Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Triss objected on the mutagens on her puberty development, but I don't think any known examples of full procedure exist. If schools had their mutagen masters, could be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

sw0cb posted:

Does anyone know if the xbone shares the 7pm EST unlock time with the PS4 and PC? Its showing May 19th on my console.

It also shows 12:01am UTC for when you can play on the Xbox One site.

quote:

XBOX ONE GAME EXPECTED TO RELEASE ON 5/19/2015. YOU MAY DOWNLOAD THE GAME FROM XBOX LIVE BEFORE THEN, BUT IT WILL NOT BE PLAYABLE UNTIL 12:01 UTC ON THE RELEASE DATE.

That's 7:01pm central time tonight.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Utnayan posted:

I'll be back to correct bullshit information being spread. Nothing has changed with the Day One patch graphically.

Shut the gently caress up.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
This will be my first Witcher. Is there any other game the combat is similar to so I can get a rough idea of how it flows?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

For some reason I quite enjoy reading these guides. It's probably because I'm a paid shill for nvidia/CDPR.

They're also a really good way to understand what exactly each setting does, I don't think I'd actually get stuff like AO and anisotropic filtering without the visual comparisons.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Almost Smart posted:

This will be my first Witcher. Is there any other game the combat is similar to so I can get a rough idea of how it flows?

It's kind of Arkham-y, in that timing is important and button-mashing will put you in a world of hurt. Clunkier and with a steeper learning curve, but that's the general flavor.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Utnayan posted:

So my advice when coming to a purchase of this if you have not bought it yet, and you own a PS4, that seems to be the edition to get

Awesome -- I didn't want to play this hunched in front of my montior. Good to know next gen is finally living up to its name!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually, no, not worth it

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Heliosicle posted:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

After seeing this I'm rethinking my decision to keep my 770 and not get a 970.

ugh my 760 is going to :negative:

i may have to upgrade my cpu/gpu soon and i just put this drat system together

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Almost Smart posted:

It has elements that appear in Dark Souls (parries, rolls, lock-on, spells, and offensive items) but without the same level of precision. The camera tends to pan around like a character action game and your animations aren't fully predictable. By that I mean sometimes a heavy attack will reach far enough to hit someone, and sometimes a different attack will play for no discernible reason from the same distance and whiff.

Some people have compared it to Assassin's Creed combat and that's not too far off. Instead of a simple counter that one-shots most people like in AC, you have several options that are relatively less lethal. So a fight is more involved but in my opinion you never feel as in control as you could.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
My galaxy client says less than an hour

That can't be right

Will stay up in hope

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

There is no tomorrow.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It has elements that appear in Dark Souls (parries, rolls, lock-on, spells, and offensive items) but without the same level of precision. The camera tends to pan around like a character action game and your animations aren't fully predictable. By that I mean sometimes a heavy attack will reach far enough to hit someone, and sometimes a different attack will play for no discernible reason from the same distance and whiff.

Some people have compared it to Assassin's Creed combat and that's not too far off. Instead of a simple counter that one-shots most people like in AC, you have several options that are relatively less lethal. So a fight is more involved but in my opinion you never feel as in control as you could.

The Witcher games seem to have this weird thing where the timing of your attack is super duper important (as in, how far through the combat animation are you?). It was everything in the Witcher 1, and it's still pretty important in the Witcher 2 (not as important as "KEEP ROLLING"). Personally, the controls are less responsive than they should be and that impacts my ability to enjoy the combat.

I think it's a clunkier, easier version of Dark Souls. Even the bosses live up to the "clunkier, easier version of Dark Souls".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 18, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh man, that would be so cool.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I honestly think it's because I'm Australian and the client is reading 1AM on the 19th so that must be right, while the verification server is still going to ask Poland if it's okay to release now.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Schlesische posted:

I honestly think it's because I'm Australian and the client is reading 1AM on the 19th so that must be right, while the verification server is still going to ask Poland if it's okay to release now.

So what you're saying is we should VPN into Australia?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WMain00 posted:

So what you're saying is we should VPN into Australia?

No because I don't think it's going to work.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I've read through 32 pages of essentially horse retard level posting since last night.

Yay Witcher 3 tonight at 6:00 :cheers:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Schlesische posted:

No because I don't think it's going to work.

Sorry I can't hear you i'm busy VPN'ing into Australia! :P

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
Anyone who doesn't want to spoil themselves on a stream but find the waiting unbearable, this guy is live-reading some of the Witcher short stories.

http://www.twitch.tv/excessiveprofanity

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I think some of the clunkiness comes from the series rewarding you for being proactive, not reactive. Even when you're parrying, ideally it's because you baited the enemy into a swing, not because you just noticed he's already beginning to attack. You can ignore this and slog through, even on high difficulties if you've ground out enough gear, but it'll never shine the way it does if you step back and take control of the battle from start to finish.

Not to say there aren't real problems with responsiveness at times (at least in TW2, and reviews are saying it's similar in 3). But if you try to play it just like AC it's going to feel like a worse version of that combat for sure.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Willfrey posted:

ugh my 760 is going to :negative:

i may have to upgrade my cpu/gpu soon and i just put this drat system together

Unless your CPU is really old, I wouldn't worry about it. A German site underclocked their i7-4790K to 2 Ghz and was still getting decent framerates on ultra.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

g-c posted:

I've read through 32 pages of essentially horse retard level posting since last night.

Yay Witcher 3 tonight at 6:00 :cheers:

Come on, I think after crazy person left last time it wasn't awful.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

WMain00 posted:

Sorry I can't hear you i'm busy VPN'ing into Australia! :P

Tell us if it works in an hour!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

- Combat hasn't been retooled. Attack animations are still unpredictable and the camera slides in weird directions when you aren't locked in (and sometimes even when you are), though this is offset somewhat by the more reliable character movement speed. Now I know why reviewers said it felt like 2 but improved. If you had no problems with 2 you'll be happy, but if you're like me you'll just feel a slight disconnect between your input and Geralt rather than the last game's wall of unpredictability.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I just finished a playthrough of Witcher 2 and I found the animations to be perfectly predictable. You have your Batman style lunge for targets that are a short distance away and canned animations for each step of a combo you're on. I never saw the long fancy animations as the first step of a combo or anything like that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

Unless your CPU is really old, I wouldn't worry about it. A German site underclocked their i7-4790K to 2 Ghz and was still getting decent framerates on ultra.

I've never heard this term before. Just for my own clarification, is underclocking at factory settings or below that?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Personally, the controls are less responsive than they should be and that impacts my ability to enjoy the combat.
Personally, the problem I have is the relative unpredictability of the attacks. It's all based on orientation, or distance to enemies. At least in Witcher 2, but I'm seeing more of the same from videos of 3. Since you can't just pick and chose your attacks I often find myself pirouetting across the field to take a swing on some random dude, and the swing occurs with a perfect orientation to the target, instead of simply the direction you are facing. I really can't compare it to things like Dark Souls, where the moveset available to the player is extremely rigid and therefore predictable. I don't like it. But i can deal with it. The result is a pseudo numbers driven RPG action combat system.

I'm a huge monster hunter fan though, so when I heard witcher was going open world I nearly shat myself. I was never much of a fan of the combat, but playing W2 on higher difficulties and needing to carefully plan things out was great, but ultimately hampered by how closed the world otherwise was. While I don't like Witcher combat, assuming 3 is relatively similar to 2, playing a "resource" or numbers game in the context of an open world high fantasy hunting simulator sounds loving radical. Hopefully I won't have to gently caress too much with plot quest to get access to tons of monster hunts. That's what prevented me from every replaying Witcher 2. gently caress even with the second act being radically different, gently caress it. I don't care about the story, I want to be a badass mutant professional monster slayer!
:words:

So... can anyone tell me whether I should get my hopes up, or should I just shrug and deal with what will be an OK plot driven action RPG?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Free horse armor and beard/hair style DLCs are going live at launch as well.

#UPGRADE

https://twitter.com/marcin360/status/600302805254045696

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Mr E posted:

Come on, I think after crazy person left last time it wasn't awful.

And now he's back!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

So... can anyone tell me whether I should get my hopes up, or should I just shrug and deal with what will be an OK plot driven action RPG?

From what the PS4 reviewers have said, the plot-driven parts of the game are kind of not good and it's all on the open world to pull the hard carry. Which it does.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

g-c posted:

And now he's back!

Don't talk about him, his posting is based on movement attention stupidity.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Schlesische posted:

From what the PS4 reviewers have said, the plot-driven parts of the game are kind of not good and it's all on the open world to pull the hard carry. Which it does.

Other reviews have had the exact opposite opinion, which leads me to believe that it's mostly about personal preference.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Last wish (book spoiler):
Just finished reading this, guessing the implication at the end is that Geralt wished for Yennefer to fall in love with him? ...does she become nicer/a better person as a result? She's pretty awful in this story so can't imagine why I'd pick her over Triss in the game, unless they make you due to the love spell or something.

In regards to responsiveness, didn't mind the way sword attacks worked in W2 but had a problem with bombs/spells just fizzling or not going off, sheating/unsheating weapons and the like. Basically if I tell Geralt to throw a bomb I want him to stop whatever he's doing and throw a bomb.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Schlesische posted:

That's pretty good to hear, as far as I am concerned. Managed to avoid getting hyped until now, but now I'm excited! Thanks!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Other reviews have had the exact opposite opinion, which leads me to believe that it's mostly about personal preference.
Uh, well... maybe I'll just keep busy with something else and see how things go. Thanks!

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010
Since when did IGN equal all reviewers?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Spikeguy posted:

I've never heard this term before. Just for my own clarification, is underclocking at factory settings or below that?

Edit because I can't read:
Underclocking is lowering your CPU to speeds below stock (i.e. the exact opposite of overclocking). There's usually not much of a reason to do that (modern CPUs throttle down to save power, anyway), but they did it just to see how well the game would run. They concluded that the game makes really good use of multiple cores, so if you're in the i5 or i7 range you should be fine (even if you have to dial some things down).

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 18, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just crashed while playing Gwent (extra weird because I'm on PS4) which gives me a chance to share some first impressions. Keep in mind I'm still on the tutorial island so the strengths of the game haven't really opened up yet.

Good:
+ Geralt's movement speed is more consistent than it was in 2, so now he's slow but steady both in combat and out
+ Parry timing feels good against humans, not too forgiving or impossible
+ Signs recharge quickly enough that I actually want to use them more.
+ Looks great, and in the first hour or so I've already passed by a bunch of interesting places that I want to revisit

Not So Good:
- The camera is still a little too close to Geralt for my taste, though I'm not sure if this is something you can adjust
- I had no luck parrying non-humans, and I can't tell if it's because there are usually a bunch swarming from every direction, or because their tells are animated and timed oddly, or because it's not possible
- Having two dodges mapped to two face buttons feels strange. Maybe it will feel more natural over time, but for now it's just a piece of distracting mental baggage during a fight and I'm not sure the difference between the two moves is worth it.
- Combat hasn't been retooled. Attack animations are still unpredictable and the camera slides in weird directions when you aren't locked in (and sometimes even when you are), though this is offset somewhat by the more reliable character movement speed. Now I know why reviewers said it felt like 2 but improved. If you had no problems with 2 you'll be happy, but if you're like me you'll just feel a slight disconnect between your input and Geralt rather than the last game's wall of unpredictability.
I dont know how you are playing, but what skills does Geralt start with? I absolutely hated having to do the "beginner" tree in Witcher 2 and then needing to spend skill points on other basics to reduce backstab damage and whatnot.

Depths posted:

Tell us if it works in an hour!!
If we do not hear back from him we have to assume he is playing the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

My galaxy client says less than an hour

That can't be right

Will stay up in hope

I think the client still has kinks to work out because it says 16 hours till unlock on mine but 7 hours on the gog site.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The Galaxy Client better not gently caress me out of playing at 7pm. Store page says 7 hours, inventory page says 16 hours.

edit: welp.... beaten I suppose?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm not even going to play this on release. I still haven't finished Pillars of Eternity, GTA 5, or the Witcher 2 game that I actually want to import into W3.

On that note, is there a save game editor I can use for W2? My second playthrough, the one I want to import into W3, is just at the beginning of Act 3.

I'd rather edit my first playthrough to have the choices I want than try to finish the second one while remembering how to not get raped in combat or by that loving dragon fight QTE bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akul
Aug 29, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Last wish (book spoiler):
Just finished reading this, guessing the implication at the end is that Geralt wished for Yennefer to fall in love with him? ...does she become nicer/a better person as a result? She's pretty awful in this story so can't imagine why I'd pick her over Triss in the game, unless they make you due to the love spell or something.

In regards to responsiveness, didn't mind the way sword attacks worked in W2 but had a problem with bombs/spells just fizzling or not going off, sheating/unsheating weapons and the like. Basically if I tell Geralt to throw a bomb I want him to stop whatever he's doing and throw a bomb.

Geralt had one clear purpose for the wish, to stop the furious djinn from killing Yennefer. I think Sapkowski later said the wish was simply to tie Yennefer's and his fates/destinies together so the djinn could not kill Yennefer without killing his master, Geralt, as well.

Akul fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 18, 2015