Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there any way to stop Facebook bringing Firefox to its knees, popping up the "script taking too long to run" error and generally making the whole browser unresponsive.

I can restart the browser and get another half hour, or restart it and then not go on facebook, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Tried manually making a new profile, tried waterfox and that taz009 build, in addition to vanilla firefox, makes no difference.

Annoying thing is FB works fine on firefox for android!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is Firefox 38 going to have the official 64 bit release builds or is that only for the beta/"developer" preview again?

A couple months ago, 38 was supposed to be the first 64-bit stable for Windows, but I'm not sure if that's changed.

Lum posted:

Is there any way to stop Facebook bringing Firefox to its knees, popping up the "script taking too long to run" error and generally making the whole browser unresponsive.

I can restart the browser and get another half hour, or restart it and then not go on facebook, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Tried manually making a new profile, tried waterfox and that taz009 build, in addition to vanilla firefox, makes no difference.

Annoying thing is FB works fine on firefox for android!

Which extensions do you have? I used to get this, but switching from ABP to uBlock stopped this issue entirely. It wasn't an issue of hardware for me - I have an i7 3770K.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What are some good add-ons for the mobile app? uBlock apparently works, which is great, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Toast Museum posted:

What are some good add-ons for the mobile app? uBlock apparently works, which is great, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

I don't have the mobile app yet (iPhone), but from what I've read, don't pile on extensions. The limited computing power on today's phones starts to noticeably struggle with just a handful of extensions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Set YAYS to Pause or Auto-Pause, and it'll work. It's a bit clunky, but it'll work. I think. Youtube already remembers when I exit the tab during playback, so yeah.
How? I don't see it in the YAYS option menu. Do I have to edit a script or something? Just installing it didn't help at all.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

How? I don't see it in the YAYS option menu. Do I have to edit a script or something? Just installing it didn't help at all.

http://eugenox.appspot.com/script/yays

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Adding https.https://www.youtube.com to the "included" pages did the trick for getting the cog to show up (even though the included by default pages have http*, which should probably include https? weird).

Anyways... the "video resumer" doesn't seem to work either :shrug:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Toast Museum posted:

On mobile I only use 2 extensions: AdBlock and HTTPS Everywhere. I use HTTPS Everywhere (which redirects non-secure HTTP requests to HTTPS when the server supports it) for extra privacy and ensure that my connection hasn't been tampered with (like Verizon does (did?) by injecting an extra unique identifier into all non-secure web requests). Now that uBlock works on mobile I'll probably switch over.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 12, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Adding https.https://www.youtube.com to the "included" pages did the trick for getting the cog to show up (even though the included by default pages have http*, which should probably include https? weird).

Anyways... the "video resumer" doesn't seem to work either :shrug:

Sorry about that. Apparently YouTube's move to HTML5 broke Video Resumer. If it is any consolation, I found how to work YouTube's built-in resume functionality. You need to be signed in, the video needs to be at least 20 minutes, and you must have progressed past the 1 minute mark. After that, you can even restart your computer, and YouTube will resume where you left if you meet the above requirements.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I don't think it affects browser extensions, but FYI Google shut down the Youtube API v2 last week to replace it with the more secure API v3, that among other things prevents downloading of videos. This would be expected to break non-browser apps that haven't been updated.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

Which extensions do you have? I used to get this, but switching from ABP to uBlock stopped this issue entirely. It wasn't an issue of hardware for me - I have an i7 3770K.

Here's the extensions. I have the same set of extensions on two machines, and only one of them has the issue. Both have new manually created profiles. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

The machine that doesn't have problems is an i7 920 @ 3.8GHz with 2x ATI6970 in crossfire, 12GB RAM and an 80GB Intel X-25M SSD.
The machine that does have the problem is a Clevo W170HR laptop with a 2.6GHz i5, nVidia 555M optimus + Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and a 250GB Intel 330 SSD.

Not sure I want to switch from ABP if possible as I've done a lot custom element hiding stuff for an unrelated forum that has a lot of obnoxious gifs all over the place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Does Skipscreen even do anything anymore? I thought it was abandoned!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

I don't think it affects browser extensions, but FYI Google shut down the Youtube API v2 last week to replace it with the more secure API v3, that among other things prevents downloading of videos. This would be expected to break non-browser apps that haven't been updated.

I can still download no problem with youtube-dl so whatever they did must only break downloading via the API; not in general.

Unless that's what you meant in the first place.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Same with Text Link...

Anyways, you can pretty much just import your filters, including custom element hiding ones, into uBlock. And since they're both no-restart plugins, you can just temporarily run them side by side to migrate things and then do tests easily enough by switching ABP off and refreshing a page.

I don't use facebook, but you could also consider trying to block the one script that's loving up.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

Same with Text Link...

Anyways, you can pretty much just import your filters, including custom element hiding ones, into uBlock. And since they're both no-restart plugins, you can just temporarily run them side by side to migrate things and then do tests easily enough by switching ABP off and refreshing a page.

I don't use facebook, but you could also consider trying to block the one script that's loving up.

oooh, in that case I might give it a go.
With FB, if you abort the script it's complaining about then half the links stop working, e.g. the edit button and the view comments button.

Edit: I assume I have to cut+paste from adblockplus.ini into the My Filters tab of the ublock control panel.
Some of them work, some don't, and the block element feature seems to be a bit hit and miss too. Does feel faster though. Not tried it on the laptop yet.

Edit: Still running like crap on the laptop.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Read posted:

I can still download no problem with youtube-dl so whatever they did must only break downloading via the API; not in general.

Unless that's what you meant in the first place.

The old API allowed you to set something up to autodownload every new video a channel uploaded. New one you have to actually go to the page or at least enter it manually.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

The old API allowed you to set something up to autodownload every new video a channel uploaded. New one you have to actually go to the page or at least enter it manually.

Oh, huh. That would have been useful in conjunction with some filtering, shame it's gone.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

If it is any consolation, I found how to work YouTube's built-in resume functionality. You need to be signed in, the video needs to be at least 20 minutes, and you must have progressed past the 1 minute mark. After that, you can even restart your computer, and YouTube will resume where you left if you meet the above requirements.
That definitely is not how Youtube's built-in resume functionality works, because even with all the conditions holding true, the video does not resume from the same mark, but rather restarts completely. Any other ideas?

Also, whenever firefox restarts, I get a little "Plugin manager for firefox stopped working" extra error message which... duh. Any way to stop it from popping up?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

I like Phony to spoof being a desktop browser (though their user agent strings are in desperate need of update), Save Link Menu to be able to add "Save Link As..." functionality, and QuitNow to add a quit option to the menu.

It's probably evident that I don't really like the whole "mobile browser" experience.

Edit:

Lum posted:

Here's the extensions. I have the same set of extensions on two machines, and only one of them has the issue. Both have new manually created profiles. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

The machine that doesn't have problems is an i7 920 @ 3.8GHz with 2x ATI6970 in crossfire, 12GB RAM and an 80GB Intel X-25M SSD.
The machine that does have the problem is a Clevo W170HR laptop with a 2.6GHz i5, nVidia 555M optimus + Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and a 250GB Intel 330 SSD.

Not sure I want to switch from ABP if possible as I've done a lot custom element hiding stuff for an unrelated forum that has a lot of obnoxious gifs all over the place.

What does Konquefox do exactly? I'm a KDE user, but their addon page doesn't really mention anything that sounds like any kind of KDE integration. It sounds like it just adds some toolbar buttons.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 13, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Re Firefox on Android:

I don't recommend running as blocking extensions in the browser. Performance is much better using the AdAway root app (mods your host file) and it works well enough, plus its system wide.

I do use the lastpass extension on mobile, as the Android lastpass app still doesn't auto fill in Firefox last time I checked.

I run nightly on mobile for a few tasty new features, most importantly:
Background tab opening!

Added a few weeks ago, there's an option to turn it on in FF, then any link you open in browser from any app will queue to open next time you switch to the browser.

A toast message gives you the option to open immediately. Great stuff.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009
So, is there a fix for this poo poo where Firefox can't load pages with lots of pictures, I can't browse PYF gifs/imgur albums (even the ones with static pictures if they are big) for example, loads maybe 3 gifs from one page and after that its just blank, other tabs lose their pictures too until I leave the page with loads of pictures.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Turhis posted:

So, is there a fix for this poo poo where Firefox can't load pages with lots of pictures, I can't browse PYF gifs/imgur albums (even the ones with static pictures if they are big) for example, loads maybe 3 gifs from one page and after that its just blank, other tabs lose their pictures too until I leave the page with loads of pictures.

There was some talk about that on the previous page.
Try disabling the VLC Plugin.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

Tamba posted:

There was some talk about that on the previous page.
Try disabling the VLC Plugin.

I saw that but I don't have any VLC Plugins in my list.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am now using an extension to force the flash player on youtube. Surprise! Background playing of videos works again!

gently caress google.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Turhis posted:

Supposedly it is gone in whatever version of 39 is now available. Who knows when it will trickle down to the normal releases though.

Saw the bug report on it linked in another thread I can't remember. There wasn't really an explanation there or even the mention that is was worked on, so it's still a bit fuzzy what's going on.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Supposedly it is gone in whatever version of 39 is now available. Who knows when it will trickle down to the normal releases though.

Saw the bug report on it linked in another thread I can't remember. There wasn't really an explanation there or even the mention that is was worked on, so it's still a bit fuzzy what's going on.

I hope you mean 38 because when I went to check my plugins there was 38 available to download but it's not on the automatic update so I'll just for that and hope for the best.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What I read said 39, as in the one on the development channel or whatever, the one maybe scheduled for regular release in june, I don't know the right nomenclature for these things. 38 was supposedly still affected.

I'm just repeating what one guy said. For me this just means I'll be waiting this out, I'm not seeing the thing all too often.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

What I read said 39, as in the one on the development channel or whatever, the one maybe scheduled for regular release in june, I don't know the right nomenclature for these things. 38 was supposedly still affected.

I'm just repeating what one guy said. For me this just means I'll be waiting this out, I'm not seeing the thing all too often.

Oh ok, thats too bad, yeah it doesn't happen that often but when it happens, it's really annoying.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

All of my custom element hiding rules worked just fine when I made the jump from APB to uBlock Origin. The built-in element hider that uBlock has works just fine too, I've had no problems making new ones since the switch. Right Click -> Block Element. Done.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yeah, you can literally just copy+paste rules from ABP into uBlock and they'll all work without modification.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

What does Konquefox do exactly? I'm a KDE user, but their addon page doesn't really mention anything that sounds like any kind of KDE integration. It sounds like it just adds some toolbar buttons.

It adds the up button and the clear address bar buttons from Konqueror. I loved those when I used KDE 3.5 and have always missed them in other browsers, which is why I still use this extension even though I'm on Windows 8.1

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, you can literally just copy+paste rules from ABP into uBlock and they'll all work without modification.

Where do you copy from? I ended up having to copy them from the .ini file that you get when saving settings, and only some of them work.
I tended to use the "block image" facility a lot, e.g. pictures of gross skin conditions or parasites on wikipedia, or people whose forum avatar is a picture of their dick on fetlife, and these didn't seem to work.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

In the ABP Filter Preferences window. Pick the "Element Hiding Rules" filters on the left, select-all in the list on the right, then Copy under "Filter Actions"

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
uBlock doesn't support the document specifier in ABP filter syntax. Are your custom filters using that?

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/Filter-syntax-extensions

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lum posted:

It adds the up button and the clear address bar buttons from Konqueror. I loved those when I used KDE 3.5 and have always missed them in other browsers, which is why I still use this extension even though I'm on Windows 8.1
That sounds handy, I'll have to give it a test run. Though I don't know how they consider that "better integration with KDE and Linux".

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Geemer posted:

I've got that too, but instead of after hibernation (I hardly put my computer in hibernation) I get it sometimes intermittently when switching tabs, especially if it's a lot of tabs of images.
Updating graphics drivers to the latest beta version made it a lot less frequent. But it still rears it intermittently rendering head from time to time after the browser's been open for a few hours and has been to websites that have some leaky javascript; which will somehow still befuddle Firefox' terrible memory management.

I've been seeing this kind of thing more and more here lately too, and just now firefox hung up and i got a video driver recovery balloon after a minute or two. My (ATI) drivers are on the beta channel from April or early May thanks to trying to resolve it a week or two ago. About to let Firefox update to 38.0.5 beta to see if there's any difference.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Was 38.0 pulled? When I check for updates on my 37.0.2, it says I'm up-to-date.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Nope, they must be doing some staggered release stuff or something. I just updated by downloading the stub installer from their download page, which applied the 38 update.

E: God drat it, they changed something so that in Firefox 38 middle-clicking the last tab doesn't do anything, nor does clicking the X on the tab. Ctrl+W still work, as does the main window's X but gently caress that noise.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 14, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Geemer posted:

Nope, they must be doing some staggered release stuff or something. I just updated by downloading the stub installer from their download page, which applied the 38 update.

E: God drat it, they changed something so that in Firefox 38 middle-clicking the last tab doesn't do anything, nor does clicking the X on the tab. Ctrl+W still work, as does the main window's X but gently caress that noise.

I like that change. I'm constantly accidentally closing my browser window because I opened a bunch of links that I later realized I didn't want to bother with and then rapid-clicked the x or mouse wheel a bunch of times.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Aleph Null posted:

It probably was pulled, there is a 38.0.1 installer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

It probably was pulled, there is a 38.0.1 installer now.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Looks like it also fixed the poo poo with images not loading anymore, at least according to the release notes.
Also, looks like my poo poo with the middle click no longer closing the last tab may be a tab mix plus bug? Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted out asap.

E: Installing the latest dev build of tab mix plus fixes it.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 15, 2015