Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JT Jag posted:

Agreed. Tell them that if they can help us get out of the trial free and clear, they can have our soulstone, as a token of good faith. They want that too after all, I can only presume. Once that's done with, we'll start working towards this staff nonsense at our own drat pace.

This is reasonable.

v: That too. Not to keen on mucking about with souls.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Agreed. Tell them that if they can help us get out of the trial free and clear, they can have our soulstone, as a token of good faith. They want that too after all, I can only presume. Once that's done with, we'll start working towards this staff nonsense at our own drat pace.

While we can give them the soulstone, as a token of good faith, it should be without any implication that we're holding one of their precious brethren hostage contingent upon their help. Otherwise, they can just take the soulstone from us, either through psyker witchery or beating us to a pulp.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
"Oh hi it's us, the Eldar."

Man, this is a whole bunch of terrible Inquisitors.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Could be some particularly articulate ork infiltrators.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ElrondHubbard posted:

Could be some particularly articulate ork infiltrators.

"Hullo Humie. We da Eldar. Bask in our glory and stuff."
"Yeah, we's a bunch of poncy gits. Let's show dem how acro-bat-ic we is."
*The not-Eldar begin to break-dance, ocassionally bumbing into one another. This predictably leads to shoving, and poorly hidden choppas and sluggas are soon drawn*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RickVoid posted:

"Hullo Humie. We da Eldar. Bask in our glory and stuff."
"Yeah, we's a bunch of poncy gits. Let's show dem how acro-bat-ic we is."
*The not-Eldar begin to break-dance, ocassionally bumbing into one another. This predictably leads to shoving, and poorly hidden choppas and sluggas are soon drawn*

+1 recruiting some orks elder into our retinue.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Chantilly Say posted:

Ive had them in a few scenes prior, and some Kroot. Radicals have them in their Retinue, and they are kept in the 'public' areas.

I think I even had a whole paragraph about Inquisitors who enforce the rules but dont follow them :D

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Inquisitors can basically do whatever the gently caress they want and only a large number of other inquisitors can stop them.

Except gently caress with the Mechanicus, who have their own people for internal matters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

wiegieman posted:

Inquisitors can basically do whatever the gently caress they want and only a large number of other inquisitors can stop them.

Except gently caress with the Mechanicus, who have their own people for internal matters.
Also gently caress with Space Marines because they're Space Marines. Well, gently caress with them too obviously, that is. And even then there are some very notable exceptions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JT Jag posted:

Also gently caress with Space Marines because they're Space Marines. Well, gently caress with them too obviously, that is. And even then there are some very notable exceptions.

Ork snipers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

my dad posted:

Ork snipers.

Oxymoron.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think there was a story in which an IG regiment got saddled with an extraordinarily sadistic Commissar, so during a battle he was tragically shot by an Ork sniper who had looted an Imperial Guard sniper longlas.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Inquisition nearly exterminated a Space Marine chapter, and blamed it on Ork snipers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
An ork sniper is when your nob spools up the engines and daintily destroys the enemy fortress with a 14km wide space hulk.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Todays music: Amon Amarth

Stay awhile, and listen

You struggled to control your impatience. “Okay, what does that do for me? If I don’t manage this trial, a quest for the staff will have to be some other Daughter of Mars, Daughter of Hera.” Your tone was snide.
“There are none like you, O Daughter. Listen, instead, of the one who came before.”
The other Eldar spoke, rapid fire.
“She was among you.”
“She served you.”
“She swore the oaths.”
“She knew the secret places.”
The Farseer spoke again. “She fought the Great Enemy, our Enemy and yours.”
“She was sworn to protect her own.”
“She broke her word.”
“She paid the price.”
“She abandoned worlds of yours.”
“She granted us the worlds that were ours.”
They were speaking too fast to follow the individual speaker. “She walked the corridors.”
“Gained access to the Webways.”
“Was permitted to our Libraries.”
“Learned ancient knowledge.”
“Won a great victory in the eternal wars.”
Their tone became sad. “But she was found wanting.”
“Her deeds were her punishment.”
“Yet she was punished further.”
“Oathbreaker. Xenolover. Fallen.”
“A hero she was, a hero she is, but still she is watched.”
“Still she serves.”
They fell silent then, and looked at you with their alien eyes.

You let the silence grow, like a living thing. Finally, they spoke. “Do you understand?”
You met their gaze. “A pretty story, but largely irrelevant. Do you want me to help you with the Staff, or not?”
“You do not understand.”
“You will.”
“Our Mistress bids us greeting.”
“Take this. Watch it. Learn.”
You blinked as they handed you a small memory chip. It was shaped like a flower, but seemed compatible with Holy Technology. “Your Mistress? Who are you working for?”
“Call us, if you have need. Call us, when you know how.”
And then they vanished.

You sighed. Trust the Eldar to make things unnecessarily vague, even to the point of mission failure. Probably some cloaking technology, or perhaps a teleporter. You reached out with your sensors, but didn’t find anything. You shook your head, looked around you. Pleasant little room anyway. Might be worth seeing what the memory chip held.

Interacting with it wasn’t difficult, despite the odd casing. Perhaps more interesting, it was locked with your own personal keycode. How had they gotten ahold of that? It wasn’t a huge secret, but even so. It was most commonly used between members of the Mechanicus - even the Imperial Guard would use a different construct.

A screen rose up in front of your eyes, a small visual field set in the middle of your sight. You saw two figures, sitting relaxed. The smaller one was noticeably short, with his eye, cheekbone, and jaw replaced with metal. The taller one wore a laughing mask set in brass and steel, and looked oddly familiar. After a moment, you realized - it was an image of you, drawn in the Eldar style. The merging of human and xeno features made your skin crawl.

“Hello Ohone.” The voice was unsettling, like hearing yourself through water. After a moment, you realized - it was your own voice.
“Oh, wonderful. They’ve got someone to pretend to be me. Is this a tribute band, or just the Eldar being inscrutable?”
The recording waited for you to finish speaking, then said, “Oh no, dear Ohone. I am you, in the flesh. So to speak.”
“And you figured out the timing through some Eldar trickery, I’m sure. What happens if I say nothing?”
The recording waited. The short figure scratched his ear, looked at Eldar-you. Then looked back out at the screen. Eldar-you tapped her fingers on the table in front of her.

Finally, the short figure spoke. “We’ll be here all day, you can’t out stubborn yourself. Get on with it.”
Eldar-you chuckled. “I kind of wanted to see how long Kaydras would let the tape have a silent space. Think he would have edited it out?”
“We’ll never know.”
“Guess not. Now, Ohone.”

You looked skeptically back at them. “Yes?”
“First, we want to make sure this one arrived at the right time.”
“This one?”
“Shh. Now, you should be at the First Conclave?”
“How would I be able to tell you if I wasn’t?”
“Fair point. Okay, here’s how it works. The Dwarf has some points for you.”

You raised your eyebrow. “I thought you were neutral.”
“I was. Events outpaced me.”
“Ones you want me to cause, I expect.”
His metal jaw grinned oddly. “Maybe.”
“Okay, so what’s your cunning plan?”
He nodded, clasped his hands in a way that looked just like the real thing. “Okay, so. The Inquisition at this time is a mess. Divided factions, no central orthodoxy, you know the rest. One thing it does is act as a security precaution - if everything is a cell network, nothing can be really broken.
“But!” He held up a finger. “It also means there are security gaps. Tell me about Mars.”
You blinked. “Just… Mars?”
“The history.”
“Um, okay. We were met by the God-Emperor some ten thousand years ago, during the Great Crusade. He welcomed us as an allied nation - the Inquisition doesn’t oversee Mars heretek, for example.”
“Quite so. And what does that mean for the Inquisition?”
You paused as the realization hit you. “They don’t have Mars level tech or security.”
“You are correct! While impressive, the Conclave is mostly guarded by whatever each Inquisitor can bring to bear. And many of them won’t trust a Magi to layer their security. Some might, sure, but many won’t. They might rely on xenotech, or their own dabbling research.”
You nodded, began to smile. “So I’m probably the most qualified tech-operator here.”
“Just so. Remember how the Occularians treated you at the Cogitator. As the most qualified person on scene.”
“That… that could be very handy.”

Eldar-you nodded, broke in. “Okay, so we need you to use those techniques to win the trial. The memory chip can be refolded into a whistle, the Eldar team I sent will help you. They are currently in the retinue of Czevak Morn, deep cover.”
You paused. “Why?”
Both figures went still. “Why what?”
“Why do you want me to win the Trial in this way? How do the Eldar benefit?”
They paused, then Eldar you spoke. “You don’t really have another option, do you?”
“I might try to find one, just to make sure I don't end up like you. Working with Eldar? Wearing their faces, using their xenotek?”
You could almost feel Eldar-you smile. “Maybe we sent this message so you would do that.”
“All paths lead to you, is that it?”
Eldar-you laughed, an unpleasantly melodious sound. “We can see the future. How could it not?”
“Maybe I’ll just surrender to Siadwell right now, to prevent you from happening.”
“He worked with the Eldar most of all. Know this, Daughter of Mars, Daughter of…” her voice paused meaningfully, “...Hera. Whatever you do, it ends up here.”

What do you do?

A. Focus on tech trickery
B. Use the Eldar squad
C. Ignore their advice entirely
D. Do something wildly out of character, such as ?
E. Something Else

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 20, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
D. Summon Athena. Fate is the path of the weak

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D Call our for our Goddess! Let's see these Eldar fucks handle that!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A

Let's get back to our bread and butter, tech fuckery.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A Do the robot.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What if they know we'd do something out of character? :tinfoil:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tech fuckery is my vote. Let's show them just why the symbol of the Imperium is a double-headed eagle.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
A because we're a TechPriest first and foremost. I want to see us manage to put in a false order from on-high that nets us not only an "innocent" (either through finding the true killer in their datalogs, or by fudging the ballot system itself), AND gets us the piece we need for Athena.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
D

We may be a daughter of Mars, but we are first and foremost a servant of Athena! Call out to our goddess to deliver us from the machinations of these lesser beings.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I've always felt that the best course of action, when faced with someone who may or may not be able to predict the future, is to ignore them entirely until such time as their predictions fail them.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
E: Use the vortex grenade and tech trickery to frame Jazmine for the destruction of the cogitator machine. Use it as cover to steal Athena's macguffin.

What's the point of cheating to win if you can't get personal satisfaction out of it?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A

We must prove ourselves worthy of Athena, not beg for her to save us from every little situation.

Meliarion
Feb 28, 2011
A

How easy would it be for us to make an FTL communication device? If we could get one of those installed into the cogitator then we could have Athena go through it for anything of use. Plus if she can see some way to make it work better then we can use that to get the cogitator faction's votes or if she can hack the cogitator completely then she can use them like a puppet.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
A

Let Bartlet Ohone be Bartlet Ohone.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
D Ask Athena to deliver us from this warren of madness into the holy stillness of her solid state spirit

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

quote:

“Okay, so what’s your cunning plan?”

I dunno what to do, but... Black Adder!!!

The Staff. Athena. Together at last. It's not one or the other.

find the Dworf.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

Tech pokery jiggery

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

SerSpook posted:

D Call our for our Goddess! Let's see these Eldar fucks handle that!

:worship:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A.

Come on guys lets play to our strengths:

• Drop spoofed messages on the Inquisitor network to antagonize factions against each other
  • Make certain sections of the place spooky - mutilated corpses, bloody handprints, flickering lights and sound effects :iiam:
  • Hire a DJ and mandate a dress code of tuxedo an prom dresses for our trial/Nerd Prom
  • Fire drills all day erry day
  • For that matter, have alerts go off randomly every hour, but change the sound effects to animal noises
  • Also release 3 animals on the ship labeled #1, #2 and #4

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, when faced with the Eldar and time travel shenanigans, there's really only one thing to do:

D

Go to the party and schmooze get drunk take over the entertainment and throw a concert of historic significance.
Use fate points.

Use the power of music to unify the Inquisition and bring peace to the galaxy.
After all, the Omnissiah gave rock and roll to you.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A.

Come on guys lets play to our strengths:

• Drop spoofed messages on the Inquisitor network to antagonize factions against each other
  • Make certain sections of the place spooky - mutilated corpses, bloody handprints, flickering lights and sound effects :iiam:
  • Hire a DJ and mandate a dress code of tuxedo an prom dresses for our trial/Nerd Prom
  • Fire drills all day erry day
  • For that matter, have alerts go off randomly every hour, but change the sound effects to animal noises
  • Also release 3 animals on the ship labeled #1, #2 and #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A