Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Haven't watched the show this season but I heard they killed off Barristan Selmy. hosed up if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

HELLO LADIES posted:

I'm just taking it as confirmation that, unfortunately, Dany totally will go crazy and be evil in the books. The execution scene of the random slave guy was waaaay over the top of anything she's alluded to have done in the books, but show watchers are dummies and wouldn't understand foreshadowing.
she literally ordered the crucifixion of 163 (?) people in the book

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Genetic Toaster posted:

Haven't watched the show this season but I heard they killed off Barristan Selmy. hosed up if true.

I thought he was gonna pull through but no.

Political correctness gone mad :byodood:

I mean, I like grey worm and find the unsullied to be both badass and sympathetic, well they were badass but Barry needed to not go out like a bitch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
With the way you all are whining about Barristan, you would think he was an important or interesting character.

Jeez, its like you are looking for reasons to hate the show.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CharlestheHammer posted:

With the way you all are whining about Barristan, you would think he was an important or interesting character.

Jeez, its like you are looking for reasons to hate the show.

he was, though

he was the perfect knight in a world filled with imperfections, it's a cool arc to follow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

he was, though

he was the perfect knight in a world filled with imperfections, it's a cool arc to follow

And we'll get to follow it once the new book comesbwahahahHaHAHhAHaHaHaHha! Darn it. Almost made it through that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

V. Illych L. posted:

he was, though

He would have let king's landing burn instead of killing Aerys - he definitely made some wrong choices due to a poorly thought through notion of ethics. He reflects on and questions it himself in the books even if he doesn't quite cross the line of deciding he was wrong. Maybe that's what being a "perfect" knight is but it's far from a perfect person.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He would have let king's landing burn instead of killing Aerys - he definitely made some wrong choices due to a poorly thought through notion of ethics. He reflects on and questions it himself in the books even if he doesn't quite cross the line of deciding he was wrong. Maybe that's what being a "perfect" knight is but it's far from a perfect person.

I would say that taking poo poo into his own hands is an implicit admission that he can't just blindly serve his sovereign.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

visceril posted:

I would say that taking poo poo into his own hands is an implicit admission that he can't just blindly serve his sovereign.

Are you referring to Hizadr or Joffrey? (I assume the former.) I guess we'll see if he blindly listens to Dany (if he survives the battle of meereen) - I'll call him redeemed if he refuses her when she orders something he deems wrong.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

barristan's moral code is not our moral code, it is the knight's moral code, which he fulfills very well, to the point of perfection

part of the knight's moral code is obedience to the sovereign. how good a knight barristan is has nothing to do with how well he fulfills our norms, but rather how well he conforms to the idealisation of the chivalric knight that he tries to be. he does this very well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

barristan's moral code is not our moral code, it is the knight's moral code, which he fulfills very well, to the point of perfection

part of the knight's moral code is obedience to the sovereign. how good a knight barristan is has nothing to do with how well he fulfills our norms, but rather how well he conforms to the idealisation of the chivalric knight that he tries to be. he does this very well.

Refresh my memory about how chivalrous Barristan was being while Sansa was being tortured in court?

Was he off that day?

Sovereign my rear end.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
One of my favorite things about Barristan is the way he takes his squiring job seriously when he's posing as Arstan. He's the greatest living swordsman and pretty much a legend in his own lifetime, yet when he has to take on a job as a squire, he doesn't half-rear end it or think that he's above this lowly station. He takes his job as squire as seriously as he took his job as a knight and keeps Strong Belwas' poo poo immaculate.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

syscall girl posted:

Refresh my memory about how chivalrous Barristan was being while Sansa was being tortured in court?

Was he off that day?

Sovereign my rear end.

Barristan was gone by the time Sansa was being tortured. Cersei tried to "retire" him and he told her to gently caress off and left. He was no longer Kingsguard from that point on.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

Barristan was gone by the time Sansa was being tortured. Cersei tried to "retire" him and he told her to gently caress off and left. He was no longer Kingsguard from that point on.

I tried to google "barristan Sansa" to confirm this and I have made a horrible horrible choice. I should know better than to google two names jfc

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Are you referring to Hizadr or Joffrey? (I assume the former.) I guess we'll see if he blindly listens to Dany (if he survives the battle of meereen) - I'll call him redeemed if he refuses her when she orders something he deems wrong.

I meant Hizdar yeah. Him walking away from the Lannisters was more about wounded pride than him growing as a person.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at with "maybe that's what a "perfect" knight is" - if that's what a perfect knight is, I don't think it's a very good thing to be, and I hope he truly moves past it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kellanved posted:

Anyone have a link to that golden hand/goblet youtube?

I've got your back buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Jamie's hand was actually useful this season. So that was nice.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Guys. I just really, really loving want Stannis to win this thing. Show Stannis has won my heart and devotion forever. That scene with Shireen and how you just loving know he went about saving her life with that same relentless tooth-grinding stubborness he has about getting the Iron Throne.... :swoon:

gently caress his obsession with Mels and burning people alive, I don't even care. gently caress Renly's peach, I don't care if nobody wants Stannis either. gently caress Dany and her lame-rear end plots, the most exciting thing she's done in books is poo poo herself. And gently caress R + L =Jon. If he won't break for Winterfell, I don't see him breaking his vows for the whole drat Kingdom.

Stannis now and forever. I want him to sit on that throne and tell the world to eat his rear end. Stannis would fight all three dragons bare-handed and not give a poo poo. You know full well Stannis would love to kill his way through an ice zombie horde. I loving love this guy.

This season sucks, but only because we're not getting more of Stannis loving poo poo up, then going back to being adorably sweet with his daughter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

V. Illych L. posted:

he was, though

Not really, I honestly forgot about him most of the time. they could have cut him and I wouldn't have given a poo poo.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Preach it brother.

#teamstannis

after Stannis is murdered by GRRM

#teamwhitewalker

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
holy loving poo poo they killed barristan??

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Are they letting catelyn stay dead? That would mean she was pointless, brienne was double pointless, jaime also is pointless. God drat it. If brienne is up at winterfell she can't get caught by catelyn. Goddamn. Why did the hound win the fight but the guy comes back to life if not to foreshadow catelynn coming back?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Sure seems that way. They also gave Jorah the secret greyscale of shame so JonCon is probably out and by extension fAegon too.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Where in the books was it implied that Jon is a Targaryen badtard? It's been literal epochs since i read them, or is this one of those tv show only things?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pakman posted:

Where in the books was it implied that Jon is a Targaryen badtard? It's been literal epochs since i read them, or is this one of those tv show only things?

Mostly stuff from the first book. It's extremely out of character for Ned to father a bastard, the visions he has after he gets stabbed, and he calls Jon "my blood" instead of "my son".

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

pakman posted:

Most of the evidence comes from the first book. It's the strongest theory and almost certainly true.

Ned's sister is kidnapped by Rhaegar. Ned has a fever dream where three members of the Kingsguard are guarding a tower (Why?) after the king is dead and are not protecting Dany or Viserys. Lyanna is there and makes Ned promise her something before she dies in a "bed of blood" (used by other characters to mean 'died giving birth') and Ned returns home with a mysterious bastard whose mother he will not talk about.

Mormont's raven keeps calling Jon "king".

quote:

"I trust you enjoyed the journey, Your Grace?"
Robert snorted. "Bogs and forests and fields, and scarcely a decent inn north of the Neck. I've never seen such a vast emptiness. Where are all your people?"
"Likely they were too shy to come out," Ned jested. He could feel the chill coming up the stairs, a cold breath from deep within the earth. "Kings are a rare sight in the north."
Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!"

quote:

Daenerys Targaryen's visions in the House of the Undying include an image of Rhaegar with his newborn son Aegon, proclaiming that "there must be a third" because "the dragon has three heads". Another of the visions Daenerys sees is the image of a blue winter rose growing from a chink in a wall of ice, filling the air with sweetness. Lyanna was noted by Ned to be fond of winter roses, and he associates them with her death. Jon, who could be the product of Lyanna, is currently at the Wall.

It's assumed that Rhaegar became obsessed with prophecy and assumed his children would be the three heads of the dragon, of the Song of Ice and Fire. It's believed he chose Lyanna because she is the ice to his fire and Jon is both, hence the title of the series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Why did the hound win the fight but the guy comes back to life if not to foreshadow catelynn coming back?

edit: oops you mean the lightning bolt dude.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

Dondarrion? It's been a while but I remember a) liking him b) being pissed at myself that I hadn't noticed that it was becoming high fantasy earlier and then c) pissed at grrm for letting the hound win his trial.

Also Dondarrion must be related to Daario by the transitive property of suck.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

kcroy posted:

Though the answer to that is to show the Hound getting over his fear of fire.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

syscall girl posted:

c) pissed at grrm for letting the hound win his trial.

The Hound wasn't guilty of the crimes he was being charged for, so he won.

quote:

"You will die soon enough, dog," promised Thoros, "but it shan't be murder, only justice."

"Aye," said the Mad Huntsman, "and a kinder fate than you deserve for all your kind have done. Lions, you call yourselves. At Sherrer and the Mummer's Ford, girls of six and seven years were raped, and babes still on the breast were cut in two while their mothers watched. No lion ever killed so cruel."

"I was not at Sherrer, nor the Mummer's Ford," the Hound told him. "Lay your dead children at some other door."

Thoros answered him. "Do you deny that House Clegane was built upon dead children? I saw them lay Prince Aegon and Princess Rhaenys before the Iron Throne. By rights your arms should bear two bloody infants in place of those ugly dogs."

The Hound's mouth twitched. "Do you take me for my brother? Is being born Clegane a crime?"

"Murder is a crime."

"Who did I murder?"

"Lord Lothar Mallery and Ser Gladden Wylde," said Harwin.

"My brothers Lister and Lennocks," declared Jack-Be-Lucky.

"Goodman Beck and Mudge the miller's son, from Donnelwood," an old woman called from the shadows.

"Merriman's widow, who loved so sweet," added Greenbeard.

"Them septons at Sludgy Pond."

"Ser Andrey Charlton. His squire Lucas Roote. Every man, woman, and child in Fieldstone and Mousedown Mill."

"Lord and Lady Deddings, that was so rich."

Tom Sevenstrings took up the count. "Alyn of Winterfell, Joth Quickbow, Little Matt and his sister Randa, Anvil Ryn. Ser Ormond. Ser Dudley. Pate of Mory, Pate of Lancewood, Old Pate, and Pate of Shermer's Grove. Blind Wyl the Whittler. Goodwife Maerie. Maerie the Whore. Becca the Baker. Ser Raymun Darry, Lord Darry, young Lord Darry. The Bastard of Bracken. Fletcher Will. Harsley. Goodwife Nolla - "

"Enough." The Hound's face was tight with anger. "You're making noise. These names mean nothing. Who were they?"

"People," said Lord Beric. "People great and small, young and old. Good people and bad people, who died on the points of Lannister spears or saw their bellies opened by Lannister swords."

"It wasn't my sword in their bellies. Any man who says it was is a bloody liar."

"You serve the Lannisters of Casterly Rock," said Thoros.

"Once.

Arya points out that he killed Mycah but that's not why the Brotherhood caught him.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

is quentyn not going to show up in the tv series

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quite the fucker posted:

I think he's in Tyrosh hanging out with Gendry and Asha or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

quite the fucker posted:

no. never.

And while we're at it, here's everything else that's cut from the show and will never show up because it all amounts to nothing in the books apparently:

• Euron
  • Victarion
  • Yara / Asha
  • Balon dying
  • Everything else Ironborn-related
  • Dragonbinder
  • Oldtown
  • Sallera / Alleras
  • Whatever the gently caress Jaqen was doing in Oldtown
  • Fat Pink Mast
  • Lady Stoneheart
  • Brotherhood without Banners
  • Gendry
  • Slavers Bay rebellion bullshit
  • Fake Aegon
  • Jon Connington
  • Fat gently caress Manderly
  • Osha
  • Rickon
  • Skagos
  • Penny
  • Mance's bullshit
  • Val's bullshit
  • Barristan fixing Meereen
  • Xaro don't mess with the Zohan ducksaus
  • Because he's dead you see
  • Kahl Whatshisass
  • i forgot
  • gently caress the books, long live the show :unsmigghh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 14, 2015

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

Elman posted:

I think he's in Tyrosh hanging out with Gendry and Asha or something.

i hope not since he's narratively pointless, thematically redundant (ground already covered by sansa) and it's just gross to see old men like grrm disparaging youthful naivete

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

no. never.

And while we're at it, here's everything else that's cut from the show and will never show up because it all amounts to nothing in the books apparently:

• Euron
  • Victarion
  • Yara / Asha
  • Balon dying
  • Everything else Ironborn-related
  • Dragonbinder
  • Oldtown
  • Sallera / Alleras
  • Whatever the gently caress Jaqen was doing in Oldtown
  • Fat Pink Mast
  • Lady Stoneheart
  • Brotherhood without Banners
  • Gendry
  • Slavers Bay rebellion bullshit
  • Fake Aegon
  • Jon Connington
  • Fat gently caress Manderly
  • Osha
  • Rickon
  • Skagos
  • Penny
  • Mance's bullshit
  • Val's bullshit
  • Barristan fixing Meereer
  • Xaro don't mess with the Zohan ducksaus
  • Because he's dead you see
  • Kahl Whatshisass
  • i forgot
  • gently caress the books, long live the show :unsmigghh:

i'm glad of this in most cases

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Here's the thing. Not playing an important part in the conclusion of Dragons Vs White Walkers or whatever, or gaining some throne doesn't mean the character or plot arc amounts to nothing or is pointless. People seem to be looking at things the show is dropping and going 'well, guess I wasted my time enjoying reading about Strong Belwas then'.

That's not to say that some plots in Feats and Dance weren't pretty bad, or that GRUM shouldn't really be adding all these new players at this stage of the game, but just because the show has probably given away the fact that Aegon won't be involved in the end game doesn't mean it's not worth reading about my exiled bro Jon Con invading Westeros and taking back as much land as he can before he turns into The Thing, or Victarion's viking adventures.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

syscall girl posted:

Dondarrion? It's been a while but I remember a) liking him b) being pissed at myself that I hadn't noticed that it was becoming high fantasy earlier and then c) pissed at grrm for letting the hound win his trial.

Also Dondarrion must be related to Daario by the transitive property of suck.

Don"darrio"n?!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Here's the thing. Not playing an important part in the conclusion of Dragons Vs White Walkers or whatever, or gaining some throne doesn't mean the character or plot arc amounts to nothing or is pointless. People seem to be looking at things the show is dropping and going 'well, guess I wasted my time enjoying reading about Strong Belwas then'.

That's not to say that some plots in Feats and Dance weren't pretty bad, or that GRUM shouldn't really be adding all these new players at this stage of the game, but just because the show has probably given away the fact that Aegon won't be involved in the end game doesn't mean it's not worth reading about my exiled bro Jon Con invading Westeros and taking back as much land as he can before he turns into The Thing, or Victarion's viking adventures.

Here's the thing: people are loving stupid. The only thing separating the dorks who are saying "well gently caress, guess that isn't important anymore" from the dorks who care about getting spoiled is that the former read the books. They're both the same people and they both suck really badly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

whatever7 posted:

Preach it brother.

#teamstannis

after Stannis is murdered by GRRM

#teamwhitewalker

'I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.'

When Stannis dies, I'm on team "Who gives a gently caress, I'm not reading this poo poo anymore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stannis is popular in these threads because he's how chinless INTJs imagine they would be if they were born into a fantasy noble family.