Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

I think the slouch gives her personality.

Sorry, it's a requirement that women in all video games push their shoulders back to make their chest seem bigger.

Guys too I guess, but it seems to be worse with female models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

Make her posture gradually degrade as she gets more and more tired.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Manslaughter posted:

Yeah she looks like she's jaded and has just freaking had it with this poo poo to me. It works.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm still kinda transitioning my UIs, when this was turn-based it was spreadsheets and menus to the max, and gameplay was informed by a pretty heavy data overlay. Now that I'm in 3d I really want an RPG that feels like an adventure game: lots of back-end numbers available on demand, but little to no UI necessary during gameplay. I'm finding that character animations are a huge boon here: I'm definitely going to make her posture reflect her fatigue (which is basically people gas- when it hits 0 she takes a nap and outstanding disagreements/turf wars get resolved without her). A lot of small things (mood, situational awareness, proximity to evidence or interactives) are going to get encapsulated as gestures and motion tics, and in general she's going to be a very animated but resigned figure, as in "Yea, gimme the report. No, go over there, you, rookie, get me some coffee, someone throw me my coat, I am remarkably angry at pretty much everything, blergarglezzzzz".

Hilarious animation retargeting gifs are coming up as requested, just gotta find the backup with that in it.

EDIT: Here we go, this is what happens when you take animations designed for a muscular, hulking male model, and apply them to a tall, slim female model.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 18, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
If the Unity3D Profiler sees a static reference, it doesn't say anything about where it is exactly, it just says there's a static reference somewhere.

Is there any alternative memory profiler for Unity/Mono programs that I could use to get that information? I also have Visual Studio.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Nition posted:

If the Unity3D Profiler sees a static reference, it doesn't say anything about where it is exactly, it just says there's a static reference somewhere.

Is there any alternative memory profiler for Unity/Mono programs that I could use to get that information? I also have Visual Studio.

God I wish. Their profiler/forensics have really atrocious drawbacks. Like a second thread is 100% invisible to them. I'd love a good thread-aware heapshot.

I had to write my own super-janky hierarchical performance profiler because I needed to profile my non-primary threads.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
:(

Can't even just delete stuff one by one in the inspector until the reference goes away because it's in a static class.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Since you guys have looked at so much of my stuff this weekend, what do you think of the camera distance? I'm not hiring voice actors, and I might not even have dialogue (if I can get away with it), so your character's body language and the way she interacts with the world are a really big part of the narrative. I was originally planning on facilitating this with much more extreme camerawork like life is strange, where you put her on a severe left-offset with very tight zoom, but I almost think I get a better effect from the mid-distance centered camera I have now, because instead of focusing on her and her viewpoint, you're focused more the combination of the character and her surroundings. Since the character of city is a huge part of this, that seems like a fair trade, but I don't know if there are other design considerations I should be taking into account.

I do know that the vast majority of third-person action games seem to favor mid-distance camera with a slight to mid left offset, but I don't know why.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Anyone use the Sliders in Unity's newish UI? I'm moving all my UI code from my crappy homebrew UI solution to the UI Unity added in 4.6 and the sliders break seemingly every time I turn my back on them. Either the background fill of the slider gets misaligned or the slider's handle does. Like I finished one of my UI windows yesterday and then this morning when I went to work on it both the slider handles were offset by half the slider width in their Rect Transform component so the handle would move off the slider, and indeed off the screen, for no reason. Couple days ago the same happened but with the background "Fill Area".

I'm also having the problem with the draw order being screwy in the Scene editor. In game the draw order has things further down in the hierarchy draw over ones higher up in the hierarchy but in the Scene View I'm getting the opposite.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Another thing that'd be nice in the Unity profiler is a way to compare/diff two different snapshots. No-one wants to look through the 500 things in a list to find out why the second snapshot has 501.

Anyway here's a game dev pro tip: TinyTask.

TinyTask is a free little exe that lets you record any inputs and play them back, in a loop if you want. It plays your game so you don't have to.

Want to run your game overnight to test for memory leaks or crashes but you need "stuff" happening? Record a little TinyTask thing and loop it.

Want to test what happens if the player adds 5000 uberbaubles to their character? Record them adding it once, loop it, and set playback to "fast" for superhuman robot-speed testing.

You can save recordings, or even compile them as standalone exes that don't need to TinyTask exe to run. Not that you wouldn't just take it anywhere with you because it's only 33KB.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Omi no Kami posted:

I do know that the vast majority of third-person action games seem to favor mid-distance camera with a slight to mid left offset, but I don't know why.

Isn't that just because most characters are right handed and you want to have your camera and gun point in roughly the same direction to make aiming in third person possible and look vaguely right. Well ,that and showing off all those sweet gun effects. A few games let's you change which side the camera is on,which is nice even if it fucks with cover systems and make the guns shoot sideways.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Omi no Kami posted:

EDIT: Here we go, this is what happens when you take animations designed for a muscular, hulking male model, and apply them to a tall, slim female model.

"Praying mantis style is immensely strong, and immune to nearly every weapon..."

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hel posted:

Isn't that just because most characters are right handed and you want to have your camera and gun point in roughly the same direction to make aiming in third person possible and look vaguely right. Well ,that and showing off all those sweet gun effects. A few games let's you change which side the camera is on,which is nice even if it fucks with cover systems and make the guns shoot sideways.

I hadn't considered that... I always assumed the offset was a UI thing: person on left = most of the screen has a clear line of sight, person in center = occasional case where you can't see exactly what you want to without moving.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Omi no Kami posted:

I hadn't considered that... I always assumed the offset was a UI thing: person on left = most of the screen has a clear line of sight, person in center = occasional case where you can't see exactly what you want to without moving.
That's the other reason, and why you see the off-center 3rd person even in non-shooty games. There's a lot of good reasons for doing it. I think Gears of War was the first to figure that out?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shalinor posted:

That's the other reason, and why you see the off-center 3rd person even in non-shooty games. There's a lot of good reasons for doing it. I think Gears of War was the first to figure that out?

I'm pretty sure Resident Evil 4 had it earlier.

Thinking about camera systems, after that article about cameras in 2d platformers and how they developed, might not some of those ideas be applied to 3d? So, swing the camera around a little bit to look at things of interest...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 18, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The problem you have with manhandling the camera in 3d games as opposed to 2d games is motion sickness or disorientation.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
They told me that people weren't noticing when they ran out of ammo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, man. It's kinda subtle. Could you make it blink?

Beepz
Sep 8, 2011

mutata posted:

another line of research that is useful here is the work of Disney Imagineering. Disneyland is a surprisingly ripe case study in virtual environment design.

There's a talk from GDC '09 in the vault about exactly this topic.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1305/Everything-I-Learned-About-Level

The actual design part starts if you click "What the heck are Weenies?"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm going to wait to make any firm decision on camera offset until all of the gameplay is done, as I think this needs to be informed by gameplay, but I'm leaning towards a very subtle offset from center, like the screenshot (that's 25 units left of center). Centering the player feels better and connects you to the player in a more direct way, and severe left-offset feels a little awkward. This way you get most of the feel from centered characters, but looking directly ahead/in front of yourself is easier than a perfectly centered camera. I found http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:628121/FULLTEXT01.pdf while researching, he doesn't have anything big to say about camera systems, but it's neat seeing someone do a technical comparison of AAA cameras.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
Well, Soundsaber is out: http://sonorousgames.itch.io/soundsaber

I seriously can't wait to see how players react. Hopefully it's positive.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I'm going to wait to make any firm decision on camera offset until all of the gameplay is done, as I think this needs to be informed by gameplay, but I'm leaning towards a very subtle offset from center, like the screenshot (that's 25 units left of center). Centering the player feels better and connects you to the player in a more direct way, and severe left-offset feels a little awkward. This way you get most of the feel from centered characters, but looking directly ahead/in front of yourself is easier than a perfectly centered camera. I found http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:628121/FULLTEXT01.pdf while researching, he doesn't have anything big to say about camera systems, but it's neat seeing someone do a technical comparison of AAA cameras.

The other reason for a slight offset is that it lets the player see what's directly in front of the character without having to implement a situational transparency system. If you stick the camera right behind the character and the world has at least semi-realistic proportions, it's quite likely that the player will frequently need to interact with a thing that they can't see at the time.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I'm up in the air right now concerning whether or not I want to go with sidescrolling or a LTTP style top-down isometric camera for my current project. I originally created the concept with sidescrolling in mind but I've since thought about top-down due to the large amount of sidescrolling action platformers that have been coming out lately. In reality they both have their pros and cons, but it mostly boils down to sidescrolling letting me go crazy with platforming antics, high action, and movement based abilities while top-down lets me go buck wild with items that interact with the environment and a little calmer on the action front. Setting is post-apocalyptic low-tech future and your character isn't some superhero, he's a scientist who winds up using technology to circumvent problems.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Sounds like you're trying to decide between a puzzle game and an action platformers game. Item based environmental changes and stuff sounds geared towards puzzlers more. Unless you're trying to do the old style shooter games but with scrolling in any direction. Something like the Chaos Engine. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaos_Engine

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Somfin posted:

The other reason for a slight offset is that it lets the player see what's directly in front of the character without having to implement a situational transparency system. If you stick the camera right behind the character and the world has at least semi-realistic proportions, it's quite likely that the player will frequently need to interact with a thing that they can't see at the time.

That's one of the reasons why your character is so small: I was originally going for something much more claustrophobic like resident evil, where the camera felt like it was pushing your face into the map and oh yea, your character is there too. By zooming back (and ensuring my interactables are easy to work with), I made it significantly harder for the character to block the player's view of what's going on.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Redesigning the combat interface stuff for OutQuest. Is this more readable? The intention is most of this won't be shown unless a unit is selected. compacted energy and health bars will be shown for units not selected.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 19, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

Redesigning the combat interface stuff for OutQuest. Is this more readable? The intention is most of this won't be shown unless a unit is selected. compacted energy and health bars will be shown for units not selected.

is that actual size? because it seems much bigger to me than the screenshots you were showing before. I would mock up the UI at actual size.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
can't do that until changes to the camera are finalized. I'll be doing proper draw-overs once that's settled.

E: nevermind I'm dumb, apparently it's mostly finalized while I was asleep! I'll get on that after I get home.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 19, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Colon Semicolon posted:

This may or may not be useful feedback, but every time you refer to OutQuest, I assume the game is about a gay hero who fights for his/her right to marry whoever he or she chooses. Or maybe to make enough money for SRS or something.

(I assume it's a temporary name, but that's the way it sounds as it stands)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shalinor posted:

This may or may not be useful feedback, but every time you refer to OutQuest, I assume the game is about a gay hero who fights for his/her right to marry whoever he or she chooses. Or maybe to make enough money for SRS or something.

http://www.outquestglobal.com

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shalinor posted:

It could be a game about outing homophobes who are actually secretly in the closet

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
At least they didn't name their company Trite Games

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hm, I'm working on an idle clicker for giggles, and how the hell do they design their economic progression? Resource gathering in most of them isn't linear, but it sure as heck isn't exponential, and I get the feeling I shouldn't start a skinner box by flinging numerical poo at a wall and seeing what sticks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Hm, I'm working on an idle clicker for giggles, and how the hell do they design their economic progression? Resource gathering in most of them isn't linear, but it sure as heck isn't exponential, and I get the feeling I shouldn't start a skinner box by flinging numerical poo at a wall and seeing what sticks.

I've heard that people use excel sheets. Figure out what the clicks per second are going to be, figure out how long you want it to take per upgrade, plug into formula.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm okay, that's interesting... I think I can do the same thing with hits to kill monster, like we discussed in here a few days back regarding diablolikes.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Question regarding localisation; is it worth it to have a robust localisation system for a small indie roguelike? There's going to be a fair bit of dialogue in this game (With a lot of madlib-style "Oh hello <person>, I saw <character> picking up an <item> in <location>" lines), and I've generally only dealt with the code side of localisation before.

I have an exceptionally short deadline at the moment so I'm trying to figure out where I can save some time, and localisation is one of those things that could save me a not-insignificant amount of time but I honestly have no idea how many sales I'm likely to lose excluding English speaking gamers, so it's making it hard to establish a cost-benefit ratio for it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Having finally tried proper VR (devkits came), I am now a True Believer and will be obnoxious about The Impending VR Future forever.

Hot drat is that cool. :haw:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

AntiPseudonym posted:

Question regarding localisation; is it worth it to have a robust localisation system for a small indie roguelike? There's going to be a fair bit of dialogue in this game (With a lot of madlib-style "Oh hello <person>, I saw <character> picking up an <item> in <location>" lines), and I've generally only dealt with the code side of localisation before.

I have an exceptionally short deadline at the moment so I'm trying to figure out where I can save some time, and localisation is one of those things that could save me a not-insignificant amount of time but I honestly have no idea how many sales I'm likely to lose excluding English speaking gamers, so it's making it hard to establish a cost-benefit ratio for it.

What if you made a simple system for now that at least lets you have all your text in a separate key/value text file, but doesn't worry about supporting crazy Russian plurals or whatever.

Then if you want to do localisation later, you can add support for actually switching languages etc then, but you won't have to hunt through the source code to try and track down every user-visible string.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Found out about the Public Domain Jam this week and felt it was so up our alley we'd be remiss NOT to try and make something for it.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to which public domain 19th century literature we went for?