Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

Arrow, Community and Game of Thrones have all gone a bit crap and broken my heart. I'm the one guy who didn't enjoy Daredevil. Is there anything good on TV this year? :smith:

(To be fair, I did enjoy Better Call Saul for the most part, and The Flash is real good in parts.)

Have you watched The Americans? There's 3 seasons of that you can catch up on.

Rectify premieres season 3 next month, and seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else going to check out Wayward Pines?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

^^^I will be for sure.

Legends of Tomorrow looks amazing. Supergirl looks kinda stupid (though I'll still be giving it a shot, despite the First Look essentially being a condensed version of the entire pilot).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

Yup, very low expectations though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wayward Pines has gotten good early reviews. I'm hesitantly looking forward to it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wasn't going to watch Wayward Pines but I've heard good things so I'll probably check it out. It has a good cast, at least.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's only 10 episodes so it's not a huge ordeal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I am. It looks like it could be good and I hope it doesn't turn out to be poo poo.

Is this the one that Terrence Howard is in as a small town cop or something? It would be funny if he just turns up in one Fox show after another as each goes on hiatus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

When was the last time people gave a poo poo about something the Simpsons writing staff actually wrote? It feels like all the press this show has gotten for over a decade is "_____ did a couch gag" or "_____ made a guest appearance".

Didn't Shearer once go on about how he thinks all the scripts have been crap for years in an interview a while back? Might be confusing him with another one of the non-Simpson regular voice actors, but that's not exactly a crowded field.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why is Justin Bieber in an episode of CSI.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kurtofan posted:

Why is Justin Bieber in an episode of CSI.
He gets shot to death. This is a good thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Shearer once go on about how he thinks all the scripts have been crap for years in an interview a while back? Might be confusing him with another one of the non-Simpson regular voice actors, but that's not exactly a crowded field.

Shearer has had a contentious relationship with the writers for some time. I remember reading an interview with him around season 12 where mentioned how much he hated seeing the names of certain writers on a script and complained about how out of character some of his roles were being written. A few years later he complained that his characters weren't being featured as often in the show which prompted Al Jean to snip back that he never showed up to table reads so his lines got cut.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Jane the Virgin.

It won an Emmy after six episodes. Yeah, its that good.
No, it won a Golden Globe for lead actress in a comedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Shearer has had a contentious relationship with the writers for some time. I remember reading an interview with him around season 12 where mentioned how much he hated seeing the names of certain writers on a script and complained about how out of character some of his roles were being written. A few years later he complained that his characters weren't being featured as often in the show which prompted Al Jean to snip back that he never showed up to table reads so his lines got cut.

Harry Shearer possibly does not understand the show he is on.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Somebody making $300 - 400k an episode for a few hours of work doesn't garner a lot of sympathy, especially when the writers are making 1/100th of that each year (if that) for 50x the work.

I watch every single episode they put out, and in the last seven or eight seasons I've made it all the way through maybe 3-4 episodes each season.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Ariza posted:

I watch every single episode they put out, and in the last seven or eight seasons I've made it all the way through maybe 3-4 episodes each season.
Why would you keep doing that? That's hundreds of times you've sat down to watch a new episode knowing that 9 out to the last 10 were so bad you couldn't sit through it. That's insane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He gets shot to death. This is a good thing.

You are a grown adult openly declaring your lust for child pop star death five years after the fact without irony or reflection.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm sick of seeing the same ~15 Canadian actors in every loving show let's get out of Vancouver and film in the US again.

Just stop watching CW.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Catching the last couple of minutes of Bones after not watching it in a couple of years and man, David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel are looking kind of rough.

Also mind blown already for Wayward Pines as I just got done watching this week's I, Zombie and one of the first people on screen was Malcolm Goodwin (Det Babineaux)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Sleeveless posted:

You are a grown adult openly declaring your lust for child pop star death five years after the fact without irony or reflection.

To be fair, Justin Bieber is a dick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Catching the last couple of minutes of Bones after not watching it in a couple of years and man, David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel are looking kind of rough.

To be fair Emily's had a few kids and David is getting older.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Does anyone actually know for certain if "Supergirl" is or is not part of the larger universe of DC?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Wayward Pines would have been a "not really much of a mystery" mystery show except for one little bit. There's some kind of time shenanigans going on. There's one character who thinks they've only been in town a year and they got there in 1999 and another character who has said they've been there 12 years when the main character last saw them 5 weeks ago.

Pillowpants posted:

Does anyone actually know for certain if "Supergirl" is or is not part of the larger universe of DC?

Superman is mentioned multiple times in the trailer they put out which definitely makes it not part of the Arrow/Flash universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Actually, on the show, they used fake bullets. Justin ended up being fine.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

So Wayward Pines would have been a "not really much of a mystery" mystery show except for one little bit. There's some kind of time shenanigans going on. There's one character who thinks they've only been in town a year and they got there in 1999 and another character who has said they've been there 12 years when the main character last saw them 5 weeks ago.

Superman is mentioned multiple times in the trailer they put out which definitely makes it not part of the Arrow/Flash universe.

They don't actually say superman though? They just say her cousin, which kind of like mentioning random DC cities in arrow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What is "not really much of a mystery" about it? I'd say there's a pretty goddamn significant part of it that is mysterious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Which one?

It's not part of the Arrow/Flash TV universe (though it could be later.) It is likely not part of the movie universe but no I don't think there's 100% confirmation out there.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

The pilot was directed by Arrow/Flash regular Glen Winter, and the opening "My name is Kara Zor-El" mimics those shows, but I imagine they're keeping all options open without actually confirming anything.

Best case scenario: they replace Calista Flockhart with Jada Pinkett Smith.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

What is "not really much of a mystery" about it? I'd say there's a pretty goddamn significant part of it that is mysterious.

I just meant that without the time stuff it becomes too easy to just guess the mystery as it didn't really seem like it was doing anything too different from similar shows.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

At this point I've given up on shows that rely on some big mystery for their plot. They never bother to resolve the mystery, and half the time the writers are just making poo poo up as they go along and just adding more unanswered questions.

The writers are just jerking us around, so you know what, gently caress any show based around some big weird mystery. If the show can go through one season without adding a half dozen extra mysteries that the writers pulled out of their asses, I might consider watching it.

Oh yeah, they've got M. Night Shyamalan to give his seal of approval, despite the fact that he's a hack that relies on twist endings. Do you think we're getting The Sixth Sense Shyamalan? I'm pretty sure we're probably getting Lady in the Water Shyamalan.

So yeah, I'm gonna skip Wayward Pines.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Also mind blown already for Wayward Pines as I just got done watching this week's I, Zombie and one of the first people on screen was Malcolm Goodwin (Det Babineaux)

I read the Wayward Pines novel and this is a pretty good version so far. It's a really bizarre story, but if they can pull it off it'll be great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm so how did they get rid of Nina Dobrev on TVD last night?

Also: Scandal fell off a cliff huh. I only saw the first season, what's going on that's so bad?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 15, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

At this point I've given up on shows that rely on some big mystery for their plot. They never bother to resolve the mystery, and half the time the writers are just making poo poo up as they go along and just adding more unanswered questions.

The writers are just jerking us around, so you know what, gently caress any show based around some big weird mystery. If the show can go through one season without adding a half dozen extra mysteries that the writers pulled out of their asses, I might consider watching it.

Oh yeah, they've got M. Night Shyamalan to give his seal of approval, despite the fact that he's a hack that relies on twist endings. Do you think we're getting The Sixth Sense Shyamalan? I'm pretty sure we're probably getting Lady in the Water Shyamalan.

This actually has a logical answer that explains every mystery. Like, it's a loving batshit insane plot, but it is logical.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

zoux posted:

Enchanted sleep until one of her friends dies. So nominally she's either done for the next 70 years or 5 minutes, depending on how you look at it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have zero sympathy for Matt Dylan in any role. I just want to punch his face in, so i was glad to see him getting mind hosed.

Also Carla Gugino :worship:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Also: Scandal fell off a cliff huh. I only saw the first season, what's going on that's so bad?

I've got half a season to catch up to (maybe), but from skimming reviews it seems Kai comes back after Elena takes the human cure, links her into something like magical cryogenic stasis to Bonnie where as long Bonnie is alive, Elena won't wake up. This is all to spite Damon or something but of course is too stupid to realize that Damon can just wait out Bonnie's natural life to be with Elena, and kills Kai. Of course given how often Bonnie dies, this might not be very long at all.

edit: beaten

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Junkenstein posted:

This actually has a logical answer that explains every mystery. Like, it's a loving batshit insane plot, but it is logical.

Absolutely. It has really no loose ends and an actual no cheap shots resolution.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I have zero sympathy for Matt Dylan in any role. I just want to punch his face in, so i was glad to see him getting mind hosed.

Also Carla Gugino :worship:

I was confused about his description of Carla Gugino's character, especially when he said she was 27. I was all, I know she looks good but girl can't pass for that. Which of course lead to the whole time stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just meant that without the time stuff it becomes too easy to just guess the mystery as it didn't really seem like it was doing anything too different from similar shows.

I don't know that it's necessarily time stuff, there seems to be a lot of brain experimenting going on and clearly everyone inside the town is either a test subject or is spying on a test subject, so there could just be some mind fuckery based around convincing them that they've been there for X amount of time.

thrakkorzog posted:

It's a 10-episode miniseries and based on a book that was not written by Shyamalan, so I think it's worth a try. The first episode got me somewhat interested at least.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

So do you think they'll actually explain the batshit plot, or will they just drag it out into the next season? Plus add a bunch of side plots. Before you answer, I'd recommend watching Under the Dome. It was a decent story, but hey, writers gotta pull subplots out of their asses to make it a TV show.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread