Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SEKCobra posted:

Unpopular opinion:
I like the HP CLI far more than Cisco, it's just way more intuitive and easy. Starts with /24 notation and easily editing multiple interfaces etc.

I actually really like the HP CLI too, although I've only had to use it once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

The lack of CIDR slash notation on the IOS CLI does annoy me a bit. However this issue is remedied in IPv6, thank god. I use VI now and then because I have to, I still don't like it

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Wow. I need a new wireless router with gigabit ports, kinda wanted to break into AC, and I even wanted to pick up an 8-port switch for my office. And I just got paid today. So this is basically perfect. Thanks!

Glad it was helpful! I recently got a C5 on a different combo deal, and it's actually far more router than I really need to cover the house and a handful of wireless thingies. It's been running flawlessly from day one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

Newegg's latest 72-hour sale has the Archer C5 for $79.99, plus a free 8-port gigabit switch with promo code EMCASKS48.

Promo's gone now...poo poo. :(

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Already? drat. Guess I'll have to be faster with the link next time something good pops up.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
They also have a combo deal for a C7 router + SB141 cable modem for $140. That's a pretty good deal if you need to get both.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

Already? drat. Guess I'll have to be faster with the link next time something good pops up.

I don't really know how NewEgg's 72-hr thing works. Do they just bring them back in stock if they have any or is that just it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was curious about moving up to the C8 because I'd like to attach a USB 3 drive for backups and everything below is USB 2.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Synology pushing out their own routers for some reason,

http://geekbeat.tv/synology-introduces-the-new-wifi-router-rt1900ac/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MrMoo posted:

http://geekbeat.tv/synology-introduces-the-new-wifi-router-rt1900ac/

Thats pretty sweet that it runs DSM

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

Krailor posted:

They also have a combo deal for a C7 router + SB141 cable modem for $140. That's a pretty good deal if you need to get both.

Moving tomorrow and stuck with Comcast so I snatched this up, thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrMoo posted:

I don't get why the consumer marketplace is so saturated with routers these days. There isn't much margin on them anymore. Although they are easier to make now so that probably helps. Most of the industry just uses a reference chipset from Broadcom or some other WiFi chipset maker, tweaks it to their liking and price point, and just has to figure out the OS side of things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I don't get why the consumer marketplace is so saturated with routers these days. There isn't much margin on them anymore. Although they are easier to make now so that probably helps. Most of the industry just uses a reference chipset from Broadcom or some other WiFi chipset maker, tweaks it to their liking and price point, and just has to figure out the OS side of things.

You've just described the entire IT industry.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Antillie posted:

gently caress you GUI. Give me a CLI any day.

The IOS CLI is amazingly efficient once you learn how to use it. Its junipers that have the CLI from hell. I will grant that IOS does have a bit of a learning curve, or maybe cliff, whatever.

True, I would take Cisco IOS over Juniper's pitiful GUI.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

e.pilot posted:

True, I would take Cisco IOS over Juniper's pitiful GUI.

Yeah but Junos kicks rear end. I hate working on other platforms now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moey posted:

Yeah but Junos kicks rear end. I hate working on other platforms now.

JunOS CLI is awesome, but to be fair the GUI sucks major balls.

Which shouldn't matter because you should all be using CLI to manage your poo poo anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I actually really like the HP CLI too, although I've only had to use it once or twice.

I like HP's CLI and their little CLI menu. It's great for documenting stuff so other people can deploy.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So my R6300 just bricked during a Genie initiated reboot for the 5th time since I've owned it...and this time it's giving me a lot of trouble flashing the firmware with TFTP. I tried a 30/30/30 reset and it did nothing, and I can't ping its IP when it is hardlined to my PC. Does this mean it's truly, officially dead?

If so...what's a good replacement? I'm leery about Netgear with all the problems I've had with the R6300, but their other products have been fine, so I'd be ok buying another router from them on good recommendation.

I need one that can act as a bridge, and provide decent speeds to multiple devices.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devorum posted:

So my R6300 just bricked during a Genie initiated reboot for the 5th time since I've owned it...and this time it's giving me a lot of trouble flashing the firmware with TFTP. I tried a 30/30/30 reset and it did nothing, and I can't ping its IP when it is hardlined to my PC. Does this mean it's truly, officially dead?

If so...what's a good replacement? I'm leery about Netgear with all the problems I've had with the R6300, but their other products have been fine, so I'd be ok buying another router from them on good recommendation.

I need one that can act as a bridge, and provide decent speeds to multiple devices.
Netgear generally sucks. Asus would be a much better bet. N/AC-68.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How's the ASUS RT-66U? I've got one of the stores here offering $130 for it

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ThermoPhysical posted:

How's the ASUS RT-66U? I've got one of the stores here offering $130 for it
Google. The chipsets and RAM suck compared to the 56/68U. But it does have pretty good reviews. I went with a 56U due to reviews plus a friends experience.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Google. The chipsets and RAM suck compared to the 56/68U. But it does have pretty good reviews. I went with a 56U due to reviews plus a friends experience.

Yeah, I posted that when I was at the store. Since then, I've been looking around places like smallnetbuilder.com and whatnot for more insight and advice and it looks like the Archos C5 is top on their "Top Performing Routers"...but most of the reviews say that the C5 has trouble with Ethernet and 2.4GHz is lacking...neither of which would be ok with my current situation.

I asked around about the 66U and most of my friends state it's bad or that you have to flash a new firmware out of the box because the out-of-box one is broken. Also, the wireless speeds are slow and it seemed to have a shelf life of about 2 years.

I'm honestly looking more towards the AC68U for now...also maybe sales here and there.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I asked around about the 66U and most of my friends state it's bad or that you have to flash a new firmware out of the box because the out-of-box one is broken. Also, the wireless speeds are slow and it seemed to have a shelf life of about 2 years.

I'm honestly looking more towards the AC68U for now...also maybe sales here and there.

Your friends may be misinformed? The Asus stock firmware is absolutely fine and works well. There's a tweaked version called Merlin's which is basically just Stock with a few extra features. Or you can run Tomato / DD-WRT if you want something completely different.

You can also check on smallnetbuilder for detailed reviews of the various Asus / Netgear units.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Your friends may be misinformed? The Asus stock firmware is absolutely fine and works well. There's a tweaked version called Merlin's which is basically just Stock with a few extra features. Or you can run Tomato / DD-WRT if you want something completely different.

You can also check on smallnetbuilder for detailed reviews of the various Asus / Netgear units.

I think they were misinformed as well, I checked around and it seems the 66U is just as good as the 68U in some cases like the 5Ghz.

But, speaking of that, TigerDirect has an insider's deal with the 68U for $149.99 so I just snapped that up. Unfortunately, it was on my boyfriend's account so I don't think there's a link I can give out. :(

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think they were misinformed as well, I checked around and it seems the 66U is just as good as the 68U in some cases like the 5Ghz.

But, speaking of that, TigerDirect has an insider's deal with the 68U for $149.99 so I just snapped that up. Unfortunately, it was on my boyfriend's account so I don't think there's a link I can give out. :(

I have been using a 66U for almost 2 years now, the stock firmware is just fine.

Although I do use Merlin's version now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The latest merlin firmware has tor and ad blocking built in. Need to try it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rakthar posted:

I posted about 2 pages back about the N66 losing the WAN IP whenever the power blinks, router reboots, firmware update, or even applies some changes. Once that happens I have to do the power unplug on cable modem for 2+ minutes before it'll get a new one. I did the change of DHCP frequency query to normal since Charter has issues with that apparently. In the past 3 days I've had to power cycle the modem twice to get it.

Anyone have any ideas before I cash the extended warranty on it in?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So I've had the Archer C7 every since the thread recommended it. It seems to be causing a weird thing where it will occasionally pick a device connected to it and stealthily disconnect it. The device will still think it is connected ok, but will not be able to reach anything. No sites, no connections at all. Anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing it's the router since I didn't have this problem with the R6300, That had it's own problems.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
I'm looking to eventually wire my home with Ethernet and was wondering if there were recommendations on a home rackmount shelving system whether it be an official kit or some Ikea hack.

Pics would be awesome.

Thanks

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HONKER24 posted:

I'm looking to eventually wire my home with Ethernet and was wondering if there were recommendations on a home rackmount shelving system whether it be an official kit or some Ikea hack.

Pics would be awesome.

Thanks

I use this
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-12-25--Inch-Bracket-108628/dp/B008F0YAZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431914391&sr=8-1&keywords=rack+mount+7u

and it works awesome

As long as you dont need deper than 12 inches.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Went ahead and got the AC87U since it was $180 at TigerDirect.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7863451-1-d...&src=SiteSearch

AC87U new is $199, refurb is $180
AC68U new is $149, refurb is $135

If you use this, it'll knock 10% off; if you have Bank of America it'll knock another 10% off.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7787393-tigerdirect-offer-save-10-on-your-next-order-free-shipping-for-the-next-6-months-new-customers-back-again

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I have an issue with the network at my house, we have a router from AT&T and it reaches to certain room. We threw wi-fi extenders around the house but they definitely don't work great (and I'm honestly not even sure they're hooked up right.) Not only that, but when too many people use the internet at the same time, connections get dropped. I'm not sure why, as we should really only be having like 7 laptops, 3 - 5 video game consoles, 5 phones, and I think the cable is internet? (The cable goes out when we turn off the router.)

What can I do to stop the connection drops, (which only happen during the busy times of day when everyone is using it,) and how do I know the wifi extender is working. Wouldn't it also be better to set up a relay?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
WiFi extenders tend to be pretty flaky, on top of the whole 'halving your effective bandwidth' problem (I suspect multiple extenders is only making that worse); it's possible you might even be running into the issue of the extenders latching onto each other for atrocious overall performance.

You would be better off getting powerline adapters and hooking up an access point to each one. Hell, there are even combination powerline/AP units, although they can sometimes be hit or miss from what I have read. Just give them all the same SSID/password on different channels and it should be a pretty seamless experience from the end user's point of view.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
There isn't much you can do if you are on ATT since you are basically stuck with their terrible router. You can do what the guy above me said and extend the wifi coverage but that means putting more people in your network and will most likely strain the terrible router even more and kill it more often.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

Thanks so much - this was exactly what I needed.

My final set-up will look very similar to yours with the main difference being a second POE switch for security cameras.

I'm a bit anxious about drilling blindly behind drywall but I gotta do what I gotta do, son.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HONKER24 posted:

I'm a bit anxious about drilling blindly behind drywall but I gotta do what I gotta do, son.

Get a stud finder that will detect copper pipes and electrical.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HONKER24 posted:

Thanks so much - this was exactly what I needed.

My final set-up will look very similar to yours with the main difference being a second POE switch for security cameras.

Yea, ill be getting a POE switch too which is why i got a larger one. Also use a stud finder and mount it into studs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Turtlicious posted:

So I have an issue with the network at my house, we have a router from AT&T and it reaches to certain room. We threw wi-fi extenders around the house but they definitely don't work great (and I'm honestly not even sure they're hooked up right.) Not only that, but when too many people use the internet at the same time, connections get dropped. I'm not sure why, as we should really only be having like 7 laptops, 3 - 5 video game consoles, 5 phones, and I think the cable is internet? (The cable goes out when we turn off the router.)

What can I do to stop the connection drops, (which only happen during the busy times of day when everyone is using it,) and how do I know the wifi extender is working. Wouldn't it also be better to set up a relay?

I'm not sure which router you have, but I had similar issues. The router just chokes on a bunch of wifi clients. It's not even traffic, just the number of clients. I have 7 to 10 wifi devices at any given time in my house and the provided wifi router would just crap out and need to be rebooted.

I turned wifi off on the provided U-Verse router and put in an Airport Extreme to act as a wireless bridge and it's been solid ever since. I would recommend a similar course of action.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DaNzA posted:

There isn't much you can do if you are on ATT since you are basically stuck with their terrible router. You can do what the guy above me said and extend the wifi coverage but that means putting more people in your network and will most likely strain the terrible router even more and kill it more often.

Can't you put the ATT router into bridge mode and use a better router for WiFi and network handling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Can't you put the ATT router into bridge mode and use a better router for WiFi and network handling?
What bridge mode? :q:

(IIRC you can't, the best you can do is DMZ plus but people are still hitting the 1024 session limit with that, basically there's no true DMZ/bridge mode)