Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Considering how iffily Witcher 2 performed I'm relieved and impressed that on a below minimum spec laptop Witcher 3 runs more than acceptably. That Nvidia driver update worked wonders.

Even better, all the graphics options are ingame rather than an external launcher, which cuts down on the fiddling time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I am somewhat confused by the fact that a level 7 quest rewarded me with a blueprint for a fantastic piece of level 24 epic armor.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Nekker soup with elf for taste :allears: Comte, your work?

:)

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Quick question, The first loading screen when starting a new game after Geralt is shown asleep just goes on forever. The tutorial tips and music play but the loading bar dose not progress.

I am playing on PS4 and patched to version 1.02, and simulating a witcher 2 save.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I just completed White Orchard and It was impressively big enough that I was expecting the other areas in the game to be of similar size.

Just traveled to Velen and zoomed the map out :aaa:

ya got moxie kid!
Apr 22, 2006
what

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Quick question, The first loading screen when starting a new game after Geralt is shown asleep just goes on forever. The tutorial tips and music play but the loading bar dose not progress.

I am playing on PS4 and patched to version 1.02, and simulating a witcher 2 save.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

I did; restarting the PS4 fixed it.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Gwent is super goddamn cool!

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Lumbs posted:

I did; restarting the PS4 fixed it.

Cheers that worked.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
This game is good. Averaging 45-50 FPS with a single 970 with Ultra+Hairworks. Now if I can just get my surround sound working I'll be a happy camper.

But, for now, it's sleepy time. Congrats to Comte and the rest of CDPR on a job well done. Have fun working out all the bugs these next few days. ;)

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Gobblecoque posted:

I just completed White Orchard and It was impressively big enough that I was expecting the other areas in the game to be of similar size.

Just traveled to Velen and zoomed the map out :aaa:

I'm in the same boat. :aaa: Took me about 7 hours to get out of there cause I was having so much fun just wandering around.

Found a funny bug too.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there realistically any reason to get a console ver of this over the PC ver?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there realistically any reason to get a console ver of this over the PC ver?

Personal preference or if you can't run it on PC

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
On another note, if you got the game through GOG (and maybe Steam?) they have added a new Extra--"The WItcher Universe Compendium."

I have only skimmed it, but it appears to give the background information regarding WHAT IS ALL THIS WITCHER AND MEDALLION AND SWORD BUSINESS as well as what happened in the previous games, all in about 18 pages.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

Personal preference or if you can't run it on PC

I have a GTX 770, that would probably out-run the console versions, right?

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

I have a GTX 770, that would probably out-run the console versions, right?

Yes it would (it should be fine)... but [discussion of cores and such].

Also, a borrow from PA but you should start reading this cuz its good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wish_%28book%29

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't beat the wild hunt warrior in vergen

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Witcher 3 has steam cards. I'm really curious about the emotes and/or backgrounds it offers. Not low-effort ones, either. They have descriptions and everything!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My video driver crashes when playing after about 30 minutes. Time to dive into hours of pointless troubleshooting.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game is so god drat good. I actually got a decent bit of coin saved up now and trying to decide what to spend it on because once I spend it I won't see that much coin again for a long time.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I hit a bandit in the chest with a grapeshot bomb and it blew everything above his waist off in a shower of gore and killed the other bandit standing near him.

GOTY

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
GOTY. Are there any haters?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

For those who are having the issue with the game crashing on inventory/book reading, the Nvidia control panel trick from earlier worked for me too - played a couple of hours this morning, read plenty of books, no crashing yet. You need to add Witcher 3 to your programs list under Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3d Settings -> Program Settings (tab). Once there, click on the option for "Power Management Mode" and set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Other things that I did: switch to borderless window mode and turned off hardware cursor under video options in game.

Please note that this may all be the usual PC games voodoo, but it appears to have worked for me and has reportedly worked for others.

Also this game fuckin' owns. I'm 4 hours in and I've still got a ton of WO left to do. Also, the writing is fantastic.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Nien posted:

Its too early for that. People loved Dragon Age Inquisition for the first few days, after that the complaints started coming.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Charlie Mopps posted:

Its too early for that. People loved Dragon Age Inquisition for the first few days, after that the complaints started coming.

Also, the writing is fantastic.

Someone else said that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Nien posted:

Yeah. Check the steam thread.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

cheesetriangles posted:

This game is so god drat good. I actually got a decent bit of coin saved up now and trying to decide what to spend it on because once I spend it I won't see that much coin again for a long time.

Coin does seem undertuned in the game kinda, some mats for crafting at like 400-500 and you barely get that much from vendoring an entire zone from what I've seen.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Xenoith posted:

Just got a 19MB patch on steam, wtf is that for? So small.

The first two DLCs just unlocked.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I would murder every one of you for a second emerald dust - just sayin'

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Yeah, it takes a little while for buyer's remorse to set in. Not saying anyone will really be regretting the purchase. Just that the novelty/hype wears off and people actually start to acknowledge actual problems. Especially if they are persistent and really drag a game down from great to good, or worse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some of my friends already rushed through the game, in 10 hours apparently.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

While it is a bit superficial, I realy, really love the improvements in mimic and gestic during dialogs. The facial animations are lovely, the fact that characters now move around a bit, looking aorund. Geralt has some pretty smug expressions, and it just underlines the strong characters.

Also, I'm gay for geralt. He is so badass.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, it takes a little while for buyer's remorse to set in.

If you have read Sapkowski's stuff then you can never something something something...

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I keep posing here when I shouldn't.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Biggest complaint i have so far is the movement is horrible. Walking is fine, but running he turns like some sort of resident evil style tank controls. It's not a major drag, but still irritating.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I keep posing here when I shouldn't.

lol, you changed that loving tune quick.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Dan Didio posted:

lol, you changed that loving tune quick.

Before the release the thread was a lot lower profile and I could get away with being catty, and with all the newcomers I'm not sure how some of the things I say will be taken. It'll probably be a while before I post substantively again.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

megalodong posted:

Biggest complaint i have so far is the movement is horrible. Walking is fine, but running he turns like some sort of resident evil style tank controls. It's not a major drag, but still irritating.

Yeah. There's some weird thing also where if you press a direction key while standing geralt won't always or immediately start going that away.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Fun game so far. What differences will I see if I simulate a Witcher 2 save or not? Very fun place to explore, I have a horse but often find myself just running everywhere.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Jusupov posted:

Yeah. There's some weird thing also where if you press a direction key while standing geralt won't always or immediately start going that away.

It's annoying to be standing almost on top of something you want to interact with yet be unable to do so. It feels like Geralt is "using" objects with his toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
i cant get the hud to be at the edges cause of my resolution, never had this happen w a game before