Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

or portable ops. i guess people dont care about that one though

To be fair with the last one, you can't even put it on the Vita normally anyway. Still don't get the need for the whitelist, but least I still have the Crash and Spyro games on my Vita (and usable on the Vita TV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Both Metal Gear games work in Europe! They're the reason I got this dumb thing!

I just wish I didn't have to choose between analog movement and analog aiming. Who thought shipping a thing with only one analog stick was a good idea back then? We were already deep into the Dual Shock era goddamnit!

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Digging this thread back up to report that the latest Software Update improves the PS TV remote play experience by a good measure. I have my PS TV and my PS4 connected through ethernet over a powerline ethernet adapter and prior to this latest update my remote play experience was just ok. You could play most games just fine but the occassional stuttering and slight input delay would be typical of the experience. Now the stream is much improved and the input delay is almost gone. Unless I really try I don't notice the slight input lag anymore. I just played an hour or two of Bloodborne and apart from the resolution loss it felt just as responsive and smooth as sitting down in the living room.

I actually want to use this device for its intended purpose now!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Magic Shortbus posted:

I actually want to use this device for its intended purpose now!

That's pretty cool. Hopefully it continues to improve and they can reduce input latency further.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Magic Shortbus posted:

I have my PS TV and my PS4 connected through ethernet over a powerline ethernet adapter and prior to this latest update my remote play experience was just ok. You could play most games just fine but the occassional stuttering and slight input delay would be typical of the experience. Now the stream is much improved and the input delay is almost gone.
Nice, I will have to give it another shot then. The input lag didn't bother me but the stuttering over Ethernet was distracting me a lot in a previous version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A few games updated while I wasn't looking and are now PSTV-compatible:

Guacamelee (even supports 2 players local!)
Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit!

I think Sony mis-tagged Guacamelee, though, as its DLC shows up in the PSTV-specific store but the game itself does not. The patch notes specifically call attention to PSTV support, and Senran Kagura Bon Appetit on the store mentions the PSTV specifically. And, well, I played both games and can confirm they work.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
That is pretty cool, but what's the deal with Lumines Electronic Symphony? I know if you tap the refresh button, it allows you to play it, but that means I have to connect to the Internet to do that. Any chance that Sony will update the local whitelist on the Vita?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

That is pretty cool, but what's the deal with Lumines Electronic Symphony? I know if you tap the refresh button, it allows you to play it, but that means I have to connect to the Internet to do that. Any chance that Sony will update the local whitelist on the Vita?

Is there some reason you're trying not to connect it to the internet?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
I travel a lot and I like taking the Vita TV with me (small and compact) to play on the Hotel's TV.

I guess it's not a big deal, but it's a bit annoying since it works FINE on the Vita...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

I travel a lot and I like taking the Vita TV with me (small and compact) to play on the Hotel's TV.

I guess it's not a big deal, but it's a bit annoying since it works FINE on the Vita...

Do you have to do it every single time? I was under the impression if you did it once it would be "set" but maybe that doesn't persist between shutdowns. Have you tried since the 3.50 update?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

Do you have to do it every single time? I was under the impression if you did it once it would be "set" but maybe that doesn't persist between shutdowns. Have you tried since the 3.50 update?

Not since the 3.50 update... I'll try it again and see if it "sticks" now.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
I hope Sony announces that this thing will support Playstation Vue soon.

It just makes sense but their current app support is abysmal which doesn't make sense and leads me to believe this will follow the Vita and won't get much more support... :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did a new set of testing to figure out which games supported multiple controllers, which for some reason is difficult to find information for. Not exactly exhaustive but tried a pile of games including UMvC3, Dragon's Crown, EDF, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Minecraft...basically anything I could think of. Unfortunately I found another 2 incompatible games (Q*bert: Rebooted and Helldivers) but came up with 4/5 local multiplayer-capable games.

- Divekick doesn't support multiple controllers but still has a versus mode where both players share half of a single controller
- Guacamelee
- Metal Slug 3
- Nidhogg (can be played normally where each person has their own controller; if you only have 1 controller hooked up both players "share" half the controller like on Vita. This doesn't happen on PS4, where the game insists on a 2nd controller being hooked up)
- Spelunky is, I think, the only 4-player capable game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Did a new set of testing to figure out which games supported multiple controllers, which for some reason is difficult to find information for.
I think we all know the reason and just don't want to say it. Still wish they could bother to post their whitelist publicly, for instance. Thanks for the testing though. I don't have anything I would even suspect of having local multiplayer or I'd try some out as well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone else not turn their Playstation TV on for like ever because you're mad that <insert game here> still doesn't work (if your answer isn't Ys you suck)

Well a POC has been posted and it appears to at least work up to 3.36. Something changed in 3.50 and broke a bunch of the hacks people used so probably doesn't work there, who knows. As of right now all that is out is this very sexy video of Playstation TV running non-whitelisted games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g8XSopnPbo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I use mine a lot for Remote Play, so hopefully the hacks can keep up reliably with the firmware updates.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
gamestop.com (online only) : PSTV $40, available May 28

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yechezkel posted:

Still wish I hadn't overpaid for mine.

Still living the pipe dream of wishing for an affordable larger memory card.

Still raging at the whitelist.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yechezkel posted:

i grabbed one. 40 bucks, why not

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > PS Vita TV - A game for the Vita TV is more expensive than the Vita TV

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Wired up my PS TV, works great! PS4 Link is fantastic!

...This is going to be one of those *hidden gems* consoles in a youtube video 5-6 years from now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

RadicalR posted:

...This is going to be one of those *hidden gems* consoles in a youtube video 5-6 years from now.

i bought one because of this. It's such a weird thing for Sony to release and the way it's going its looking like the retailers are dumping it, and I figure it's the last time I'd be able to grab one before they disappear and you see them on youtube for $100 bucks

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
is there some kind of known issue like this or something with VLR (or any vita game maybe) on the PSTV?? i played it some last night fine but when i went to play it earlier today, the game kept freezing either when i would choose "continue" or when the intro would end/i would skip it. this happened a dozen or so times before i tried disabling that vita touchpad spoofing setting and it loaded up just fine.
i turned the setting back on once i loaded my save and played for about an hour and when i went to save the game froze again and i had to quit out.
later, i powered off the pstv and powered it back on and was able to load a save and save the game without issue while the touchpad option was on???

does that touchpad spoofing option cause trouble or what?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Worst Girl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > PS Vita TV - A game for the Vita TV is more expensive than the Vita TV
Is there yet? Most of them seem to start at $40 retail. Still funny that it's tied, but then the PSTV box price is also not including a controller or (basically mandatory) memory unless you get the more expensive bundle.

And if you don't have a large memory card, a PC or PS3 to offload to is also almost mandatory.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CrashCat posted:

Is there yet? Most of them seem to start at $40 retail. Still funny that it's tied, but then the PSTV box price is also not including a controller or (basically mandatory) memory unless you get the more expensive bundle.

And if you don't have a large memory card, a PC or PS3 to offload to is also almost mandatory.

Depends on if the game comes with a pillow case.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Having just finished Persona 4 [I won't cross post my huge gushing post about it to another thread but holy poo poo literally the best game], I can say my Vita TV has totally justified itself by letting me play P4 on a bigger screen - an extra 20" monitor, hooked up via scan line generator like I posted about before - and with a really nice soundsystem.

Persona 4's soundtrack deserves a good sound system. Headphones were fine when I was flying and playing but it was nice playing at home with something nice and loud.

I still really like it, I just wish either Sony would whitelist more poo poo or someone comes out with a proper hack that whitelists everything but still lets me keep PSN access and not get me banned [never going to happen, I know]

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I guess the InPin converter works on the PSTV, so you can use an arcade stick on one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkb3TmXnMSc

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

CrashCat posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Memory Card for the Vita TV costs more than the Vita TV

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I forget if I mentioned this in the OP but the Vita TV is like the slim model of Vita, in that it has 1 gig of internal memory which you can use without a memory card. Now unless you stick to the right physical games and smaller indie downloadables this won't get you anywhere, but it's there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Any recent games been incompatible with the PSTV? Last games I can think of are Helldivers and Q*Bert Rebooted, not sure if there have been any since.

https://physicalgames.wordpress.com/pstv/

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Alien Shooter just released and apparently is not compatible.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I wish they'd whitelist Katamari, it's not like I ever used the stupid touch controls more than like once or twice and I imagine that's what's holding it back. :argh:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I wish they'd patch Disgaea 3, the Japanese version works but the NA one doesn't, and I have it from PS+ a couple years back.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So PS Vue will never work with the PSTV. How loving stupid is that? Yes, let's not give VUE a lower entry point than $400 while increasing sales of the PSTV.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
PSTV+DS3+memory stick+some lego game bundle was $45 on groupon this morning and I missed it :qq:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

jabro posted:

So PS Vue will never work with the PSTV. How loving stupid is that? Yes, let's not give VUE a lower entry point than $400 while increasing sales of the PSTV.

"What is this PSTV you speak of?" - Sony

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

jabro posted:

I could see this not being Sony's decision, actually. TV content owners are completely bonkers when it comes to controlling access to their content with an iron fist to a degree even movies don't really do, and I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally want there to be a $399 "cost of entry". The fact that Vue itself isn't just gated within the U.S. but by city is equally pretty crazy, and various services are getting more aggressive towards people circumventing their region restrictions.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

jabro posted:

So PS Vue will never work with the PSTV.

Do you have a source for this? I can't find anything on this subject past March 2015.

I also found this disappointing bit of info in regards to my idea of having a PS TV with PS Vue on it and watching my programs wherever I travel (within the coverage zone):

Subscribers will not be able to physically take their console to a location outside the home and access PlayStation Vue service.
:(

Source: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448/~/ps-vue%3A-using-on-multiple-systems

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jabro posted:

They can't even allow YouTube on the thing, so this comes as zero surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Startyde posted:

PSTV+DS3+memory stick+some lego game bundle was $45 on groupon this morning and I missed it :qq:

I bought one two weeks ago for $40 console only, and missed out on the controller + memory card which separately total $60 anyway.

• Locked thread