Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

Controversial opinion: deliberately looking scummy is not a pro-town play.

and

Kommando posted:

Yeah, but it throws the town off

are always my problem.

because he always plays this role, it would be quite an easy style to emulate when scum. "oh I look scummy? That's because i'm trying to be scummy! You coming after me proves your really scum because i lured you into my genius trap".

i guess how it's like how bell jar played, bell jar's low effort 'just vote nerds' posts are completely indecipherable as to his motivations because he did that in every game he was town OR scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Controversial opinion: deliberately looking scummy is not a pro-town play.

WELL I NEVER.

Yeah true. Alright. SO. If I then drop it for this game will people be like "oh thanks gaspy for playing the game like the rest of us" OR "HES POSTING DIFFRUNT GIT IM" because I know what my money's on. the one time I tried to play normal mafia I got dogpiled and personal insults so forgive me for not being keen to play things properly.

That being said, yeah.

I dropped hammer to look scummy to see who'd push hard on a case for me, comfortable in the knowledge I'm town. I factored in Beet would seize upon this but also then acknowledge it as an opportunity to scum hunt so he'd apply pressure too to see who bit. If he followed all the way through, he'd probably be scum but he'd know that I knew this and so probably wouldn't but then he'd know etc etc. Either way the output from the test is:

I think tirade is scum
I think Beet is town
I think TOML is 50/50
I think gough is 50/50

Not as exciting as I hoped.

Kleedrac jumping in to my defense is flagged as if he's scum he knows I'm town and could just be looking to score points in the future, that being said he also accurately assessed what I was doing so maybe I'm just more clear without the Auspol goggles.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i am kind of suss on beet at the moment for pushing on gaspy today and for arguing with me about kommando yesterday

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Amnistar
Asphyxious - deliberately pseudo scum
Bifauxnen - untrustworthy
Gough Suppressant
Kleedrac - non auspol and quiet
Kommando - Lady Diedre Skye goodiest of two shoes
MaliciousOnion - quiet,
Matthew Beet - untrustworthy
Mithranderp - uni bum, innocent guise
razorrozar
thatbastardken
Those On My Left - fuzzy moon bear
Tirade
white mans burping
Zetsubou-san

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

i am kind of suss on beet at the moment for pushing on gaspy today and for arguing with me about kommando yesterday

suss on me like every game ever. right.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

WELL I NEVER.

Yeah true. Alright. SO. If I then drop it for this game will people be like "oh thanks gaspy for playing the game like the rest of us" OR "HES POSTING DIFFRUNT GIT IM" because I know what my money's on. the one time I tried to play normal mafia I got dogpiled and personal insults so forgive me for not being keen to play things properly.

That being said, yeah.

I dropped hammer to look scummy to see who'd push hard on a case for me, comfortable in the knowledge I'm town. I factored in Beet would seize upon this but also then acknowledge it as an opportunity to scum hunt so he'd apply pressure too to see who bit. If he followed all the way through, he'd probably be scum but he'd know that I knew this and so probably wouldn't but then he'd know etc etc. Either way the output from the test is:

I think tirade is scum
I think Beet is town
I think TOML is 50/50
I think gough is 50/50

Kleedrac jumping in to my defense is flagged as if he's scum he knows I'm town and could just be looking to score points in the future, that being said he also accurately assessed what I was doing so maybe I'm just more clear without the Auspol goggles.

I'm not feeling tirade or toml. why suss on gough?

also lol at the bolded bit i was having this exact debate in my head earlier about if you were playing to type because you know i'd be less suss, but then more suss because you would think i would think you wouldn't.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

I dropped hammer to look scummy

Mission accomplished.

I'm not good enough at this game to really do well with all the double think and webs within webs so I'm voting based on the most scummy thing anyone has done so far.

##vote asphyxious

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm not feeling tirade or toml. why suss on gough?

because

Mission accomplished.

I'm not good enough at this game to really do well with all the double think and webs within webs so I'm voting based on the most scummy thing anyone has done so far.

##vote asphyxious

he and Tirade are in sync.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I think trying to look scummy when you are town is a bad idea, tbh. But maybe there are no bad ideas, only genius unrecognized in its time.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

suss on me like every game ever. right.

yeah it's not exactly news that i find you really hard to read and this routinely makes me suspicious of you

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Asphyxious posted:

For what it's worth I'm still putting good odds on tirade being scum. The straight off the bat shade throw and YEAH LETS GET HIM follow up is just such a well worn scum approach at this point.

I'm just working with what I've got. I'll spell out my thinking thus far:

1) Kommando posts that his secret mission is completed if he doesn't vote for a town lynch twice. After thinking about it for a bit I reckon that admission makes him more likely town than not. There was no real pressure for him to post it, and if he was scum that's the kind of thing you'd keep to yourself since it'd be relatively easy to complete.

2) Kommando votes for Amnistar.

3) The vote count gets to 7, bif and I think wmb suggest that Kommando takes his vote off Amnistar so as to not gently caress up his project.

4) Gaspy hammers.

So my reason for voting for you is that by hammering, you screwed up a likely town's project. Argue with my conclusions if you want, but don't pretend that my "straight off the bat shade throw" came from nowhere.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Mission accomplished.

##vote asphyxious

This kind of "oh well I guess I have to vote this way due to ____" preface is also really, really common for scum. I don't see why a town player would need to detach themselves from a vote.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Tirade posted:

1) Kommando posts that his secret mission is completed if he doesn't vote for a town lynch twice. After thinking about it for a bit I reckon that admission makes him more likely town than not. There was no real pressure for him to post it, and if he was scum that's the kind of thing you'd keep to yourself since it'd be relatively easy to complete.

3) The vote count gets to 7, bif and I think wmb suggest that Kommando takes his vote off Amnistar so as to not gently caress up his project.

4) Gaspy hammers.

So my reason for voting for you is that by hammering, you screwed up a likely town's project. Argue with my conclusions if you want, but don't pretend that my "straight off the bat shade throw" came from nowhere.

this is the most persuasive thing i've seen said about asphyxious

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tirade posted:

4) Gaspy hammers.

I didn't say it came from nowhere, but again the "lets comment on things right out the gate" thing is very scum. Similarly scum tend to do a whole "yeah RIP [town player]" after a town lynch. Little things.

Little things that point to an assuredness a town player simply can't have. Or shouldn't.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

This kind of "oh well I guess I have to vote this way due to ____" preface is also really, really common for scum. I don't see why a town player would need to detach themselves from a vote.

I'm not detaching myself from a vote. You are my #1 pick for scum currently.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I really wish Mithranderp would just post and not just promise to effort post later.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm not detaching myself from a vote. You are my #1 pick for scum currently.

"I'm too dumb to get tactics" is detaching yourself from a vote.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Kommando posted:

I really wish Mithranderp would just post and not just promise to effort post later.

that behaviour of mith's made me super suss on her last game but it turned out she was town then. i think uni really does just devour her weekdays.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

"I'm too dumb to get tactics" is detaching yourself from a vote.

I'd say "no guys, I was just acting like scum to trick the real scum(who know my alignment for certain anyway)" is a lot more detachment than anything I said.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'd say "no guys, I was just acting like scum to trick the real scum(who know my alignment for certain anyway)" is a lot more detachment than anything I said.

Yeah except I've used this tactic heaps of times now and generally more to success than failure.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

because

he and Tirade are in sync.

tbf i asked you that question before he voted.

anyway so just based on them both being suss on you this morning? isn't that one of those 'too obvious things scum would never do' ™?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If someone brings a better argument I'll swap my vote . But as things stand I'd be willing to drop the hammer on you and deal with whatever consequences result.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah except I've used this tactic heaps of times now and generally more to success than failure.

phyx, you need a new shtick.

##vote Asphyxious

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

tbf i asked you that question before he voted.

anyway so just based on them both being suss on you this morning? isn't that one of those 'too obvious things scum would never do' ™?

nah its not just based on that give me some credit. It's the manner as well. You'd see for yourself, me dropping the hammer is an easy one, a gimme. The idea was that scum would be overconfident and rush in. And tirade and gough rushed. Makes sense, no?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

WELL I NEVER.

That being said, yeah.

I think tirade is scum
I think Beet is town
I think TOML is 50/50
I think gough is 50/50

Re-reading this it makes even less sense to me than the first time. Hammer on someone you think is town to attract votes the next day from people who will definitely be scum because only scum would vote for someone based on hammering early on a town player?

:psyduck:

##vote Asphyxious

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Makes sense, no?

No. It really doesn't.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Re-reading this it makes even less sense to me than the first time. Hammer on someone you think is town to attract votes the next day from people who will definitely be scum because only scum would vote for someone based on hammering early on a town player?

:psyduck:

##vote Asphyxious

What? I didn't think he was town! He hadn't posted, it was completely up in the air.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

the way I see it is this pseudo scum behaviour is a personal win for you. it keeps you alive longer as you admitted by being unhelpful to the town the scum don't night kill you. But it fucks the towns reasoning, and investigations are wasted against you. It's unhelpful and selfish. And really easy to hide if you are actually scum.

it's a bad play and you're getting a name for yourself as a bad, annoying player.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Honestly if you want to hammer me go for it. I've got a completely garbage investigation role and its possible that the "apparently good" town players might get better data from being being dead than by clamouring to disagree with me while I'm alive.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Kommando posted:

the way I see it is this pseudo scum behaviour is a personal win for you. it keeps you alive longer as you admitted by being unhelpful to the town the scum don't night kill you. But it fucks the towns reasoning, and investigations are wasted against you. It's unhelpful and selfish. And really easy to hide if you are actually scum.

it's a bad play and you're getting a name for yourself as a bad, annoying player.

annoying yes, bad, no. My scum picks are fuckin GOLD and all the kvetching from you lot can't take that away from me.

You can hammer me but I'll know the real reason.

Jealousy

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:airquote:jealously :airquote:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

##unvote

phyx, be more useful.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

nah its not just based on that give me some credit. It's the manner as well. You'd see for yourself, me dropping the hammer is an easy one, a gimme. The idea was that scum would be overconfident and rush in. And tirade and gough rushed. Makes sense, no?

yeah i have no suspicion for the dropping of the hammer. tbh i can't remember any game lately where people have jumped on the person who threw the hammer. I guess what my point was that in light of kommando's project claim, i posted that that isn't' very pro town if you're cutting off another townies chance of getting their project. i even gave you an out thinking maybe your secret condition was to hammer a player and you got it. you ignoring that out makes me less suss of you tbh, but then again you might think that i might think. ad infinitum or ad nauseum.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

scratch that, be less selfish.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Kommando posted:

scratch that, be less selfish.

I only know how to Maverick. BUT. I am learning. I think every game I get closer to a team play style. Like slowwwwly. I've learnt to work with Beet and trust his input. I no longer try to solo whole games.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

yeah i have no suspicion for the dropping of the hammer. tbh i can't remember any game lately where people have jumped on the person who threw the hammer. I guess what my point was that in light of kommando's project claim, i posted that that isn't' very pro town if you're cutting off another townies chance of getting their project. i even gave you an out thinking maybe your secret condition was to hammer a player and you got it. you ignoring that out makes me less suss of you tbh, but then again you might think that i might think. ad infinitum or ad nauseum.

This might be a case of (as Milky puts it) "not knowing when to shut up" but if you want my justification for THAT, it was a combination of not believing kommando and not caring. "Guys I have to do this special thing so forgive me for posting weird" is kind of like "yes maybe but maybe not so why factor it in?" . Again, not a team player. Sorry Kommando. Thats the sort of thing I'll work on.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Matthew Beet posted:

because he always plays this role, it would be quite an easy style to emulate when scum. "oh I look scummy? That's because i'm trying to be scummy! You coming after me proves your really scum because i lured you into my genius trap".

Wait - does this actually work in auspool?!

Tirade posted:

4) Gaspy hammers.

I re-read what you're talking about at point 3 and I disagree - they asked Kommando if he'd like someone to take his place before hammer and he didn't think it was necessary. That said - even Aspy is saying he did this on purpose to appear scummy which makes my above point more relevant! Like I get on a broader scale that a scumteam may avoid night killing someone they view as an easy lynch target but I've always been far more fearful of the town than the scumteam regardless of alignment. The town will latch onto anything suspicious to the point where I usually end up having to claim and/or defend myself every bloody game due to my aggressive posting style. That said - pretending to be scummy to lull the scum team to sleep is a notably townie strategem as I have yet to see anyone on the scumteam successfully pull off the "I'm posting scummy but I'm super-town guys" gambit.

But before we get too meta here I'm just going to continue to let the discussion unfold - you guys seem to be a fun community (or faction of community?) and I'm enjoying this :)

-----

Also for anyone still confused about kommando (cause I was so I re-read his posts):

Kommando posted:

I have a secret project that somewhat rewards me for not voting. I'm getting clarification on the rules because it's confusing.

Kommando posted:

I've got clarification, no idea what happens if the project triggers but I got it spelled out.
I'm still voting for BSG Razor.
hope this helps.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Gaspy, after this crisis of faith you shall be born again with stronger resolve. :pray:

--

Anyway. I'm off to work. Have fun conducting your unspeakable experiments or dancing naked through the trees or whatever.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Kleedrac posted:

Wait - does this actually work in auspool?!

Yeah it really does. I have a habit of getting day one scum picks and getting night killed for my troubles. By playing like an rear end scum keep me around despite the danger it represents. It's actually a sweet gig except for the fact everyone thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Like last game I picked the scum godfather after like 2 posts and people still don't know how I did it. And me not telling them is part of the rear end in a top hat gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

Gaspy, after this crisis of faith you shall be born again with stronger resolve. :pray:

--

Anyway. I'm off to work. Have fun conducting your unspeakable experiments or dancing naked through the trees or whatever.

It sounds like you have a lot of empathy for my situation.

• Locked thread