Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was a pretty deep book about the horrors of war.

Same; as a one-off book, it did a great job tying all these usual Discworld tropes and themes together to illustrate that war is a hell of a thing that always has a profound effect on society before, during, and after the fact. Polly getting asked about what Borogravians are proud of is a great moment that speaks volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Monsterous Regiment is about systems that have broken down and failed the people that they are supposed to serve. Military, governmental, religious, all have completely failed.

Also it's about internalized sexism and deeply ingrained patriarchal thinking.

It's a great book.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was a pretty deep book about the horrors of war.

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo, and much better to boot. Beyond that it all it had was a twist that a glance at the cover made obvious.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Alhazred posted:

The Last Continent pretty bad. It's basically just a bunch of dad jokes about Australia.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You obviously didn't grow up in New Zealand.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arbite posted:

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo, and much better to boot. Beyond that it all it had was a twist that a glance at the cover made obvious.

The twist in Monstrous Regiment isn't Sweet Polly Oliver, it's how far the twist is taken: to a hilariously stupid and yet subtly horrifying degree considering that even the all-female high command would let the Ins-and-Outs take the heat despite being in the position to change things.

Gravitas Shortfall summed up why I like the book really well: war had eroded Borogravian society to the point that it didn't even need to be happening at present to destroy lives.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Arbite posted:

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo

I completely disagree. Jingo covered the horrors of war from the top down. Monstrous Regiment covers the horrors of war from the bottom up. They complement each other.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Monstrous Regiment is so intensely meta as a piece of writing. So the events come to an abrupt end with a deus ex machina, in the form of a deus ex machina - the duchess has been elevated to the state of divine, and is carried around inside a woman (a crude slang term for which is "box")

The plot is resolved in a god in a box fashion by a god in a box.

Add on to this that reducing a woman to her genitals as you are with calling her a box is one of the more potent forms of sexism, in a book that is about overcoming sexism

The guy worked on a :psyduck: level of his craft, structuring the entire novel around a pun based inversion of the theme that serves as an intrinsic criticism of the pun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That was Pterry for you.

He worked on SO many levels, especially at his height.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've been meaning to re-read and write about the series for ages, and since Pratchett died it seemed like a good time to do it. Kicked off with The Colour of Magic, which held up much better than my first memories of it when I was 12 or 13: https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/rereading-discworld-the-colour-of-magic/

Going to be doing the whole series and indexing the reviews here if anyone's interested in following along: https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/rereading-discworld/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Membership booking for the 2016 Discworld Convention opened about ten minutes ago. If you plan to go I recommend booking now - almost 200 memberships have gone already.

E: Make that 250. at this rate it will be booked out in around two hours.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Re-reading Carpe Jugulum it's pretty funny to watch Granny Weatherwax constantly question if the events in Small Gods really took place. I also noticed that in both Nightwatch and Carpe Jugulum that Borogravia is referenced as a powder keg and if it explodes it will affect both Lancre and Ankh-Morpork.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pratchett never answered the Muntab question.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pratchett never answered the Muntab question.

Yes, he did.

"What is the Muntab question?"

570 DWCon memberships sold so far, that's over two thirds capacity.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Jedit posted:

Yes, he did.

"What is the Muntab question?"

570 DWCon memberships sold so far, that's over two thirds capacity.

Pretty sure it was "Where's Muntab?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GodFish posted:

Pretty sure it was "Where's Muntab?"
Yeah, I thought it was "Where the hell is Muntab?" myself too for some reason.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You are both correct, and that other guy is wrong.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just received my copy of "A Slip of the Keyboard". My joy at opening the box was dimmed by an accolade by gurm on the back cover. Ironic absolute fucker.

Recently started a re-readthrough of discworld (Color of Magic so far) and will prabably wait until I get through them all before cracking open A Slip.

Edit: just read the forward by Gaiman, and it crushed me. :(

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 15, 2015

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I think we talk about this every couple of pages, but any Non-Discworld novels I should read? I've already read Good Omens (and didn't quite like it), have Nation on my book pile and currently going through A Blink of the Screen. Is The long Earth good? The short story in ABotS makes it seem interesting.

Also, how are the Folklore/Science of Discworld books?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nation is fantastic.

Dodger is OK.

The Long Earth series is pretty meh, it's an interesting world with a pretty dull story. I gave up after the second one.

Good Omens is amazing.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I can now confirm that Nation is p. cool. Bought Dodger and The Dark Side of the Sun, mostly because I look forward to what PTerry might have managed with Sci Fi. Totally forgot about The Long Earth while at the bookstore.

Really I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now after downing the like first 30 Discworld novels in 1-2 years. I've gotten my fair share of entertainment already. Maybe next I'll just suck up and read the post Thud novels, I stopped there when I could feel the writing getting worse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Have you read The Bromeliad Trilogy or any of Johnny Maxwell books? Both are pretty decent. I'd say somewhere around the middle of the Discworld quality scale.

There's also The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which you may have missed, since it's only tangentially related to the Disc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Really I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now after downing the like first 30 Discworld novels in 1-2 years. I've gotten my fair share of entertainment already. Maybe next I'll just suck up and read the post Thud novels, I stopped there when I could feel the writing getting worse.

To be fair, the only post Thud novel that's really bad is Unseen Academicals.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 20, 2015

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, the only book post Thud novel that's really bad is Unseen Academicals.

I thought it was better than Raising Steam. That almost comes off as downright fanficcy in parts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, the only post Thud novel that's really bad is Unseen Academicals.
Unseen Academicals worked better for me than Making Money, Snuff, or Raising Steam. I think it's having mostly new characters, so nobody's characterization gets messed up.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Reading through Men at Arms again, I noticed a detail that's always bothered me: Edward d'Eath mentions that a child was rescued from a bandit attack and "raised by Discworld dwarves." Why the distinction? It's like saying "he was raised by Earth humans".

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
I just finished the first two Discworld books, I found them readable and enjoyable but far from the hype I have heard about them. They seem very Young Adult Fiction and the jokes and tone got hard to keep dealing with after several hundred pages. I probably won't pick up the 3rd book in the series unless I can find a very compelling reason to do so. I did however find Rincewind a very funny character and might look for more of his books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should pick up the third book. The first two were kind of a warm-up for the author.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Reading through Men at Arms again, I noticed a detail that's always bothered me: Edward d'Eath mentions that a child was rescued from a bandit attack and "raised by Discworld dwarves." Why the distinction? It's like saying "he was raised by Earth humans".

Some of the early writing does have some slightly janky prose like that, TBH, and MaA is quite early on. Before he really found his style there were a lot more real-world references.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Have you read The Bromeliad Trilogy or any of Johnny Maxwell books? Both are pretty decent. I'd say somewhere around the middle of the Discworld quality scale.

There's also The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which you may have missed, since it's only tangentially related to the Disc.

There's also some really old scifi he did. Strata is kinda proto-discish, and there's another one I can't remember the name of. Kind of fun if rather bland space opera ish. Still, not, you know, actively terrible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

withak posted:

You should pick up the third book.
That'd be Equal Rites. Maybe the fourth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You should try Wyrd Sisters and/or Guards! Guards!

Nobody hypes up the first books.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cicadalek posted:

If I recall directly, he does make a distinction between dwarves of various regions in later books, so that may just have been a poorly edited precursor to that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It gets really good with Guards! Guards!

His early stuff was when he was finding his feet and the thing was more of a tongue and cheek poke at eighties fantasy novels than well, being the thing it is now well known.

gently caress I hate writing about Terry in the past tense :smith:.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hedrigall posted:

The more I hear about Snuff and Raising Steam the more depressed I get. I might just have to leave them unread forever. Everything else is golden though, right?

This is me too, though I got probated for saying that earlier in the thread, haha. Poor bugger just wasn't very good at writing in the latter stages of his illness :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thespaceinvader posted:

Some of the early writing does have some slightly janky prose like that, TBH, and MaA is quite early on. Before he really found his style there were a lot more real-world references.

Yeah, I think Guards, Guards is the best place to start for that reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

This is me too, though I got probated for saying that earlier in the thread, haha. Poor bugger just wasn't very good at writing in the latter stages of his illness :smith:

For "very" substitute "as". I'd rather read later Pratchett than most other writers.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Not very good as compared to Pratchetts normal standard, yes.
In comparison to most other crap fantasy books out there, they were well written and to a large extent enjoyable. It all depends on your reference frame.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Honestly, if the person trusts me and I know they'll stick with it, I tend to recommend they start at book one and go through in publication order. There are just so many jokes that build on each other; I think you really get the best experience that way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiac posted:

Not very good as compared to Pratchetts normal standard, yes.
In comparison to most other crap fantasy books out there, they were well written and to a large extent enjoyable. It all depends on your reference frame.

This is probably fair, I confess I only skimmed them; he had such marvellous precision at his height that I would have found the sloppiness awful and saddening, knowing the reason behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Guards! Guards! is as far back as I've gone (wait, was Mort earlier?) and it seems a very different style than the later books to me...