretty crushing. Speaking of them, for once I wish I lived in Denver because on June 20th they'll be playing with Wayfarer and Horrendous and and some others at the TRVE Brew anniversary show.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Of course the new Bell Witch was recorded by Billy Anderson.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

For those of you wondering like I am: Lucifer's album is set for release around June 16th. I was hoping it was out already and missed it.

edit: oh hey new page, for context Lucifer is billed on the High on Fire tour that just announced.

You can hear the lead track off of their new album, Lucifer I, towards the end of Fenriz's most recent radio show. It's called, Abradacabra. Sounds pretty promising.

https://soundcloud.com/heavytassen/01-radio-fenriz-two-may-2015?in=heavytassen/sets/radio-fenriz-two

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get a CD of the Bell Witch demo? The one with the Masque of Red Death sample. I can't find it anywhere :(

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The only CD version of it was CD-Rs directly from the band, so good luck.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yep it is not even on Ebay. Your best bet would be to pay the $2 to their bandcamp for the album, and then burn it to a CD.

https://bellwitch.bandcamp.com/album/bell-witch-demo-2011

Because of your post I've listen to this album 3 times already today.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Just staggered in the door last night from Psycho Fest and wow.

Personal highlight: Earthless, delivering maybe the best extended instrumental jam I've ever seen in my life (and I'm 41)

Most fun: Municipal Waste was a blast as usual, but even more so this weekend because they were such a fuckin odd duck in the lineup. Acid Witch was goofy and awesome as well, with every song getting a pre-performance summary: "This song is about when you do too much acid and you're wandering around in the woods and you fall on your fuckin face and you wonder if this is how it all ends...it's called 'Witchtanic Hallucinations'...this song is about religion, and uh, about how you don't fuckin' need it! It's called 'Evil!" Truckfighters probably brought the most energy overall of any band I saw.

Disappointing: Eyehategod. I've never been a mega-fan and I know they've been having issues but they were seriously lackluster, which was a real problem coming right after Old Man Gloom who killed it. Also thought Bongzilla kinda sucked. Also as good as they were, Bell Witch really got hurt by having to play on the outdoor stage, where the acoustics were pretty terrible. Not their fault at all.

Other standouts: Lord Dying (I'm biased coming from Portland, but they really tore it up), Conan (no words for how heavy), Subrosa. Blackout turned a lot of heads and seemed to have the most buzz going for them. Pretty cool to see Bedemon's first-ever live performance; they started out pretty by-the-numbers but by the fourth song or so were fully in the groove.

Going VIP for an additional $100 was the Best Move Ever - free drinks all weekend, sweet poster and tee, and got to have beers with almost every band at one point or another throughout the weekend.

in other news, Bobby Liebling looks like utter poo poo, and I mean, drat.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That lineup is great, sounds like a good time. Yeah Eyehategod can be a bit hit or miss live. Disappointed to hear Bongzilla weren't good though, what was the problem? How was Old Man Gloom's set, are they mostly playing from Ape of God or older stuff too? Droney and atmospheric or all out roaring?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

big scary monsters posted:

Disappointed to hear Bongzilla weren't good though, what was the problem?
Nothing specific, they just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. A Bongzilla fan might have been in heaven, but I'm not that familiar with em and they didn't grab me.

quote:

How was Old Man Gloom's set, are they mostly playing from Ape of God or older stuff too? Droney and atmospheric or all out roaring?
More roaring, but droney interludes. It was probably about half Ape of God and a lot of No. "To Carry the Flame" = :aaaaa:

rivetz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 20, 2015

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Gotta get my butt to NYC to catch this one:

Also, my buddy Steve's bands Olde Growth and Sea are going to do a short tour in July. A lot of the venues are still TBA, but hey, keep and eye out and check them out if you can, because both bands rock.

7/2: brooklyn, ny @ lucky 13
7/3: philadelphia, pa @ the pharmacy
7/4: baltimore, md / washington, dc (TBA)
7/5: pittsburgh, pa (TBA)
7/6: lexington, ky @ al's bar w/ stampede, dirtbag, on the water
7/7: chicago, il (TBA)
7/8: milwaukee, wi @ cocoon room w/ shock collar
7/9: grand rapids, mi (TBA)
7/10: cleveland, oh @ now that's class
7/11: rochester / buffalo, ny (TBA)
7/12: lehigh valley / jersey / hudson valley (TBA)

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

rivetz posted:

Disappointing: Eyehategod. I've never been a mega-fan and I know they've been having issues but they were seriously lackluster, which was a real problem coming right after Old Man Gloom who killed it.

I agree, their set wasn't great, and I am a big fan of EHG.

A standout for me was Sourvein. I'm biased though, they're one of my favorite bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

mekrob posted:

I agree, their set wasn't great, and I am a big fan of EHG.

A standout for me was Sourvein. I'm biased though, they're one of my favorite bands.

i love sourvein, but imo all of their latter output pales in comparison with will to mangle.