Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it managed to avoid turning incestuous.

That we know of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was never incestuous because they were never family.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It was never incestuous because they were never family.

Wasn't she technically his aunt?

On a side note I was pleased to see that Afro the Forever was invited to the tea party.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

Wasn't she technically his aunt?

Like 30 generations removed, yeah.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ha ha ha, he just wants to get along with his mom but everyone keeps being weird about it.

To be fair Dana does acknowledge this after she's done loving with him. Of course this is only so she can gently caress with him some more.

I love how Touta's speech is switching between super-rude and basic politeness depending on if Dana can hear him or not. "She's sawing logs, what a punk" "HELLO MASTER PLEASE TRAIN ME"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Touta wins the Yukihime bowl, because I'm not fully prepared for an Akamatsu manga that avoids the occasional mistake.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's going to be Eva/Al by the end, I will bet all the dollars.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
That reaction panel of :ironicat: :laugh: :downs: :smug: is my favorite part of Akamatsu's character writing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I hope Touta wins the Yukihime bowl, because I'm not fully prepared for an Akamatsu manga that avoids the occasional mistake.

He can teach her what love is without bringing romance into it. After all, she hasn't had a kid before now and the supposed love of her life was completely one-sided.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as Tota goes I hope he ends up with Koromaru because none of the other options are really possible to take seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One kind of hates him, one doesn't seem romantically interested in him, and one is a little girl. So yeah, out of the current batch Kuromaro is the only real option. But then, it is entirely possible that he won't have a love interest at all. I mean, he is like 3 years old and hasn't really shown much interest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Karin, she needs to show back up soon because she's cool and consistently funny for giving incredibly bad advice.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I hope Kuromaru chooses to be a guy but then ends up with Tota anyway. :allears:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What a BEAUTIFUL chapter.

Ken's loving the opportunity to play with recyclable characters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This character has been pretty much nonstop amazing and if we never see her interact with Rakan it's a crime.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rodyle posted:

This character has been pretty much nonstop amazing and if we never see her interact with Rakan it's a crime.

We could always add her to the list of 'people who might be Rakan in disguise'!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Man... What a cool manga.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love this lady. She's great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember the various "training" arcs in Negima being a decent amount of fun, too. Guess Akamatsu is good at them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think I missed a trick, when did Afro Dood a) Gain imortality and b) Was introduced to UQ Holder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But they're not immortal? I mean they're just sort of hanging out rather than getting killed like the others for the training.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Neither, that's why he's not training.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

"Oh, it's just a little training, stop whining," says Kirie, who probably save-scummed more than Touta died.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think I missed a trick, when did Afro Dood a) Gain imortality and b) Was introduced to UQ Holder.

Nate RFB posted:

But they're not immortal? I mean they're just sort of hanging out rather than getting killed like the others for the training.

Kyte posted:

Neither, that's why he's not training.

Yeah, Afro and the wheelchair guy only know Touta, Kuromaru, Kirie, and Santa, not the entirety of UQ Holder, since they're pretty much the only members they've interacted with due to the underground pit fighting stuff and the rescue from the mall explosion. They were pretty shocked when Dana killed Touta and Kuromaru to time their regen speeds, looks like that was the first time they saw that kinda stuff.

Looks like since Kirie's immortality is save-scumming, she wouldn't benefit from the same death training the rest of the crew get from Dana, which makes sense. Dana playing "tag, I kill you" with her alongside the others to make them regen faster wouldn't make sense for Kirie since she would probably just attempt to save-scum all of her attacks to the point where Dana would probably get pissed and focus on her instead of the others or ignore her totally, making it pointless. She doesn't even regen anyway, so training her that way is useless, and like Dana said, she'll deal with her later.

Still, Kirie acting all tsun towards Dana was hilarious, and she seems to think so too. The physical training she's getting alongside might help her with avoiding things that she learns from her save-scumming, but it makes sense that Kirie is the least physical of the bunch, even if she's trained somewhat but without much magical enhancement. Pisses her off that she has to go through it too, which was pretty funny.

Touta died 196 times, eh? Dana really has it out for him. And more time shenanigans or something, seeing young Eva at the end there...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, Afro and the wheelchair guy only know Touta, Kuromaru, Kirie, and Santa, not the entirety of UQ Holder, since they're pretty much the only members they've interacted with due to the underground pit fighting stuff and the rescue from the mall explosion. They were pretty shocked when Dana killed Touta and Kuromaru to time their regen speeds, looks like that was the first time they saw that kinda stuff.

Looks like since Kirie's immortality is save-scumming, she wouldn't benefit from the same death training the rest of the crew get from Dana, which makes sense. Dana playing "tag, I kill you" with her alongside the others to make them regen faster wouldn't make sense for Kirie since she would probably just attempt to save-scum all of her attacks to the point where Dana would probably get pissed and focus on her instead of the others or ignore her totally, making it pointless. She doesn't even regen anyway, so training her that way is useless, and like Dana said, she'll deal with her later.

Still, Kirie acting all tsun towards Dana was hilarious, and she seems to think so too. The physical training she's getting alongside might help her with avoiding things that she learns from her save-scumming, but it makes sense that Kirie is the least physical of the bunch, even if she's trained somewhat but without much magical enhancement. Pisses her off that she has to go through it too, which was pretty funny.

Touta died 196 times, eh? Dana really has it out for him. And more time shenanigans or something, seeing young Eva at the end there...

I doubt that Dana has a grudge. Touta just has a problem with taking things seriously. Like, a terminal problem.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I doubt that Dana has a grudge. Touta just has a problem with taking things seriously. Like, a terminal problem.

To be fair, a teenager who finds out that they literally are immortal probably would not take a whole lot very seriously. Though it's not really so much of a terminal problem in this case. (:thejoke:)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Obahan is p cool

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Touta was just unlucky enough to gain her attention and hold it while not taking the whole thing seriously, leading to her focusing on him. Him being the main character probably had something to do with it as well.

Seeing as how Dana reacted to Kirie's whole tsun thing, I have a feeling she's gonna be in for some shenanigans in the future with her version of training...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though how one is supposed to upgrade that form of immortality is a good question.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is nothing stopping Kirie from training her body to increase her ability to survive. She just doesn't want to.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Though how one is supposed to upgrade that form of immortality is a good question.

multiple save scum places instead of just quicksave, making saves without having to do that ritual of hers, make her powers work like JJBA stands Mandom or Bites the Dust

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

she could pretty much extend her immortality powers into full blown time magic, specially since obahan probably knows it

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

There is nothing stopping Kirie from training her body to increase her ability to survive. She just doesn't want to.

I think that she feels that she's trained enough, as she's probably a little below peak human for her body, from what I can tell. She probably just doesn't have any sort of magical enhancement. Dana will probably get her to improve physically if she can't improve her immortality, going off of what she said and her reaction to Kirie's tsun attitude.

Even with Kirie's save-scumming, it really doesn't help if her body can't physically go through the actions needed to take advantage of what she knows, unless she's doing it with pure muscle memory or whatever. Still, she's been able to do it so far with the opposition she's faced (including Fate, ghost girl, and female clone with imitation Asuna sword) so far in the manga, so she probably thinks what she has is enough. It probably won't be.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kirie's immortality powerup will be the ability to kill herself without needing a tool.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

chumbler posted:

Kirie's immortality powerup will be the ability to kill herself without needing a tool.

Yeah, maybe. If she got more "hardy" to resist death it'd actually be bad for her.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

she's a video game-type, so Kirie just needs to improve her APM

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I could sort of see Kirie's reset power making her less likely to want to train her body. Exercising is something that a lot of people have to force themselves to do, and they can only do it because it will improve their body. But if Kirie resets, all that improvement will be undone, while she'll still have the memory of the time spent exercising with all its discomfort and drudgery. Since she never knows when she'll have to reset, she'll always be asking herself "is it worth it?" and probably answering "no."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Well she did say she was going to kill him like 10 times for every time he called her oba-san.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Paracelsus posted:

I could sort of see Kirie's reset power making her less likely to want to train her body. Exercising is something that a lot of people have to force themselves to do, and they can only do it because it will improve their body. But if Kirie resets, all that improvement will be undone, while she'll still have the memory of the time spent exercising with all its discomfort and drudgery. Since she never knows when she'll have to reset, she'll always be asking herself "is it worth it?" and probably answering "no."

Perhaps she'll find a way to do resets but retain certain physical changes to herself that she can set. That way she can keep the physical training by setting it so that she keeps it. That and I like the idea of her being able to kill herself through willpower or whatever if she ends up in a situation like say being turned to stone, where you technically aren't dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A better power up than being able to kill herself at will would be simply being able to restart at will. I mean, sure I can just jump off a cliff in Skyrim in order to go back to a previous save, or I could just bring up the menu and select the save without having to kill myself.

• Locked thread