Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can't root the Moto G, don't get the Moto G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

You don't have to root the Moto G because it works like it should out of the box; get the Moto G.

Fixed that for you.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nimper posted:

Fixed that for you.

You don't know what you are missing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

You don't know what you are missing.

I know exactly what I'm missing. I used to root my phones until I got a Moto X. Now I don't need to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

whatever7 posted:

You can't root the Moto G, don't get the Moto G.

It's not 2010, you don't really need to root your android phone anymore.

E: oh, you're one of those people

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nimper posted:

I know exactly what I'm missing. I used to root my phones until I got a Moto X. Now I don't need to.

Brained washed google zombie fanboys.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

Brained washed google zombie fanboys.

Drunk posting is a bannable offense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Why would you get the Moto G when the Moto E is faster?

quote:

Moto E LTE (2nd gen) - $150 if you need have an SD slot (you don't)
He said he doesn't care about LTE, in which case he can save $30 getting the 3G version.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Because benchmarks really mean nothing. Just get the phone that you want to use. A Moto E, G, X are all excellent choices. But guess what, so is a S4, G2, and M7.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cicero posted:

Why would you get the Moto G when the Moto E is faster?

He said he doesn't care about LTE, in which case he can save $30 getting the 3G version.

Bigger screen (if you want thtat), higher resolution, and nicer camera on the Moto G. The E camera doesn't have flash, for example.

E: Yeah, you really can't go wrong with any of the phones listed above. They're all solid choices.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anywhere online I can go to find people to go in on a Cricket group pay?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anywhere online I can go to find people to go in on a Cricket group pay?

I may be interested in this. And I might have another person as well.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FAUXTON posted:

I would have initially dismissed this as a troll post but having seen your posting elsewhere I know that can't be the case.

MicroSD slots are not going to be something you'll find easily when you're also looking for a decent phone with ongoing support and non-WiMax 4G.

lg g3s are dropping in price pretty quickly. I just bought a new one for 400 with a 100 dollar amazon gc included. I expect them to drop in price quite a lot once the g4 is out.

Also rooting is still about the only way to still get updates once your phone is no longer "supported." I don't personally think 2 years of updates is enough for phones that are still perfectly fine. Hell my Galaxy S3 was still getting pretty regular support on the ROM scene.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

Not caring about LTE seems like crazytown to me, but to each his own, I guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

cbirdsong posted:

Eh, my second gen Moto G lacks LTE and I really struggle to think of a situation where HSPA+ isn't fast enough. The most intense thing I do on my phone is stream music.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

cbirdsong posted:

If you're using Verizon, yeah definitely, because EVDO is really slow. But 3G or HSPA is actually pretty decent.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
This thread is the poo poo, read every post, you guys are awesome. Just ordered a $120 LTE Moto G 8GB on Swappa, going to sign up for Cricket as soon as it gets here. I can just go to Wal-Mart for a SIM card yes? Anyone wanna bust me a referral? (Could take me up to 2 weeks to use it if that's an issue, but it's definitely the route I'm taking)

edit: OH, I see on their site that if you bring a phone to them they give you a SIM card for .99 cents as well?

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 16, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All Else Failed posted:

This thread is the poo poo, read every post, you guys are awesome. Just ordered a $120 LTE Moto G 8GB on Swappa, going to sign up for Cricket as soon as it gets here. I can just go to Wal-Mart for a SIM card yes? Anyone wanna bust me a referral? (Could take me up to 2 weeks to use it if that's an issue, but it's definitely the route I'm taking)

Email me your name using the email you want to sign up for cricket with

As for the $.99 SIM card, I'm not sure. That sounds like it's something new. Do report back though if that's the case!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 16, 2015

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I went to Walmart looking for a Cricket sim last month and couldn't find any. Cricket ships quickly though.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

ThermoPhysical posted:

Email me your name using the email you want to sign up for cricket with

As for the $.99 SIM card, I'm not sure. That sounds like it's something new. Do report back though if that's the case!

Got it, thanks! Will do. Here's a screengrab in the meantime, seems pretty straightforward.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Massasoit posted:

I may be interested in this. And I might have another person as well.

I would be too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts
tacosupreme
Massasoit, potentially +another.

Have 3 or potentially 4. Anyone else?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm getting ready to order a Moto E LTE, but I saw something that I don't think had been mentioned here. Cricket is selling the phone for $49.99 with activation. How the hell does that work? That's a stupid good deal if there's no strings attached.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/smartphones/moto-e-lte.html

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volkerball posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm getting ready to order a Moto E LTE, but I saw something that I don't think had been mentioned here. Cricket is selling the phone for $49.99 with activation. How the hell does that work? That's a stupid good deal if there's no strings attached.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/smartphones/moto-e-lte.html

Its basically a subsidy, think of evil ATT handing out $50 to buy a subscriber. The way corporate America works is that spending money to buy subscribers make stock value go up.

Also, Cricket still make at lease $15 from you every money since the whole sale price is 15 lower.

Remember to SIM unlock it to "stick it to the man."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Can that Moto E discount be combined with a referral?

E: never mind, looks like it can!

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you buy from Cricket, you won't be able to tether.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you buy from Cricket, you won't be able to tether.

I'm working on convincing my mother to switch from ting to cricket (she has a galaxy nexus on ting :psypop:), she won't be attempting to tether anything to her phone except maybe a little dog charm ornament

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

FAUXTON posted:

a little dog charm ornament

The sacred insignia of Mobile Moms everywhere.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm signing up for Cricket right now. Anyone want to pm me or post their account email address for a referral? $25 for both of us.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Volkerball posted:

I'm signing up for Cricket right now. Anyone want to pm me or post their account email address for a referral? $25 for both of us.

PMd you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volkerball posted:

https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/5Mv7sH7

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
H2O is absolutely horrible.

I activated a service with them 16 days ago, on May 2. I got the $30 since I'm applying for jobs and I need to have a callback number. I gave it to a few friends too. About a week ago I realized I wasn't getting good service, but I chalked it up to being in a kinda rural area. Turns out I actually had no service, and a friend emailed me this past weekend that when he calls that number, someone else answered.

Two days later, I've spend over 3 hours on the phone with H2O trying to figure out what happened. From what I can tell, a dealer in another part of the country somehow managed to put my phone number on another SIM card without my permission. I'm assuming it was for someone that had the service recently and let it lapse. This person has been (hopefully) receiving phone calls from job opportunities meant for me. He has been receiving text messages meant for me, and now he has the phone numbers of people I deal with.

H2O said I should buy another SIM card and they'd credit me for 15 days. I told them that wouldn't be enough, since that doesn't even match up with what I've shelled out in extra money plus the days I've been out of service. They transferred the number back to me, which I didn't even really care for since the new guy has more history with it. They refuse to give me any more credit than the puny amount they've already done, which doesn't even begin to cover the damage of having to recontact prospective employers or the fact that this new guy has phone numbers of people that I associate with. If he's upset about losing his phone number, what's to stop him from calling and harrassing them?

What are my options here? I've NEVER had such a horrible customer service experience in my life, and that's saying a lot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What do you expect them to do? Call your job prospects for you and give the guy a lobotomy to remove the knowledge of the phone numbers?

It sounds like what they offered was pretty reasonable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shnicker posted:

H2O is absolutely horrible.

I activated a service with them 16 days ago, on May 2. I got the $30 since I'm applying for jobs and I need to have a callback number. I gave it to a few friends too. About a week ago I realized I wasn't getting good service, but I chalked it up to being in a kinda rural area. Turns out I actually had no service, and a friend emailed me this past weekend that when he calls that number, someone else answered.

Two days later, I've spend over 3 hours on the phone with H2O trying to figure out what happened. From what I can tell, a dealer in another part of the country somehow managed to put my phone number on another SIM card without my permission. I'm assuming it was for someone that had the service recently and let it lapse. This person has been (hopefully) receiving phone calls from job opportunities meant for me. He has been receiving text messages meant for me, and now he has the phone numbers of people I deal with.

H2O said I should buy another SIM card and they'd credit me for 15 days. I told them that wouldn't be enough, since that doesn't even match up with what I've shelled out in extra money plus the days I've been out of service. They transferred the number back to me, which I didn't even really care for since the new guy has more history with it. They refuse to give me any more credit than the puny amount they've already done, which doesn't even begin to cover the damage of having to recontact prospective employers or the fact that this new guy has phone numbers of people that I associate with. If he's upset about losing his phone number, what's to stop him from calling and harrassing them?

What are my options here? I've NEVER had such a horrible customer service experience in my life, and that's saying a lot.

I've found prepaid carriers in general are pretty bad with customer service. With Virgin Mobile I ported a number from t-mobile to it. The person from Virgin handling it cancelled my account (with the number they gave me when I activated the phone), opened a new account with the ported number, and wiped out the 15 days of the 30 days of prepaid time I had left on the original account without telling me that that would happen. I called them and emailed them quite a lot about it but it was the same company line of "that it is against their policy to give out time credit", despite them loving it up in the first place. They even claimed they didn't have a record of it because the original account was deleted.

With Republic wireless I tried to port my number from Virgin, and the form just had a field for account number. Okay, Virgin's account numbers are your phone number. But it kept failing to port and they just put "wrong account number" in the error while porting field. I just re-entered it a few times assuming they had hosed it up, but it turns out that Virgin has a hidden account number which is independent of your phone number (which makes the previous experience with them completely baffling) that you have to call them up and ask for. Once I had that, then I was able to port. It's not really Republic's fault (it's mostly Virgin Mobile's fault) but they don't really communicate the issue well and I'm sure I wasn't the first person to port from Virgin Mobile.

Anyway it is really lovely that someone was allowed to basically steal your phone number but I don't think they will ever offer you more than the time you were without a phone (if even that). They can't really be held responsible for monetary loss due to their service not working (much like an ISP doesn't give a poo poo if you are trying to work from home and their service is broken beyond crediting you for one day of service) unless you felt like trying to sue them, and I imagine most lawyers would not take that case. There are very few cases where a company will assure a certain amount of uptime and actually be held responsible for it in some way. It's totally normal to be angry about it but nobody on their side will take responsibility for it.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

My friend has an iPhone 5 with a 2 year sprint contract that just finished a few months ago and is looking to switch to the T-Mobile $30 plan... This should work right? You can get the Tmobile plan on an existing phone (just need a new SIM) and there won't be issues with network compatibility?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

My friend has an iPhone 5 with a 2 year sprint contract that just finished a few months ago and is looking to switch to the T-Mobile $30 plan... This should work right? You can get the Tmobile plan on an existing phone (just need a new SIM) and there won't be issues with network compatibility?

Sprint's iPhone 5 doesn't support any of T-mobile's LTE bands, but will get 3G HSPA+. However, Sprint isn't officially unlocking the 5 for domestic carrier SIMs. Apparently, some people are asking Sprint for international SIM unlocks for the 5 and getting full domestic unlocks. Only way to know is to try sticking a T-Mobile SIM in and see.

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do you expect them to do? Call your job prospects for you and give the guy a lobotomy to remove the knowledge of the phone numbers?

It sounds like what they offered was pretty reasonable.

Obviously not, but like I said, the 15 days of credit doesn't even account for the time my original SIM card has been inactive plus the money I spent on a new SIM card.

Supposedly it's been escalated to some management team that will call me tonight or tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rexxed posted:

Anyway it is really lovely that someone was allowed to basically steal your phone number but I don't think they will ever offer you more than the time you were without a phone (if even that). They can't really be held responsible for monetary loss due to their service not working (much like an ISP doesn't give a poo poo if you are trying to work from home and their service is broken beyond crediting you for one day of service) unless you felt like trying to sue them, and I imagine most lawyers would not take that case. There are very few cases where a company will assure a certain amount of uptime and actually be held responsible for it in some way. It's totally normal to be angry about it but nobody on their side will take responsibility for it.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much. I was hoping for maybe the slim chance that someone here worked for them. I think a free month of service would've been reasonable, but we'll see what the escalation team says (if anything).

I guess the moral of the story is to call them right after activating it to establish a code so that no one else can tamper with your service.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 20, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Shnicker posted:

Obviously not, but like I said, the 15 days of credit doesn't even account for the time my original SIM card has been inactive plus the money I spent on a new SIM card.

Supposedly it's been escalated to some management team that will call me tonight or tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much. I was hoping for maybe the slim chance that someone here worked for them. I think a free month of service would've been reasonable, but we'll see what the escalation team says (if anything).

I guess the moral of the story is to call them right after activating it to establish a code so that no one else can tamper with your service.

Google voice man. Get on it. That way, even if that poo poo happened, you would at least have the record of the call, and voicemails if it went to it. Hell, you can even answer the call on your computer if you're sitting at it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm thinking about moving from Straight Talk to Cricket, but I see some stuff about people complaining about lovely speeds. Also, when I punch my phone's IMEI into their site it says it will only get 3g (it's an unlocked 2014 Moto X), and looking online seems to show at least some people actually being stuck at 3g speeds. Any thoughts/experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I'm thinking about moving from Straight Talk to Cricket, but I see some stuff about people complaining about lovely speeds. Also, when I punch my phone's IMEI into their site it says it will only get 3g (it's an unlocked 2014 Moto X), and looking online seems to show at least some people actually being stuck at 3g speeds. Any thoughts/experience?

There haven't been any lovely speeds for a while, it seems. That was a proxy issue that got fixed sometime last year.

Even so, speed issues or not, Cricket is still better than anything from Straight Talk, Net10, or Tracfone in general.