Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

For every decent TV adaption you can remember, I can name two bad TV adaptations we would like to forget about.

Doesn't sound like a very fun game, think I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thrakkorzog posted:

Well off the top of my head, Under the Dome

Was billed as a series and never intended to cover all the material in the first season. It wasn't a miniseries. It was always going to be it's own thing. There isn't some massive list of adaptations out there that cover a completed work, show all it's content, and then go "Wow that seems like it made some money, lets just start making poo poo up now!". You either plan to do that from moment one or you don't do it at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

thrakkorzog posted:

Well off the top of my head, Under the Dome was a self contained novel that got turned into a lovely series. You really don't want to argue that some books adapted for TV were good, because their really aren't that many good adaptations. There's Roots, and Game of Thrones

haha what the gently caress

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

haha what the gently caress

Hey, I put Game of Thrones on the maybe pile.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can we all just agree that final verdicts on Game of Thrones should be withheld until, you know, the show ends?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thwomp posted:

Can we all just agree that final verdicts on Game of Thrones should be withheld until, you know, the show ends?

You're hilarious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrakkorzog posted:

None of us have actually seen the show, and a bunch of people are just hoping that in this case a particular mystery show might actually be good.

Actually the first episode came on yesterday and was pretty good, and the advance reviews were pretty good, so it's getting kind of weird how hard you're trying to justify your insane hatred of a show you clearly don't want to watch. Just... don't watch it, and go on with your life, man.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Think it's safe to add Generation Kill to the good list.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

raditts posted:

Actually the first episode came on yesterday and was pretty good, and the advance reviews were pretty good, so it's getting kind of weird how hard you're trying to justify your insane hatred of a show you clearly don't want to watch. Just... don't watch it, and go on with your life, man.

I actually don't hate the show, or care that much about it. I just tried to point out that it's a mystery show and the writers pull poo poo from their asses to draw out the mystery, and everybody got pissed because somehow I'm wrong, and this time the show will be better, and different from all those other mystery shows. Despite the fact that it's like every other mystery show ever. You can try arguing that maybe this time it might have a good ending, but you're probably just going to end up trying to justify the ending to Lost.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 15, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

I actually don't hate the show, or care that much about it. I just tried to point out that it's a mystery show and the writers pull poo poo from their asses to draw out the mystery, and everybody got pissed because somehow I'm wrong and this time the show will be better and different from all those other mystery shows.

Show me on the doll where Damon Lindeof touched you.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

zoux posted:

Show me on the doll where Damon Lindeof touched you.

Where's the Tim Kring Doll?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thrakkorzog posted:

Despite the fact that it's like every other mystery show ever.

The difference is that it's a miniseries based on a completed work that totally covers all the mysteries in a whacked but entirely clear and 'reasonable' manner. Why would the writers have to make poo poo up and draw things out, it's all there already. To which you say "Yeah well what if they keep going then maybe they'd do stupid stuff and thus the show could be terrible" to which people say "Take a loving lap, you are done talking about this".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

thrakkorzog posted:

Where's the Tim Kring Doll?

Over there, with its head cut open and brain removed.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

The difference is that it's a miniseries based on a completed work that totally covers all the mysteries in a whacked but entirely clear and 'reasonable' manner. Why would the writers have to make poo poo up and draw things out, it's all there already. To which you say "Yeah well what if they keep going then maybe they'd do stupid stuff and thus the show could be terrible" to which people say "Take a loving lap, you are done talking about this".

Well if the TV adaptation actually lines up with the book version, then congratulations, that is quite literally the first time that has ever happened in the past 50 years.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Olive Kitteridge and Mildred Pierce on HBO were brilliant book adaptations

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Pretty Little Liars is adapted from a young adult book series, though it veered off pretty wildly from the books' plot after the first season or so. It had a couple good seasons in the middle before time warped and somehow Toby went through police academy and became a full-fledged officer in like a week. And the writing furiously tried to redeem Ezra immediately after doubling down on him knowingly trying to hook up with a high schooler. (Toby and Ezra are the worst and the show will continue to be stupid so long as it keeps insisting that they're both unequivocally 'good guys'.)

The Vampire Diaries I'm pretty sure is also adapted from some YA books, and had a couple seasons that were at least entertaining before the wheels (I have heard) came off.

Aaaand The 100 I think has a book series its based on, though I don't think the two share many similarities beyond premise (kind of) and a few character names.

Edit: PLL is probably also an example of a bad handling of a 'mystery' show, because after 5 seasons they've only just almost kinda sorta revealed the original killer. Maybe. And the producers have said they're gonna keep dragging this poo poo out and running it into the ground for as long as ABC Family keeps renewing them.

xeria fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 15, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Thwomp posted:

No, I don't think so.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I actually don't hate the show, or care that much about it. I just tried to point out that it's a mystery show and the writers pull poo poo from their asses to draw out the mystery, and everybody got pissed because somehow I'm wrong, and this time the show will be better, and different from all those other mystery shows. Despite the fact that it's like every other mystery show ever. You can try arguing that maybe this time it might have a good ending, but you're probably just going to end up trying to justify the ending to Lost.

The Killing had a good ending

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

thrakkorzog posted:

Oh yeah, they've got M. Night Shyamalan to give his seal of approval, despite the fact that he's a hack that relies on twist endings.

The last Shyamalan movie with a twist ending was The Village and that came out a decade ago. You don't really have any room to be calling other people hacks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sleeveless posted:

The last Shyamalan movie with a twist ending was The Village and that came out a decade ago. You don't really have any room to be calling other people hacks.

That doesn't mean Shamalayan isn't a talentless hack.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the twist to the happening was that it released in theaters and made money

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I worked in a movie theater when the Happening came out and it was the only time I ever had people ask for their money back because the movie was so bad.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Have you seen Shyamalan Airbender? He's a Hack.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Well I've never asked people to give me millions of dollars to make a lovely movie, so I guess that means I can't judge Shyamalan and say that he's a hack. Hell give me a million dollars and I could probably make a better movie than Shyamalan. I mean there are some directors that aren't that great. Kevin Smith is an OK director, but he's not going to do anything interesting with a camera.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 15, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

I was defending Shyamalan for years, until this. Yeah he's the worst.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

thrakkorzog posted:

Fooz posted:

I was defending Shyamalan for years, until this. Yeah he's the worst.

You mean to tell us that you were both on board with Shyamalan up until Avatar, and that was your breaking point?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

You mean to tell us that you were both on board with up until Avatar, and that was your breaking point?

Oh no, I kind of broke with Shyamalan after Signs. So the Aliens are allergic to water? How the gently caress does that even start to make sense? Shyamalan just kept getting work after that one.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 15, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

You mean to tell us that you were both on board with Shyamalan up until Avatar, and that was your breaking point?

Yeah I mean, does that include Lady in the Water? Because holy poo poo was that bad. I mean at least Signs was unintentionally hilarious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrakkorzog posted:

Shyamalan Airbender is actually brilliant if you interpret it as a movie adaptation of the Ember Island Players' stage production.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Oh no, I kind of broke with Shyamalan after Signs. So the Aliens are allergic to water? How the gently caress does that even start to make sense? Shyamalan kept getting work after that one.

For me it was The Sixth Sense. It's like, people retaining a conscious presence after death? That's not how it works, idiot.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Yeah I thought the movies were fun in an oddball kind of way. An original voice at least.

But Airbender was a tour de force of bad directing. If I hadn't seen it I never would have believed that the movie could be made so badly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

True Blood was also a book series. The author has a new series out that is in the same world as True Blood as well. Waiting for HBO to pick that up.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Shyamalan Airbender is actually brilliant if you interpret it as a movie adaptation of the Ember Island Players' stage production.

Airbender was just criminally boring. Like a bad, overly narrated plot summary of Avatar's first season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xeria posted:

Airbender was just criminally boring. Like a bad, overly narrated plot summary of Avatar's first season.

It was bad in every way though, from writing to acting to casting to direction to effects. All of it was just truly horrible. Calling The Last Airbender just boring is giving it way too much credit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

True Blood was also a book series. The author has a new series out that is in the same world as True Blood as well. Waiting for HBO to pick that up.

True Blood was the last series I watched, and it was all good fun until the last season. The last season was really naff, as was the last episode.

Also, I liked the movie Unbreakable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'm the only one who didn't like Unbreakable. I just thought it was dumb.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I'm the only one who didn't like Unbreakable. I just thought it was dumb.

Unbreakable was great.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on the other hand!!!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

BSam posted:

Unbreakable was great.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on the other hand!!!

...continues to be great as it goes on, unlike M. Night's movies.

I'm sure that's the sentence as you meant to finish it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

True Blood was the last series I watched, and it was all good fun until the last season. The last season was really naff, as was the last episode.

I never got around to watching the final season, is it worth it from at least a "tying things up" POV?

quote:

Also, I liked the movie Unbreakable.

Indeed, one of Shyamalan's two good films.

The other one, of course, being Lady in the Water (attn Bown: that's sarcasm) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

precision posted:

I never got around to watching the final season, is it worth it from at least a "tying things up" POV?

Yes, it's like a 10 episode epilogue.

• Locked thread