Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Pocket Billiards posted:

I want to listen to a Gracie commentate on Chael going the distance with a guy who just submitted submitting Dean Lister and another Gracie.

Twenty-five minutes of a Greco-Roman knuckle lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I agree that Chael is a squash match for Barnett, but the lead up will be fun!

Its sad that metamoris is doing the exclusive contracts and all that, because i think the business model they are going for is interesting. Without a good roster of grapplers it will suffer though.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Is Buchecha ever coming back to Metamoris? I though the whole idea of Barnett/Lister in the first place was that the winner was gonna fight him.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Is Buchecha ever coming back to Metamoris? I though the whole idea of Barnett/Lister in the first place was that the winner was gonna fight him.

That was rumored at the time, but who knows. Maybe it was just a rumor, or maybe it fell apart due to Ralek dickery.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chael probably weighs about what Barnett does these days and presents a very different style to Lister or a Gracie.

With that said, Barnett is almost certainly going to turn him into a pretzel.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like I should know more about him, but what is Lister's wrestling like? The unique challenge Chael presents for Barnett is strength and wrestling skill. Chael is pretty big these days and has excellent takedowns and top control. Josh might not be strong enough to avoid Chael getting on top of him, and while we all know Chael's Sub Defense knob is set to Hilarious, I wonder if Josh can be as effective from his back as he is when he's free to control guys from the top and chain sub attempts together. I can't remember the last time I saw Josh fight off of his back so I have no idea whether he's particularly strong there these days. Looking at his record, all his recent MMA sub whens are from the top except against really bad opponents.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
chael is physically weak as gently caress. it has always been a weakness. the guy getting muscled in the clinch by michael bisping will not be giving josh barnett trouble.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah if 205 lbers were just to big for him a legit heavyweight is way too much.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
He looks huge as hell these days though. I think he's put on quite a bit of muscle since he doesn't have to pass drug tests any more. I guess you can be huge and still weak though, true.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
barnett needs to watch out, sonnen could cut a mean promo on him

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jason Scully's BJJ techniques app has gone free, if any of you are interested.

Get them here: Apple Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/875+-bjj-technique-demos/id863770966

Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bjjtechnique&hl=en

ICHIBAHN fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 14, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

He looks huge as hell these days though. I think he's put on quite a bit of muscle since he doesn't have to pass drug tests any more. I guess you can be huge and still weak though, true.

He was shocked at how strong Yushin Okami was, then got bullied in the clinch by Michael Bisping, then got outwrestled by Jon Jones and Rashad Evans. I don't think Chael out muscling Josh Barnett is likely, I think he won't even land a takedown on Josh (unless Josh wants to play guard for whatever reason)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Have you seen Barnett? He outweighs Chael by at least 40lbs.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Doesn't look much bigger than Nate Diaz walking around, if this photo is any indication.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Not pictured: Nates skinny child legs

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

1st AD posted:

got outwrestled by Jon Jones and Rashad Evans

Bit of an understatement here

What a dumb fight. There's no conceivable path to victory for Chael, and he's being awarded a "title shot" for the lamest Metamoris performance since the Abu Schaubi incident.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
After the Rashad fight Chael pretty much said "These guys at lhw are just too big and strong" and Rashad isn't a very big lhw.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i could 100% see chael getting a takedown on barnett, but i do not see him holding barnett there for long unless barnett is insanely gassed.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

i could 100% see chael getting a takedown on barnett, but i do not see him holding barnett there for long unless barnett is insanely gassed.

isn't he usually gassed though?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Have you seen Barnett? He outweighs Chael by at least 40lbs.

Yeah, I'm probably being dumb. I always discount his strength because he has a lovely goon body, but he's a legit heavy. And I'll freely admit I'm a bit of a Chapel fanboy. Him besting the poo poo out of Marquardt is still in my wallpaper rotation.

Changing my prediction to Josh by arm triangle. He seems to be into those lately.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Josh is gonna put his balls on Chael's face. Josh by crook head scissors.

Maybe Texas Cloverleaf though.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I want to listen to a Gracie commentate on Chael going the distance with a guy who just submitted Dean Lister and another Gracie.

Rener: There's a lot of sweaty white meat on the platform. daaaaang
Ralek: *cums* *cuts stream*

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 15, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
spinning toe hold or fujiwara armbar

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yeah, I'm probably being dumb. I always discount his strength because he has a lovely goon body, but he's a legit heavy.

Josh is a pudgy doughbody because he's a heavyweight and likes to eat, but he's always been one of the stronger fighters out there.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I hope Josh took this fight on the grounds that he thinks he can win with a crazy sub. Secret move, here we come.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
he already beat dean lister with the most pro wrestling move in the book so i dont know what he could do?

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

he has a lovely goon body

Its called a dadbod and its all the rage

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

he already beat dean lister with the most pro wrestling move in the book so i dont know what he could do?

Half crab.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Moss-covered, three-handled family credenza

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Crippler Crossface/Omoplata

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So the ref was a little slow in my glorious victory today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbo5yxRqw0

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StQCK-sG0B0

if you're gonna get DQ'd just go full Sotiropoulos, not that weak rear end poo poo

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Kekekela posted:

nice angle on the ref lol

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Lost For Words posted:

lol

if you're gonna get DQ'd just go full Sotiropoulos, not that weak rear end poo poo

From that position he could have gone full Maximo Blanco

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Kekekela posted:

I see you didn't get yourself any fans.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So I got my MRI results for my knee this morning- torn meniscus, cartilage damage, bone shard, still may heal on its own though, so I opted for p/t instead of the surgery. It's been nearly a year since I've been able to grapple, and I'm missing it like crazy. Knee seems fully functional- yoga, tennis, basketball all go fine, but last time it felt strong like this I went back to BJJ all excited, and after about 30 seconds in some guy's top half guard, it reinjured and I spent another 6-8wks on crutches. So I'm trying to figure out what to do to get my 'fix' without destroying my recovery process while I work the p/t, considering local aikido classes, kali, not sure what would give me the most practical application to nogi grappling. What would you guys suggest?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lost For Words posted:

lol

What the gently caress was the purple belt going for there?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Full ADCC competitors list was released: http://www.mmamania.com/2015/5/17/8617199/full-list-2015-adcc-competitors-includes-ufc-ben-henderson-hector-lombard-cris-cyborg-mma

-66kg interests me a lot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Something tells me that Lombard is gonna get DQd for punching someone.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

A Wry Smile posted:

So I got my MRI results for my knee this morning- torn meniscus, cartilage damage, bone shard, still may heal on its own though, so I opted for p/t instead of the surgery. It's been nearly a year since I've been able to grapple, and I'm missing it like crazy. Knee seems fully functional- yoga, tennis, basketball all go fine, but last time it felt strong like this I went back to BJJ all excited, and after about 30 seconds in some guy's top half guard, it reinjured and I spent another 6-8wks on crutches. So I'm trying to figure out what to do to get my 'fix' without destroying my recovery process while I work the p/t, considering local aikido classes, kali, not sure what would give me the most practical application to nogi grappling. What would you guys suggest?

I suggest letting your knee heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I suggest letting your knee heal.

This. I tried to come back too fast from a knee, which led to further injuries. Not just in the knee either. The imbalances led me to an ankle sprain and later a herniated disc. Let your poo poo heal 100%. You're not a pro athlete, so there's no reason to sacrifice your future quality of life to get back to training faster.