Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I know the MM is going a bit crazy but I got into 2 games last night where we had no less than 4 more ships than the other side. I don't care how good or bad the players are, that's some poo poo and yes we won both games quite handily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

:getin:

Also playing over the course of 2 and a half hours or so with orange juche and Hazdoc and we won 2 whole games. :rip:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I did one last match, wound up on faultlines, and 3 of our loving BBs peeled off and went on a leisurely world cruise, while everyone else was fighting to take the enemy cap. They showed up after all of our team was dead and were confused that we couldn't hold the cap minus 3 BBs. My only consolation is they only got 300 xp each at the end of the battle.

Battleship drivers are bad, really really bad.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I can confirm I'm horrible at BBs

"Is your rudder broken or something?" -Hazdoc to me after watching me drive in circles a couple of times in my New Mexico

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, any decent ways to get good at shooting in this game? I'm at a pretty nasty disadvantage by having to eyeball my fire when other people just have to point at a reticle for perfect accuracy.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Alectai posted:

So, any decent ways to get good at shooting in this game? I'm at a pretty nasty disadvantage by having to eyeball my fire when other people just have to point at a reticle for perfect accuracy.

Most goons are using the aimbots. They're unlikely to be removed any time soon, so you may as well join the club.

In all seriousness, people are saying the aimbots are actually making the game more fun. If you're struggling, give them a shot.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 15, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alectai posted:

Hold your alt key, it feeds you ranging information, after that all you need to do is figure out how far left or right you should lead your target, if you know how fast your target can move you can forgo shooting a test shot and just slam them on the first volley.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Funso Banjo posted:

Most goons are using the aimbots. They're unlikely to be removed any time soon, so you may as well join the club.

In all seriousness, people are saying the aimbots are actually making the game more fun. If you're struggling, give them a shot.

They honestly should be an optional built-in game feature up to Tier 5. After that if you don't have a natural grasp of aiming and leading you should just stick to Tier 5.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The aim bot is bloody useless for low tier BBs anyway, because your shots go every loving which way (looking at you, Kawachi, you piece of poo poo :argh:)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Funso Banjo posted:

I thought they were broken in this release?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So when they do the wipe between Closed Beta and Open Beta will the closed beta people get the bonus stuff like they did in the previous wipe based on how many battles they had fought etc?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aramoro posted:

So when they do the wipe between Closed Beta and Open Beta will the closed beta people get the bonus stuff like they did in the previous wipe based on how many battles they had fought etc?

They haven't said yet, but there's no reason to suspect we won't get a special closed beta bote - probably a tier 3 cruiser or a tier 5 destroyer, but different to the alpha bote because alpha testers should get both

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It'll be one of the Standard-type battleships. Can't remember which one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
It's gon be something dumb

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The beta Sherman is rad because nobody knows what it is

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Beach Bum posted:

The aim bot is bloody useless for low tier BBs anyway, because your shots go every loving which way (looking at you, Kawachi, you piece of poo poo :argh:)

I thought the aim mod was broken with the new patch? Is there a new one already?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I thought the aim mod was broken with the new patch? Is there a new one already?

They're russians, so what do you think? If it's not out already it will be out soon.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

The camera mod that give an upside down view the further you zoom still works.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/12780-mod031-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v022-14052015/#topmost

Krogort fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 15, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

There are several versions of this in the mod package. Which one is the best of the bunch ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The most important is to check the "enable overhead camera view" box.
The crosshair is cosmetic, I play with the one from Art.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

They're russians, so what do you think? If it's not out already it will be out soon.

The guy who made it explicitedly said that he can't make a new one because WG entirely removed the in-game functionality it took advantage of to work.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The arc of some of the US BBs is really odd, the South Carolina is almost flat.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

US battleships seem kinda worth it after tier 5. Before that point cruisers actually seem to give them a run for their money in gun fights.

Also, it's a great time to play destroyers in lower tiers.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
A Kongo was a lot of fun last night. You have bigger guns, more range and better speed that most other battleships in your tier, and there are a lot of battleships around right now. You can really do the whole dictating the range of engagement thing, except you don't really need to because you also outgun your enemy.

Can someone give me a good rule-of-thumb rundown on when to use HE vs. AP? Right now it feels like you should just HE all day every day, since it is reliable damage compared to AP.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ArchangeI posted:

Right now you should just HE all day every day, since it is reliable damage compared to AP.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
For all guns, there is a magic range where your shells are both accurate and damaging. If you shoot AP at this range, you will do amazing things like kill boats in one salvo, which is a big advantage for you.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
HE all day every day, it murderizes everything, plus offers bonus 'the world is on fire' opportunities. All my DD fights are HE only these days.

Also, holy poo poo the Fletcher is a beast. The 10km high speed torps are astonishingly good, and the guns murder enemy DDs in a huge hurry. I'm averaging 2+ kills per game where I don't get blapped by a BB first thing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

For all guns, there is a magic range where your shells are both accurate and damaging. If you shoot AP at this range, you will do amazing things like kill boats in one salvo, which is a big advantage for you.

After rigorous testing, I have found that there is absolutely no reason to shoot HE when a ship is broadsiding you and exposing itself, unless you are shooting little guns at a heavily armoured thing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, uh, I'd call this a decent daily with the x4 bonus. :stare:

That Fubuki kill was kinda freaky. Two HE shells hitting him near the stern was enough to set off his magazine and blow him up from full health and get me First Blood. :supaburn:
The torpedo damage is the Nagato getting completely played coming around an island.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 15, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
There's a x4 bonus going on?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
HE needs to be pared back just a tad and I think everything will be balanced better.

That said AP is still good situationally when you know when, where, and how to reliably pen enemy citadels.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
While googling the A-140-J2 to see what I could find for drawings, I came across this gem, from Facepunch:

Accurate.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What are those turrets ?

There is something that I don't understand with anti air in this game.
I just unlocked and upgraded the Pensacola (mix of double and triple min turrets hurt my OCD btw) and on paper it seems to have much worse anti air than the Cleveland, yet I just murdered 2 squad of bombers flying over my head during the last game.
The Cleveland has 6 dual 127mm turret, the same ammount of bofors and a kinda similar ammount of 20mm, yet seems much less effective at clearing the sky.

And I don't even have the AA range upgrade on the Pensacola...

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So the low tier US battleships, when stock, are hilariously vulnerable to torpedo bombers. Your AAA is either complete poo poo or non-existent, and your rudder shift time is horrible. But then you get that upgrade and suddenly you're actually able to shoot down planes, and can dodge torpedoes like a boss. It's a pretty stark difference.

edit: make that "low to mid tier." It's true through the Colorado, then you get to the North Carolina and suddenly you have almost 70 AA guns when stock :stwoon:.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 15, 2015

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

rossmum posted:

While googling the A-140-J2 to see what I could find for drawings, I came across this gem, from Facepunch:

Accurate.

Did you find anything? I spent about an hour last night doing the same. I concluded Wargaming used some sort of black magic and got copies of the sketches from the Japanese.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Krogort posted:

What are those turrets ?

Those are the 122mm derp gun turrets off the KV-2 heavy tank. A hilarious and hilariously awful gun.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stalin would have been proud. One filthy destroyer and two capitalistic battleships have been sunk.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those are the 122mm derp gun turrets off the KV-2 heavy tank. A hilarious and hilariously awful gun.

Nah, those are the super structures from the su-100y I'm pretty sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Axetrain posted:

The Grem uses the same 130mm naval guns as the SU-100Y, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Axetrain posted:

Correct!

Durendal posted:

Did you find anything? I spent about an hour last night doing the same. I concluded Wargaming used some sort of black magic and got copies of the sketches from the Japanese.

Some pretty basic stuff. The funny thing is that I've come across several drawings with all three turrets facing ahead, which would make it a much better ship in WoWS, but WG went with the third turret facing aft. To be fair, the Japanese tended to use that layout more (Furutaka, Myoko, Takao, Tone), so I guess it's more believable?