Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People care more about form over function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT related but not necessarily work.

How is it that software is getting worse? Isn't it supposed to get better? WIndows 7 was the best OS ever, why make it worse with 8 and 10? I might be alone but Server 2008 R2 was amazing, why change to that lovely 2012 UI? Why was Firefox the perfect browser in 2006 but when I choose a browser in 2015 I'm just picking the one that annoys me the least?

I'd argue with this but then I remember they took out Remote Desktop shadowing from 2012 and then added it back in in 2012 R2 but only if you install the full RDP stack on the server which is loving ridiculous. (Well, you can do it from the command line with mstsc /shadow after you look up the session ID, but for fucks sake it was like three clicks before). Also everything is now in Server Manager, except it isn't. Share & Storage manager doesn't work to show open files and claims you should look in Server Manager, which loving doesn't show them (that I'm aware of, just volumes & shares & disks), so seeing open files on a fileserver means going back to the 2003-era Open Files dialog in Computer Management. Yes yes, I know. I should use Powershell. That's great and all, but sometimes I just want to click a loving button without thinking about verbs and objects.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well, sure, but at the same time if you really think you need 47.5gb worth of emails you can get them the hell off my Exchange server.

eh, we have client execs who have been with the company 20+ years or so and like knowing they "have" the emails. I have no problem with dumping these into an online archive, disk space is cheap, etc. The Online Archive feature is basically what this is made for.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Holy smokes, I had to stay late because the sales guy decided an hour before quitting time that the "non-critical nice to have in the future" feature from Monday was all of a sudden hyper-critical for tomorrow's demo.

Isn't that normally where management says something like, "You should have said that earlier?"

Why do we have project managers or any managers at all if the sales people call the shots? :argh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mogomra posted:

Holy smokes, I had to stay late because the sales guy decided an hour before quitting time that the "non-critical nice to have in the future" feature from Monday was all of a sudden hyper-critical for tomorrow's demo.

Isn't that normally where management says something like, "You should have said that earlier?"

Why do we have project managers or any managers at all if the sales people call the shots? :argh:

Sales weasels promising the world then throwing everyone else under the bus, and management that doesn't call the sales guys on it. The best compromise I've seen bills back the emergency changes and features to the sales contract and sales guy's bonus, so they can promise all they want, but the bonus they get reflects how much extra work other people had to do.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was located at the Commercial Ink Jet facility in Kettering, OH - wasn't a bad gig up until they blew a million dollars on special cases for the salespeople's iPhones and iPads because Kodak was locked in a patent dispute with Apple and didn't want to have anyone see them associated with an Apple product. All I wanted was $2/hr more after having been there for almost 2 years with no raise and losing 2 of our desktop support guys and me left holding the bag as the last man standing. They laughed, I left. I was making $10k more a year at the new job, although it was healthcare IT, so that might be a wash. It did, however, lead to my current place of employment.
I live in Rochester and I've heard some similar stories. Shame to see how far they fell, and so fast. I'm really happy the bleeding's stopped and they're on track to profitability again, though as a shade of the company they once were. I collect old cameras and shoot film as a hobby, so I always root for our hometown hero.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Gyshall posted:

eh, we have client execs who have been with the company 20+ years or so and like knowing they "have" the emails. I have no problem with dumping these into an online archive, disk space is cheap, etc. The Online Archive feature is basically what this is made for.

I don't know how people can feel this way with the possibility of lawsuits dragging every email they've sent into open court. If they're unaware, that's one thing, but I've told people about it and they still go "So?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How is it that software is getting worse? Isn't it supposed to get better? WIndows 7 was the best OS ever, why make it worse with 8 and 10? I might be alone but Server 2008 R2 was amazing, why change to that lovely 2012 UI? Why was Firefox the perfect browser in 2006 but when I choose a browser in 2015 I'm just picking the one that annoys me the least?

You're getting old. Soon you're going to be caught yelling at the cloud.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mogomra posted:

I did sales engineering for a while. I'd get an email at 4:55 from the salesman/owner telling there was a demo at a client and to configure it and bring all the phone a and etc to the client tomorrow morning at 830. Now since I take a subway and a train home that meant I had to stay at the office until 10pm configuring and packing it all up then I could take it home since its I can't carry it all. Then I'd have to go back to the office in the morning at 7 to make sure it all worked and I'd find the other sales man/owner took all my stuff apart at 2am to test something unrelated.

Then I'd get to the client and the original sales guy wouldn't show up or he'd be an hour late. It was madness.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I loving hate supporting Bluetooth and soon our newest product will required 3 - 4 Bluetooth device to connect into a tablet or phone. Fun time are coming.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Today a 5 second power outage took down our datacenter for over an hour. Functioning UPS? What's that?

Maniaman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 20, 2015

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Maniaman posted:

Today a 5 second power outage took down our datacenter for over an hour. Functioning UPS? What's that?

I once work somewhere where the datacenter got took down while they were testing the UPS.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You're getting old. Soon you're going to be caught yelling at the cloud.
You're actually pretty spot on, because I stopped short of pointing this out. Old NES and SNES games are flawless, but new games require 10 patches just to be playable. March of progress my butt.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maniaman posted:

Do you not have any ups's or are they just broken? What kind of busted ups's are you running that don't do basic self tests?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

Do you not have any ups's or are they just broken? What kind of busted ups's are you running that don't do basic self tests?
I'm gonna guess the UPSes were purchased x years ago and the batteries died.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're actually pretty spot on, because I stopped short of pointing this out. Old NES and SNES games are flawless, but new games require 10 patches just to be playable. March of progress my butt.

I blame the most frequently used of design patterns: the Big Ball Of Mud.

quote:

While much attention has been focused on high-level software architectural patterns, what is, in effect, the de-facto standard software architecture is seldom discussed. This paper examines this most frequently deployed of software architectures: the Big Ball Of Mud. A BBOM is a casually, even haphazardly, structured system. Its organization, if one can call it that, is dictated more by expediency than design.

http://www.laputan.org/mud/

Plus, back in The Old Days, any piece of software was small. It had to be: if it got big, it wouldn't run, because there were no resources for being sloppy. Software was written by a couple of folks, certainly few enough that everyone could understand roughly what everyone else was planning on doing. It was written using tools that couldn't stand up to any sort of scale, with check-out/check-in version control (at best!) and edited in primitive editors with no semantic understanding of the code they were reading.

It's not like that anymore. We've got all this space and all this RAM, and code is developed by hundreds or thousands of people. No one really knows how everything fits together because the projects are too big, so it all gets glommed together in any way that appears to work. And as software gets more complicated, poorly tested edge cases get more common. And as more people use the software, less probable branches get executed more often. So you end up with crap that works, mostly, sort of, if you squint at it right. And then it gets patched fifteen times before it works right, and the patches themselves only mostly work, sort of, and it all stays broken.

E: today I learned that people have been making this argument about everything new since before vim and emacs replaced /bin/ed.

E2: Jesus, that article is from 1997. I wrote an email with the exact same arguments LAST WEEK.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 20, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How is it that software is getting worse? Isn't it supposed to get better? WIndows XP was the best OS ever, why make it worse with Vista and 7? I might be alone but Server 2003 R2 was amazing, why change to that lovely Aero UI? Why was Netscape the perfect browser in 1999 but when I choose a browser in 2008 I'm just picking the one that my client will support?

Socrates (469–399 B.C.) posted:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

:colbert:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Spoken like someone who's never had to port code from F77 to C. It was/is just as poo poo. Flow is easier/better now than assembly jumps, GOTOs, using shm, hand packing data structures, etc.

Sure, there are huge abstractfactoryfactory abominations, but this whole "the ide does all the work, nobody knows how it fits together" is like a bizarre naturalistic fallacy from people who aren't developers.

There are also a huge number of bugs in NES/SNES games documented all over the place that were sometimes hard to trigger, but often (rollovers on ints especially) just didn't come up often, because who's gonna tape down a turbo controller to buy a zillion potions one at a time?

Somebody. And many of the speed runs these days abuse the hell out of it.

TL;DR: code was just as bad even when you couldn't patch it and you were writing z80 assembler

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That was actually Aristophanes, paraphrased from The Clouds, itself a caricature of Socrates.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Maniaman posted:

Do we work together? 2 power outages in 2 weeks, neither of them more than 30 seconds, and the whole DC goes down and comes up (at least semi-gracefully, so that's nice).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Pedantic, but 'datacenter' conjures images for me of a third party hosting center, purpose built, run by one of the big names (Level 3, AT&T, etc). I am not saying "don't use datacenter if you don't mean that", after a second of thought it's obvious what you meant, but both of your posts did give me that nice initial gasp of holy poo poo what datacenter is this?

e: One of the trainer / sales people / vendor / I don't even know, just the 10 or 15 random poo poo emails I get per day that I ignore... one of them today sent me an email saying they've heard nothing from their attempts to contact me and if i I want to, I think the quote was, "tell me to piss off", they won't be offended. Holy poo poo my man, do you want to wake the dragon? What are you thinking, offering that up? Still, just ignored it, but man don't stick your head in the alligator's mouth if you don't want to get bit.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 20, 2015

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: One of the trainer / sales people / vendor / I don't even know, just the 10 or 15 random poo poo emails I get per day that I ignore... one of them today sent me an email saying they've heard nothing from their attempts to contact me and if i I want to, I think the quote was, "tell me to piss off", they won't be offended. Holy poo poo my man, do you want to wake the dragon? What are you thinking, offering that up? Still, just ignored it, but man don't stick your head in the alligator's mouth if you don't want to get bit.

Go on. Chomp down. Post the fallout for our amusement.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crowley posted:

(In other news I've just discovered Skyrim. Why didn't I play this before?)

Aaaaand we arent going to see you again for a month.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Can I rant about coworkers? Let's rant about coworkers.

1 - The Network Analayst. He's a bit arrogant, and is always any forever right.
2 - Tech 1. Used to work as Network Admin somewhere else. Eats chips at lunch. Sound makes me want to stab people in the face. Very christian.
3 - Tech 2. Very quiet. .... I don't talk to her often?
3 - IT Director.. He's very political.

Those guys don't piss me off. Actually they're pretty cool and decent people. I like them.

Tech 3 - Used to work at a factory. Very good with mechanical stuff like drilling holes for projectors. That's about it. He's not good at IT. Before I got access to systems (AD and Google Management with chromebooks :suicide:), I needed him to look something up. I asked him to look up XXX chromebook in google management for y information(Basic info - Dell messed up the motherboard identifiers and it was showing some long string of numbers instead of the proper service tag which was eating our CB licenses). He starts with our ticketing system. He looks at the tickets and goes "Huh". I'm like no, go to google management to see if the PPID is showing because the policy isn't updating properly. He then goes to AD. Can't find the computer (because it's not there). He goes "Huh". I told him GM again. He finally gets there. I had to walk him through it. Mind you, he's been doing "IT" for about 10 years, most of it as an intern, and he's been on full time for about 4 years now.

When I get access to a new system, I never go around doing things and clicking "OK" and with web based apps it's even worse. Google Management, many times if you click something it actually saves that setting instantly. It seems this tech decided to go around and "swing a big stick" as my Analyst calls it. He swung it, multiple times. Realized what he did. "Huh." To me there seems to be a mindset when it involves technology in general, especially when troubleshooting. He can't seem to do this. He's great with replacing parts, but anything more complex than replacing parts stumps him quickly.

I think the worst part about the guy is the noises he makes. He doesn't smoke but has a smoker's cough (and clears his throat like one), is constantly belching and farting unless tech 2 is around and suddenly has control over his basic bodily functions. More than happy to talk about said body functions unless, again, Tech 2 is around.

He also really writes really lovely guides on how to do things. It's impossible to decipher steps, sometimes they'll be half to a paragraph, multiple steps in a paragraph, there's no flow to it, it all reads really jankily and uses shorthands for servers. "Go to <server>" ... Do you mean go to the servers share folder \\<server>\<folder>\ or do you mean remote into the server, or do you mean walk over to it? Next: "On the new server" .... Did we just create a new server by going to it?

He also thinks he's awesome and bitches about the possible lost of a paid hour off each week because.. well.. It's a paid hour off that we get paid to do nothing, or like him, drink.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Lysdexique posted:

I had someone call in with a corrupted 55gb PST file.

He didn't know why it got corrupted.

edit: I think he had emails as late as 2007 in there.

How is 2007 late? Oh wait, that was 8 years ago. WHERE THE gently caress DID THE LAST EIGHT YEARS GO?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

In my last job we had a bunch of these ferropower UPSs and then we had a few UPC UPSs. So some student worker was told to take a laptop and a serial cable and plug it into every UPS and run this UPS check program and record the results. So she goes around and checks all the Ferropower UPSs no problems and then plugs the serial cable into the APC UPS and clicks the "check" button and it reboots the UPS. It was a Ferropower specific program, and it just so turns out that the serial command for the Ferrpower to very kindly return the current status is the same command for "hard cycle the APC UPS"

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
For shits and giggles I decided if I'm going to nuke that crappy old meeting room PC (that was taking 20 minutes to stop thrashing - no wonder, the hard drive was manufactured in 2006) in a vain attempt to "squeeze a bit more speed out of it" I might as well see how bad Windows 10 runs on it.

.... it goes like poo poo off a shovel. :o Relatively speaking. So either there was something very wrong with the Win7 installation, or Microsoft have done an excellent job optimising Windows 10. I don't know which, and wasn't expecting this kind of performance from such an old machine, so I'm going with the latter as it makes it look like I'm thinking outside the box (would you have ever thought "this PC is running slow, I'll speed it up by putting a newer OS on it!" - no, me neither) and you know what, I'm going to leave it as a Win10 guinea pig. Yep, throwing all caution to the wind and running a pre-release OS on a production PC. It's not used that much (people usually bring or borrow laptops) and wasn't usable before, it's usable now.. let's call it real world testing.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pedantic, but 'datacenter' conjures images for me of a third party hosting center, purpose built, run by one of the big names (Level 3, AT&T, etc). I am not saying "don't use datacenter if you don't mean that", after a second of thought it's obvious what you meant, but both of your posts did give me that nice initial gasp of holy poo poo what datacenter is this?

It's one of those words that seems to have been adopted by buzzword fans and so everything with a hard drive in it is a "datacenter" these days.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 20, 2015

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

FISHMANPET posted:

In my last job we had a bunch of these ferropower UPSs and then we had a few UPC UPSs. So some student worker was told to take a laptop and a serial cable and plug it into every UPS and run this UPS check program and record the results. So she goes around and checks all the Ferropower UPSs no problems and then plugs the serial cable into the APC UPS and clicks the "check" button and it reboots the UPS. It was a Ferropower specific program, and it just so turns out that the serial command for the Ferrpower to very kindly return the current status is the same command for "hard cycle the APC UPS"

If I recall, APC UPS units are little shits that will hard cycle if don't plug an "approved" (read: regular) cable in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wonder_Bread posted:

If I recall, APC UPS units are little shits that will hard cycle if don't plug an "approved" (read: regular) cable in.

Yep, they use a non-standard serial port wiring scheme which if I remember correctly matches their "reset now" pin with a data pin in a standard Cisco-style cable.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
poo poo that pissed me off yesterday... Comcast.

The VP of my company had an email that came to him disappear into the ether Sunday morning so I was trying to figure out what went wrong. I could not see that it ever hit out Barracuda but because he got someone else's reply to it we know that it was sent to him originally. After checking everything else I could but not having an NDR (VP didn't want to ask the person who sent it for the NDR) I decided to see if someone at Comcast could give me the NDR or at least the code from it.

Here is the chat log from that attempt.

Problem: I am trying to find an email address for someone who may be able to help me with an email issue. It has to do with an email coming FROM someone at comcast to my in house exchange server.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Hello *Trastion*, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Comcast_Rep_1. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Comcast_Rep_1 > I hope you're having a great day!

*Trastion* > My Issue: I am trying to find an email address for someone who may be able to help me with an email issue. It has to do with an email coming FROM someone at Comcast to my in house exchange server.

Comcast_Rep_1 > I understand that you have an issue with your email. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I will do my best to help you with it Mike.

Comcast_Rep_1 > May you please verify the issue to make sure I got it right.

*Trastion* > I am trying to track down an issue where someone with a @comcast.net email address sent an email to us and it never came through. I was hoping someone there might be able to help me track down if this was an issue with your servers or something in between. The Comcast user doesn't know if they got an NDR or not.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Thank you for letting me know Mike.

Comcast_Rep_1 > I would like to set an expectation Mike that we are only limited to resetting the password for your online account username or email.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Regarding this one I need to transfer you to our specific department who really handle email issues.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Would it be fine to you?

*Trastion* > I understand that. Yes that is exactly what I was hoping for

*Trastion* > I could not find anything on the site to point me to the proper people.

Comcast_Rep_1 > It is just fine Mike.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Hold on please while I transfer you to them now.

Comcast_Rep_1 > Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

[this line was automatically inserted by their system when he transferred me] *Trastion* > My Issue: I am trying to find an email address for someone who may be able to help me with an email issue. It has to do with an email coming FROM someone at Comcast to my in house exchange server.

Comcast_Rep_2 > Hi

*Trastion* > hello

*Trastion* > I am trying to track down an issue where someone with a @comcast.net email address sent an email to us and it never came through. I was hoping someone there might be able to help me track down if this was an issue with your servers or something in between. The Comcast user doesn't know if they got an NDR or not.

Comcast_Rep_2 > As I understand you have an issue with email that you have not received yet, correct ?

*Trastion* > Yes. An email was sent from a Comcast user **********@comcast.net to VP@MyCompany.com and about 15 more people CC'd in on May 17, 2015 at 6:10:05 AM EDT. Everyone received the email except for VP@MyCompany.com

*Trastion* > He has had back and forth emails with this person so they normally come through. This one for some reason did not. I am trying to track down why it failed to make sure there is not an issue with our system.

Comcast_Rep_2 > I do understand your concern , but I really apologize for this inconveniences , That is an issue to fix this email concern I will need to connect you with a person who is from technical department .
Comcast_Rep_2 > May I have the permission to connect you with tech department ?

*Trastion* > yes please do. [Missed my chance to add “the needful” on here. Doh!]

Comcast_Rep_2 > Sure,

Comcast_Rep_2 > I will be happy to get you in touch with the correct department. Comcast values your business. Please stay connected to the chat while I transfer you.

Comcast_Rep_2 > Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

[again added to the chat by their system] *Trastion* > My Issue: I am trying to find an email address for someone who may be able to help me with an email issue. It has to do with an email coming FROM someone at Comcast to my in house exchange server.

*Trastion* > Hello

COMCAST_REP_3 > Welcome to Comcast! I hope your day is going well.

*Trastion* > Not to bad, just trying to track down an email issue. :)

*Trastion* > Can you see the chat log from when i was talking to Comcast_Rep_2 and the guy before him? Or should I copy & paste it back in for you?

COMCAST_REP_3 > Yes, I can. :)

COMCAST_REP_3 > One second please.

COMCAST_REP_3 > Before we proceed, Mike, just to clarify. This is for business account. Will that be correct?

*Trastion* > Technically yes we have a business account with you but we do not use your email service with it. We have an in house exchange server. The outside user who sent the email was using a Comcast email though.

COMCAST_REP_3 > For the account integrity, kindly verify the name on the account. Thank you!

*Trastion* > I am just trying to see if someone can provide me with any possible NDR that would have been generated when your system failed to send this message to us so I can figure out why we never received it.

COMCAST_REP_3 > I understand the importance of having full access and manage to email. I'll do everything I can to get this working for you before we finish this chat!

*Trastion* > *Company Name*
COMCAST_REP_3 > Much appreciated, thank you so much.

*Trastion* > Account number is ****************

COMCAST_REP_3 > What username are you using to access your account?

COMCAST_REP_3 > Is it, *name of Comcast customer that sent the email*?

*Trastion* > I am not accessing our account. The email is coming from *******@comcast.net to our system

COMCAST_REP_3 > Thanks for the info.

COMCAST_REP_3 > Alright! Mike, when we say, the email is coming from that Comcast username going to your system. Does that mean, an another Comcast username or email? If yes, what is it suppose to be.

COMCAST_REP_3 > Thank you.

*Trastion* > An email was sent from a comcast user *********@comcast.net to VP@MyCompany.com and about 15 more people CC'd in on May 17, 2015 at 6:10:05 AM EDT. Everyone received the email except for VP@MyCompany.com

COMCAST_REP_3 > Alright. The main concern is, your Comcast email failed to send the email message to one specific email address, Mike, is that correct?

*Trastion* > The comcast email is not our email account. It is another user who happens to use comcast also. They sent the email to VP@MyCompany.com which is an account on our inhouse Exchange server. The email never arrived and I am trying to track down why it did not arrive to our server. I was hoping your system had received a Non-Delivery Report that might tell us why it was never received.

All of a sudden my phone rings. It is Comcast_Rep_3. She tells me that she needs to transfer me but to someone on the phone. She tells me I need to exit the chat before she can do this. I saved the transcript first and exited it. She also tells me that she put all the info I gave her into the system so I would not have to repeat it all again.

So the transfer goes through and I am talking to Comcast_Phone_Rep_1. She has no clue what my issue is, claims nothing is in the system and I have to try to explain it all again. After about 20+ minutes of her not understanding and telling me that no one can get that info for me because it is not on her list of things I get her to ask a supervisor. She comes back and repeats the same thing so I ask to speak to the supervisor.

I was surprised when he actually got on the phone. He actually understood what was going on but told me that the person who sent the email would have to call in to get the NDR. I kind of understand this part but at this point I am already frustrated with their incompetence. I try to explain that it would just be a common IT courtesy for them to look up the NDR and just even tell me the error code. I don't even need/want the actual NDR. Just the code.

He wouldn't listen to reason though. gently caress Comcast.

tldr: gently caress Comcast.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You called Comcast because you didn't get an email from them, oh honey, that was always going to happen. Story gave me a laugh, though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You called Comcast because you didn't get an email from them, oh honey, that was always going to happen. Story gave me a laugh, though.

Yeah I knew it wasn't likely to give me anything but I was bored. It made an hour fly by. :) Besides I can tell the VP that I did all I can.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah, I love-and-hate those situations where you already know how it's going to end, but still have to go through the motions. Hell, I posted in this very thread on December 31st, New Years Eve itself, that my management had decided that it was suddenly the most important thing in the world that I contact a vendor about a vulnerability and try to have them patch it so that we could scan clean by the end of the day (end of the year). As though anyone is doing work on December 31st. That was a fun couple of hours of half-hearted phone tag.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Bought the in-laws a new laptop, spend hours configuring and transferring files, find out today they're still using the old computer because they're scared of change.

It amazes me that they have regularly used computers for work and home since the 80s but Google is too scary to use.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bigass Moth posted:

It amazes me that they have regularly used computers for work and home since the 80s but Google is too scary to use.

This is one of the things that baffles me - you'll have a user that has issues and immediately goes "I'm not good with computers!!!!" even though it is a critical tool they use all day every day.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gyshall posted:

This is one of the things that baffles me - you'll have a user that has issues and immediately goes "I'm not good with computers!!!!" even though it is a critical tool they use all day every day.

This is because learning is hard, they tried it once in high school, and swore to never try it again. The computer is a magical box full of inscrutable and incomprehensible things, which they have no idea how to decypher. What do you mean I should read the error code? "Error 6105: Printer out of paper, add paper to tray 1?" How was I supposed to know that meant I should add paper to the printer?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

These are people who follow a set of steps to do their job, while having no understanding of what they are actually doing. And if step 4 in 'open my email' doesn't work, no troubleshooting is done because they have no idea how anything works, just that it is 'broken'.

The worst part? This is the majority of users.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
poo poo that's pissing me off:

Our outsourced DBA/DW/SQL guy is prohibited from doing anything by the CFO unless the CFO signs off on it first.

Including one hour's billable work to write me a SQL query that'll take around 275 lines from an Excel sheet and spit out why they failed to go through EDI for a client.

Guess what I'm spending four hours on?

Bonus: this totals more than $260,000 of invoices in question and they won't spend $175 to check it in five minutes and figure out what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

People who don't use whiteboards as explain technical concepts that are several paragraphs deep. There's a reason we have or in every cube and every office.

Don' tell me, show me what you're trying to explain.