Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I never got around to watching the final season, is it worth it from at least a "tying things up" POV?

To be honest, I don't really think it is. It feels pretty directionless; I don't think they had much of a story left to tell. The parts with Eric and Pam were entertaining, but that's more because Eric and Pam were entertaining characters than anything. Bon Temps seems almost completely deserted in the last third of the season, so they must have run out of money or something by the end.

However, I think the problem set in earlier, when Sookie and Jason started having storylines that were almost completely divorced from what Bill and Eric were doing, or what Sam and Alcide were doing, or what Lafayette was doing. In the first three or four seasons, I think they were generally pretty good at tying all the story arcs for the season together, but starting from the fifth season, Sookie would be off doing something completely separate from whatever the other main characters were doing, when not every character was strong enough to carry an ongoing story arc on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Looks like David Lynch has just tweeted that he's back on board with Twin Peaks.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Considering how long I've been looking forward to it, Wayward Pines was really underwhelming. It seems like the sort of show that has a limited period to hook a large audience with a compelling storyline and will squander that opportunity repeating predictable beats and cliches. Doubtless there's something cool going on in the show but it smells of cancellation. The cast is great but I don't feel super compelled to watch the next episode, like I should be.

edit: wouldn't it be funny if David Lynch thought that the Josie Packard storyline was the BEST part of Twin Peaks, and that's why he left? Because he wanted even more scenes like that in the remake and other people weren't having it?

bad day fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 16, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrVenkman posted:

Looks like David Lynch has just tweeted that he's back on board with Twin Peaks.

That's great. I had heard they were trying to work something out but after not any more news on that front for a while I kind of gave up on that.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BSam posted:

Unbreakable was great.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on the other hand!!!

Is The L Word better or worse than UKS?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

xeria posted:

Is The L Word better or worse than UKS?

I'm loving hating The L Word. But I'd rather watch the next 5 seasons of it, than the 5 episodes of UKS I didn't see.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BSam posted:

I'm loving hating The L Word. But I'd rather watch the next 5 seasons of it, than the 5 episodes of UKS I didn't see.

God dammit you just reminded me that I have to press forward on my own painful journey through that show.

(xeria said that if I watched all six seasons of The L Word she'd watch six seasons of any show(s) of my choosing.)

(it's not going well.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The L Word has the worst intro I've ever seen. It's also so edgy talking about queefing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

The L Word has the worst intro I've ever seen.

I've only seen it with the cast getting drunk and snarky over it on a commentary track. I'm not looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

quote:

It's also so edgy talking about queefing.

FIRST loving EPISODE, like, I wanna say a little more than halfway through, Jennifer Beals marches up to her gal-pals sitting at their favorite cafe, says hello, and asks "SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT BUTT WAXING?" And everyone acts like this is a normal question to ask like that. In public.

(EDIT: Just to be clear, there's no reason for anybody to be thinking about Butt Waxing. It just appears, like a loud fart on an airplane.)

xeria says that Ilene Chaiken and Ryan Murphy are two sides of the same coin. I call bullshit; Ryan Murphy has way more tact and style.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 16, 2015

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The incredibly random GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON NIPPLE CONFIDENCE kind of tapers off after the first...half of the season or do.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hi hello good day. Please go view Mad Max Fury Road in theaters it is the finest film of this decade.

Thank you that is all.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Hi hello good day. Please go view Mad Max Fury Road in theaters it is the finest film of this decade.

Thank you that is all.

Not right now, watching The L Word.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaggitz posted:

Thank you that is all.

Yes. Do this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

The incredibly random GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON NIPPLE CONFIDENCE kind of tapers off after the first...half of the season or do.

That's nice; do I ever stop hating these people for no discernible reason? I see Jenny pouring her heart out to Marina at the end of 104 and I feel like the show wants me to think "Here is an incredibly heartsick girl torn between loyalties and going through a confusing, frustrating coming out process." By all superficial appearances, that's how it plays. But all I keep thinking is "Oh my God SHUT UP."

I mean, I know "Shut Up Jenny" is apparently the unofficial name of the show, I guess I'm just impressed by how quickly and effortlessly I turned on her.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

That's nice; do I ever stop hating these people for no discernible reason? I see Jenny pouring her heart out to Marina at the end of 104 and I feel like the show wants me to think "Here is an incredibly heartsick girl torn between loyalties and going through a confusing, frustrating coming out process." By all superficial appearances, that's how it plays. But all I keep thinking is "Oh my God SHUT UP."

I mean, I know "Shut Up Jenny" is apparently the unofficial name of the show, I guess I'm just impressed by how quickly and effortlessly I turned on her.

The show WANTS you to feel for Jenny but really everyone hates Jenny anyway. After the first couple seasons she stops being insufferably up her own rear end and starts to get a little funny.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MrAristocrates posted:

That's great. I had heard they were trying to work something out but after not any more news on that front for a while I kind of gave up on that.

Well Lynch taking to Twitter initially was him basically negotiating in public. He did it over the bank holiday weekend so that it would build up traction before Showtime PR got back into work. Lynch isn't dumb, so he knew what he was doing. And as a result there's a longer episode order than there originally was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think there was a Marry Me thread, but in case you liked it - E4 in the UK have aired the remaining episodes in the season. Use this information how you see fit.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

DivisionPost posted:

That's nice; do I ever stop hating these people for no discernible reason?

Yes. Soon you start hating all of them for discernable reasons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I guess I'll watch the Twin Peaks revival but after both watching it through and listening to a podcast where they pull apart every episode I'm still not entirely sure how people ever grew to loving the show so intensely. Or maybe they just loved season 1 + the first half of season 2 + the finale + maybe FWWM and that's what most people mean when they talk about it, and not the 13 or so episodes that drag in the middle of S2.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

seems like you actually are entirely sure, then

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zaggitz posted:

Thank you that is all.

Not sure I'd go that far but it drat sure is worth seeing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

I guess I'll watch the Twin Peaks revival but after both watching it through and listening to a podcast where they pull apart every episode I'm still not entirely sure how people ever grew to loving the show so intensely. Or maybe they just loved season 1 + the first half of season 2 + the finale + maybe FWWM and that's what most people mean when they talk about it, and not the 13 or so episodes that drag in the middle of S2.

Yes, that is exactly the case.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they loved the parts directed by david lynch? whoah

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think there was a Marry Me thread, but in case you liked it - E4 in the UK have aired the remaining episodes in the season. Use this information how you see fit.

I know its cancelled but is NBC just not going to air the last episodes or what, I don't see it coming back any time soon.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

corn in the bible posted:

they loved the parts directed by david lynch? whoah

Lynch directed 6 total episodes of the show, and only 2 of the first season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does anyone else watch Major Lazer on Animation Domination? It's the most ridiculous show and it's awesome

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sober posted:

I liked the whole series, and I feel like part of what gets lost over time is the context of the parody/homage aspect, the quality of dramatic television of the early nineties, and how God awful FWWM was despite all these considerations of the time the product released in.

This isn't a defense against all criticism of the show, and it definitely did suffer in viewership during the contentious season 2, but more an explanation for how many of us grew to like the show. Before most people had access to this crazy internet, if you watched last nights twin peaks you had at least 5 minutes worth of conversation with anyone you happened to run into.

These are all views on the show without specific notations on how and what I find/found awesome about it, because even back then the only thing fans could agree on is "she's dead; wrapped in plastic" and "there's a fish in the percolator" are perfect lines RIP Jack Nance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kaizoku posted:

Before most people had access to this crazy internet, if you watched last nights twin peaks you had at least 5 minutes worth of conversation with anyone you happened to run into.

If Lost had been on air in the pre-internet 90s, holy poo poo. :stare:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Duke posted:

I know its cancelled but is NBC just not going to air the last episodes or what, I don't see it coming back any time soon.

Probably be burnt off over the summer or stuck online I guess. They're not bad episodes, even if it feels like e18 was made after pretty much finding out they weren't going to get a back order to 22/24 and likely no 2nd season so it ramps up to complete the story there and then.

They're worth watching for the R Kelly bit in the hospital alone.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

EL BROMANCE posted:

They're worth watching for the R Kelly bit in the hospital alone.

Yeah that was amazing and oddly beautiful. They should release the full cover as a single.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mississippi Burning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did Other Space ever pop up in this thread? I can see a lot of people not caring for it, but I've enjoyed marathoning it today. Really good casting given the majority of people are unknown/'the guy from the background of this one ep' status, and a few episodes in everything clicks together nicely. The low budget forces the Red Dwarf inspired small sets and lots of dialogue, and the CG sparingly used is surprisingly decent.

Also including Crow T Robot (as another robot, naturally) and Joel from MST3K is a nice touch. It's fun, and exactly the kind of new breed of Internet sitcom that feels like a 30 year old British sitcom I can get behind. It would absolutely sink on network.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did Other Space ever pop up in this thread? I can see a lot of people not caring for it, but I've enjoyed marathoning it today...

Yep, I brought it up but it didn't get much traction because Netflix had just dropped something. I think the woman playing the computer was a bit hokey in her acting as in overly emoting in strange ways, but for what is obviously a low budget affair they did an amazing job.

It's written by the guy that will helm the new Ghostbusters.

In short listen to El Bromance and me and go watch Other Space on a place called... Yahoo?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really liked Natasha the computer, it didn't hurt that she's ridiculously attractive, but as a fan of both Hollies from Red Dwarf it was fun to see them expand on the idea a bit further. I also dig vertically mounted screens for some odd reason.

Neil Casey was the standout of a good bunch for me, he's one of those guys that always needed a proper part written for, and he nailed it.

I hope despite the small audience it'll attract that it gets a second shot, curse you slightly-cliffhanger ending.

Also, Shelby Fero is staff writer on the show and I couldn't remember why/how I followed her on Twitter until I googled and remembered she's like 21 and stupidly funny for someone who's only just become an adult.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Yeah, binged Other Space while home sick a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit. Some good gags and callbacks throughout the run. I think one of my favorite bits was from the 2nd episode, where everyone's having visions of the thing they most desire and Joel's is finding a sandwich on the floor.

"Wait, so your greatest desire in the world is eating a sandwich you found on the floor?"
"It doesn't have to be on the floor..."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked how they named him Zalien just for the one gag.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Just finished reading the second book of the trilogy that Wayward Pines is an adaptation of. Not going into spoilers the book actually has a satisfying conclusion to the mystery. Theres nothing in the books that looks like it would be too expensive to film and 10 episodes is probably going to be enough to cover the whole trilogy (making an educated guess at what the third book is going to do).

Whether or not the show sticks close to the mystery / is any good is another question.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

There's no way that joke should have been as funny as it was but I absolutely lost it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

muscles like this? posted:

Zalian, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched the first two episodes of The Slap out of trainwreck curiosity, and it's almost admirable how dedicated it is to being so completely miserable and repellant.

• Locked thread