Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Got assigned a "Jumbo" for the first time. Man, that frontal armor is great.

* plink *

* plink *

JUMBO CARES NOT for your puny PAK 38s and Panzer IVs. :getin:

Jumbo does care about getting shot in the side armor by a Pak 40 though. :doh: I think it sent small fries at me at first just to lure me into a sense of false security.

Actually, some of those dice rolls seem kinda funny. First one is 2+1 = 5? And the third one is 4+3 = 4?

[edit] With the Jumbo shot out from under me, I'm assigned a 76L armed Sherman, so of course I am only offered one HVAP shell and we run into nothing but small fry until a JagdPanzer IV shows up. Fucker fires at me and amazingly the shot glances off my front turret armor. I order the single HVAP I got to be loaded next and fire the chambered AP round (mostly just to clear it, standard AP can't hurt a JgdPzIV's frontal armor), it scores a critical! Rof Maintained! HVAP away! Hit! An AP crit and an HVAP hit, this rear end in a top hat has to be dead.

Both shots get absorbed by the dirt as I failed to notice he was hull down. To make matters worse his second shot also hits my turret (I am hull down as well, so of course HIS shots hit the turret while mine hit hull), except this one penetrates, killing my gunner instantly and seriously wounding my commander.
Game Over. :negative:

That said, I do like the fact you don't get to see the results of your gunfire until your mad frenzy of lobbing shells downrange is over. More than once I've fired a half dozen AP rounds at a Panther or SPG's exposed flanks and scored a good 3-4 hits only for the very first shot to have knocked it out. Better too many than too little, I always say! Pretty realistic too, since Tankers would often shoot a hit target multiple times just to make sure it was dead.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would definitely get in on a roguelike LP megathread.
Same

I missed getting in on the one Agent355 did but have some ideas kickin around

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Invisible Inc. LP question. On your first playthrough you have to use the starter character / programs. Would you rather watch an LP with starter loadout (more immediately relevant) or nonstarter (so your first game feels fresh)? I like starter loadout a lot so I don't mind playing it again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
You could do a beginner run with the basic loadout to show how everything works together, then play of Expert or Expert Plus and show off how much the difficulty is increased. That way viewers will better understand what it is you're doing and trying to do once things start going tits-up. I tried a Experienced run with Shalom 11 and Banks, but I kept splitting the party and on the third mission I stepped into a few failure spirals that ate my rewinds. Good game, and I enjoy getting new agents and equipment even when I lose.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Four levels into hell, my most successfull AoMr run to date turns a corner into a Baron of Hell and Mancubus, eats attacks from both of them, bounces into the lava, and dies.

I'm probably never going to have a run that good again, I had an energy combat pistol, an OP-modded red armour, and the backpack. :negative:

At least I got the Brick Silver Badge. I'm now just one badge away from 1st Lieutenant rank, and clearing either AoMr or AoMC should get me that.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only "Problem" with doing an ArmCom LP in a RL-Megathread is I would have to cut the "goon sign up" part because I really wouldn't want such a thread to get spammed with Dwarf Fortress like "Dwarf me" posts (not that I would expect such a strong response). Honestly not that big a loss, really. Maybe I'll do themed crew names instead.

The DFLP threads have started using Google Forms/Docs to handle signups rather than doing it in-thread, which works a lot better.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 15, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

LawfulWaffle posted:

You could do a beginner run with the basic loadout to show how everything works together, then play of Expert or Expert Plus and show off how much the difficulty is increased. That way viewers will better understand what it is you're doing and trying to do once things start going tits-up. I tried a Experienced run with Shalom 11 and Banks, but I kept splitting the party and on the third mission I stepped into a few failure spirals that ate my rewinds. Good game, and I enjoy getting new agents and equipment even when I lose.

As someone who hasn't played yet this sounds good to me. It always feels a bit irritating when an LPer uses "new game plus" stuff on the first runthrough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh hey, in ArmCom if you stun a target that is already stunned, the crew bails the gently caress out. Nice. Maybe there is a point to lobbing HE uselessly at a tank. :v:

Now I'm tempted to try firing some White Phosphorus smoke rounds at enemy tanks to see if the crew will bail out because they think they're on fire.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wow, that's a lot of interest! I'll get to work on getting an OP/first update out for tomorrow (which should go relatively quickly with Rogue).

I've also come up with a short list of rules (some of which are stolen/modified from the DCSS thread) that I wanted to run by quick to see if everyone is cool with them:

quote:

1) It has to be a roguelike/rogue-lite, which means permadeath and procedural levels/content at a minimum. Also, don't savescum it, since it makes the permadeath part meaningless (if you do, at least don't make it obvious).

2) Don't be a dick and argue over whether something is a roguelike, unless it is very obviously not a roguelike (see rule #1).

3) It has to be a game in which death is not a requirement for victory. This refers to games in which you unlock items/upgrades upon dying, and are near impossible/completely impossible to beat on a fresh start/new game (for example, Rogue Legacy), not games in which death is the only ending available (as some games are about surviving/don't have an ending yet). The reasoning for this rule is that roguelikes are usually very challenging, and it adds to the excitement if you have no idea if what you are reading/watching could be a spectacular victory or another glorious defeat. Knowing in advance that someone has to die at least a couple times to even start with a viable character kind of kills the tension.

4) As a follow up to #3, New Game+ is allowed, but try showing off what a new game attempt/victory looks like first.

5) When posting an update, make sure to include a title (what game, what part, what character/run#, etc.) at the top of your post. If it's a screenshot LP, links to the previous and next parts are also appreciated for convenience.

6) There is NO LIMIT to how many people/games can go on in the thread at a time, but only one game/run per person at a time. Don't post a new run/game until you have finished your previous run (with the exception of extraordinary circumstances, such as a lost save file).
Any additions/removals/modifications?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

remove the entire list. rules are dumb. if someone posts something you dont like tell them to not be retarded

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks good, and hopefully Rule 2 means no one will launch a debate about if something like ArmCom is a proper RL.

Little worried about spamming such a thread with screenshots, though the 1208x782 screens for ArmCom are only about 90kb each. That said, I'm not looking forward to ALT+PrintSCRN. CTRL-Ving dozens of screenshots. Maybe I should look into a screen grabbing tool (sadly steam overlay, which would've been my lazy method, doesn't work with the game).

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Floodkiller posted:

Wow, that's a lot of interest! I'll get to work on getting an OP/first update out for tomorrow (which should go relatively quickly with Rogue).

I've also come up with a short list of rules (some of which are stolen/modified from the DCSS thread) that I wanted to run by quick to see if everyone is cool with them:

Any additions/removals/modifications?

Rule 3 seems dumb. Some of the best game stories I've read have been prefaced by "YAASD" or something to that effect. If an LP is well written/interesting, knowing that it does not or cannot end in victory is unimportant.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Magitek posted:

Rule 3 seems dumb. Some of the best game stories I've read have been prefaced by "YAASD" or something to that effect. If an LP is well written/interesting, knowing that it does not or cannot end in victory is unimportant.

I think the idea is more that reading an LP of somebody grinding through unavoidable deaths to get enough shinies that a new character might possibly have half a chance of surviving isn't interesting. It's more of a division between two types of games - dying as a form of meta-game advancement versus dying as a possible (and most likely) conclusion to an otherwise winnable game. Rogue Legacy is a good example of the former, watching somebody get butchered on their first character in to that wouldn't be interesting at all. Though It would be incredibly impressive to see somebody take that kind of game and break it over their knee by winning on the first run anyway.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Four levels into hell, my most successfull AoMr run to date turns a corner into a Baron of Hell and Mancubus, eats attacks from both of them, bounces into the lava, and dies.

Mancubi are assholes; if you hear even the faintest grunt from one you should start being very wary about stepping out into the open without throwing a few bullets into the area first. (I realize this is significantly harder with a pistol.)

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Hmm, there are some survival roguelikes without a win condition that I think would be interesting to see if someone wanted to run them - Unreal World or Cataclysm, for example. If you wanted to prevent LPs without end and don't trust people to know when to stop, I guess, maybe allow those games to be LPed if the runners declare their own win condition of some sort.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

You might also want to link to particularly good past roguelike LPs - TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP, Smite's Rogue Legacy LP, the Crawl group LP, and Psychadelic Eyeball's Spelunky LP spring to mind.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I still think Haifisch's Chaos Knight of Order run in Crawl is the most hilarious roguelike-related thing on the forums.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Magitek posted:

That's a good point, and it seems like it's wordy and confusing anyway. I'll cut it and rule #4; if people don't want to read or watch it, then they can just skip it anyway.

I'll also shorten/revise the list to feel less like hard and strict rules, since re-reading them did feel like they were harsh. I'm keeping the "No Arguing" as a rule, though :colbert:

Here's a revised list of 'guidelines':

quote:

1) Don't be a dick and argue over whether something is a roguelike or not (unless it is very obviously not a roguelike). If it has permadeath and procedural generation, it's good enough for the thread.

2) When posting an update, make sure to include a title (what game, what part, what character/run#, etc.) at the top of your post. If it's a screenshot LP, links to the previous and next parts are also appreciated. This makes the thread easier to navigate.

3) There is NO LIMIT to how many people/games can go on in the thread at a time, but keep it to one game/run at a time. If you get tired of a game, just tell everyone you're stopping it before starting the next one.
This seem better?

pumpinglemma posted:

You might also want to link to particularly good past roguelike LPs - TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP, Smite's Rogue Legacy LP, the Crawl group LP, and Psychadelic Eyeball's Spelunky LP spring to mind.

Good idea; I'll make sure to grab to find and grab those links as well!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Post in here with the thread goes up with a link. Ive got a few games I can beat that I wouldnt mind LPing, including IVAN. :unsmigghh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I might contribute some DoomRL-related content, although it won't be of the same caliber as, say, Roonespism.

Stelas posted:

Mancubi are assholes; if you hear even the faintest grunt from one you should start being very wary about stepping out into the open without throwing a few bullets into the area first. (I realize this is significantly harder with a pistol.)

I play on the server, which means in tty mode. There is no sound.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why would you do that to yourself?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
How do you even play DoomRL without sound? That poo poo is so helpful.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Shalem 11 is awesome.

I think I'll do an Expert run with the basic loadout and then E+ with a strange one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think rule 3 could have been kept but shortened to "No rogue legacy".

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Which of the big 4 is most similar to TOME? ADOM?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GreyPowerVan posted:

Which of the big 4 is most similar to TOME? ADOM?

If by "big 4" you mean NetHack/Crawl/Angband/ADOM, then ToME got started as an Angband variant.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I might contribute some DoomRL-related content, although it won't be of the same caliber as, say, Roonespism.

Gosh.

I've dabbled in streaming and recording stuff so I could probably show off some DoomRL too. I haven't had a lot of good reasons to play these days.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If by "big 4" you mean NetHack/Crawl/Angband/ADOM, then ToME got started as an Angband variant.
This is true, but vanilla Angband is a very different beast - it doesn't really have anything like TOME's skill system, for example. For me the major fascination with TOME is with the flexible character building, and for something like that you're probably best off with Crawl (although ADOM would be good too).

Roonerspism posted:

Gosh.

I've dabbled in streaming and recording stuff so I could probably show off some DoomRL too. I haven't had a lot of good reasons to play these days.
I'd love to see some DoomRL play from someone who's better at it than me!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In a better world, Sangband would still be lively and jousting vigorously with Crawl when it comes to hyper detailed/"flexible" character building.

https://code.google.com/p/skills-angband/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think Angband and it's more direct descendants kind of collapsed under the weight of the original design.

Really, Angband was a bloated version of Moria to begin with, and Tome continues that grand tradition nicely :v:

I find Sil particularly interesting for this reason, because it isn't really a huge divergence if you look at it as more of a return to Moria's (comparative) simplicity than a reductive remake of Angband.

Hmm... speaking of kitchen sink games, I should really check out Elona+ some time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Why would you do that to yourself?

I can play from anywhere with a net connection without worrying about syncing my saves and settings between machines, and a lot of the time I'm playing in situations where I can't or don't want to turn sound on anyways.

Lilli posted:

How do you even play DoomRL without sound? That poo poo is so helpful.

Badly.

I would actually like to make a mod that adds log messages for things that would normally have sound - it's stupid that DoomRL doesn't already have this - but the modding API isn't powerful enough, and since it's closed-source I can't fix it.

(That said, some people's replays on the server show pretty definitively that you don't need sound to play well.)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ArmCom 6.4 is out. Mostly just minor fixes and clarifications, but it does include giving you XP/VPs on days where your tank doesn't make it the whole day before being knocked out/disabled.

[edit] Seems to have a nasty bug regarding loading shells for successive attacks. I'm sure he'll fix it promptly. Turns out it was because I was trying to load a save from 6.3, which was causing issues.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 16, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

victrix posted:

Hmm... speaking of kitchen sink games, I should really check out Elona+ some time.
I discovered a technique to make your character scream so loud that the entire map eventually morphs into dirt terrain. Hate mazes and liquid death? Scream them away.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Well I'll repost it if a formal thread gets made, but here's the first video of my Invisible Inc. LP.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

victrix posted:

Elona is funny to play once, and read about a couple of times, and then it collapses under the realization that no matter what path of progression you choose you're going to be doing the same thing literally thousands of times to get anywhere. Novelty value and endless repetition are a very poor combination.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Elona is funny to play once, and read about a couple of times, and then it collapses under the realization that no matter what path of progression you choose you're going to be doing the same thing literally thousands of times to get anywhere. Novelty value and endless repetition are a very poor combination.

One of the more recent Elona+ versions added "overdose mode", which makes all training 20 times faster. It REALLY cuts the grind.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So, I decided to start playing ADOM and read through one of the let's plays here from 2011. I head into the first dungeon and find... an altar! It's now day 5, I'm level 6, and I have... this

This is good, right :eng101:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

So, I decided to start playing ADOM and read through one of the let's plays here from 2011. I head into the first dungeon and find... an altar! It's now day 5, I'm level 6, and I have... this

This is good, right :eng101:

This poster has already died to paralysis spam or wilderness starvation.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

One of the more recent Elona+ versions added "overdose mode", which makes all training 20 times faster. It REALLY cuts the grind.

This completely fucks the gold curve, though, unless they've changed it since.

That said Elona+ is much nicer to the player either way - it dramatically cut training times and added extra ways to get back your training potential.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was already talking about Elona+

I don't even want to think about vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

This poster has already died to paralysis spam or wilderness starvation.

Actually, I was paralyzed for a good 40 turns earlier, but nothing could hurt me at my current level.

I don't doubt I'm going to die soon though, this is like my third character and I have no idea how to play.